Why is Mary blessed?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
"Blessed" just means happy and all good things come from God. She was a happy, thankful, gracious person among women. She was certainly special and when she conceived, she was full of grace (unmerited favor). She was chosen out of all women in Israel. Her lineage went back to David, but even her husband's lineage went back to David. It was planned long ago, before Abraham, before the foundation of the world.

explain this verse

Lk 1:46 And Mary said, My soul doth magnify the Lord, (Her immaculate pure soul)

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
that’s what is says “her soul”
But why does it imply what you said it did? It says nothing about her immaculate pure soul. We all have souls and according to the Psalms we should lift up our (own) souls to praise the Lord.

Reactions: farouk

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
And verse 49

Luke 1:46-49
Mary’s Song: And Mary said: “My soul glorifies the Lord and my spirit rejoices in God my Saviour,
for he has been mindful of the humble state of his servant. From now on all generations will call me blessed, for the Mighty One has done great things for me - holy is his name.

Still no mention of what you said @theefaith.

Ronald David Bruno

Nov 7, 2020
Southern
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
explain this verse

Lk 1:46 And Mary said, My soul doth magnify the Lord, (Her immaculate pure soul)
Mary is praising the Lord. KJV says magnify, other versions say exalt. We sing to the Lord in Church the same way with soul and spirit to glorify Him as a humble servant would.
Like (Ps 34:3; 69:30), from Luke 1:46-55, scholars call this Mary's Song.

Reactions: Pearl

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Mary is praising the Lord. KJV says magnify, other versions say exalt. We sing to the Lord in Church the same way with soul and spirit to glorify Him as a humble servant would.
Like (Ps 34:3; 69:30), from Luke 1:46-55, scholars call this Mary's Song.
No it does not say her lips are praising but her soul (being) glorifies God cause she’s is immaculate conception fullness of grace!

Ronald David Bruno

Nov 7, 2020
Southern
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No it does not say her lips are praising but her soul (being) glorifies God cause she’s is immaculate conception fullness of grace!

Our soul consists of our mind, emotions, will and also our physical body, which all ate referred to as our flesh. Our spirit is distinctly separate in a special compartment within our souls. This compartment is empty, dead, void, when we are born. When we receive Christ, God brings that part of to life - we become born again and now able to have a relationship with God. He dwells in this compartment - which is you, a perfected you, separate from your flesh (where sin dwells). It's design is modeled after the Most Holy Place in the Old Temple, where God dwelled. It was separated by a veil. So you can liken the outer court with all the elements to our soul.
This is confusing because people always thought soul and spirit were the same. If they were, they could not be separated. The Word is able to divide the two. They are so highly integrated that they seem like one nature, but in fact we have this dual nature warring against each other. Stephen said as he was being stoned to death, "Receive my spirit." Your spirit is the perfected YOU containing all that is good in your mind, emotions, will, the part that is actually "in Christ".
"For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.”

So when a Christian dies, the spirit separates from our soul and goes to the LORD, pure, white as snow.

So when we praise God audibly it is with our souls (Luke 1:46)and from a deeper part, in our spirits, We rejoice (Luke 1:47)

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom

My lips praise and my souls praises just like Mary's did, for God has been good to me and has blessed me greatly.

And we all can recognise that Jesus was 'immaculately conceived' in Mary's womb through the poser of the Holy spirit.
But if you think it implies Mary's own conception in he mother's womb then I disagree with you and would like you to explain in very simple terms how it means that as some seem to believe.

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
My lips praise and my souls praises just like Mary's did, for God has been good to me and has blessed me greatly.

And we all can recognise that Jesus was 'immaculately conceived' in Mary's womb through the poser of the Holy spirit.
But if you think it implies Mary's own conception in he mother's womb then I disagree with you and would like you to explain in very simple terms how it means that as some seem to believe.

the immaculate conception only refers to Mary in her mother’s womb

Ineffabilis Deus
The Immaculate Conception
Pope BI. Pius IX - 1854

“We declare, pronounce, and define that the doctrine which holds that the most Blessed Virgin Mary, in the first instance of her conception, by a singular grace and privilege granted by Almighty God, in view of the merits of Jesus Christ, the Savior of the human race, was preserved free from all stain of original sin, is a doctrine revealed by God and therefore to be believed firmly and constantly by all the faithful.”