Why I read/study God's Word: The Authorized Version

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

GRACE ambassador

Mar 1, 2021
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Grace And Peace, Precious friend(s). I believe it is a very serious matter
to determine Which version of “the Bible” Is “The Correct Word Of God!”

I am sure we All agree, do we not, that we are All going to each give an
"account To HIM," (2 Corinthians 5:10), According to His Gospel of Grace,
To Paul (Romans 2:16), correct?

Thus, in Light of Paul's "...knowing therefore The Terror Of The LORD..." {v. 11},
to me, I humbly present why I personally believe KJV Is “The Best Bible” to read/study:

(1) Q: Is IT not God’s Pure And PRESERVED WORD!?:

”The WORDS Of The LORD Are Pure WORDS: as silver tried
in a furnace of earth, Purified Seven Times. Thou Shalt Keep THEM,
O LORD, Thou Shalt PRESERVE THEM from this generation for ever.”
(Psalms 12:6-7 KJB!)

Now, Comparing This, with a couple of newer versions, what do we find?

NASB: “The words of the Lord are pure words…You, Lord, will keep them;
You will protect him from this generation forever.

NIV: “The words of the Lord are flawless…You, Lord, will keep the needy
safe
and will protect us forever from the wicked,...

Do these Also claim God’s “Purity And Preservation for ALL generations”?

They both claim “pure/flawless” words, but, then they both
Omit Some Of: “Preserve THEM from this generation for ever” and
Change words TO the noted “Different” words above. How is that Purity?

Q: Will The Holy Spirit, our Blessed Teacher, Help us understand
“The Purity of These Words,” considering these newer versions
have Changed Them? How, then, do we “study AND agree”?

{Diligent/Noble Berean students can find MANY of These Changes
{And, Also “omissions”}, and Prayerfully/Carefully decide for themselves
about the “Purity of God’s Words,” and which version is best, for them,
correct?}

(2) I personally have decided on Both “The Purity And The
Preservation Of The Authorized Version/underlying manuscripts,”
for the following reasons:

Q2: Is The Following the “Reason” why the newer versions Cannot claim:

God’s Promise To “Preserve HIS Pure Word for ALL generations”?

Since the newer versions did not appear until about 1880,
would not that be a “Lack Of Preservation,” due to the fact
that the underlying {older/better?} manuscripts had to be
“Re-discovered/translated,” Skipping the generations since 1611?

Can that be God’s Purpose For HIS Pure/Preserved Word?
+
(3) God's Pure/Preserved Word Is ABOVE All Else! Is IT not?:

"I will worship toward Thy holy temple, and praise Thy HOLY
Name for Thy LovingKindness and for Thy TRUTH: for Thou
Hast MAGNIFIED Thy WORD Above All Thy Name!"
( Psalms 138:2 KJB! )

imho, unless I am mistaken, on Judgment Day, I would Not want
one of the "good deeds done in my body," to be “Bad, by my claiming”
that corrupt/Changed/Missing words {translated from older/hidden
{UNpreserved} manuscripts into “newer easier-to-read/understand
versions,” are to be:

God's Pure Word, Which Is “Magnified Above All Of God’s Pure/Holy Name,”

would you, Precious friend(s)?
Finally:

IF it is true that “Many {~~ 2,800?} Of “God’s PURE Words”
are missing {ie: Acts 8:37 NASB et al?} from newer versions, then,
IF the “version user” Cannot read Them {because They are missing},
how is it possible then, for that one to obey God’s Exhortation:

“man Shall Not live by bread alone, But By EVERY Word
That Proceedeth Out Of The Mouth Of God!”
(Matthew 4:4 cp Luke 4:4; Deuteronomy 8:3 KJB!)?

Just wondering: How can God's "children of light" be in agreement
when each uses a Different Problematic version?: Are we not all,
By A Faithful God:

"...Called Into Fellowship With God's SON, The LORD JESUS CHRIST"
(1 Corinthians 1:9 KJB!), And, should we not all be:

"Endeavouring to keep The Unity Of God's Spirit In The Bond Of
PEACE!..." (Ephesians 4:3 KJB!), obeying God's Exhortations!:

”...speak...the things which become Sound Doctrine!”
(Titus 2:1 cp "SAME mind And judgment!" 1 Corinthians 1:10 KJB!)?

Being faithful And Pleasing to our LORD and Saviour, JESUS CHRIST, Correct?

--------------------------------------------

Addendum: Some do Not like archaic words in God’s Preserved Word,
but isn’t that Why God Commands us to “study”? I.e.:

“...we which are alive and remain unto the coming of The LORD shall not
prevent [precede] them which are asleep…” (1 Thessalonians 4:15 KJB!)

Once I “studied & found the meaning,” have never had any problem since. Amen?
+
I would also, when Prayerfully/Carefully “studying, like to know," When "God Is
Addressing" one person {singular: thee, thine, & thou}, or More than one person
{plural: ye/you/your}. Could make a Huge Difference in His Pure Words, correct?

Since newer versions have Totally Lost these distinctions, considering
“you/your” Could be Either singular OR plural, causing Confusion, of
which
God Is “Not the author of,” (1 Corinthians 14:33 KJB!), correct,
Precious friend(s)?

Conclusion: Besides changing God’s PURE Words, is there not Also
HIS “Command NOT to Add, Nor To Take Away From HIS Word!”?
(Deuteronomy 4:2, 12:32; Proverbs 30:5-6; Revelation 22:18-19 KJB!)

So, yes, I sincerely believe This Is “A Very Serious And Important”
decision Of faith to be made! After all, "a corrupt {#} version Will
Cause a corrupt faith,” correct? Since God’s PURE Word Teaches:

“...faith cometh by hearing, and hearing By The WORD Of God!”
(Romans 10:17 KJB!)

Be Blessed!

{#} Corruption had Already Begun in "Paul's day," thus it should not
surprise us, that it very well Could be in our midst, today, correct?:

"For we are not as many, which corrupt The Word Of God: but as
of sincerity, but as of God, in The Sight Of God speak we in CHRIST."
(2 Corinthians 2:17 KJB!)

Precious friend(s), instead of All of the Mass Confusion, is not
God's Simple Will Much Better?...

Last edited:

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The WORDS Of The LORD Are Pure WORDS: as silver tried

(Psalm 12:6-7 KJB!)
This passage to me answers the question. God preserves His Words to all generations, therefore, the correct Word of God was not lost for 1000 years buried in the sands of time.

So, YES, I sincerely BELIEVE This Is “A Very Serious And Important”
decision Of faith to be made! After all, "a corrupt version Will Cause a
corrupt
faith,” correct? Since God’s PURE Word Teaches:

...faith cometh by hearing, and hearing By The WORD Of God!”
(
Romans 10:17 KJB!)

After studying and comparing translations and manuscripts for many years, I know that whichever of my Bibles I use, if an actual translation, they all teach me the same things.

One of my favorite quotes from the King James Bible is from the 1611 preface,

Now to the later we answere; that wee doe not deny, nay wee affirme and avow, that the very meanest translation of the Bible in English, set foorth by men of our profession (for wee have seene none of theirs of the whole Bible as yet) containeth the word of God, nay, is the word of God.
King James Version (KJV) original preface [1611} free online

Much love!

Reactions: Taken and Nancy

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
1. HISTORY: The KJV of the Bible is the most influential book ever written in English.

2. PERSONAL: I will never read middle English books like that.

3. EPISTEMOLOGY: There are numerous errors in KJV that 4 centuries of improved knowledge has identified.

Reactions: marks

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
3. EPISTEMOLOGY: There are numerous errors in KJV that 4 centuries of improved knowledge has identified.
That is incorrect. Kindly take the time to study the matter in depth. Much more could be said, but I will let you do your own research.

Reactions: amigo de christo

Curtis

Apr 6, 2021
KC
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Be Blessed!

God's Simple Will Much Better? To be continued in (2) below...

The only reason the KJV exists, is because the Geneva Bible included commentary against human monarchy, so King Jimmy commissioned a bible that would have no such commentary in it.

BTW the words Authorized Version doesn’t mean authorized by God, as KJV only adherents seem to think, but means authorized by King Jimmy.

The AV 1611 is based on a text with a Latin name - textus receptus, because it was translated by a catholic monk named Erasmus - the catholic sources that it originated from explains why it also had the apocryphal books in it, that are rejected by Protestants.

The KJV translators admitted in the original KJV preface, their reliance on prior versions such as the Geneva Bible. It’s obvious in that preface that they didn’t claim or think that it was an inspired and inerrant translation- that’s because there is no such thing - only the original MSS were inerrant and were the inspired word of God.

The original 1611 AV had many margin notes it it that gave alternate renderings of scriptures, which completely disproves the claim that every word in it is inerrant and inspired.

It also has universally recognized translation errors in it, also disproving claims of it being an inspired and inerrant Bible.

The word of God as given to prophets and apostles, was already as pure as gold that’s been refined 7 times - Psalms 12:6 is not a prophecy, it does not mean it would take 6 tries before God finally got it right when the KJV came along, as the KJVO camp likes to claim.

If that were true, then no one in times past who had only the Old Testament Scriptures, had the pure word of God until 1611, which is clearly wrong.

Reactions: Pathfinder7

Michiah-Imla

Oct 24, 2020
Northeast USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The King James Bible is a treasure. An excellent translation with power. It’s only by the power of God that this version is still around over 400 years later with so many slanderers against it for reasons I cannot grasp too well. Why it would bother anyone that others cherish this translation so much is strange. The new versions are weak and lacking. They only have an illusion of superiority based on all the fair speeches and crafty cunning of “learned” men who know nothing as they ought to know.

The word of God is our spiritual food: I’d rather have the fine dinning cuisine of the KJV than the junk food of the new versions (which are lacking many spiritual nutrients - that is, missing verses!)

Curtis

Apr 6, 2021
KC
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This passage to me answers the question. God preserves His Words to all generations, therefore, the correct Word of God was not lost for 1000 years buried in the sands of time.

After studying and comparing translations and manuscripts for many years, I know that whichever of my Bibles I use, if an actual translation, they all teach me the same things.

One of my favorite quotes from the King James Bible is from the 1611 preface,

King James Version (KJV) original preface [1611} free online

Much love!

Exactly.

Curtis

Apr 6, 2021
KC
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The King James Bible is a treasure. An excellent translation with power. It’s only by the power of God that this version is still around over 400 years later with so many slanderers against it for reasons I cannot grasp too well. Why it would bother anyone that others cherish this translation so much is strange. The new versions are weak and lacking. They only have an illusion of superiority based on all the fair speeches and crafty cunning of “learned” men who know nothing as they ought to know.

The word of God is our spiritual food: I’d rather have the fine dinning cuisine of the KJV than the junk food of the new versions (which are lacking many spiritual nutrients - that is, missing verses!)

So far everyone I’ve talked to in person who proclaims the superiority of the KJV, has failed to accurately explain this verse: ye are not straitened in us, ye are straitened in your own bowels.

At the least you’d think all KJV only fans would use the NKJV which corrects the over 900 words that have changed meaning completely in 4 centuries, but no, that version is to be rejected as well.

I’d much rather use the ESV for daily reading, which is a very good translation, than try to wade through archaic Elizabethan English, and not understand the intended meaning of a scripture, because a word like CONVERSATION has changed meaning over centuries.

The KJV states:

1Pe 1:15 But as he which hath called you is holy, so be ye holy in all manner of conversation;

1Pe 1:16 Because it is written, Be ye holy; for I am holy.

Reading that makes you think it says to watch what we say in our dialogue - but that’s not what it originally meant. The word CONVERSATION meant your entire lifestyle, not just your dialogue.

You might think that by not cursing, you’re obeying that scripture, yet it means much more that just watching what words you say.

Other versions give the correct meaning:

ASV
1Pe 1:15 but like as he who called you is holy, be ye yourselves also holy in all manner of living;

1Pe 1:16 because it is written, Ye shall be holy; for I am holy.

ESV
1Pe 1:15 but as he who called you is holy, you also be holy in all your conduct,

1Pe 1:16 since it is written, “You shall be holy, for I am holy.”

And that’s just one of the 900 words in the KJV that have different meanings today.

I’d rather not misunderstand the meaning of a verse 900 times.

Reactions: atpollard

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Yes it is my friend . In this day and age everyone , including churches , are abandoning original scripture .
But lambs will not . No matter what we be called by men . For lambs are called by God and thus they love truth .

Reactions: Michiah-Imla

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So far everyone I’ve talked to in person who proclaims the superiority of the KJV, has failed to accurately explain this verse: ye are not straitened in us, ye are straitened in your own bowels.

At the least you’d think all KJV only fans would use the NKJV which corrects the over 900 words that have changed meaning completely in 4 centuries, but no, that version is to be rejected as well.

I’d much rather use the ESV for daily reading, which is a very good translation, than try to wade through archaic Elizabethan English, and not understand the intended meaning of a scripture, because a word like CONVERSATION has changed meaning over centuries.

The KJV states:

1Pe 1:15 But as he which hath called you is holy, so be ye holy in all manner of conversation;

1Pe 1:16 Because it is written, Be ye holy; for I am holy.

Reading that makes you think it says to watch what we say in our dialogue - but that’s not what it originally meant. The word CONVERSATION meant your entire lifestyle, not just your dialogue.

You might think that by not cursing, you’re obeying that scripture, yet it means much more that just watching what words you say.

Other versions give the correct meaning:

ASV
1Pe 1:15 but like as he who called you is holy, be ye yourselves also holy in all manner of living;

1Pe 1:16 because it is written, Ye shall be holy; for I am holy.

ESV
1Pe 1:15 but as he who called you is holy, you also be holy in all your conduct,

1Pe 1:16 since it is written, “You shall be holy, for I am holy.”

And that’s just one of the 900 words in the KJV that have different meanings today.

Yeah , i have me an old old dictionary . If i do not understand a word its easy to look up .
I stick to the kjv . I have read many versions . Believe me , i stick to the kjv .
I dont condemn anyone for what version they read , but rest assured i will try and convince them
to use the kjv .

Reactions: Michiah-Imla

Michiah-Imla

Oct 24, 2020
Northeast USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
900 words in the KJV that have different meanings today.

So I imagine you never consult the Greek and Hebrew, which are MUCH older and archaic than the modern English of 1611…

Your charge of archaic words being an hindrance to the KJV is not as big an issue as you make it. The few handful of archaic words in the KJV are explained in the context and by a good English dictionary.

I’d rather not discard any of the counsel of God in exchange for modern expressions of a few archaic words because I’m too lazy to learn a few archaic definitions.

For example:

"For the Son of man is come to save that which was lost." (Matthew 18:11)

Look this up in a modern version “for clarity”.

Opps, this scripture does not exist in many modern versions based on the Greek alexandrian text.

Reactions: GRACE ambassador

Marc RL Ministry

May 28, 2021
Melbourne
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Jeremiah 29:13 KJV
And ye shall seek me, and find me, when ye shall search for me with all your heart.

John 8:31Then said Jesus to those Jews which believed on him, If ye continue in my word, then are ye my disciples indeed; 32and ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.

They can change words as much as they like to suit them but if you seek Jesus Christ with all your heart, mind and soul and remain in his doctrine you see everything clearly, I myself have studies most bible versions of scripture and knowing Jesus Christ is aware they would change words prior to the beginning its probably all truth, God leads us to what he wants us to know.

My main go to is the KJV, NLT, CJB, TOL, NKJV and I have studied the NIV and its popular but ill just say what's popular normally isn't what is best and I am not a fan of it will most likely do a comparison bible next with 4 different versions on each page.

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

"account To HIM,"
(2 Corinthians 5:10), According to His Gospel of Grace,
To
Paul (Romans 2:16), correct?

Thus, in Light of Paul's "...knowing therefore The Terror Of The LORD..." {v. 11},
to me, I humbly present why I personally believe KJV Is “The Best Bible” to read/study:

safe

The Purity of These Words,” considering these newer versions

correct?}

+

Hast MAGNIFIED Thy WORD Above All Thy Name!
"

versions,” are to be:

God's Pure Word, Which Is Magnified Above All Of God’s Pure/Holy Name,”

Finally:

That Proceedeth Out Of The Mouth Of God!

By A Faithful God:

(
1 Corinthians 1:9 KJB!), And, should we not all be:

PEACE!..." (
Ephesians 4:3 KJB!), obeying God's Exhortations!:

...speak...the things which become Sound Doctrine!”
(
Titus 2:1 cp "SAME mind And judgment!" 1 Corinthians 1:10 KJB!)?

+
Addressing"
one person {singular: thee, thine, & thou}, or More than one person

which
God Is Not the author of,” (1 Corinthians 14:33 KJB!), correct,
Precious friend(s)?

(
Deuteronomy 4:2, 12:32; Proverbs 30:5-6; Revelation 22:18-19 KJB!)

(

Be Blessed!

You have given a lot of good reasons sir, no doubt any reason one gives to study Gods word, is a good reason. More power to you in that very noble goal.

Reactions: Marc RL Ministry

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

"account To HIM,"
(2 Corinthians 5:10), According to His Gospel of Grace,
To
Paul (Romans 2:16), correct?

safe

The Purity of These Words,” considering these newer versions

correct?}

+

Hast MAGNIFIED Thy WORD Above All Thy Name!
"

versions,” are to be:

God's Pure Word, Which Is Magnified Above All Of God’s Pure/Holy Name,”

Finally:

That Proceedeth Out Of The Mouth Of God!

By A Faithful God:

(
1 Corinthians 1:9 KJB!), And, should we not all be:

PEACE!..." (
Ephesians 4:3 KJB!), obeying God's Exhortations!:

...speak...the things which become Sound Doctrine!”
(
Titus 2:1 cp "SAME mind And judgment!" 1 Corinthians 1:10 KJB!)?

+
Addressing"
one person {singular: thee, thine, & thou}, or More than one person

which
God Is Not the author of,” (1 Corinthians 14:33 KJB!), correct,
Precious friend(s)?

(
Deuteronomy 4:2, 12:32; Proverbs 30:5-6; Revelation 22:18-19 KJB!)

(

Be Blessed!

I love the King James and have used it for over 35 years. However even the much loved King James is imperfect. Whjy? Because it is a translation! Any time you go from one language to another you can lose significant nuances that bring much meaning to a passage .

If one wishes to study the bible with the Best versions, KJV, NKJV, NASB,AMP, and NIV are all excellent translations. Then one should modify their study with extensive use of Hebrew and Greek Language tools and cultural studies to fully understand how words were used 2,000-6,000 years ago.

Reactions: Angelina

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Your charge of archaic words being an hindrance to the KJV is not as big an issue as you make it. The few handful of archaic words in the KJV are explained in the context and by a good English dictionary.
This strawman argument has been around for ages, and has little or no validity. The King James translators were faithful to the diction of the Hebrew and Greek, and the equivalents of "thee" and "thou" are still valid in many European languages. And the King James 2000 Bible has addressed this issue already (which most people simply ignore).

As you say there are only an handful of truly archaic words, which can easily be clarified by going to Strong's Concordance (or Thayer's Lexicon). Generally the context itself makes the meaning clear.

Also, there is really no need for anyone to turn to the modern translations for clarity, but if they do, they should be fully aware that the text itself has been corrupted in these versions.

And thousands of UNNECESSARY changes have been introduced to simply annoy a serious student of the Word (or was it to demonstrate "superiority" over the KJV translators?)

Curtis

Apr 6, 2021
KC
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So I imagine you never consult the Greek and Hebrew, which are MUCH older and archaic than the modern English of 1611…

I’d rather not discard any of the counsel of God in exchange for modern expressions of a few archaic words because I’m too lazy to learn a few archaic definitions.

For example:

"For the Son of man is come to save that which was lost." (Matthew 18:11)

Look this up in a modern version “for clarity”.

Opps, this scripture does not exist in many modern versions based on the Greek alexandrian text.

No thanks. There’s a version called the NKJV that corrected that problem

BTW the whole point of mentioning those 900 word is, a lot of them are familiar words, such as the word CONVERSATION. Who’d look up a familiar word such as that, when they think they know what it means, but don’t realize the definition changed.

Your way of looking words up in the dictionary would mean one has to look up every word of every verse, in case any of the words changed meaning.

KJV only advocates already proved to me they don’t understand that bible, by not having a clue what the verse about being straitened in their own bowels means, as I stated earlier.

ESV, my favorite modern English version, doesn’t have Matthew 18:11, but look at this verse, that it DOES have:

Luk 19:10 For the Son of Man came to seek and to save the lost.”

My, my.