Why God forsake Jesus?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Psalm 22:1-2 said:
1 My God, my God, why have You forsaken me?
Far from my help are the words of my groaning.
2 My God, I cry out by day, but You do not answer;
And by night, but I have no rest.
Jesus identifies with us in our humanity. And that Psalm well captures the human condition.

Last edited:

ShineTheLight

May 7, 2021
Beaverton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jesus identifies with us in our human condition. And that Psalm captures the human condition all too well.

Christ was the lamb of sacrifice. This was a foreshadow of it.

Genesis 22: 6-8
6 And Abraham took the wood of the burnt offering, and laid it upon Isaac his son; and he took the fire in his hand, and a knife; and they went both of them together.
7 And Isaac spake unto Abraham his father, and said, My father: and he said, Here am I, my son. And he said, Behold the fire and the wood: but where is the lamb for a burnt offering?
8 And Abraham said, My son, God will provide himself a lamb for a burnt offering: so they went both of them together.

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hello My Dreams,

From my observations which could be wrong. Jesus gave up the Christ in Him, and the body which Jesus willingly died in, became sin for us. That is why the Christ in him left, (God in him) forsaking that body until raising it up again on the third day. Justifying the payment of sin for all people forever more.

Jesus in humanity experienced what it was like to have God leave him, or forsake him.

have you forsaken
ἐγκατέλιπες (enkatelipes)
Verb - Aorist Indicative Active - 2nd Person Singular
Strong's 1459: From en and kataleipo; to leave behind in some place, i.e. let remain over, or to desert.

Hope this helps.

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Christ was the lamb of sacrifice. This was a foreshadow of it.

Genesis 22: 6-8
6 And Abraham took the wood of the burnt offering, and laid it upon Isaac his son; and he took the fire in his hand, and a knife; and they went both of them together.
7 And Isaac spake unto Abraham his father, and said, My father: and he said, Here am I, my son. And he said, Behold the fire and the wood: but where is the lamb for a burnt offering?
8 And Abraham said, My son, God will provide himself a lamb for a burnt offering: so they went both of them together.
Great picture type here.

Reactions: My Dreams

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
God didn't forsake him.
In Jesus' extreme agony it appeared to Jesus that God had forsaken him but God hadn't. God was there suffering with him.
It is us (humans) who had forsaken him.
It is interesting, though. I don’t believe it was a feeling. But an actuality, of course faithfully, Qt.

Hebrews 5:7
While Jesus was here on earth, he offered prayers and pleadings, with a loud cry and tears, to the one who could rescue him from death. And God heard his prayers because of his deep reverence for God.

I believe that Jesus had hope of being redeemed and resurrected and glorified in his heart and soul. Jesus also have God within Him, as Christ.

2 Corinthians 5:19 It was God [personally present] in Christ, reconciling and restoring the world to favor with Himself, not counting up and holding against [men] their trespasses [but cancelling them], and committing to us the message of reconciliation (of the restoration to favor).

2 Corinthians 5:19 I mean that God was in Christ, making peace between the world and himself. In Christ, God did not hold people guilty for their sins. And he gave us this message of peace to tell people.

With this in mind, of God being in Christ, let’s look at the cross one more time, by the subject matter. You have the Pharisees wragging their heads at Jesus, mocking him, and then Jesus cries out.

”Now from the sixth hour there was darkness over all the land unto the ninth hour. And about the ninth hour Jesus cried with a loud voice, saying, Eli, Eli, lama sabachthani? that is to say, My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me?“
‭‭Matthew‬ ‭27‬:‭45‬-‭46‬ ‭KJV‬‬

have you forsaken
ἐγκατέλιπες (enkatelipes)
Verb - Aorist Indicative Active - 2nd Person Singular
Strong's 1459: From en and kataleipo; to leave behind in some place, i.e. let remain over, or to desert.

Many people desire to express that Jesus is feeling this way. However, it’s a reality in which God had forsaken the Body which Jesus had given up in order for it to be the sacrifice for sins forever after three days in which God resurrected the only Begotten Son of God. If God was in Christ. And Jesus had the ability to lay down his own life or not, God not being able to indwell sin that had partaken in that body (the Law fully), given forth the weight and sting of death, in order to reconcile everything back to the way it was in the Garden. God forsake Jesus, and while Jesus still had hope, God left him there to die. Which somewhere is mentioned in Psalms where it pleased God to crush his son, because of the eternal precious blood that outweighed sin, having been the very word of God.

It’s interesting to think about, the abandoned house of Jesus no longer “Christ” because God in Christ, left him. Jesus was left utterly alone, and died on the cross.

Jesus identifies with us in our humanity. And that Psalm captures the human condition all too well.
Which psalms do you have in mind?

Last edited:

Aunty Jane

Sep 16, 2021
Sydney
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
My God, My God, Why Have You Forsaken Me?
If God had not withdrawn his protective spirit from his son at that moment, he could not have offered his life for mankind. He was forsaken for that brief moment when he breathed his last, and the deed was done, as Jesus said…”it is finished”…his mission was accomplished, and after three days and nights in the grave, he would rise in triumph, and set mankind free from sin and death.

JohnDB

Feb 7, 2010
TN
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jesus was singing a song they knew well...trying to tell people not to give up hope.

Psalms 22
My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?
Why are you so far from saving me,
so far from my cries of anguish?
2 My God, I cry out by day, but you do not answer,
by night, but I find no rest.[b]
3 Yet you are enthroned as the Holy One;
you are the one Israel praises.[c]
4 In you our ancestors put their trust;
they trusted and you delivered them.
5 To you they cried out and were saved;
in you they trusted and were not put to shame.
6 But I am a worm and not a man,
scorned by everyone, despised by the people.
7 All who see me mock me;
they hurl insults, shaking their heads.
8 “He trusts in the Lord,” they say,
“let the Lord rescue him.
Let him deliver him,
since he delights in him.”
9 Yet you brought me out of the womb;
you made me trust in you, even at my mother’s breast.
10 From birth I was cast on you;
from my mother’s womb you have been my God.
11 Do not be far from me,
for trouble is near
and there is no one to help.
12 Many bulls surround me;
strong bulls of Bashan encircle me.
13 Roaring lions that tear their prey
open their mouths wide against me.
14 I am poured out like water,
and all my bones are out of joint.
My heart has turned to wax;
it has melted within me.
15 My mouth[d] is dried up like a potsherd,
and my tongue sticks to the roof of my mouth;
you lay me in the dust of death.
16 Dogs surround me,
a pack of villains encircles me;
they pierce[e] my hands and my feet.
17 All my bones are on display;
people stare and gloat over me.
18 They divide my clothes among them
and cast lots for my garment.
19 But you, Lord, do not be far from me.
You are my strength; come quickly to help me.
20 Deliver me from the sword,
my precious life from the power of the dogs.
21 Rescue me from the mouth of the lions;
save me from the horns of the wild oxen.
22 I will declare your name to my people;
in the assembly I will praise you.
23 You who fear the Lord, praise him!
All you descendants of Jacob, honor him!
Revere him, all you descendants of Israel!
24 For he has not despised or scorned
the suffering of the afflicted one;
he has not hidden his face from him
but has listened to his cry for help.
25 From you comes the theme of my praise in the great assembly;
before those who fear you[f] I will fulfill my vows.
26 The poor will eat and be satisfied;
those who seek the Lord will praise him—
may your hearts live forever!
27 All the ends of the earth
will remember and turn to the Lord,
and all the families of the nations
will bow down before him,
28 for dominion belongs to the Lord
and he rules over the nations.
29 All the rich of the earth will feast and worship;
all who go down to the dust will kneel before him—
those who cannot keep themselves alive.
30 Posterity will serve him;
future generations will be told about the Lord.
31 They will proclaim his righteousness,
declaring to a people yet unborn:
He has done it!

JohnDB

Feb 7, 2010
TN
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Look carefully at Psalms 22:24....
I really am very VERY frightened to go beyond what is written.

For he has not despised or scorned

Jethro2

Oct 28, 2023
jerusalem
Faith
Other Faith
Country
Israel

Some translate the op as "My Elohim, My YHVH, for this I have been appointed" --- a total surrender to Abba's Purpose as always, perfectly and totally willingly.

Jay Ross

Jun 20, 2011
QLD
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
A book that I purchased that looks similar was titled "Expository Dictionary of Biblical Words", Stephen D. Renn Editor.

ISBN 1-56563-938-3

First Printed 2005

Hope this helps.

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

By the way, you've brought out an important principle here: When the NT writers quote the scriptures, they're often not just pointing out the verse quoted; they're also bringing attention to the entire context. In this case, the Psalmist first expresses his sense of abandonment, but finishes by expressing his trust that God will, in the end, vindicate him.

(I am indebted to Richard Hays' Echoes of Scripture in the Letters of Paul for pointing this out.)

• Love
Reactions: Debp and JohnDB

JohnDB

Feb 7, 2010
TN
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
By the way, you've brought out an important principle here: When the NT writers quote the scriptures, they're often not just pointing out the verse quoted; they're also bringing attention to the entire context. In this case, the Psalmist first expresses his sense of abandonment, but finishes by expressing his trust that God will, in the end, vindicate him.

(I am indebted to Richard Hays' Echoes of Scripture in the Letters of Paul for pointing this out.)
Exactly....which is why John encourages us to speak to one another in psalms....meaning we can have a conversation using various psalms to express more than what is being said flatly and the others around us that do not know psalms are clueless as to what is being said. These psalms do not have to necessarily come strictly from the book of Psalms but also may come from prophesy or history books in the scriptures that contain psalms or songs.
This was in part due to the persecution the Christians were facing from both Rome and Jews. And I don't think that we should forget this practice....it might come in handy again one day.

Reactions: Lambano

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Reactions: TLHKAJ and Jethro2

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

You are right, but you still have the forsaken part for a moment of time, there is no way to just contradict the saying.