Why hadn't the baptized believers in Samaria received the Holy Spirit?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
“Members” is an interesting word. It can mean a literal body part as in going into surgery to have one of your members amputated.

Then the definition God gives to “members” of the body.

Know you not your bodies are the members of Christ? Shall I take the members of Christ, and make them the members of an harlot? God forbid.
for the body is one, and has many members, and all the members of that one body, being many are one body; so also is Christ.
For is not one member, but many.
nay, much more those members of the body, which seems to be more feeble, (which we think to be less honorable), are necessary. (For His strength is made perfect in weakness?)
now you are the body, and members in particular.
This Mystery is that the Gentiles are fellow heirs, members of the same body….
Wherefore put off lying, speak every man truth to his neighbor: for you are members of one another.
For you are members of His body, of His flesh, and of His bones.
Even so the tongue is a little member and boast great things. behold how a great matter a little fire kindles.
The tongue is a fire, a world of inquity: so is the tongue among our members. that defiles the whole body. (When one member suffers the whole body suffers, when one member is honored the whole body is honored)
From where comes war and fightings among you. Come they not here, even your lust that war in your members?
Are any to be members of a harlot rather than of the Body of Christ? How many remain double minded seemingly trying to get the best of both worlds?

Jas 4:8Draw nigh to God, and he will draw nigh to you.Cleanse your hands, ye sinners; and purify your hearts, ye double minded

Jas 1:8A double minded man is unstable in all his ways.
Another way to express this doublemindedness is "fenceriders" or "lukewarm" as per...

Re 3:15I know thy works, that thou art neither cold nor hot: I would thou wert cold or hot.
Re 3:16So then because thou art lukewarm, and neither cold nor hot, I will spue thee out of my mouth.

And then concerning gangrenous members:

Ro 11:22Behold therefore the goodness and severity of God: on them which fell, severity; but toward thee, goodness, if thou continue in his goodness: otherwise thou also shalt be cut off.
Mt 5:29And if thy right eye offend thee, pluck it out, and cast it from thee: for it is profitable for thee that one of thy members should perish, and not that thy whole body should be cast into hell.
Mt 5:30And if thy right hand offend thee, cut it off, and cast it from thee: for it is profitable for thee that one of thy members should perish, and not that thy whole body should be cast into hell.

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Are any to be members of a harlot rather than of the Body of Christ? How many remain double minded seemingly trying to get the best of both worlds?

Jas 4:8Draw nigh to God, and he will draw nigh to you.Cleanse your hands, ye sinners; and purify your hearts, ye double minded

Jas 1:8A double minded man is unstable in all his ways.
Another way to express this doublemindedness is "fenceriders" or "lukewarm" as per...

Re 3:15I know thy works, that thou art neither cold nor hot: I would thou wert cold or hot.
Re 3:16So then because thou art lukewarm, and neither cold nor hot, I will spue thee out of my mouth.

And then concerning gangrenous members:

Ro 11:22Behold therefore the goodness and severity of God: on them which fell, severity; but toward thee, goodness, if thou continue in his goodness: otherwise thou also shalt be cut off.
Mt 5:29And if thy right eye offend thee, pluck it out, and cast it from thee: for it is profitable for thee that one of thy members should perish, and not that thy whole body should be cast into hell.
Mt 5:30And if thy right hand offend thee, cut it off, and cast it from thee: for it is profitable for thee that one of thy members should perish, and not that thy whole body should be cast into hell.
Romans 12:1 I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that you present your bodies (your members) a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service.

I noticed this morning in reading the verse of the day, how one small shift gives another perspective. consider how Paul said “that I may present you (members of the body) unto Christ”.

one minor removing of my body (eyes, hand, feet) changes everything by inserting His body (eyes, hand, feet) as the definition of “bodies” ….by the mercies of God present your members a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service..
wow. Leading into a passage of the members of the body of Christ that opening of “present your bodies” … “present your members” as Paul kept saying “that I may present you with me”❤️ also makes me think how we can eat the right foods to not poison our bodies, but when we condemn our members of one another, we poison the whole body.

• Love
Reactions: amadeus

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Romans 12:1 I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that you present your bodies (your members) a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service.

I noticed this morning in reading the verse of the day, how one small shift gives another perspective. consider how Paul said “that I may present you (members of the body) unto Christ”.

one minor removing of my body (eyes, hand, feet) changes everything by inserting His body (eyes, hand, feet) as the definition of “bodies” ….by the mercies of God present your members a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service..
wow. Leading into a passage of the members of the body of Christ that opening of “present your bodies” … “present your members” as Paul kept saying “that I may present you with me”❤️ also makes me think how we can eat the right foods to not poison our bodies, but when we condemn our members of one another, we poison the whole body.
Proper nourishment is extremely important:
Joh 6:53Then Jesus said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Except ye eat the flesh of the Son of man, and drink his blood, ye have no life in you.
Joh 6:54Whoso eateth my flesh, and drinketh my blood, hath eternal life; and I will raise him up at the last day.
Joh 6:55For my flesh is meat indeed, and my blood is drink indeed.
Joh 6:56He that eateth my flesh, and drinketh my blood, dwelleth in me, and I in him.

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Joh 6:53Then Jesus said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Except ye eat the flesh of the Son of man, and drink his blood, ye have no life in you.
Joh 6:54Whoso eateth my flesh, and drinketh my blood, hath eternal life; and I will raise him up at the last day.
Joh 6:56He that eateth my flesh, and drinketh my blood, dwelleth in me, and I in him.
TONS OF PROPER NOURISHMENT in that bible . lambs eat of it .
A reminder .
The jews once said can this man give us his flesh to eat and his blood to drink .
later JESUS says , MY WORDS are SPIRIT and they are LIFE .
and they are the MEAT OF THE LAMBS that they do feast upon .
Now raise those hands and let the glorious LORD be praised . Lambs love TRUTH
for GOD has shed the LOVE FOR HIM , FOR CHRIST , WHO IS THE TRUTH upon our hearts .
CHARITY , aka love , REJOICES IN THE TRUTH . And WE KNOW GOD IS TRUTH , WE KNOW HIS WORD IS TRUTH
we know HIS WORDS are TRUTH . AS HIS SPIRIT IS TRUTH as HE IS TRUTH .
THUS if a man loveth not truth , THEN it dont matter if they are and appear to be loving and kind and hugs everything
I tell us this man has not charity and does not KNOW the TRUTH , NOR THE AUTHOR of TRUTH , WHO IS THE TRUTH .
Just something to DEEPLY ponder on the next time some man tries to come up
and say , OH those things JESUS taught or the apostels taught were for another time and dont apply to us .
Cause if a man do that , Then know and understand we got us a deiever in the house . EVERY WORD of GOD
is good for the soul of a lamb .

Godslittleservant

Aug 28, 2023
Kansas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
TONS OF PROPER NOURISHMENT in that bible . lambs eat of it .
A reminder .
The jews once said can this man give us his flesh to eat and his blood to drink .
later JESUS says , MY WORDS are SPIRIT and they are LIFE .
and they are the MEAT OF THE LAMBS that they do feast upon .
Now raise those hands and let the glorious LORD be praised . Lambs love TRUTH
for GOD has shed the LOVE FOR HIM , FOR CHRIST , WHO IS THE TRUTH upon our hearts .
CHARITY , aka love , REJOICES IN THE TRUTH . And WE KNOW GOD IS TRUTH , WE KNOW HIS WORD IS TRUTH
we know HIS WORDS are TRUTH . AS HIS SPIRIT IS TRUTH as HE IS TRUTH .
THUS if a man loveth not truth , THEN it dont matter if they are and appear to be loving and kind and hugs everything
I tell us this man has not charity and does not KNOW the TRUTH , NOR THE AUTHOR of TRUTH , WHO IS THE TRUTH .
Just something to DEEPLY ponder on the next time some man tries to come up
and say , OH those things JESUS taught or the apostels taught were for another time and dont apply to us .
Cause if a man do that , Then know and understand we got us a deiever in the house . EVERY WORD of GOD
is good for the soul of a lamb .
This is good you post this. So you agree that as Mark 16:16 says he that believes the gospel of Christ and is baptized shall be save and that Peter made the declaration in Acts 2;38 when he said repent and be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sin and you shall receive the indwelling spirit of Christ. So yes that is truth those words are spirit and life yes the baptism in Christ name does indeed remit (wash away) sin and we do receive the indwelling spirit through this baptism just as it is recorded for us. Yes indeed those word are spirit and life!! can I get an amen!!! Yes praise the Lord for the truth.

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This is good you post this. So you agree that as Mark 16:16 says he that believes the gospel of Christ and is baptized shall be save and that Peter made the declaration in Acts 2;38 when he said repent and be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sin and you shall receive the indwelling spirit of Christ. So yes that is truth those words are spirit and life yes the baptism in Christ name does indeed remit (wash away) sin and we do receive the indwelling spirit through this baptism just as it is recorded for us. Yes indeed those word are spirit and life!! can I get an amen!!! Yes praise the Lord for the truth.
Very simple indeed . IF the early church did it then we do it . All things JESUS taught and later the apostels taught
in their letters , the lambs simply eat of every word . Being hearers and doers of the Word .
The truth is , many a sinner has entered into the water chambers a dry sinner
to be raised but a wet sinner . NO CONVERSION OF JESUS , BECAUSE THEIR FAITH was not TRULY in HIM .
A lamb will beleive and a lamb will do . The early church did it ,then we do it . Let no man
take from that pattern given us in the scriptures . IF they do , DO NOT HEED such a man no matter
how well a speaker he seemth to be . And when i say the things JESUS and the apostels taught
i mean ALL THINGS . not what we pick and choose while omitting others . ALL HIS sayings are meat for our soul .
Now i do remember peter getting them water baptized even after the house of cornelous had recieved the SPIRIT and spoke with tongues .
THUS if they did it , we do it . But know this , many have their faith in the doctrines and institutions of men
and have rather come to the water to be baptized in the name of their other jesus . YOU UNDERSTAND
why i didnt capitlize that jesus , RIGHT . Cause it aint JESUS , its simply the image of another jesus
that was created in the image of men who desired pre eminence for themselves and thus taught things they should
never once have taught . IF the heart , trust , faith is not in JESUS CHRIST
then the water baptism is nothing more than a mere dunk in the tub and means not a thing .

Reactions: Marvelloustime

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Sounds like a Catholic hangover. - LOL
Do you find that some of those doctrines are still meaningful to you? (seems so) ???

/

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Sounds like a Catholic hangover. - LOL
Do you find that some of those doctrines are still meaningful to you? (seems so) ???

/

Eating the Real Flesh and drinking the real Blood

Would it not be better to partake of that which is represented or symbolized than those representations or symbols? Why eat or drink the image instead of the reality?

"Then Jesus said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Except ye eat the flesh of the Son of man, and drink his blood, ye have no life in you.
Whoso eateth my flesh, and drinketh my blood, hath eternal life; and I will raise him up at the last day." John 6:53-54

Remember that the real flesh is not some wafer or cracker or piece of bread made from grain... but rather the Word of God:

"And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us, (and we beheld his glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father,) full of grace and truth." John 1:14

I see us eating it when we read or hear the scriptures but we also need to drink His Blood:

"[God] Who also hath made us able ministers of the new testament; not of the letter, but of the spirit: for the letter killeth, but the spirit giveth life." II Cor 3:6

The Life as we have read elsewhere in scripture is in the Blood. The blood of our flesh gives us carnal life; the Blood of the Body of Christ, the Holy Spirit, brings to Life within us the Words we have consumed as per the above cited verse [II Cor 3:6]. This fulfills for us what Jesus said was necessary to obtain Life in John 6:53 also cited above.

Give God the glory!

Reactions: Azim and St. SteVen

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Eating the Real Flesh and drinking the real Blood

Would it not be better to partake of that which is represented or symbolized than those representations or symbols? Why eat or drink the image instead of the reality?
Thanks for the explanation.
I can't seem to shake the mental imagery of cannibals and vampires.
The tragedy of being raised Protestant, I suppose. - LOL

As I recall the crowd was repulsed by this when Jesus first shared it with them.

John 6:60-66 NIV
60 On hearing it, many of his disciples said, “This is a hard teaching. Who can accept it?” ...
66 From this time many of his disciples turned back and no longer followed him.

/

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thanks for the explanation.
I can't seem to shake the mental imagery of cannibals and vampires.
The tragedy of being raised Protestant, I suppose. - LOL

As I recall the crowd was repulsed by this when Jesus first shared it with them.

John 6:60-66 NIV
60 On hearing it, many of his disciples said, “This is a hard teaching. Who can accept it?” ...
66 From this time many of his disciples turned back and no longer followed him.

/
Yes, many of his followers left him at that time, but Jesus did not change his words at all. No compromises! What is it that we see now? For the moment it may still be "through a glass darkly", but if we continue walking toward Him and growing [what is required of us?] should we not eventually come to the "face to face" vision? Remember the man who at the first touch of Jesus saw "men as trees walking" but then at his second touch he saw them all clearly?
We must have a vision and it must continue to improve while we are still on this journey. To stop is to find ourselves on a talus slope sliding backwards...

Pr 29:18Where there is no vision, the people perish...

When is the "then"?
1co 13:12For now we see through a glass, darkly; but "then" face to face: now I know in part; but then shall I know even as also I am known.

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes, many of his followers left him at that time, but Jesus did not change his words at all. No compromises!
I suppose the issue was that they were taking his words literally.
Do you take his words literally for the flesh and blood?

/

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I suppose the issue was that they were taking his words literally.
Do you take his words literally for the flesh and blood
By that you apparently mean that they were thinking of cannibalism as men think of cannibalism.

Again, for me his flesh is the Word of God for is he not the Word of God? For me his blood is the Holy Spirit. I do not eat bread made from grain nor do I drink wine/grape juice, squeezed from the grapes and call it communion. For me that would be partaking of the type or the shadow. Why not partake rather of the Real Thing which is now available?

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes, many of his followers left him at that time, but Jesus did not change his words at all. No compromises! What is it that we see now? For the moment it may still be "through a glass darkly", but if we continue walking toward Him and growing [what is required of us?] should we not eventually come to the "face to face" vision? Remember the man who at the first touch of Jesus saw "men as trees walking" but then at his second touch he saw them all clearly?
We must have a vision and it must continue to improve while we are still on this journey. To stop is to find ourselves on a talus slope sliding backwards...

When is the "then"?
1co 13:12For now we see through a glass, darkly; but "then" face to face: now I know in part; but then shall I know even as also I am known.
Spot on right my friend . JESUS did not change his Word just to get followers .
SO WHY DOES most of christendom change the words and truth of GOD to attain FOLLOWERS and FELLOWSHIP .
Let us all ponder on that for a while . Do feel free to ask any question you like .

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
By that you apparently mean that they were thinking of cannibalism as men think of cannibalism.

Again, for me his flesh is the Word of God for is he not the Word of God? For me his blood is the Holy Spirit. I do not eat bread made from grain nor do I drink wine/grape juice, squeezed from the grapes and call it communion. For me that would be partaking of the type or the shadow. Why not partake rather of the Real Thing which is now available?
Amadeus , remember the warning . test the spirits , for many come to make desciples of institutions .

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

I still do , but there is a reason i do it . IN remembrance of what JESUS did for us .
I do communion . but i know its wine and bread . The RCC does it wrong .

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I still do , but there is a reason i do it . IN remembrance of what JESUS did for us .
I do communion . but i know its wine and bread . The RCC does it wrong
I do not hold it against people who still do. If I happen to be in a service where they are doing it I might participate, but being unable to drive now because of my eyes, I have not attended any service in many months. I simply eat the Word when I read my Bible and drink his blood which is the quickens those Words to me.

I hope that the day comes when I am able to attend a physical gathering of God's people and even partake in their communion service. I have cataract surgery scheduled for one eye in December and the other eye in January. I have been told that after that my vision will improve and I should be able to drive a car again. God knows. Keep me in prayer.

Reactions: amigo de christo

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

When is the "then"?
The path in Christ is the path a lamb will follow no matter the cost .
Oh , one we will one day see HIS face . The DAY HE COMETH or the day we depart to be with HIM .
NO FLESH can withstand or even stand in FULL View of the ALL MIGHTY . BUT WHEN JESUS COMETH
in ALL HIS GLORY even those who are still alive will be changed in an instant and up with HIM they do go .
For now , WE ...........
Lets remember paul was including the HIM in that WE and yet look at all those visoins even paul had recieved
and yet still as he wrote those letters he said I have not yet attained. THE DAY OF THE LORD .
ON HIS day . and that DAY be a coming too and rather soon i might add .
Now as far as maturing , ON that i do agree with you my friend . this we should be doing .
BUT FACE TO FACE , THAT DAY WE SEE HIM , but mark my words , WE WONT be in the flesh bodies
cause no flesh can survive HIS FULL GLORY presence . NOT even moses could see him FACE to face .
MOSES caught a bare wee glimpse of HIS most HINDERMOST PARTS
and even that mere glory , HAD to be covered , as moses put a vail over HIS face as HE read the law .
GOD DONT HOLD RAINBOWS AND SIN , but this generation seemth to think
GOD changes , compromises , twists and omits HIS Truth to win converts . WELL THIS GOD DONT DO
THIS JESUS DONT DO ,
MEN DO THIS , TO KEEP NUMBERS , TO KEEP A JOB and income . BUT THIS GOD DONT DO .