Why its important to keep the Sabbath

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
“Do not think that I came to destroy the Law or the Prophets. I did not come to destroy but to fulfill. For assuredly, I say to you, till heaven and earth pass away, one jot or one tittle will by no means pass from the law till all is fulfilled. Whoever therefore breaks one of the least of these commandments, and teaches men so, shall be called least in the kingdom of heaven; but whoever does and teaches them, he shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven. For I say to you, that unless your righteousness exceeds the righteousness of the scribes and Pharisees, you will by no means enter the kingdom of heaven.

That is funny!!!
With that style of scriptural interpretation you can pretty much make anything say anything.

Psalm 40:6-8 does not define a real meaning unless you take it in context with the rest of Psalm 40
So here a few commentaries on Psalm 40

David in NJ

Jul 20, 2021
Denville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That is funny!!!
With that style of scriptural interpretation you can pretty much make anything say anything.

Psalm 40:6-8 does not define a real meaning unless you take it in context with the rest of Psalm 40
So here a few commentaries on Psalm 40

i do not follow commentaries.

Phoneman777

Jan 14, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This is what you and the SDA group are not SEEING = Psalm 40

Sacrifice and offering You did not desire;
My ears You have opened.
Burnt offering and sin offering You did not require.
Then I said, “Behold, I come;
In the scroll of the book it is written of me.
I delight to do Your will, O my God,
And Your law is within my heart.”
If the law is in your heart, why aren't you keeping the seventh day Sabbath holy instead of preaching against it, defiling it, and leading others to do the same?

Phoneman777

Jan 14, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
“Do not think that I came to destroy the Law or the Prophets. I did not come to destroy but to fulfill. For assuredly, I say to you, till heaven and earth pass away, one jot or one tittle will by no means pass from the law till all is fulfilled. Whoever therefore breaks one of the least of these commandments, and teaches men so, shall be called least in the kingdom of heaven; but whoever does and teaches them, he shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven. For I say to you, that unless your righteousness exceeds the righteousness of the scribes and Pharisees, you will by no means enter the kingdom of heaven.
This is GREAT! The guy who thinks he's keeping the Sabbath harder than the rest of us is lecturing the guy who refuses to keep the Sabbath at all :D

David in NJ

Jul 20, 2021
Denville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If the law is in your heart, why aren't you keeping the seventh day Sabbath holy instead of preaching against it, defiling it, and leading others to do the same?
Therefore, since a promise remains of entering His rest, let us fear lest any of you seem to have come short of it.
For indeed the gospel was preached to us as well as to them; but the word which they heard did not profit them,
not being mixed with faith in those who heard it.
For we who have believed do enter that rest, as He has said:

“So I swore in My wrath,
‘They shall not enter My rest,’ ”

David in NJ

Jul 20, 2021
Denville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This is GREAT! The guy who thinks he's keeping the Sabbath harder than the rest of us is lecturing the guy who refuses to keep the Sabbath at all :D
@Phoneman777 @BarneyFife @Brakelite like to think that they are keeping the sabbath when in fact they have sold out to religion.

Therefore, since a promise remains of entering His rest, let us fear lest any of you seem to have come short of it. For indeed the gospel was preached to us as well as to them; but the word which they heard did not profit them, not being mixed with faith in those who heard it. 3For we who have believed do enter that rest, as He has said:

“So I swore in My wrath,
‘They shall not enter My rest,’ ”

David in NJ

Jul 20, 2021
Denville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Having fun, Dave? Christ and recording angels are watching your scoffing.

My Brother Barney,

Last time i checked in with you , you were scoffing at Hebrews and Colossians and Genesis

The Son is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn over all creation. 16For in Him all things were created, things in heaven and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or dominions or rulers or authorities. All things were created through Him and for Him.

17He is before all things, and in Him all things hold together. 18And He is the head of the body, the church; He is the beginning and firstborn from among the dead, so that in all things He may have preeminence. 19For God was pleased to have all His fullness dwell in Him, 20and through Him to reconcile to Himself all things, whether things on earth or things in heaven, by making peace through the blood of His cross.

SDA commits the same error as as RCC

RCC follows the Pope
SDA follows Ellen G White

i follow the WORD that was God in the Beginning, the same WORD that became flesh and dwelt among us.........

David in NJ

Jul 20, 2021
Denville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@BarneyFife @Brakelite @Phoneman777

ALWAYS keep in your heart and mind that i BELIEVE it is GOOD that you gather for fellowship on Saturday.

Many many people who love the LORD Jesus Christ and are FULLY His have jobs that require work on saturday and sunday.

Will God reject them when they die and leave this earth?

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Last time i checked in with you , you were scoffing at Hebrews and Colossians.

Typical "I know you are but what am I" sandbox talk

Now, why would I scoff at Hebrews and Colossians, Dave?

Maybe at your Mexican Jumping Bean, "Holy Spirit hermeneutics," but never at Scripture itself.

I never accused you of scoffing directly at Scripture.

You're out of control.

I take you off my ignore list for 15 minutes and I can already feel my cortisol levels and blood pressure rising.

And since I see you're still blowing up my notifications with your antagonistic tagging...

Bye-bye, Dave.
sign0203.gif

• Sad
Reactions: David in NJ

David in NJ

Jul 20, 2021
Denville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Maybe at your Mexican Jumping Bean, "Holy Spirit hermeneutics," but never at Scripture itself.

You're out of control.

I take you off my ignore list for 15 minutes and I can already feel my cortisol levels and blood pressure rising.

And since I see you're still blowing up my notifications with your antagonistic tagging...

Bye-bye, Dave.
sign0203.gif

antagonistic ???

Hermeneutics are subject to Scripture and not vice versa.

God's words are written for children = Luke 10:21

Truth only comes from the FATHER / SON / HOLY SPIRIT

Ziggy

Oct 19, 2020
Maine, USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Zig, forgive me, but you seem to be intent on claiming that the Sabbath day is anything and everything except what it actually is.

There's not a word in this post that says Jesus is God's Sabbath until the end—where you simply declare that He is.

I don't understand it. I just don't understand it.

When I was a kid my Southern Baptist grandmother would allow no unnecessary work to be done on her large property on Sunday.

Even today, in almost any town in America with a population of a few hundred or more you can walk outside (if you even have to) at some point on a Sunday morning and hear church bells ringing.

Most people with jobs go to work on Monday morning with a different feeling than they have on any other day.

The reason all this happens is because God said: "Remember the Sabbath day to keep it holy."

He was referring to the weekly cycle He established in Genesis 1 & 2—He even says so.

Now the argument has gone from "Saturday vs. Sunday" to "Let's just ignore it and maybe it'll go away."

Jesus is not our Sabbath day. He is our Lord and Saviour.

And the Sabbath day that He mad for man to meet Him in a focused and devoted way is being called by many an idol instead of "a delight, The holy day of the Lord honorable," as "The mouth of the Lord has spoken" (Isaiah 58:13).

Hugs
:hearteyes:
Hi Barney.

God said to listen to his son. His son is Jesus Christ whom he put in charge of EVERYTHING including the seventh day.
Jesus said that HE is the Lord of the Sabbath and we need to follow him and HE will give us rest.

Jesus doesn't say WHAT DAY we should seek this rest, except he does say that HE is the rest we seek.
Jesus owns the Day.
This day was created for Him to rest in.
He said he was going home to prepare a place for us, so that where he is we may be also.
He also said, Lo, I am with you always.
Jhn 14:27
Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you: not as the world giveth, give I unto you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid.
And we are invited to enter into the rest he created for those who believe in him.
And when is that?
Why, it is To DAY.

This is not a rest from the physical carnal earthly daily grind at the 7-11 or a rocket scientist.
This is an internal peace. That no matter what happens in the world, we KNOW God is in control.
We have to work to earn money to buy food and housing, of course, nothing in this world is free.
But on the other side of this veil, thats thicker than a brick, I guess, is an internal knowing, a calmness, peace, that the world can not experience because they have no faith.
This is that DAY that God created for himself to rest in. This Day belongs to Jesus.
So when you enter into the Sabbath Day, you are entering into God's presence, because that is where God is.

The Sabbath Day is the Kingdom of God that God told Israel to REMEMBER.
And they should have known by the prophecies of the coming Kingdom that a time of rest was coming.
This is where we enter into the promised land. It's not a physical carnal earthy kind of land, it's more cloudy.

Example: The world is in absolute chaos. There's panic in the air, and mental illness is RAMPANT.
We have all kinds of interesting plates spinning on sticks at the moment and the world is ON FIRE.

It's ok though. It's disturbing and heartbreaking, but I'm not a part of that chaos, I'm not panicking.
I'm not adding to the frenzy and madness happening in the world.
I'm outside of it, looking in.
I understand somethings have to run their course, no matter how crazy, like a flood engulfing the world, or fire falling from heaven may sound. It is what it is.
But my spirit is peaceful, calm, reassured that God has this.
He knows what he's doing.

Now this rest, this peace, from not having to be part of the problem and doing whatever the world says is ok to do. That's not working out very well as we see. I can watch and observe, witness and mourn the catastrophies that are happening.
But I don't feel compelled to join in. I don't fit into the "everybody's doing it" kind of frame the world wants us pictured in.
I was a part of that world once a long time ago. I just don't even have the desire to participate.

Israel was told to seek that day, remember the Sabbath Day, and every seventh day God reminded THEM.
He had to keep reminding them for forty years and still they kept on wandering off to find other gods to lead them.
They worshipped the day that was created for them to rest in, rather then the One that actually created the day to begin with.

Christians don't have a "marker" to remember what day is the Sabbath Day, because everyday we are in God's presence.
The gates are never closed and the light is always on and the candles are always burning and the oil is always flowing.

It's a KNOWING. Not a doing.

Jhn 17:3
And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent.

I understand the OT says do it that way and the NT says do it this way. That's a hurdle that needs to be jumped. I think they call it a leap of faith. There's a lot of things in the OT that belong in the OT that didn't get carried over to the NT. And a lot of things from the OT went through a transition stage from physical to spiritual observances. Meaning they were fulfilled to the letter.

When Christ came a new day began. All things became new. We are in a reset. But we're wasting this time of Grace.
Before Moses there was no LAW to keep it, because everyone recorded in the OT obviously walked with God who led them from Noah to Abraham to Isaac to Jacob. They were already walking in God's presence while he led them without a written law, but by the words of his mouth.
When Israel was in the wilderness they didn't want to listen to God. Not like Abraham, Isaac and Jacob had listened. They had to have it embedded in their memory through fear of not keeping it. It was physical law for a physical world for men with carnal minds.
They already had God in their presence the moment God remembered his people. (Do you think he forgot? )
Exo 2:24
And God heard their groaning, and God remembered his covenant with Abraham, with Isaac, and with Jacob.
Exo 6:5
And I have also heard the groaning of the children of Israel, whom the Egyptians keep in bondage; and I have remembered my covenant.

The covenant God made with Abrahm, Isaac and Jacob were verbal agreements. There was no law written in stone to remind them to remember.
God remembered the covenant with Abraham. That covenant still exists today. But the covenant God made with Israel, they broke it. God anulled it. He hung it on the cross. Those days are over and a new day has begun.
Christians covenant is with Jesus Christ not Moses anymore. The Kingdom has a new King. With more enhanced and spiritually applicable commandments.
The Sabbath instead of it being observed for one day of the week is now a way of life.

You take days off from work, that's good your body needs it, your mind needs it. Everybody needs a day to catch up and rest from this crazy madd world we live in. But even though you have to interact with it daily, there is also an inner peace that keeps you seperate from the turmoil the world is in. This is the rest we seek and this is the rest that is promised to us by Jesus Christ.
The Lord of the Sabbath.

Hugs

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jesus doesn't say WHAT DAY we should seek this rest, except he does say that HE is the rest we seek.

He says it here, Zig:

Reactions: Brakelite

Ziggy

Oct 19, 2020
Maine, USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
He says it here, Zig:

You see it say Exodus. That is the covenant God made with Israel in the wilderness when God freed them from Egypt.
And they was a very stubborn people who chose not to follow God and went seeking after other God's.
Their heart just wasn't in it.
It became a means of control. Keep it or die. I don't believe God had that intention in mind when he gave it to them.
A gift is a gift, you can either accept it or not. A law on the other hand is not optional. Either you keep it or you will be punished.
So is the Sabbath a gift God gave to man or is it a law where man has no choice to take it or leave it?

hugs

David in NJ

Jul 20, 2021
Denville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

You're out of control.

Bye-bye, Dave.
sign0203.gif

Barney,

The LORD wants you to KNOW that HE is ABOVE all things and all things of God are in Christ.

His REST is Eternal and cannot be gathered/found or observed in a earthly day of the week.

Peace my Brother

David in NJ

Jul 20, 2021
Denville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
One of these things is not like the other.

Barney,

Observing the saturday sabbath as a 'requirement' and attaching it to Christ is contrary to the FINISHED Work of God that HE accomplished for us when HE went to the Cross for our sins.

Salvation is in CHRIST alone and HE is the very ESSENCE of the 7th Day of Rest.

Saturday sabbath then becomes a method unto itself which is outward and has the appearance of service to God.
Afterall, did not God say in Genesis that HE rested from His works and blessed and sanctified the seventh day?

God, knowing ALL things, went even further upon this 'rest' and codified this 'rest' into His law.

And the Lord spoke to Moses, saying, 13“Speak also to the children of Israel, saying: ‘Surely My Sabbaths you shall keep, for it is a sign between Me and you throughout your generations, that you may know that I am the Lord who sanctifies you. 14You shall keep the Sabbath, therefore, for it is holy to you. Everyone who profanes it shall surely be put to death; for whoever does any work on it, that person shall be cut off from among his people. 15Work shall be done for six days, but the seventh is the Sabbath of rest, holy to the Lord. Whoever does any work on the Sabbath day, he shall surely be put to death. 16Therefore the children of Israel shall keep the Sabbath, to observe the Sabbath throughout their generations as a perpetual covenant. 17It is a sign between Me and the children of Israel forever; for in six days the Lord made the heavens and the earth, and on the seventh day He rested and was refreshed.’ ”

This weekly saturday rest was ingrained in the hearts and minds of Israel for thousands of years.

However it could never make the participants 'complete' before God just as the animal sacrifices could never purify us from sin.

So what was/is the Intent and the Purpose of the seventh day being made so 'holy' that if anyone did any work on it, God commands them to be put to death?

Peace and REST in Christ my Brother for "one of these is not like the other"