Why isn't the shroud of turin in the bible

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Does the bible actually say all we need is scripture
Psalm 119.105. 'Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path'.

2 Timothy 3.16, 17: 'All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:

That the man of God may be perfect, thoroughly furnished unto all good works.'

Psalm 119.89: 'For ever, O LORD, Thy word is settled in heaven.'

John 5.39-41: 'Search the scriptures; for in them ye think ye have eternal life: and they are they which testify of me.

40 And ye will not come to me, that ye might have life.

41 I receive not honour from men.'

Andrew Kind

Oct 14, 2018
Allentown
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
Does the shroud of turin contradict the bible in any way (and I don't mean "strips of linen" found in john)

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I've done tons of hours of research and not only has it not been debunked but there seem to be multiple pieces of evidence supporting it being the real burial cloth of Jesus and proof of his resurrection, what I'm asking is, is there any reason a miracle like this would be left out of the bible
There may be something to this shroud, but the reason it was not mentioned was primarily to keep our focus on the RISEN LORD, not relics.

The Catholic Church went into the business of relics and led many people astray. Based upon the shroud, a replica of Christ has now been created. This is interesting for those who want to see something and then believe.

sculptor.jpg

'The Precise Image of What Jesus Looked Like': 3-D Replica Created from Shroud of Turin

Reactions: Marymog and Nancy

Andrew Kind

Oct 14, 2018
Allentown
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
There may be something to this shroud, but the reason it was not mentioned was primarily to keep our focus on the RISEN LORD, not relics.

The Catholic Church went into the business of relics and led many people astray. Based upon the shroud, a replica of Christ has now been created. This is interesting for those who want to see something and then believe.

sculptor.jpg

'The Precise Image of What Jesus Looked Like': 3-D Replica Created from Shroud of Turin

I doubt mentioning the shroud in the bible would have taken focus away from the resurrection

Andrew Kind

Oct 14, 2018
Allentown
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
Does the shroud of turin contradict the bible in any way (and I don't mean "strips of linen" found in john), please answer my question

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Does the shroud of turin contradict the bible in any way (and I don't mean "strips of linen" found in john), please answer my question
Short Answer: NO.

The Jews wrapped their dead in a shroud of linen and this is what was also done before the entombment of Christ.

And when Joseph had taken the body, he wrapped it in a clean linen cloth, And laid it in his own new tomb, which he had hewn out in the rock: and he rolled a great stone to the door of the sepulchre, and departed. (Mt 27:59,60).

No need to get obsessed with the shroud. It is interesting but not critical. Some believe it is a fake, others that it is genuine.

Andrew Kind

Oct 14, 2018
Allentown
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
Short Answer: NO.

The Jews wrapped their dead in a shroud of linen and this is what was also done before the entombment of Christ.

And when Joseph had taken the body, he wrapped it in a clean linen cloth, And laid it in his own new tomb, which he had hewn out in the rock: and he rolled a great stone to the door of the sepulchre, and departed. (Mt 27:59,60).

No need to get obsessed with the shroud. It is interesting but not critical. Some believe it is a fake, others that it is genuine.

I have to obsess over this nearly all the evidence points to this being the burial cloth of Jesus and proof of his resurrection yet it's not mentioned in the bible at all why would God sire this miracle with the resurrection yet have his word make no mention of it, it makes no sense

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I doubt the shroud is authentic. Furthermore, can some of you shroud experts comment on a fire that alledgedly happened that might have thrown off carbon data? Im asking... I just heard about it.

If the shrous is real, its not a miracle. Its an artifact. If its real, its a real cool artifact! I don't need it to believe in Jesus though.

I am rooting for it to be true just like I am rooting for the ark of the covenent to be hidden away in Etheopia. And I hope they keep it hidden! I hope, but I suspect its not true.

Reactions: Nancy and Helen

Andrew Kind

Oct 14, 2018
Allentown
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
I doubt the shroud is authentic. Furthermore, can some of you shroud experts comment on a fire that alledgedly happened that might have thrown off carbon data? Im asking... I just heard about it.

If the shrous is real, its not a miracle. Its an artifact. If its real, its a real cool artifact! I don't need it to believe in Jesus though.

I am rooting for it to be true just like I am rooting for the ark of the covenent to be hidden away in Etheopia. And I hope they keep it hidden! I hope, but I suspect its not true.

How is an image of Jesus appearing on his burial shroud not a miracle

Frank Lee

Feb 23, 2017
Ouachita Mountains
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
God forbid that artifacts be proven... were it remotely possible, to be associated with Jesus.

Instantly we'd have the First church of the shroud and then your gift of an exact shroud replica for a gift of $Xxx to our ministry. Shroudites would doubtless go about wearing Holy serapes.

Had God allowed the body of Moses to be located how many Jews and Muslims would make a shrine from the tomb?

God holds faith as precious but men so quickly fix onto an object. Moses wasn't out of sight until Aaron was pounding out a golden calf in his goldsmith shop.

That the very mention of this piece of historical flotsam be mentioned at all is indeed strange, if not disgusting and ridiculous, at a Christian discussion. At least to yours truly. . As a Christian what does it matter? Not at all.

Time and again we see some worthless artifact that belonged to a famous person sell for a fortune. I just shake my scruffy old head.

If supporting evidence beyond faith is required for anyone then something is wrong. Blessed are those that have not seen yet believe.

I'm waiting for the shroud of Mary to be announced. Stand back! The throngs of faithful are about to stampede with armloads of flowers.

Andrew Kind

Oct 14, 2018
Allentown
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
God forbid that artifacts be proven... were it remotely possible, to be associated with Jesus.

Instantly we'd have the First church of the shroud and then your gift of an exact shroud replica for a gift of $Xxx to our ministry. Shroudites would doubtless go about wearing Holy serapes.

Had God allowed the body of Moses to be located how many Jews and Muslims would make a shrine from the tomb?

God holds faith as precious but men so quickly fix onto an object. Moses wasn't out of sight until Aaron was pounding out a golden calf in his goldsmith shop.

That the very mention of this piece of historical flotsam be mentioned at all is indeed strange, if not disgusting and ridiculous, at a Christian discussion. At least to yours truly. . As a Christian what does it matter? Not at all.

Time and again we see some worthless artifact that belonged to a famous person sell for a fortune. I just shake my scruffy old head.

If supporting evidence beyond faith is required for anyone then something is wrong. Blessed are those that have not seen yet believe.

I'm waiting for the shroud of Mary to be announced. Stand back! The throngs of faithful are about to stampede with armloads of flowers.

So are you saying that the shroud of turin violates the second commandment?