Why hadn't the baptized believers in Samaria received the Holy Spirit?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Just to be clear, I do not question whether the believers in Samaria had received
the "indwelling" Spirit when they believed. They were missing something else.

Acts 8:14-17 NIV
When the apostles in Jerusalem heard that Samaria had accepted the word of God, they sent Peter and John to Samaria.
15 When they arrived, they prayed for the new believers there that they might receive the Holy Spirit,
16 because the Holy Spirit had not yet come on any of them; they had simply been baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus.
17 Then Peter and John placed their hands on them, and they received the Holy Spirit.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Here are the facts:
1) Those in Samaria were believers (had accepted the word of God)
2) They had received baptism in the name of the Lord Jesus. (water baptism)
3) But the Holy Spirit had not yet come on any of them. (had not yet "come on" any of them?)
4) Peter and John placed their hands on them, and they received the Holy Spirit. (prayed for them)

They were water baptized believers in the Lord Jesus.

- There was evidence that they were believers. (as stated in the text)
- There was evidence that they had been water baptized. (as stated in the text)
- There was, however, no evidence that they had received the Holy Spirit. (as stated in the text)

What evidence were the Apostles looking for?
"Peter and John placed their hands on them, and they received the Holy Spirit." - Acts 8:17 NIV
("When they arrived, they prayed for the new believers there that they might receive the Holy Spirit," - vs 15)
This text doesn't tell us. We'll have to look elsewhere.

Let me restate...
I do not question whether the believers in Samaria had received the "indwelling" Spirit when they believed.
They were missing something else. That something else is the Baptism with the Holy Spirit. (the Spirit "on" them)

Continued in Post #2

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Continued from Post #1

What is the Baptism with the Holy Spirit, and what are the evidences?
Yes, evidences. Speaking in tongues was not the only evidence according to the book of Acts.

What is the Baptism with the Holy Spirit

Luke 3:16 NIV
John answered them all, “I baptize you with[a] water. But one who is more powerful than I will come,
the straps of whose sandals I am not worthy to untie. He will baptize you with[b] the Holy Spirit and fire.

Acts 1:4-5 NIV
... “Do not leave Jerusalem, but wait for the gift my Father promised, which you have heard me speak about.
5 For John baptized with[a] water, but in a few days you will be baptized with[b] the Holy Spirit.”

Evidence of the Baptism with the Holy Spirit

Acts 2:4 NIV
All of them were filled with the Holy Spirit and began
to speak in other tongues[a] as the Spirit enabled them.

Acts 2:11 NIV
(both Jews and converts to Judaism); Cretans and Arabs—
we hear them declaring the wonders of God in our own tongues!”

Acts 10:45-47 NIV
The circumcised believers who had come with Peter were astonished that
the gift of the Holy Spirit had been poured out even on Gentiles.
46 For they heard them speaking in tongues[a] and praising God. Then Peter said,
47 “Surely no one can stand in the way of their being baptized with water.
They have received the Holy Spirit just as we have.”

Acts 19:6 NIV
When Paul placed his hands on them, the Holy Spirit came on them,
and they spoke in tongues[a] and prophesied.

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Continued from Post #2

Summary statement

The evidences for the Baptism with the Holy Spirit were manifestations of the Holy Spirit.
Therefore, I would expand the list of possible evidences of Holy Spirit baptism to any manifestation of the Holy Spirit.
The best source for manifestations of the Spirit is found in 1 Corinthians chapter twelve.

1 Corinthians 12:7-11 NIV
Now to each one the manifestation of the Spirit is given for the common good. 8 To one there is given through the Spirit a message of wisdom, to another a message of knowledge by means of the same Spirit, 9 to another faith by the same Spirit, to another gifts of healing by that one Spirit, 10 to another miraculous powers, to another prophecy, to another distinguishing between spirits, to another speaking in different kinds of tongues,[a] and to still another the interpretation of tongues.[b] 11 All these are the work of one and the same Spirit, and he distributes them to each one, just as he determines.

Last edited:

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Why didn't the disciples in Ephesus receive the Holy Spirit when they believed?

Text below.

What caused the Apostle Paul to question them?
What evidence was he looking for that he did not see in them?
They were disciples, and he recognized them as believers.

At what point did they receive the Holy Spirit? (according to this text)
Paul laid hands on them (prayed) after their water baptism. (after)
What was the evidence? They spoke in tongues and prophesied.
Twelve of them. (12 men/families)

Acts 19:1-7 NIV
While Apollos was at Corinth,
Paul took the road through the interior and arrived at Ephesus.
There he found some disciples 2 and asked them,
“Did you receive the Holy Spirit when[a] you believed?”
They answered, “No, we have not even heard that there is a Holy Spirit.”
3 So Paul asked, “Then what baptism did you receive?”
“John’s baptism,” they replied.
4 Paul said, “John’s baptism was a baptism of repentance.
He told the people to believe in the one coming after him, that is, in Jesus.”
5 On hearing this, they were baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus.
6 When Paul placed his hands on them, the Holy Spirit came on them,
and they spoke in tongues[b] and prophesied.
7 There were about twelve men in all.

atpollard

Jun 30, 2019
Port Richey, Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Just to be clear, I do not question whether the believers in Samaria had received

When the apostles in Jerusalem heard that Samaria had accepted the word of God, they sent Peter and John to Samaria.
15 When they arrived, they prayed for the new believers there that they might receive the Holy Spirit,
16 because the Holy Spirit had not yet come on any of them; they had simply been baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus.
17 Then Peter and John placed their hands on them, and they received the Holy Spirit.

Here are the facts:
3) But the Holy Spirit had not yet come on any of them. (had not yet "come on" any of them?)
4) Peter and John placed their hands on them, and they received the Holy Spirit. (prayed for them)

- There was, however, no evidence that they had received the Holy Spirit. (as stated in the text)
Greetings @St. SteVen ,
Let's take a shot at the OP.

WARNING: I am about to engage in eisegeis.

You have been warned that THUS SAYS ARTHUR, and definitely not THUS SAYS THE LORD ... so take with a large grain of salt [and some prayer would not hurt].

I don't think this had anything to do with the actual conversion of the Samaritans, per se. I think the Story of Joseph and his Brothers is more applicable.

Around Genesis 50:20 Joseph concludes his adventure with the statement "As for you, you meant evil against me, but God meant it for good." This comes at the end of a LONG story that begins with Jacob marrying a woman he does not love and a woman that he does love, followed by a child-bearing contest between two wives and two slaves to EARN the love of one IDIOT husband. This leads to a blended family where some brothers want to kill other brothers and some brothers just sell Joseph into slavery. Through EVERYTHING that happens, GOD deals with 13 hearts to heal a family that will become a nation that is His possession. The Jews and Samaritans are the children of those brothers and they are fighting again when Jesus arrives on the scene.
I see God DRAWING the Samaritans and then sending the Jews (Judah and Benjamin) to minister to them as God healing the family of His Possession ONE MORE TIME. BOTH Jewish Christians and Samaritan Christians were forced to accept each other as Christian Brothers. Both groups LACKED the same thing - love for one-another. So God fixed the real problem.

Last edited:

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Greetings @St. SteVen ,

You have been warned that THUS SAYS ARTHUR, and definitely not THUS SAYS THE LORD ... so take with a large grain of salt [and some prayer would not hurt].

I don't think this had anything to do with the actual conversion of the Samaritans, per se. I think the Story of Joseph and his Brothers is more applicable.

Around Genesis 50:20 Joseph concludes his adventure with the statement "As for you, you meant evil against me, but God meant it for good." This comes at the end of a LONG story that begins with Jacob marrying a woman he does not love and a woman that he does love, followed by a child-bearing contest between two wives and two slaves to EARN the love of one IDIOT husband. This leads to a blended family where some brothers want to kill other brothers and some brothers just sell Joseph into slavery. Through EVERYTHING that happens, GOD deals with 13 hearts to heal a family that will become a nation that is His possession. The Jews and Samaritans are the children of those brothers and they are fighting again when Jesus arrives on the scene.
I see God DRAWING the Samaritans and then sending the Jews (Judah and Benjamin) to minister to them as God healing the family of His Possession ONE MORE TIME. BOTH Jewish Christians and Samaritan Christians were forced to accept each other as Christian Brothers. Both groups LACKED the same thing - love for one-another. So God fixed the real problem.
That's an interesting view, thanks.
I hadn't considered that angle. (who the Samaritans were in relation)

As I said in the OP, I think the Samaritans had recieved the indwelling Spirit, but not the HS Baptism with evidence of spiritual gifts. (the manifestations) See I Corinthians 12.

Tommy Cool

Jul 17, 2022
HIGHLAND,MI
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Here are the facts:

What evidence were the Apostles looking for?
"Peter and John placed their hands on them, and they received the Holy Spirit." - Acts 8:17 NIV
("When they arrived, they prayed for the new believers there that they might receive the Holy Spirit," - vs 15)
This text doesn't tell us. We'll have to look elsewhere.

Let me restate...
I do not question whether the believers in Samaria had received the "indwelling" Spirit when they believed.
They were missing something else. That something else is the Baptism with the Holy Spirit. (the Spirit "on" them)

Continued in Post #2

Here is a question I will just throw out there …. See what you think.

There is no question when the 12 apostles on the day of Pentecost received there was cloven tongues “like as” of fire which sat upon each of them. …. Which I believe was a miraculous “go sign” to speak in tongues as they sat in the temple at the hour of prayer.

However ..and this is the question….

The context of Luke (and Matthew) regarding baptizing with fire appears to be regarding two different scenarios…..both being future events. One is being born again the other as seen in the context of verse 17 is regarding the barbecue ….. at the end times.

Luk 3:16 John answered, saying unto them all, I indeed baptize you with water; but one mightier than I cometh, the latchet of whose shoes I am not worthy to unloose: he shall baptize you with the Holy Ghost and with fire:

Luk 3:17 Whose fan is in his hand, and he will throughly purge his floor, and will gather the wheat into his garner; but the chaff he will burn with fire unquenchable.
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Regarding the receiving of the holy spirit.

I have run into this with people who were born again (received the holy spirit) but were not instructed on what was available (as far as tongues). They were no doubt …born again…. but after being instructed what was available, they did manifest.

That distinction is evident in the scriptures primarily with the use of two words that are translated into our one English word receive.

In Act 8:14 Now when the apostles which were at Jerusalem heard that Samaria had received the word of God, they sent unto them Peter and John:

The word receive in verse 14 is the Greek word dechomai …which is a subjective reception. It would be like if I gave you a cell phone …you accepted it…. and put it in a drawer.

The word receive in verse 15 (and 17 also) Act 8:15 Who, when they were come down, prayed for them, that they might receive the Holy Ghost: ….is the Greek word lambanō which is an objective reception … to receive into manifestation (you received the cell phone and used it for it’s intended purpose … to call, text …etc.)

Those two words (or a variation thereof) will be used in the context of receiving the gift of holy spirit throughout the New Testament.

NOTE: This account does not state what Simon saw ...was it speaking in tongues ....I think so.... based on other accounts in Acts but the Word does not specifically state that .... which makes it conjecture on my part.

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The word receive in verse 15 (and 17 also) Act 8:15 Who, when they were come down, prayed for them, that they might receive the Holy Ghost: ….is the Greek word lambanō which is an objective reception … to receive into manifestation (you received the cell phone and used it for it’s intended purpose … to call, text …etc.)
@Lambano
Wow.

Reactions: Taken and Lambano

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
However ..and this is the question….

The context of Luke (and Matthew) regarding baptizing with fire appears to be regarding two different scenarios…..both being future events. One is being born again the other as seen in the context of verse 17 is regarding the barbecue ….. at the end times.

Luk 3:16 John answered, saying unto them all, I indeed baptize you with water; but one mightier than I cometh, the latchet of whose shoes I am not worthy to unloose: he shall baptize you with the Holy Ghost and with fire:

Luk 3:17 Whose fan is in his hand, and he will throughly purge his floor, and will gather the wheat into his garner; but the chaff he will burn with fire unquenchable.
That's an interesting reading.
I have taken the baptism and the fire to be synonymous, but why not two things, as you read it. ???

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Do you have further indication that your reading is valid?

Mark 9:49 NIV
Everyone will be salted with fire.

Last edited:

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Glad you came through your surgery alright steven rest your hand friend.

David in NJ

Jul 20, 2021
Denville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Why didn't the disciples in Ephesus receive the Holy Spirit when they believed?

Text below.

What caused the Apostle Paul to question them?
What evidence was he looking for that he did not see in them?
They were disciples, and he recognized them as believers.

At what point did they receive the Holy Spirit? (according to this text)
Paul laid hands on them (prayed) after their water baptism. (after)
What was the evidence? They spoke in tongues and prophesied.
Twelve of them. (12 men/families)

Acts 19:1-7 NIV
While Apollos was at Corinth,
Paul took the road through the interior and arrived at Ephesus.
There he found some disciples 2 and asked them,
“Did you receive the Holy Spirit when[a] you believed?”
They answered, “No, we have not even heard that there is a Holy Spirit.”
3 So Paul asked, “Then what baptism did you receive?”
“John’s baptism,” they replied.
4 Paul said, “John’s baptism was a baptism of repentance.
He told the people to believe in the one coming after him, that is, in Jesus.”
5 On hearing this, they were baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus.
6 When Paul placed his hands on them, the Holy Spirit came on them,
and they spoke in tongues[b] and prophesied.
7 There were about twelve men in all.

God is demonstrating in Acts the TWO distinct Promises of God.

Promise #1 - Salvation thru the Blood Atonement of Christ = the New Covenant

Promise #2 - the Baptism of the Holy Spirit = Acts ch1

Forfeiture - Apollos vs Paul = Intellectual power vs Holy Spirit Anointing

Conclusion from Acts = MOST christians will default to intellectual power/academy/colleges/universities(scholars)

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Conclusion from Acts = MOST christians will default to intellectual power/academy/colleges/universities(scholars)
Probably because that is what most of the institutional church has been pushing. (Cessationism)
Even warning against the alternative.

Interesting that the unforgivable sin is attributing the work of God to Satan. (Matthew 12:31; Matthew 12:24)

Reactions: David in NJ

Godslittleservant

Aug 28, 2023
Kansas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Mark 16:17-20 (KJV)
17 And these signs shall follow them that believe; In my name shall they cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues;
18 They shall take up serpents; and if they drink any deadly thing, it shall not hurt them; they shall lay hands on the sick, and they shall recover.
19 So then after the Lord had spoken unto them, he was received up into heaven, and sat on the right hand of God.
20 And they went forth, and preached every where, the Lord working with them, and confirming the word with signs following. Amen.

What were the signs for,
What was the intended purpose of the signs,
What does it mean by confirming the word with signs
Why did the word need to be confirmed by signs
Does the word still need to be confirmed or is it established
Other than the Apostles how did others get the signs for confirming

Note Philip went and baptized believers in Samaria in which received the indwelling spirit as promised as in Acts 2:38 Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost. (KJV) But yet to give the signs for confirming the word he did not have the ability to pass on the gift he had to call on the Apostles to come and lay hands on some to transfer that gift so that they can spread the word with the confirming signs.

David in NJ

Jul 20, 2021
Denville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Mark 16:17-20 (KJV)
17 And these signs shall follow them that believe; In my name shall they cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues;
18 They shall take up serpents; and if they drink any deadly thing, it shall not hurt them; they shall lay hands on the sick, and they shall recover.
19 So then after the Lord had spoken unto them, he was received up into heaven, and sat on the right hand of God.
20 And they went forth, and preached every where, the Lord working with them, and confirming the word with signs following. Amen.

What were the signs for,
What was the intended purpose of the signs,
What does it mean by confirming the word with signs
Why did the word need to be confirmed by signs
Does the word still need to be confirmed or is it established
Other than the Apostles how did others get the signs for confirming

Note Philip went and baptized believers in Samaria in which received the indwelling spirit as promised as in Acts 2:38 Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost. (KJV) But yet to give the signs for confirming the word he did not have the ability to pass on the gift he had to call on the Apostles to come and lay hands on some to transfer that gift so that they can spread the word with the confirming signs.
Here is the ONE Baptism = Our Heavenly Fathers' 2nd Promise to those who are His.

ONE Baptism = Acts chapter ONE

And being assembled together with them, He commanded them not to depart from Jerusalem,
but to wait for the Promise of the Father, “which,” He said,you have heard from Me; for John truly baptized with water,
but you shall be baptized with the Holy Spirit not many days from now.” Therefore, when they had come together, they asked Him, saying, “Lord, will You at this time restore the kingdom to Israel?” And He said to them, “It is not for you to know times or seasons which the Father has put in His own authority. But you shall receive power when the Holy Spirit has come upon you; and you shall be witnesses to Me in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the end of the earth.”

Godslittleservant

Aug 28, 2023
Kansas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That is a thoughtful response but please show me where this happened again in the way you referred to it here it should be with every conversion if this is meant the way you use it so please show me where it is repeated in this way in the other biblical conversions.

David in NJ

Jul 20, 2021
Denville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That is a thoughtful response but please show me where this happened again in the way you referred to it here it should be with every conversion if this is meant the way you use it so please show me where it is repeated in this way in the other biblical conversions.

My Heavenly Father Blessed me with His Promise according to His Word = He never lies and is never double minded.

A.) Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen. For by it the elders obtained a good testimony.
By faith we understand that the worlds were framed by the word of God, so that the things which are seen were not made of things which are visible.

B.) God having provided something better for us, that they should not be made perfect apart from us.

C.) But without faith it is impossible to please Him, for he who comes to God must believe that He is, and that He is a rewarder of those who diligently seek Him.

If you have been Born-Again thru the Promise of His Son who died and Rose again for us, then seek the 2nd Promise of your Heavenly
Father.

Peace

Reactions: rebuilder 454

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Greetings @St. SteVen ,

Sometimes a brother or a sister, needs a hug, or just a pat on the shoulder. Compassion.

Reactions: atpollard

Godslittleservant

Aug 28, 2023
Kansas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Acts 2:38 Peter said to them, "Repent, and each of you be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins; and you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.

Romans 10:9-15
9 that if you confess with your mouth Jesus as Lord, and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved; 10 for with the heart a person believes, resulting in righteousness, and with the mouth he confesses, resulting in salvation. 11 For the Scripture says, "Whoever believes in Him will not be disappointed." 12 For there is no distinction between Jew and Greek; for the same Lord is Lord of all, abounding in riches for all who call on Him; 13 for "Whoever will call on the name of the Lord will be saved."

14 How then will they call on Him in whom they have not believed? How will they believe in Him whom they have not heard? And how will they hear without a preacher? 15 How will they preach unless they are sent? Just as it is written, "How beautiful are the feet of those who bring good news of good things!"

Acts 26:20 Therefore having overlooked the times of ignorance, God is now declaring to men that all people everywhere should repent,

Are these part of what we must also do or can we be saved outside of these teachings

Maybe to believe means to believe all the teachings and submit ourselves to the teaching

David in NJ

Jul 20, 2021
Denville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Acts 2:38 Peter said to them, "Repent, and each of you be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins; and you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.

9 that if you confess with your mouth Jesus as Lord, and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved; 10 for with the heart a person believes, resulting in righteousness, and with the mouth he confesses, resulting in salvation. 11 For the Scripture says, "Whoever believes in Him will not be disappointed." 12 For there is no distinction between Jew and Greek; for the same Lord is Lord of all, abounding in riches for all who call on Him; 13 for "Whoever will call on the name of the Lord will be saved."

14 How then will they call on Him in whom they have not believed? How will they believe in Him whom they have not heard? And how will they hear without a preacher? 15 How will they preach unless they are sent? Just as it is written, "How beautiful are the feet of those who bring good news of good things!"

Acts 26:20 Therefore having overlooked the times of ignorance, God is now declaring to men that all people everywhere should repent,

Are these part of what we must also do or can we be saved outside of these teachings

Maybe to believe means to believe all the teachings and submit ourselves to the teaching

You said: "Maybe to believe means to believe all the teachings and submit ourselves to the teaching."

AGREE = Go back to Acts chapter 1 and BELIEVE every word that God has spoken!

Reactions: rebuilder 454

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Hello Godslittleservant,

It seems to me that new life, starts at the cross, burial, and resurrection. Anyone who desires to look into these matters, and they have faith they will 'change their mind,' which is what repent means. They will follow the resurrected Lord Jesus Christ, and they will if they continue to abide in him, have new life.

• Love
Reactions: David in NJ