Why its important to keep the Sabbath

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Phoneman777

Jan 14, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well He certainly did the first time but those tablets were smashed and and He never called the ten summaries in Chapter 20 commandments.
Exodus 34:1 KJV
[1] And the Lord said unto Moses, Hew thee two tables of stone like unto the first: and I will write upon these tables the words that were in the first tables, which thou brakest.

See, God wrote the same Ten COMMANDMENTS on the second set of tables - not Moses.

1stCenturyLady

Jun 26, 2018
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We work and take care of what gives us physical substance to stay alive, but God knows that man also needs the spiritual. If all we did was work we would soon waste away in exhaustion of mind and body with no thoughts of our Creator whom we owe our existence or His love for us, to say nothing of His plan of redemption. The Sabbath is important, as in God's final warning messages to the world we find a call to worship the Creator.
Revelation 14:6-7
6 And I saw another angel fly in the midst of heaven, having the everlasting gospel to preach unto them that dwell on the earth, and to every nation, and kindred, and tongue, and people, 7 Saying with a loud voice, Fear God, and give glory to him; for the hour of his judgment is come: and worship him that made heaven, and earth, and the sea, and the fountains of waters.

The call to worship in Revelation 14:7 brings us back to the Sabbath Commandment which God set aside specifically for holy purposes:
Exodus 20:8-11
8 Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy.
9 Six days shalt thou labour, and do all thy work:
10 But the seventh day is the sabbath of the Lord thy God: in it thou shalt not do any work, thou, nor thy son, nor thy daughter, thy manservant, nor thy maidservant, nor thy cattle, nor thy stranger that is within thy gates:
11 For in six days the Lord made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them is, and rested the seventh day: wherefore the Lord blessed the sabbath day, and hallowed it.

Throughout the scriptures we can see an emphasis on the recognition of the Creator.
Revelation 4:11
Thou art worthy, O Lord, to receive glory and honour and power: for thou hast created all things, and for thy pleasure they are and were created.

Nehemiah 9:6
Thou, even thou, art Lord alone; thou hast made heaven, the heaven of heavens, with all their host, the earth, and all things that are therein, the seas, and all that is therein, and thou preservest them all; and the host of heaven worshippeth thee.

Psalm 33:6
By the word of the Lord were the heavens made; and all the host of them by the breath of his mouth.

Psalm 96:4-5
4 For the Lord is great, and greatly to be praised: he is to be feared above all gods.
5 For all the gods of the nations are idols: but the Lord made the heavens.

Psalm 121:1-2
1 I will lift up mine eyes unto the hills, from whence cometh my help.
2 My help cometh from the Lord, which made heaven and earth.

Isaiah 45:18
For thus saith the Lord that created the heavens; God himself that formed the earth and made it; he hath established it, he created it not in vain, he formed it to be inhabited: I am the Lord; and there is none else.

Acts 4:24
And when they heard that, they lifted up their voice to God with one accord, and said, Lord, thou art God, which hast made heaven, and earth, and the sea, and all that in them is:

By keeping the Sabbath holy, as He commanded us, we show our love for Him and give recognition of His authority in our life.
1 John 5:1-3
1Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: and every one that loveth him that begat loveth him also that is begotten of him.2 By this we know that we love the children of God, when we love God, and keep his commandments. 3 For this is the love of God, that we keep his commandments: and his commandments are not grievous.

All the other commandments we can pretend to follow, but the importance of the Sabbath stands out, it is a sign, the standard of God. When he draws his battle line, the true believers put on the armor and choose God, the deceived put on the "traditions" of men and the false doctrines of the rebel who raises his banner of his 'authority'.

The Sabbath cannot be hidden under a bushel, you can hide your idols, swear against God out of hearing of others and love other gods such as sex, money, fame... and no one would know. But like Daniel praying at his window for all to see the Sabbath is a clear display of our love for God when we worship him. Its important...
Romans 7:5-6
5 For when we were in the flesh, the sinful passions which were aroused by the law were at work in our members to bear fruit to death. 6 But now we have been delivered from the law, having died to what we were held by, so that we should serve in the newness of the Spirit and not in the oldness of the letter.

Do you know how we are to keep God's rest by the Spirit?

Reactions: David in NJ

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Exodus 34:1 KJV
[1] And the Lord said unto Moses, Hew thee two tables of stone like unto the first: and I will write upon these tables the words that were in the first tables, which thou brakest.

See, God wrote the same Ten COMMANDMENTS on the second set of tables - not Moses.

Exodus 34
27 Then the Lord said to Moses, “Write down these words, for in accordance with these words I have made a covenant with you and with Israel.” 28 Moses was there with the Lord forty days and forty nights without eating bread or drinking water. And he wrote on the tablets the words of the covenant—the Ten Commandments.

Phoneman777

Jan 14, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Exodus 34
27 Then the Lord said to Moses, “Write down these words, for in accordance with these words I have made a covenant with you and with Israel.” 28 Moses was there with the Lord forty days and forty nights without eating bread or drinking water. And he wrote on the tablets the words of the covenant—the Ten Commandments.
”He” referring to God - just as verse 1 tells you.

Are you really trying to build a doctrine on your misapplication of a pronoun? If so, yours is positively the best example of bigoted hermeneutics and your presence severely impacts the collective IQ of this forum.

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
”He” referring to God - just as verse 1 tells you.

Are you really trying to build a doctrine on your misapplication of a pronoun? If so, yours is positively the best example of bigoted hermeneutics and your presence severely impacts the collective IQ of this forum.

Exodus 34

God told Moses… Obey what I command you today. V11 Then He told Moses Write down these words….Why? God said to Moses for in accordance with these words I have made a covenant with you and with Israel.” V27 So Moses obeyed God And he wrote on the tablets the words of the covenant—the Ten Commandments. V28

The words of the covenant are the Ten Commandment in Exodus 34. For in accordance with these words God made a covenant with Moses and Israel.

These are the covenant laws and these were placed in the ark. 21 Place the cover on top of the ark and put in the ark the tablets of the covenant law that I will give you. Exodus 25:21

God did not refer to the ten summaries of laws in Chapter 20 covenant Law. He did not say they were the words He made the covenant and he did not call the ten summaries in chapter 20 as the Ten Commandments.

Last edited:

Hobie

Jun 11, 2009
South Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Like keeping the law that cannot save you..........................Hebrews 4:1-5

Therefore, since a promise remains of entering His rest, let us fear lest any of you seem to have come short of it.
For indeed the gospel was preached to us as well as to them; but the word which they heard did not profit them, not being mixed with faith in those who heard it. For we who have believed do enter that rest,
as He has said:

“So I swore in My wrath,
‘They shall not enter My rest,’ ”
although the works were finished from the foundation of the world. For He has spoken in a certain place of the seventh day in this way: “And God rested on the seventh day from all His works”;
and again in this place: “They shall not enter My rest.”
Yes. but does breaking it show your love for God and bring life, or death as it's wages...

David in NJ

Jul 20, 2021
Denville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes. but does breaking it show your love for God and bring life, or death as it's wages...

YES, by Faith in the Son of God we break FREE from the old law.

For as many as are of the works of the law are under the curse; for it is written, “Cursed is everyone who does not continue in all things which are written in the book of the law, to do them.”
But that no one is justified by the law in the sight of God is evident, for “the just shall live by faith.”
Yet the law is not of faith, but “the man who does them shall live by them.”

We move FORWARD in the LAW of CHRIST = "If you love ME keep MY commandments" = Matthew 9:16

No one puts a piece of unshrunk cloth on an old garment; for the patch pulls away from the garment, and the tear is made worse. Nor do they put new wine into old wineskins, or else the wineskins break, the wine is spilled, and the wineskins are ruined. But they put new wine into new wineskins, and both are preserved.

Phoneman777

Jan 14, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Exodus 34

God told Moses… Obey what I command you today. V11 Then He told Moses Write down these words….Why? God said to Moses for in accordance with these words I have made a covenant with you and with Israel.” V27 So Moses obeyed God And he wrote on the tablets the words of the covenant—the Ten Commandments. V28

The words of the covenant are the Ten Commandment in Exodus 34. For in accordance with these words God made a covenant with Moses and Israel.

These are the covenant laws and these were placed in the ark. 21 Place the cover on top of the ark and put in the ark the tablets of the covenant law that I will give you. Exodus 25:21

God did not refer to the ten summaries of laws in Chapter 20 covenant Law. He did not say they were the words He made the covenant and he did not call the ten summaries in chapter 20 as the Ten Commandments.
"He wrote" in Exodus 34:28 refers to the LORD as proved by Exodus 34:1 and Deuteronomy 10:2.

"Write thou these words..." in Exodus 34:27 refers to ceremonial/judicial instructions given for Moses to write down in what would become the Mosaic Law written "in a book".

As in the case with all "sensationalist pseudo-scholarship" - your wild claim that Moses wrote on the second set of stone tablets is based on subjectively misapplied pronouns and willfully ignored testimony of both God and Moses as to Who would write/wrote on them in your attempt to establish support for Antinomian nonsense.

Phoneman777

Jan 14, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
YES, by Faith in the Son of God we break FREE from the old law.
All you and Grailhunter and the rest of the Antinomian crowd need do to convince us that Christians are indeed free from the "old law" that says "thou shalt have no other gods before Me" is simply publicly state we may worship Satan. It's really that simple.

(The reason you all refuse to say it is because you know full well you don't really believe we're free, but you have no choice to continue to insist we are to get around keeping the weekly Sabbath holy as specified.)

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
"He wrote" in Exodus 34:28 refers to the LORD as proved by Exodus 34:1 and Deuteronomy 10:2.

"Write thou these words..." in Exodus 34:27 refers to ceremonial/judicial instructions given for Moses to write down in what would become the Mosaic Law written "in a book".

As in the case with all "sensationalist pseudo-scholarship" - your wild claim that Moses wrote on the second set of stone tablets is based on subjectively misapplied pronouns and willfully ignored testimony of both God and Moses as to Who would write/wrote on them in your attempt to establish support for Antinomian nonsense.

Your thinking is hilarious but I do not have anymore time for silliness.
Religious beliefs by popular opinion does not produce truth.
End of conversation.

David in NJ

Jul 20, 2021
Denville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
All you and Grailhunter and the rest of the Antinomian crowd need do to convince us that Christians are indeed free from the "old law" that says "thou shalt have no other gods before Me" is simply publicly state we may worship Satan. It's really that simple.

(The reason you all refuse to say it is because you know full well you don't really believe we're free, but you have no choice to continue to insist we are to get around keeping the weekly Sabbath holy as specified.)
The TEN Commandments are within CHRIST = ":If you love ME keep MY commandments"

Worshipping saturday sabbath is placing an idol before GOD.

Therefore, since a promise remains of entering His rest, let us fear lest any of you seem to have come short of it. For indeed the gospel was preached to us as well as to them; but the word which they heard did not profit them, not being mixed with faith in those who heard it. For we who have believed do enter that rest, as He has said:

“So I swore in My wrath,

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
“And the Lord said to me: ‘What they have spoken is good. I will raise up for them a Prophet like you from among their brethren, and will put My words in His mouth, and He shall speak to them all that I command Him."

"Had you believed MOSES you would have believed ME , for he wrote of ME ."

Well now, i believe the CASE of who we are to obey has been VERIFIED by Moses and the LORD Jesus Christ.

Now where is that commandment from the Lord Jesus Christ to keep the Sabbath Rest???

OK, i found it - here it is:
"Come to Me, all you who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.
Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For My yoke is easy and My burden is light.”
COME UNTO ME .
you actually quoated the truth . but jesus was not speaking about the sixth day , but of HIMSELF .
come ye unto ME . that is where and IN WHO we will find our rest .
this might seem hard to beleive but ellen got it wrong in hebrews chapter four about the rest .
YOU SEE she was already teaching invesitgative judgment .
as far as investigative judgment goes
YOU DO KNOW WHY she believed and taught this .
YOU SEE she had to convince herself that her date setting man was OF GOD
and could not have been decieved and that JESUS HAD COME
and thus she found within her mind an excuse to do so . THEY TAUGHT oh it was the place that was mistaken .
DO you want to truly know what both miller and they should have done .
SIMPLY REPENTED OF THEIR ERROR , not to have tried to find a wayto JUSTIFY it .
You know i have zero problems with a man doing church on the sabbath . not at all .
BUT I SURE GOT A PROBLEM with INVESTIGATIVE JUDGMENT . AND YOU SHOULD TOO .

Phoneman777

Jan 14, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Your thinking is hilarious but I do not have anymore time for silliness.
Religious beliefs by popular opinion does not produce truth.
End of conversation.
Yes, take the "L" and go away. Misplaced pronouns and refusal to believe the words of Moses or the Lord is not a good method of interpreting Scripture.

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The TEN Commandments are within CHRIST = ":If you love ME keep MY commandments"

Worshipping saturday sabbath is placing an idol before GOD.

Therefore, since a promise remains of entering His rest, let us fear lest any of you seem to have come short of it. For indeed the gospel was preached to us as well as to them; but the word which they heard did not profit them, not being mixed with faith in those who heard it. For we who have believed do enter that rest, as He has said:

“So I swore in My wrath,

Romancing the tablets? Again there is nothing lacking in morality or spirit of the New Testament that would justify looking to the Old Testament for anything. The most important lesson we can learn from the Old Testament is what not to do and what relationship with God we do not want. How they applied the spirit, the heart, the morality was all wrong. A culture of cruelty and hard heartedness is what the writings in the Old Testament produced.

What not to do! That is the reason that Christians should know the Old Testament backwards and forwards as well as the Mosaic Laws because that study will prove the superiority of the spirit and morals of New Covenant.

As they say the proof is in the pudding. The Quran has great wisdom sayings….but what kind of culture did it produce? If the New Testament produced a culture like the Jews or Muslims, Christ would have died for nothing.

And there is no reason for me to comment on the Ten Commandments because you are probably not referring to the actual Ten Commandments in Exodus 34.

David in NJ

Jul 20, 2021
Denville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Romancing the tablets? Again there is nothing lacking in morality or spirit of the New Testament that would justify looking to the Old Testament for anything. The most important lesson we can learn from the Old Testament is what not to do and what relationship with God we do not want. How they applied the spirit, the heart, the morality was all wrong. A culture of cruelty and hard heartedness is what the writings in the Old Testament produced.

What not to do! That is the reason that Christians should know the Old Testament backwards and forwards as well as the Mosaic Laws because that study will prove the superiority of the spirit and morals of New Covenant.

As they say the proof is in the pudding. The Quran has great wisdom sayings….but what kind of culture did it produce? If the New Testament produced a culture like the Jews or Muslims, Christ would have died for nothing.

And there is no reason for me to comment on the Ten Commandments because you are probably not referring to the actual Ten Commandments in Exodus 34.

This is what you and the SDA group are not SEEING = Psalm 40

Sacrifice and offering You did not desire;
My ears You have opened.
Burnt offering and sin offering You did not require.
Then I said, “Behold, I come;
In the scroll of the book it is written of me.
I delight to do Your will, O my God,
And Your law is within my heart.”

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This is what you and the SDA group are not SEEING = Psalm 40

Sacrifice and offering You did not desire;
My ears You have opened.
Burnt offering and sin offering You did not require.
Then I said, “Behold, I come;
In the scroll of the book it is written of me.
I delight to do Your will, O my God,
And Your law is within my heart.”

First off I know the Bible backwards and forwards at the language level.
Secondly what you present here is Old Testament….so what do you think it means?

David in NJ

Jul 20, 2021
Denville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So you do not know what it means?
“Do not think that I came to destroy the Law or the Prophets. I did not come to destroy but to fulfill. For assuredly, I say to you, till heaven and earth pass away, one jot or one tittle will by no means pass from the law till all is fulfilled. Whoever therefore breaks one of the least of these commandments, and teaches men so, shall be called least in the kingdom of heaven; but whoever does and teaches them, he shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven. For I say to you, that unless your righteousness exceeds the righteousness of the scribes and Pharisees, you will by no means enter the kingdom of heaven.