Why Is Raising The Dead So Rare These Days ?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

biggandyy

I am here to help...
Oct 11, 2011
SWPA
If Wigglesworth could raise folks from the dead (i.e. he had power over death), why is he dead?

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
How many folks were raised from the dead in the NT? I can think of three, but I'd like to know if there were more before answering this question.

Angelina

Prayer Warrior
Staff member
Admin
Feb 4, 2011
New Zealand
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
We are only vessels. We cannot raise the dead by our own willpower and nor could anyone else. It is the Holy Spirit that raises the dead. The same Holy Spirit that dwells in all believers. If you have the Holy Spirit abiding in you...then you have the potential to raise the dead. Romans 8:11 nothing is impossible to you because nothing is impossible to God...Luke 1:37

As Shep has pointed out in Matthew 10:7 raising the dead is the same [through the Holy Spirit] as healing the sick and driving out demons. It is rare in the west but not in third world countries. IMO it is because of the spirit of unbelief....

Shalom!

goodshepard55

Feb 27, 2011
Australian
Yep Angelina right on the money...people do not walk in the authority nor the power given to us by Christ....Ask kids and young adults from Youth for Christ about raising the dead...testimonies from about praying for dead babies and adults in third world countries and them raising up alive...people in third world countries believe the God's Word wholly...if it is in the word of God then they believe...not just one thing but all things...

Prentis

May 25, 2011
Montreal, Qc
It is very simple... We do not live in revival... We do not live in the power of the Spirit. Christ came to train men to be fit containers for his power and glory... He does the same always... But now many are being trained, until the time comes. Then God will once again pour out his Spirit.

Let us prepare ourselves and seek him! :)

justaname

Disciple of Jesus Christ
Mar 14, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We in western culture are far too "intelligent" for things to happen for us. We have been clouded by what we taut as "knowledge".
We can change though. Proverbs 3:5-6
We know from the gospels that even Jesus in His own town was hindered by unbelief.
Mark 6:4-5
John 4:44
I myself have never been called to raise the dead. If I am, I have no doubt in the power of God. These acts are reserved for God and His name sake, yet He can chose anyone He wishes to do it.

If Wigglesworth could raise folks from the dead (i.e. he had power over death), why is he dead?
Wigglesworth did not have power over death, God does. Wigglesworth's life in human form is dead because it was/is time for him to be with the Lord.
2 Corinthians 5:8

justaname

Disciple of Jesus Christ
Mar 14, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No I would say Wigglesworth followed God as he was prompted by Him.

biggandyy

I am here to help...
Oct 11, 2011
SWPA
Let's see what Wiggles taught/believed:

He believed God promised physical wholeness in this life.
He believed Christians could speak things into existence.
He believed signs and wonders ALWAYS followed the preaching of the Gospel.
He believed that all sickness was from the devil and taught against all medicine.
He believed we could be sinlessly perfect in this lifetime.
He believed he could pray over a hanky and have that piece of cloth shipped to a sick person and they would be restored.
He believed that Christ was not fully God until after his temptation.

So, no, in my estimation he was NOT a man of God, nor did he speak on God's behalf nor did he wield ANY spiritual gift, much less the gifts he purported to sell to his unsuspecting followers.

justaname

Disciple of Jesus Christ
Mar 14, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So what in your estimation constitutes a person being a man of God? Like beliefs?

Angelina

Prayer Warrior
Staff member
Admin
Feb 4, 2011
New Zealand
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
Smiths Wigglesworth was a mighty man of God who believed and acted on the word of God. Just because his ministry was not understood by others, does not mean he was not following the leading of the Holy Spirit or that he was any less a minister of the Lord. Even the Pharisees and teachers of the Law accused Jesus of driving out demons by the head of demons [Beelzebub] in his day. [Matthew 12:22-37] I will guarantee that every belief Smiths had at that time, can be backed up by scripture. He himself, was just a vessel being used by the power of the Holy Spirit, working through him...I believe that he was learning as he went along...which is more than I can say for others who spoke great words but never ever tested it out by faith...

Shalom!

justaname

Disciple of Jesus Christ
Mar 14, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Biggandyy,
I am definitely one who believes in Baptist faith, but I can not say who a man of God is or isn't. It is God who is the judge, He sits on the white throne, He separates the sheep from the goats, not you or I. I respect your opinion on Wigglesworth, but I see it as just that, an opinion.
I see men of God throughout all denominations. I can not venture to say throughout all faiths men of God are present, for I truly only see two kingdoms. But as to Wigglesworth's defense I can give a scripture that may shed some light.
Hebrews 5:8
If Jesus Himself learned how much more us.
I can not say Smiths' doctrine was perfect, much less his life, but I believe his attempt to be true and just. His message of salvation was grounding, and his faith was bold and exemplary. I never witnessed the dead being raised, but I have faith it is possible. My faith is grounded in scripture.
We are in the dispensation of grace, as the bondservant Paul was also. Why isn't Paul still living? He was brought in under our dispensation.
Why isn't Peter still walking around or O.T. prophets for that matter?
Because like Wigglesworth, it was/is their time to be with our Lord.

goodshepard55

Feb 27, 2011
Australian
The truth of the matter is...If it is in the Word of the Most High God, the great I AM...then it applies today, God has not changed for mankind, mankind has changed....He is the same today, yesterday and tomorrow....Just walk in the authority, believe He has not changed and let Him use you in the ways of the Lord, miracles are happening ever day....Follow Jesus, we have His authority to raise the dead, heal the sick and cast out demons...Call on Him and let Him lead you to the full promises of the Most High...if you don't believe that healing, raising the dead or casting out demons are for today...Ask the Lord Jesus and let Him guide you to the truth....

Now on the same note, if someone had said that to me 8 years ago, I would have been saying the same thing...But since I have found the Jesus of the Word of God, I see miracles, I see healing, I see the deaf hear...I seen broken bones on xray before and after healed for they belonged to my husband...so darlings I would love to see the dead raised...I can pray and ask God to do so...but it is in His power not mine for Him to do so...But I do believe He can and He does....

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It seems to me that the dead are actually raised today. The problem is that it's easier to believe the flesh being risen from the dead, instead of what Jesus intended when he said, "greater than these shall ye do."

I'd like you to read Romans Chapter 8. It says, "So they that are in the flesh cannot please God. But ye are not in the flesh, but in the spirit, if so be that the spirit of God dwell in you, now if any man have not the spirit of Christ, he is none of his. And if Christ be in you the body is dead because of sin, but the spirit is life because of righteousness."

The shortest verse in the Bible is "Jesus wept". That's John 11:35. Incidently, that's the shortest verse in the spirit, but the longest verse in the flesh has fewer letters. That would be "I do." Let me know if anyone got that!

But why did Jesus weep? Please check out the context, and you will see that it was during the incident of Lazarus. Everyone I've ever talked to on the net has said it was because Jesus loved Lazarus so much that gosh darnit! He didn't want to see him die.

I don't think so, and I think that's the key on why we don't see more raised from the dead today.

Shirley

Aug 15, 2011
Ohio USA
I think Jesus cried with compassion. Compassion for the still living ones. Could it be that the compassion and love that God has for us is what activates us to have love and compassion? If I feel love and compassion for someone then God also does! He wants that person set free and healed. He wants me set free and healed. He does miracles so that we can see his goodness and be drawn to him. He longs to ease the suffering of all people every where. He is looking for anyone who will believe his word is true. I want to be his hands and voice. As I step aside to let him have full use of me, I am awed by his goodness to us! He is giving me the faith to believe and let him do his work, as a free gift! Send me LORD!

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well, Shirley, and all others.... let me ask you. Whatever you think Death may be, If you see Paradise and Heaven on one side and going back to life on Earth on the other, what would you choose? It takes a real honest Christian to answer that, doesn't it?

Shirley

Aug 15, 2011
Ohio USA
I would not choose to come back! Unless I was unsaved and then it would be a good idea. Or if God still had more work for a person to do. Raising the dead is rare and then they still have to die again in the flesh. Still though it's great when our Father occationally gives us signs. I think it gives us a mental picture of our hope of the future resurection! I can't wait to see what God is going to do!