Why its important to keep the Sabbath

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Hobie

Jun 11, 2009
South Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We work and take care of what gives us physical substance to stay alive, but God knows that man also needs the spiritual. If all we did was work we would soon waste away in exhaustion of mind and body with no thoughts of our Creator whom we owe our existence or His love for us, to say nothing of His plan of redemption. The Sabbath is important, as in God's final warning messages to the world we find a call to worship the Creator.
Revelation 14:6-7
6 And I saw another angel fly in the midst of heaven, having the everlasting gospel to preach unto them that dwell on the earth, and to every nation, and kindred, and tongue, and people, 7 Saying with a loud voice, Fear God, and give glory to him; for the hour of his judgment is come: and worship him that made heaven, and earth, and the sea, and the fountains of waters.

The call to worship in Revelation 14:7 brings us back to the Sabbath Commandment which God set aside specifically for holy purposes:
Exodus 20:8-11
8 Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy.
9 Six days shalt thou labour, and do all thy work:
10 But the seventh day is the sabbath of the Lord thy God: in it thou shalt not do any work, thou, nor thy son, nor thy daughter, thy manservant, nor thy maidservant, nor thy cattle, nor thy stranger that is within thy gates:
11 For in six days the Lord made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them is, and rested the seventh day: wherefore the Lord blessed the sabbath day, and hallowed it.

Throughout the scriptures we can see an emphasis on the recognition of the Creator.
Revelation 4:11
Thou art worthy, O Lord, to receive glory and honour and power: for thou hast created all things, and for thy pleasure they are and were created.

Nehemiah 9:6
Thou, even thou, art Lord alone; thou hast made heaven, the heaven of heavens, with all their host, the earth, and all things that are therein, the seas, and all that is therein, and thou preservest them all; and the host of heaven worshippeth thee.

Psalm 33:6
By the word of the Lord were the heavens made; and all the host of them by the breath of his mouth.

Psalm 96:4-5
4 For the Lord is great, and greatly to be praised: he is to be feared above all gods.
5 For all the gods of the nations are idols: but the Lord made the heavens.

Psalm 121:1-2
1 I will lift up mine eyes unto the hills, from whence cometh my help.
2 My help cometh from the Lord, which made heaven and earth.

Isaiah 45:18
For thus saith the Lord that created the heavens; God himself that formed the earth and made it; he hath established it, he created it not in vain, he formed it to be inhabited: I am the Lord; and there is none else.

Acts 4:24
And when they heard that, they lifted up their voice to God with one accord, and said, Lord, thou art God, which hast made heaven, and earth, and the sea, and all that in them is:

By keeping the Sabbath holy, as He commanded us, we show our love for Him and give recognition of His authority in our life.
1 John 5:1-3
1Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: and every one that loveth him that begat loveth him also that is begotten of him.2 By this we know that we love the children of God, when we love God, and keep his commandments. 3 For this is the love of God, that we keep his commandments: and his commandments are not grievous.

All the other commandments we can pretend to follow, but the importance of the Sabbath stands out, it is a sign, the standard of God. When he draws his battle line, the true believers put on the armor and choose God, the deceived put on the "traditions" of men and the false doctrines of the rebel who raises his banner of his 'authority'.

The Sabbath cannot be hidden under a bushel, you can hide your idols, swear against God out of hearing of others and love other gods such as sex, money, fame... and no one would know. But like Daniel praying at his window for all to see the Sabbath is a clear display of our love for God when we worship him. Its important...

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
'
google-smiling-face-with-heart-shaped-eyes-960d-mysmiley-net.png

'

GerhardEbersoehn

Jan 14, 2014
Johannesburg
www.biblestudents.co.za
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa

Why it's important I believe the Sabbath--because the love of God cost me nothing but cost Him everything in that the Christ according to the Scriptures had to suffer and according to the Scriptures the third day had to rise again.​

• Love
Reactions: BarneyFife

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Why it's important I believe the Sabbath--because the love of God cost me nothing but cost Him everything in that the Christ according to the Scriptures had to suffer and according to the Scriptures the third day had to rise again.​

Still waiting for you to back up your wild extravagant accusations against me with those pesky things called evidence? Or are you just happy flinging false accusations against brethren?

Reactions: David in NJ

BlessedPeace

Aug 22, 2023
Bend
akiane.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We work and take care of what gives us physical substance to stay alive, but God knows that man also needs the spiritual. If all we did was work we would soon waste away in exhaustion of mind and body with no thoughts of our Creator whom we owe our existence or His love for us, to say nothing of His plan of redemption. The Sabbath is important, as in God's final warning messages to the world we find a call to worship the Creator.
6 And I saw another angel fly in the midst of heaven, having the everlasting gospel to preach unto them that dwell on the earth, and to every nation, and kindred, and tongue, and people, 7 Saying with a loud voice, Fear God, and give glory to him; for the hour of his judgment is come: and worship him that made heaven, and earth, and the sea, and the fountains of waters.

The call to worship in Revelation 14:7 brings us back to the Sabbath Commandment which God set aside specifically for holy purposes:
10 But the seventh day is the sabbath of the Lord thy God: in it thou shalt not do any work, thou, nor thy son, nor thy daughter, thy manservant, nor thy maidservant, nor thy cattle, nor thy stranger that is within thy gates:
11 For in six days the Lord made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them is, and rested the seventh day: wherefore the Lord blessed the sabbath day, and hallowed it.

Throughout the scriptures we can see an emphasis on the recognition of the Creator.
Thou art worthy, O Lord, to receive glory and honour and power: for thou hast created all things, and for thy pleasure they are and were created.

Thou, even thou, art Lord alone; thou hast made heaven, the heaven of heavens, with all their host, the earth, and all things that are therein, the seas, and all that is therein, and thou preservest them all; and the host of heaven worshippeth thee.

By the word of the Lord were the heavens made; and all the host of them by the breath of his mouth.

4 For the Lord is great, and greatly to be praised: he is to be feared above all gods.

For thus saith the Lord that created the heavens; God himself that formed the earth and made it; he hath established it, he created it not in vain, he formed it to be inhabited: I am the Lord; and there is none else.

And when they heard that, they lifted up their voice to God with one accord, and said, Lord, thou art God, which hast made heaven, and earth, and the sea, and all that in them is:

By keeping the Sabbath holy, as He commanded us, we show our love for Him and give recognition of His authority in our life.
1Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: and every one that loveth him that begat loveth him also that is begotten of him.2 By this we know that we love the children of God, when we love God, and keep his commandments. 3 For this is the love of God, that we keep his commandments: and his commandments are not grievous.

All the other commandments we can pretend to follow, but the importance of the Sabbath stands out, it is a sign, the standard of God. When he draws his battle line, the true believers put on the armor and choose God, the deceived put on the "traditions" of men and the false doctrines of the rebel who raises his banner of his 'authority'.

The Sabbath cannot be hidden under a bushel, you can hide your idols, swear against God out of hearing of others and love other gods such as sex, money, fame... and no one would know. But like Daniel praying at his window for all to see the Sabbath is a clear display of our love for God when we worship him. Its important...
These threads will never persuade those opposed.

In Jesus we have our rest,he is Lord of the Sabbath. Because he made it for us.
His Holy Spirit is within us every day of the week. While recognizing one day,God's gift, is wrong or unnecessary.

Because God's laws no longer apply.

That's why it's OK to lie,be a put heist, disrespect our parents, cheat on our spouse....

We don't go to Hell for not recognizing the Sabbath day. Not even while worshipping God on the day of the Roman pagans god.

However,we shall answer for every word we spoke in insisting our free will abolished respect for God's gift of a day of rest.

GerhardEbersoehn

Jan 14, 2014
Johannesburg
www.biblestudents.co.za
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
Why would I not, why should I not, why could I not devote my life to write about the Sabbath of the LORD my GOD and Saviour while He Saved my soul when "Christ, the All in all fulfilling Fullness of God, was given to the Church as Head ... in the mid-afternoon daylight fullness of the Sabbath Day''?

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If you are Jewish the Saturday Jewish Sabbath is important and required.

If you are Christian it hurts nothing to observe the Sabbath, but you do not want favor the Sabbath over the Lord’s Day.

If you are Christian there is no requirement to observe the Jewish Saturday Sabbath.

Even modern Jews have a hard time agreeing on how to correctly observe the Jewish Saturday Sabbath in accordance with the Mosaic Law. For Christians it is would be easier because the Mosaic Law does not apply to Christians. So they can just worship on Saturday if they want. Even saying a special prayer on Saturday if you want.

My opinion is that it is more correct and more important to be fully involved with the church, which would include Sunday and Wednesday services and involvement with church activities.

GerhardEbersoehn

Jan 14, 2014
Johannesburg
www.biblestudents.co.za
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
man o man
Maybe God one day may reveal Himself inseparable from his Law. "You search the Scriptures as though you find life in them BUT THEY WITNESS OF ME" SAID JESUS CHRIST.

Post script hint. Try write one post without using the words I or we or my or our for once. DOES NOT SCRIPTURE SAY IT IS "the Sabbath Day OF THE LORD---your / my---GOD". Let Christ Jesus declare: "the third day I, RISE !"... not i, me, you, they. Let the "LORD OF THE SABBATH" be LORD of the Sabbath Day; let us, be still, and HIM, BE TRIUMPHATOR. Then let us raise the SONG OF MOSES AND OF THE LAMB, Exodus 15, "Then (on the third day when the LORD GOD had brought his People up out of the Red Sea and grave of sin and death) sang Moses and the children of Israel this song unto the LORD, and spake, saying, I will sing unto the LORD, for he hath triumphed gloriously: the horse and his rider hath he thrown into the sea. The LORD is my strength and song, and he is become my salvation: he is my God, and I will prepare him an habitation; my father's God, and I will exalt him. The LORD is a man of war: the LORD is his name."

Last edited:

David in NJ

Jul 20, 2021
Denville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

The call to worship in Revelation 14:7 brings us back to the Sabbath Commandment which God set aside specifically for holy purposes:Exodus 20:8-11
This statement above is pure 'poppycock' and even sin-full.

The call to worship in Revelation 14:7 is to the "everlasting Gospel"
AND
to HIM, the Creator = the LORD Jesus Christ

Adding 'old covenant' law to weigh you down in sin and guilt is the path of Pharisees and Sadducees.

Make STRAIGHT the Paths of the LORD = the Everlasting Gospel

"And the Word became flesh and dwelt among us, and we beheld His glory,
the glory as of the only begotten of the Father, full of grace and truth.

And of His fullness we have all received, and grace for grace.

For the law was given through Moses, but grace and truth came through Jesus Christ."

There is not a single commandment given in the Gospel or by the Apostles
and no where in Revelation on going back to the law or saturday sabbath law.

There is a Sabbath REST of God that if you fail to enter into it, you will die in your sins.

Reactions: Zao is life

GerhardEbersoehn

Jan 14, 2014
Johannesburg
www.biblestudents.co.za
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
If by "by keeping the Sabbath holy, as He commanded us, we show our love for Him and give recognition of His authority in our life" we show Him no love and give no recognition of His authority in our life, BUT ARE LYING HYPOCRITES BECAUSE NONE OF US EVER kept God's Sabbath, holy.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We work and take care of what gives us physical substance to stay alive, but God knows that man also needs the spiritual. If all we did was work we would soon waste away in exhaustion of mind and body with no thoughts of our Creator whom we owe our existence or His love for us, to say nothing of His plan of redemption.
Doesn't He supply my spiritual need at all times? This is the Sabbath rest in Christ, in which we rest from ALL our works. All.

My mind is on my Creator for the greatest part of 24/7, not just one day on the weekend. My reliance upon Him is at all times.

This is not a command to keep the Sabbath, and in fact this message is not being broadcast by the angel today. It will be in the time to come, but we should keep everything in it's context, yes?

Yes, I worship God my Creator, Creator of all, and keep His commandments - best I am able - to trust, and love.

1 John 4:21 KJV
And this commandment have we from him, That he who loveth God love his brother also.

You cannot pretend anything, not in some way that matters, and you can pretend any of them, particularly to yourself.

But what if in fact our sabbath is in fact our rest in Christ, and not keeping a day for for physical rest? The importance of the Sabbath is that we rest in Christ, in His finished work, not our ongoing works. That seems to me the greater problem. Looking to the keeping of a day for a spiritual ministration.

And some tie ropes to themselves and their doorpost so they can go further than the Sabbath allows. They string strings around entire neighborhoods, and call the entire area "home". I can make a display of myself "keeping the Sabbath", while looking to that outward show as though it brings me spiritual benefit. These things are not good.

The true sabbath is our rest in Christ, knowing He has provided for us all we need.

Much love!

David in NJ

Jul 20, 2021
Denville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Doesn't He supply my spiritual need at all times? This is the Sabbath rest in Christ, in which we rest from ALL our works. All.

My mind is on my Creator for the greatest part of 24/7, not just one day on the weekend. My reliance upon Him is at all times.

This is not a command to keep the Sabbath, and in fact this message is not being broadcast by the angel today. It will be in the time to come, but we should keep everything in it's context, yes?

Yes, I worship God my Creator, Creator of all, and keep His commandments - best I am able - to trust, and love.

1 John 4:21 KJV
And this commandment have we from him, That he who loveth God love his brother also.

You cannot pretend anything, not in some way that matters, and you can pretend any of them, particularly to yourself.

But what if in fact our sabbath is in fact our rest in Christ, and not keeping a day for for physical rest? The importance of the Sabbath is that we rest in Christ, in His finished work, not our ongoing works. That seems to me the greater problem. Looking to the keeping of a day for a spiritual ministration.

And some tie ropes to themselves and their doorpost so they can go further than the Sabbath allows. They string strings around entire neighborhoods, and call the entire area "home". I can make a display of myself "keeping the Sabbath", while looking to that outward show as though it brings me spiritual benefit. These things are not good.

The true sabbath is our rest in Christ, knowing He has provided for us all we need.

Much love!
Somebody on here 'get's the Message' - good word

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
These threads will never persuade those opposed.

In Jesus we have our rest,he is Lord of the Sabbath. Because he made it for us.
His Holy Spirit is within us every day of the week. While recognizing one day,God's gift, is wrong or unnecessary.

That's why it's OK to lie,be a put heist, disrespect our parents, cheat on our spouse....

We don't go to Hell for not recognizing the Sabbath day. Not even while worshipping God on the day of the Roman pagans god.

However,we shall answer for every word we spoke in insisting our free will abolished respect for God's gift of a day of rest.
Can't tell you how wrong your line of reasoning is!

Scripture makes it clear the law (Mosaic Law) could never make on righteous or save a single soul.

Sin derives its strength from the law law (Mosaic Law)

The bible also makes clear we are no longer under the Mosaic Law.

Lying cheatin stealing etc. are still sins but not because of the Mosaic Law but the Law of christ!

GerhardEbersoehn

Jan 14, 2014
Johannesburg
www.biblestudents.co.za
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
Adding 'old covenant' law to weigh you down in sin and guilt is the path of Pharisees and Sadducees.
Adding old covenant law is you and is your adding old covenant law, Pharisee! YOURS is the path of Pharisees and Sadducees that weighs down in sin and guilt. GOD NEVER HAD AND SCRIPTURE NEVER SPEAKS OF AN 'OLD COVENANT' THAT WAS GOD'S, YOU LYING DEVIL WORSHIPPER.

• Sad

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Adding old covenant law is you and is your adding old covenant law, Pharisee! YOURS is the path of Pharisees and Sadducees that weighs down in sin and guilt. GOD NEVER HAD AND SCRIPTURE NEVER SPEAKS OF AN 'OLD COVENANT' THAT WAS GOD'S, YOU LYING DEVIL WORSHIPPER.

Jeremiah 31:31-32

King James Version

31 Behold, the days come, saith the Lord, that I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel, and with the house of Judah:
32 Not according to the covenant that I made with their fathers in the day that I took them by the hand to bring them out of the land of Egypt; which my covenant they brake, although I was an husband unto them, saith the Lord:

God made a covenant with Israel! It was Gods covenant with Israel! Wrong again!

Calling a brother a lying devil worshipper is bearing false witness!

David in NJ

Jul 20, 2021
Denville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

i am speaking AGAINST adding the old covenant law

the Righteousness of God is only in JESUS CHRIST

Reactions: Zao is life

BlessedPeace

Aug 22, 2023
Bend
akiane.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Can't tell you how wrong your line of reasoning is!

Scripture makes it clear the law (Mosaic Law) could never make on righteous or save a single soul.

Sin derives its strength from the law law (Mosaic Law)

The bible also makes clear we are no longer under the Mosaic Law.

Lying cheatin stealing etc. are still sins but not because of the Mosaic Law but the Law of christ!
Phew,good thing the Sabbath is not the Mosaic law.