Why its important to keep the Sabbath

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
God carved out the stone and wrote the TEN COMMANDMENTS on them with HIS HANDS.

"The works of HIS HANDS are verity and judgment. All HIS COMMANDMENTS are sure..." - Psalms 111:7-8 KJV​

If you read the scriptures that is not quite right. And you have been given the scriptures so I guess you prefer to making it up as you go?

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You know people have told you that you are little too critical of God’s creation. And I am sure you have your own definition of good….and that is fine. The normative. What is good? Good does not get you to Heaven or prevent you from going to Hell. No one is perfect but even so that alone would not save you. Salvation is through Yeshua as in belief thereof and follows His teachings. Be good and do good.
it aint being critical to say there is none that are good .
The dire importance of having to BELIEVE JESUS is CHRIST is fast being replaced with a false love
a false love that in truth is only meant to gather all religoins and people as one . OH its a sham all right
and sadly now over seventy percent of christendom believe GOD is fine with all religoins . its not looking good at all these days .

Reactions: Marvelloustime

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You know people have told you that you are little too critical of God’s creation. And I am sure you have your own definition of good….and that is fine. The normative. What is good? Good does not get you to Heaven or prevent you from going to Hell. No one is perfect but even so that alone would not save you. Salvation is through Yeshua as in belief thereof and follows His teachings. Be good and do good.
Ps , its not mans standards of what is good . ITS GOD , HIS STANDARDS . and ER ONE FALLS FAR SHORT OF THAT .
thus ONCE AGAIN , tis time for the church to kick out the rainbow flags
to stop trying to find common ground with false religoins , and rather TRY PREACHING the DIRE NEED TO BELIEVE ON JESUS CHRIST .
cause , HE IS THE ONLY ONE , the ONLY NAME whereby one may be saved .
TIME WE PREACH that GOSPLE again . and Let us always remember , GOD NOR HIS CHRIST are the ministir of sin .
SO the next time a man tries to bring in a IMAM to teach the church or a rainbow flag , JUST KNOW JESUS < GOD IS NOT
well pleased at all with that .
TRUTH IS , its because of the all inclusive delusion of diversity , and so called sin accepting social justice
that the wrath of GOD WILL COME UPON THEM ALL .
cause
A , it tries to make JESUS the minstir of sin
and B its TRODS the DIRE NEED TO HAVE BELIEVED ON HIM right under foot . OH YEAH its not looking too good these days .
BUT i aint giving up hope . At least some might hear and repent , though most wont .

Phoneman777

Jan 14, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Commentaries and study Bibles generally a void this scripture like the plague or dance around it, but I did find this, which stands to reason….. It seems that there were laws from God which we had to keep even before the law that came 430 years later ( Galatians 3:17 ) and Abraham was blessed because He kept those laws. Send me a picture of tongue in cheek~~~

So why did they observe the 7th day as a holy day?....honorary observance?
Of course, there was a law prior to Mount Sinai, which God says Abraham kept:

Galatians 3:19 KJV​
[19] Wherefore then serveth the (Mosaic ceremonial and sacrificial) law? It was added (to the Ten Commandments which go all the way back to the beginning) because of transgressions (of the Ten Commandments), till the Seed should come (and nail the Mosaic Law to the Cross) to whom the promise was made; and it was ordained by angels in the hand of a mediator.​

The Ten Commandments go all the way back - Cain knew not to kill, Rachel knew not to steal, Abraham knew not to lie, Joseph knew not to commit adultery - and "stand fast forever and ever". The Mosaic Law began at Sinai and was nailed to the Cross.

Last edited:

Phoneman777

Jan 14, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
But as to your first sentence: how do we know this?
Several proofs:

"Sin" is defined by 1 John 3:4 as "transgression of the law" and Ezekiel says Satan "sinned" in heaven.

Cain and Moses knew it was wrong to murder.
Rachel knew not to steal.
Joseph knew adultery was "great wickedness and sin against God".
Abraham knew not to lie.
Jacob knew idols and false gods were wrong.
Job knew it was wrong to commit blasphemy.

Here's a good link I bookmarked I found some time back:

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Of course, there was a law prior to Mount Sinai, which God says Abraham kept:

Galatians 3:19 KJV​
[19] Wherefore then serveth the (Mosaic ceremonial and sacrificial) law? It was added (to the Ten Commandments which go all the way back to the beginning) because of transgressions (of the Ten Commandments), till the Seed should come (and nail the Mosaic Law to the Cross) to whom the promise was made; and it was ordained by angels in the hand of a mediator.​

The Ten Commandments go all the way back - Cain knew not to kill, Rachel knew not to steal, Abraham knew not to lie, Joseph knew not to commit adultery - and "stand fast forever and ever". The Mosaic Law began at Sinai and was nailed to the Cross.

Galatians 3:19 NASB
Why the Law then? It was added on account of the violations, having been ordered through angels at the hand of a mediator, until the Seed would come to whom the promise had been made.

Galatians 3:19 KJV
Wherefore then serveth the law? It was added because of transgressions, till the seed should come to whom the promise was made; and it was ordained by angels in the hand of a mediator.

Where did you get that extra wording.....making it up as ya go again? I have always said that the KJV is wrong enough that you could start a whole new religion.....And the KJV translation is even out of context. LOL

I can give you a hammer and nail and you can try to nail that Jell-O up in your church.

Phoneman777

Jan 14, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If you read the scriptures that is not quite right. And you have been given the scriptures so I guess you prefer to making it up as you go?
Here, I'll explain it again:

"The works of His hands (God wrote the Ten Commandments on stone per Deuteronomy 10:1-4 KJV and Exodus 34:27-28 KJV) are verity and judgment; all His commandments are sure. They stand fast forever and ever and are done in truth and uprightness". - Psalms 111:7-7 KJV

A blind man can see that "works of His hands" and "His commandments" are connected in these two verses.

Last edited:

Phoneman777

Jan 14, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Galatians 3:19 NASB
Why the Law then? It was added on account of the violations, having been ordered through angels at the hand of a mediator, until the Seed would come to whom the promise had been made.

Galatians 3:19 KJV
Wherefore then serveth the law? It was added because of transgressions, till the seed should come to whom the promise was made; and it was ordained by angels in the hand of a mediator.

Where did you get that extra wording.....making it up as ya go again? I have always said that the KJV is wrong enough that you could start a whole new religion.....And the KJV translation is even out of context. LOL

I can give you a hammer and nail and you can try to nail that Jell-O up in your church.
Sorry for assuming you understood the difference between "Scripture exposition" and the sin of "Scripture alteration".

Now that you know the parenthetical portions are "Scripture exposition", please go back and re-read the post to gain a proper understanding of what Paul said.

David in NJ

Jul 20, 2021
Denville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So, why is it the only one you're telling us to forget?

The Ten Commandments existed before Exodus and were merely codified in Exodus. You do realize that codification doesn't deny prior existence of the things being codified, right?

Look, it's you - not me - that needs lessons for why the Sabbath commandment remains for the Christian to remember...because you're the one speaking out of both sides of his mouth as to why we can forget it, by arguing that grace somehow simultaneously elevates days 1 - 6 but also demotes day 7.

i never once said forget the sabbath.

JESUS says HE is the REST of God.

JESUS only REMINDED His Disciples and the World that HE alone is where Sabbath REST can be found.

Last edited:
Reactions: amigo de christo

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Here, I'll explain it again:

"The works of His hands (God wrote the Ten Commandments on stone per Deuteronomy 10:1-4 KJV and Exodus 34:27-28 KJV) are verity and judgment; all His commandments are sure. They stand fast forever and ever and are done in truth and uprightness". - Psalms 111:7-7 KJV

A blind man can see that "works of His hands" and "His commandments" are connected in these two verses.
Psalm 111:7-8 NASB
The works of His hands are truth and justice; All His precepts are sure. They are upheld forever and ever; They are performed in truth and uprightness.

Have you ever tried Palm reading?

Either way this Psalm and it is about God's work and it being good and true and eternal, but no reference specifically to Genesis....or Exodus or Commandments or the or keeping the 7th day holy specifically….sure God is everywhere and does everything and works in mysterious ways. What is the difference between being blind and imaging things? Beliefs, Truths, Facts…..and I always say, beliefs can be anything….and you are proving.

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Sorry for assuming you understood the difference between "Scripture exposition" and the sin of "Scripture alteration".

Now that you know the parenthetical portions are "Scripture exposition", please go back and re-read the post to gain a proper understanding of what Paul said.
The KJV just rewords the scripture.....point....pointless. You have to look at the actual word that are there and the words that are not there.

Phoneman777

Jan 14, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
i never once said forget the sabbath.
James says if you kill "thou art become a transgressor of the law".

Does working on the 7th day Sabbath cause one to "become a transgressor of the law"?

Phoneman777

Jan 14, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Psalm 111:7-8 NASB
The works of His hands are truth and justice; All His precepts are sure. They are upheld forever and ever; They are performed in truth and uprightness.
I prefer the KJV, but both versions are referring to when God wrote on the tables of stone.
Have you ever tried Palm reading?
Have you tried Bible reading?
Either way this Psalm and it is about God's work and it being good and true and eternal, but no reference specifically to Genesis....or Exodus or Commandments or the or keeping the 7th day holy specifically….sure God is everywhere and does everything and works in mysterious ways. What is the difference between being blind and imaging things? Beliefs, Truths, Facts…..and I always say, beliefs can be anything….and you are proving.
It's easy to see that "works of His hands" and "all His commandments" turn out attention back to Mount Sinai - for those who are willing.

Unwillingness to do God's will - which is keeping the Ten Commandments (Psalms 40:8 KJV) - causes Scriptural blindness (John 7:17 KJV).

David in NJ

Jul 20, 2021
Denville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Does working on the 7th day Sabbath cause one to "become a transgressor of the law"?
Does James say if you do not keep saturday sabbath you are a transgressor?

If you continue in religious works under the law you will remain under wrath.

Therefore, since a promise remains of entering His rest, let us fear lest any of you seem to have come short of it. For indeed the gospel was preached to us as well as to them; but the word which they heard did not profit them, not being mixed with faith in those who heard it. For we who have believed do enter that rest, as He has said:

“So I swore in My wrath,
‘They shall not enter My rest,’

Phoneman777

Jan 14, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The KJV just rewords the scripture.....point....pointless. You have to look at the actual word that are there and the words that are not there.
"ex•po•si•tion" - noun: "a comprehensive description and explanation of an idea or theory."

It's more than acceptable to add words to explain truth so long as they don't distort truth.

It's is a fact that the Mosaic Law of ceremonies and sacrifices was added in 1450 B.C. to the Ten Commandments which go back to the beginning.

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

There is no suprise that James would say this and he believed it.....But we do not.

A little background on early Christianity.

As with the scriptures and also with history….circumstances and the timeline and sequence of events and eras confound a lot of people, ya got to keep it straight because if you don’t it gets confusing.

The era of the biblical period was a transitional period and like all of history things did not change like flipping a switch. From the start of Christ’s ministry to essentially the end of the 1st century the scriptures record the start of Christianity, around 70 years. To say that it was volatile is an understatement. The first Christians, the Apostles were Jewish-Christians and they had a strained relationship with the Jews. And after the Apostle Paul started his ministry to the Gentiles the Jewish-Christians had issues with Paul and the Gentile-Christians. At the same time the Romans were persecuting the Jews, the Jewish-Christians, and the Gentile-Christians.

In this thread we are insisting that the Old Testament Laws and customs do not apply to Christianity. Then again there is always a BUT…..

The Apostles were Jewish and for what we know of them they were practicing a form of Jewish Christianity ….and even at that we do not know exactly how they were doing that. It appears that the Jewish-Christians were still observing the Jewish Saturday Sabbath and at least some of the Laws and customs of the Old Testament. Laws like circumcision. Circumcision is a big deal because it is like baptism in Christianity, it is the ritual entry into the religion. The Jewish-Christian position was that you had to be indoctrinated into the Jewish religion first to be a Christian. The Apostle Paul’s ministry challenged that.

The Jews were still practicing polygamy and concubinage….We do not have a good read read in the scriptures if the Jewish-Christians and Gentile-Christians were practicing polygamy and concubinage but Paul stipulated that a church leader had to be the husband of one wife. 1st Timothy 3:2

All of the Apostles were Jews and Christ was a Jew and apparently the Apostle Paul was the most educated Jew of the bunch.....Apostles. And during Christ’s ministry they were still in the Old Covenant and required to observe the Mosaic Laws. And for the Jewish-Christians not a lot changed after the cross and resurrection except there was path to Heaven….Salvation. In one way or another the Jewish-Christians were observing the Mosaic Law….but to what extent we do not exactly know, but it was different enough that the Jews took exception to them and felt that their belief in Yeshua as a God was Idolatry. In the beginning the Jewish-Christians were attempting to convert the Jews….and the Jews took exception to this also. So the Jewish-Christians met resistance to this and were only having minimal success.

The conversion of Paul is a story in itself. He initially joins in with the Jewish-Apostles with their attempt to convert Jews but when this becomes too hostile he turns to the Gentiles…..And when they resisted and blasphemed, he shook out his garments and said to them, “Your blood be upon your own heads! I am clean. From now on I shall go to the Gentiles.” Acts 18:6

Did Christ intend for Paul to start a ministry to the Gentiles? .... But the Lord said to him, “Go, for he is a chosen instrument of Mine, to bear My name before the Gentiles and kings and the sons of Israel; Acts 9:15

Did Yeshua tell Paul to start a ministry to the Gentiles? ... And He said to me, ‘Go! For I will send you far away to the Gentiles.’” Acts 22:21

Paul and Barnabas spoke out boldly and said, “It was necessary that the word of God be spoken to you first; since you repudiate it and judge yourselves unworthy of eternal life, behold, we are turning to the Gentiles. “For so the Lord has commanded us, ‘I HAVE PLACED YOU AS A LIGHT FOR THE GENTILES, THAT YOU MAY BRING SALVATION TO THE END OF THE EARTH.’” Acts 13:46&47

Unworthy of eternal life….Paul’s ministry taught that Christians were not under Law and Gentile-Christians did not observe the Mosaic Law….that is the Laws and customs of the Old Testament. The Jews and the Jewish-Christians took exception to this. Eventually Peter joins Paul’s ministry. . The scriptures below outlines the hostilities between the Jews and Jewish-Christians and Paul’s ministries. Then some of the believers who belonged to the party of the Pharisees stood up and said, “The Gentiles must be circumcised and required to keep the law of Moses.” Acts 15:5 This is where the term Judaizers comes from.

Eventually Paul, Peter, and Barnabas confront the Jewish-Christians at a meeting in Jerusalem. Acts 15:6-41 and the ruling was…. It seemed good to the Holy Spirit and to us not to burden you with anything beyond the following requirements: You are to abstain from food sacrificed to idols, from blood, from the meat of strangled animals and from sexual immorality. You will do well to avoid these things. Acts 15:28-29

So the Gentile-Christians did not observe the Mosaic Laws nor the Saturday Jewish Sabbath….the Gentile-Christians were not allowed in the Temple anyway. Keep in mind that the Gentile-Christians were worshipping in hiding. They worshipped in catacombs and out in the wilderness and eventually in house churches so as not to be harassed by the Jews or the Romans.

As it turn out the Gentiles-Christian sect is the sect that survives. The Jewish-Christian sect dies out shortly after the destruction of the Temple by the Romans in 70 AD. Shortly after….No one knows exactly when they ceased to exist but no Jewish-Christian writings exist after the 1st century. The Gentile-Christians take the helm of the Church and designate Sunday as the Christian day of worship and rest….Called the Lord’s Day in reference to Christ’s resurrection. And these are the beliefs that we have today.

So this is why there is opposition to the claim that Christians should observe the Saturday Jewish Sabbath in this thread.

Act 7:57-58 The martyrdom of Stephen
57 At this they covered their ears and, yelling at the top of their voices, they all rushed at him, 58 dragged him out of the city and began to stone him. Meanwhile, the witnesses laid their coats at the feet of a young man named Saul.

Act 8:1-3
On that day a great persecution broke out against the church in Jerusalem, and all except the apostles were scattered throughout Judea and Samaria. 2 Godly men buried Stephen and mourned deeply for him. 3 But Saul began to destroy the church. Going from house to house, he dragged off both men and women and put them in prison.

Act 13:44-52
44 On the next Sabbath almost the whole city gathered to hear the word of the Lord. 45 When the Jews saw the crowds, they were filled with jealousy. They began to contradict what Paul was saying and heaped abuse on him. 46 Then Paul and Barnabas answered them boldly: “We had to speak the word of God to you first. Since you reject it and do not consider yourselves worthy of eternal life, we now turn to the Gentiles. 47 For this is what the Lord has commanded us: “‘I have made you a light for the Gentiles, that you may bring salvation to the ends of the earth.’” 48 When the Gentiles heard this, they were glad and honored the word of the Lord; and all who were appointed for eternal life believed. 49 The word of the Lord spread through the whole region. 50 But the Jewish leaders incited the God-fearing women of high standing and the leading men of the city. They stirred up persecution against Paul and Barnabas, and expelled them from their region. 51 So they shook the dust off their feet as a warning to them and went to Iconium. 52 And the disciples were filled with joy and with the Holy Spirit.

Acts 14:1-7
At Iconium Paul and Barnabas went as usual into the Jewish synagogue. There they spoke so effectively that a great number of Jews and Greeks believed. 2 But the Jews who refused to believe stirred up the other Gentiles and poisoned their minds against the brothers. 3 So Paul and Barnabas spent considerable time there, speaking boldly for the Lord, who confirmed the message of his grace by enabling them to perform signs and wonders. 4 The people of the city were divided; some sided with the Jews, others with the apostles. 5 There was a plot afoot among both Gentiles and Jews, together with their leaders, to mistreat them and stone them. 6 But they found out about it and fled to the Lycaonian cities of Lystra and Derbe and to the surrounding country, 7 where they continued to preach the gospel.

Acts 14:19=20
19 Then some Jews came from Antioch and Iconium and won the crowd over. They stoned Paul and dragged him outside the city, thinking he was dead. 20 But after the disciples had gathered around him, he got up and went back into the city. The next day he and Barnabas left for Derbe.

Act 15:5
Then some of the believers who belonged to the party of the Pharisees stood up and said, “The Gentiles must be circumcised and required to keep the law of Moses.”

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
"ex•po•si•tion" - noun: "a comprehensive description and explanation of an idea or theory."

It's more than acceptable to add words to explain truth so long as they don't distort truth.

Trying to justify messing up. What you did with that scripture is exactly what cult leaders do…..God is too stupid to say what He means….let me explain it to you.

And the KJV the preferred Bible of cults.

Phoneman777

Jan 14, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Does James say if you do not keep saturday sabbath you are a transgressor?

If you continue in religious works under the law you will remain under wrath.

Therefore, since a promise remains of entering His rest, let us fear lest any of you seem to have come short of it. For indeed the gospel was preached to us as well as to them; but the word which they heard did not profit them, not being mixed with faith in those who heard it. For we who have believed do enter that rest, as He has said:

“So I swore in My wrath,
‘They shall not enter My rest,’
Do you not understand that each time you evade our questions only serves to further convince the sincere truth seeker of the emptiness of your arguments?

Does breaking the 4th commandment which forbids working on the Sabbath day make one as much a "transgressor of the law" as does breaking the 6th commandment?