Why its important to keep the Sabbath

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Hobie

Jun 11, 2009
South Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Since this is clearly addressed to me, please let me make it clear, as I have in all my posts on this topic….
There is no command against observing a day of rest out of our weekly schedule, especially if it is to focus on spiritual things for that one day….in fact we know that our minds and bodies need rest to rejuvenate themselves…which is why we spend half our life sleeping…

The issue is what SDA’s claim even in their name…..the very foundation of your beliefs is right there as those who promote Sabbath observance as their primary focus. But if there is no evidence of a Sabbath observance before Moses was given God’s law, (no command given to Adam, or Noah or Elijah or even Abraham) what then is the basis for your adherence to a law given only to Israel?
Well Aunty, when the Creator makes the day for you, and blesses and makes it holy and sets it aside, shouldnt it be a even a smidgen of importance for you......

Jack

May 3, 2022
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'm just picking at your penchant for drive-by short bursts. But you can play the martyr card if it makes you happy. :p

:hearteyes:
And I will keep defending the Christian Bible that totally upsets 'Christians'. ZERO Sabbath COMMANDS in the New Covenant!

Colossians 2:16
16 So let no one judge you in food or in drink, or regarding a festival or a new moon or sabbaths,

Amen Jesus! I won't!

• Love
Reactions: BarneyFife

GerhardEbersoehn

Jan 14, 2014
Johannesburg
www.biblestudents.co.za
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
The Jack Asserted:
<I will keep defending the Christian Bible that totally upsets 'Christians'. ZERO Sabbath COMMANDS in the New Covenant! Colossians 2:16 So let no one judge you in food or in drink, or regarding a festival or a new moon or sabbaths, Amen Jesus! I won't!>. . . just lying in his ignorant innocence of course. . . because if only he knew what Colossians 2:16 really says.

Jack

May 3, 2022
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Jack Asserted:
<I will keep defending the Christian Bible that totally upsets 'Christians'. ZERO Sabbath COMMANDS in the New Covenant! Colossians 2:16 So let no one judge you in food or in drink, or regarding a festival or a new moon or sabbaths, Amen Jesus! I won't!>. . . just lying in his ignorant innocence of course. . . because if only he knew what Colossians 2:16 really says.
It means exactly what it says. Ain't no Sabbath COMMANDS in the New Covenant. If you had one you would have quoted it. Ain't NONE!

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You still have to come up with one post showing that you found SOMETHING that is in the Bible. So far you have only shown NOTHING that you found that is in the Bible.

Nothing works!!!….that is the point….your plucking your beliefs out of thin air..... That is the big nothing.

There is nothing there! There are no words in the New Testament about a requirement to observe the Jewish Saturday Sabbath.

The ruling at the council in Jerusalem did not even give a suggestion of observing the Saturday Sabbath.

It seemed good to the Holy Spirit and to us not to burden you with anything beyond the following requirements: You are to abstain from food sacrificed to idols, from blood, from the meat of strangled animals and from sexual immorality. You will do well to avoid these things. Acts 15:28-29 Yep the word is anything….

Reactions: Jack

GerhardEbersoehn

Jan 14, 2014
Johannesburg
www.biblestudents.co.za
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
The ruling at the council in Jerusalem did not even give a suggestion of observing the Saturday Sabbath.

Exactly, not as a command! Who needs 'suggestions' while the <ruling> of the Church, its leaders, members, and opponents HAD THE SCRIPTURES - MOSES - BEING READ IN THE CHURCHES THE WORLD OVER EVERY SABBATH DAY? A grail hunter you must be, for no real hunter would take his trophy, a venomous snake, with him to bed. How crazy then to take an empty slop-bucket to bed with him, unless for embarrassing inconveniences.

Duck Muscles

Mar 19, 2024
Europe
Faith
Christian
Country
Denmark
I think if the Sabbath is of import to the individual, then they have every right to its practice.

I think the argument that says keeping the Sabbath will not save us is of no merit. A Christian, being Christian, already knows what brings Salvation.
Therefore, the aforementioned implication is a red herring.

If we have a personal relationship with God the Almighty, what right do any of us have to judge a sister or brothers choice to find sanctuary and a place of peace one day a week ?

• Love
Reactions: BarneyFife

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Exactly, not as a command! Who needs 'suggestions' while the <ruling> of the Church, its leaders, members, and opponents HAD THE SCRIPTURES - MOSES - BEING READ IN THE CHURCHES THE WORLD OVER EVERY SABBATH DAY? A grail hunter you must be, for no real hunter would take his trophy, a venomous snake, with him to bed. How crazy then to take an empty slop-bucket to bed with him, unless for embarrassing inconveniences.

Not sure what you mean by slop-bucket, but the ruling of the council was by the Apostles and they had that authority.

“I will give you the keys of the kingdom of heaven; and whatever you bind on earth shall have been bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth shall have been loosed in heaven.” Matthew 16:19

“Truly I say to you, whatever you shall bind on earth shall be bound in heaven; and whatever you loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven.” Matthew 18:18

Duck Muscles

Mar 19, 2024
Europe
Faith
Christian
Country
Denmark
Not sure what you mean by slop-bucket, but the ruling of the council was by the Apostles and they had that authority.

“I will give you the keys of the kingdom of heaven; and whatever you bind on earth shall have been bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth shall have been loosed in heaven.” Matthew 16:19

“Truly I say to you, whatever you shall bind on earth shall be bound in heaven; and whatever you loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven.” Matthew 18:18
An odd turn of phrase, don't you think?
Binding something on earth would usually refer to something bad needing forced restraint.

That then shall be loosed in Heaven?

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
An odd turn of phrase, don't you think?
Binding something on earth would usually refer to something bad needing forced restraint.

That then shall be loosed in Heaven?

The Apostles were in charge of the Christian mission. If not they could not agree on anything. The Devine commissioning of Paul and the ministry to the Gentiles are good examples.

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
www.CheeseburgersWithGod.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We work and take care of what gives us physical substance to stay alive, but God knows that man also needs the spiritual. If all we did was work we would soon waste away in exhaustion of mind and body with no thoughts of our Creator whom we owe our existence or His love for us, to say nothing of His plan of redemption. The Sabbath is important, as in God's final warning messages to the world we find a call to worship the Creator.
Revelation 14:6-7
6 And I saw another angel fly in the midst of heaven, having the everlasting gospel to preach unto them that dwell on the earth, and to every nation, and kindred, and tongue, and people, 7 Saying with a loud voice, Fear God, and give glory to him; for the hour of his judgment is come: and worship him that made heaven, and earth, and the sea, and the fountains of waters.

The call to worship in Revelation 14:7 brings us back to the Sabbath Commandment which God set aside specifically for holy purposes:
Exodus 20:8-11
8 Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy.
9 Six days shalt thou labour, and do all thy work:
10 But the seventh day is the sabbath of the Lord thy God: in it thou shalt not do any work, thou, nor thy son, nor thy daughter, thy manservant, nor thy maidservant, nor thy cattle, nor thy stranger that is within thy gates:
11 For in six days the Lord made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them is, and rested the seventh day: wherefore the Lord blessed the sabbath day, and hallowed it.

Throughout the scriptures we can see an emphasis on the recognition of the Creator.
Revelation 4:11
Thou art worthy, O Lord, to receive glory and honour and power: for thou hast created all things, and for thy pleasure they are and were created.

Nehemiah 9:6
Thou, even thou, art Lord alone; thou hast made heaven, the heaven of heavens, with all their host, the earth, and all things that are therein, the seas, and all that is therein, and thou preservest them all; and the host of heaven worshippeth thee.

Psalm 33:6
By the word of the Lord were the heavens made; and all the host of them by the breath of his mouth.

Psalm 96:4-5
4 For the Lord is great, and greatly to be praised: he is to be feared above all gods.
5 For all the gods of the nations are idols: but the Lord made the heavens.

Psalm 121:1-2
1 I will lift up mine eyes unto the hills, from whence cometh my help.
2 My help cometh from the Lord, which made heaven and earth.

Isaiah 45:18
For thus saith the Lord that created the heavens; God himself that formed the earth and made it; he hath established it, he created it not in vain, he formed it to be inhabited: I am the Lord; and there is none else.

Acts 4:24
And when they heard that, they lifted up their voice to God with one accord, and said, Lord, thou art God, which hast made heaven, and earth, and the sea, and all that in them is:

By keeping the Sabbath holy, as He commanded us, we show our love for Him and give recognition of His authority in our life.
1 John 5:1-3
1Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: and every one that loveth him that begat loveth him also that is begotten of him.2 By this we know that we love the children of God, when we love God, and keep his commandments. 3 For this is the love of God, that we keep his commandments: and his commandments are not grievous.

All the other commandments we can pretend to follow, but the importance of the Sabbath stands out, it is a sign, the standard of God. When he draws his battle line, the true believers put on the armor and choose God, the deceived put on the "traditions" of men and the false doctrines of the rebel who raises his banner of his 'authority'.

The Sabbath cannot be hidden under a bushel, you can hide your idols, swear against God out of hearing of others and love other gods such as sex, money, fame... and no one would know. But like Daniel praying at his window for all to see the Sabbath is a clear display of our love for God when we worship him. Its important...

Your sentiments are good, but it would appear you yourself have made an idol of them, missing the point and the commandment.

What is the commandment?

Is it not rest--not of one day repeated in the life and times of men, but more importantly, God's rest? Surely, the commandment is not to keep practicing the practice, but to actually keep the commandment by entering into it. Is that not what God himself did, finishing the practice of works, to rest without works? Of course it is.

Is school never to be out? Have you not yet learned?

Therefore, no, do not continue to keep the practice--but actually keep the commandment to rest. For this reason, Christ came to say:

Woe to you lawyers! For you have taken away the key of knowledge. You did not enter in yourselves, and those who were entering in you hindered.Luke 11:52
Our rest is in Christ--He is the Lord of the Sabbath. It is He whom we are to keep, and He shall not be taken away.

Reactions: Ziggy

Duck Muscles

Mar 19, 2024
Europe
Faith
Christian
Country
Denmark
The Apostles were in charge of the Christian mission. If not they could not agree on anything. The Devine commissioning of Paul and the ministry to the Gentiles are good examples.
That doesn't address my observation. You merely repeated your prior post.

Ziggy

Oct 19, 2020
Maine, USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'm just going to put this here for now and let's all think about what is happening today.

Tomorrow is Easter Sunday. I'm not a "religious" person. I son't celebrate holidays. I acknowledge them for the true meaning behind them and what they represent. But I don't partake in the "ceremonies" , or the commerciality of them.

Now here in America, we have this administration running our country that is, in my opinion, truly DEMONIC.
Incase you haven't seen, President (cough cough) Joe Biden has designated Sunday March 31,2024, as Transgender visibility Day.
At the same time refusing Easter eggs art contests that have religious themes.

The Biden administration banned children from submitting Easter eggs with religious themes for its 2024 “Celebrating National Guard Families” art contest.
The competition, which is part of the White House’s annual Easter Egg Roll, explicitly stipulated that egg designs not feature any “religious symbols” on the Christian holiday.

Personally I don't care what they do. I don't follow the world and it's activities.

But this I will say...
Just prior before Moses was commanded to make a brazen serpent and raise it upon a pole, many people were dying because of vivious snakes biting them and poisoning them.
Just prior to Jesus' entrance into Jerusalem and his ministry, the country was infested with devils and Jesus and the disciples went about casting them out.
Today we have some interesting things cropping up in our midsts that want to lead us away from God.

I don't care what day you want to worship the Lord. I don't care How you worship the Lord.
The important thing to remember is God loves you. He died for you. And tomorrow begins a new day.
Today those snakes are running over the world with their satanic beliefs. Infecting the minds of our children and poisoning the culture of our Christian faith.

Tomorrow there may not be a Saturday or a Sunday or any day that we will be allowed to worship God.
The more people become disenfranchised and afraid to defend their beliefs, the darker the days will become.
Don't get caught up in the fog of war. We are in the midst of spiritual warfare and the winner gets the souls of man.

This is the day of reckoning.

Don't get caught up in the "festivities" of the seasons that the world offers you. Because tomorrow they will all be taken away.
But what will remain is what is in your heart and in your mind, and who you believe and who you trust.
And if that's not God, then you will fall with the world.

It's time to stop arguing.
This is bigger than we know.
They are trying to KILL God. Again. And the only way they can do that is if they make us forget Him.

If you are a Sabbath keeper, then keep it. Keep it in sincerity and truth. Keep it so you won't forget.
If you are a Sunday observer, then observe it. Observe it in sincerity and truth. Observe it so you won't forget.
TEACH YOUR CHILDREN, even if they think you're crazy. It's the only life raft they have.

There is a storm coming and it's going to be like the days of Noah. And many people will be swept away with the sins of the world.
They will fall prey and be consumed by the enemies of Christ.
Don't get bit. And if you do, keep your eyes on Jesus no matter what.

This is only the beginning of sorrows. There is still a ways to go before the end of this tunnel.

Stop arguing and build each other up. Put away the FOOLISHNESS, because we are facing serious times my friends.

It don't matter what denomination you are, where your from, where you been. What matters is that your faith is in God alone.
Look at your neighbor and tell them God loves them, tell them you love them, and there is nothing on this earth, no day, no month, no times, nor years, that can seperate us from the love of God and our love for each other.

IT'S ALL WE GOT PEOPLE. EACH OTHER.

I love you all. No matter what path your on. As long as that Path has God in it.
Never Forget.

Time to put away the foolishness and get serious. The snakes are biting and people's minds are being poisoned. Devils coming out in droves, and the pit of hell has been opened.
No day is going to save you. Only faith and hope in God will.

Hold the line. It's going to get rocky.
Keep building the ark and pray people get saved before the storm comes.
Remember that Noah's ark had both clean and unclean animals. Both Jews and Gentiles of all kinds and nations and tongues.
God don't care about your nationality, He cares about your heart.

Illusions and delussions are going to hit this planet like a ton of bricks. Propaganda is thicker than molasses. Lies everywhere.
Stay focused.

God Bless Us All
Hugs

• Love
Reactions: ScottA and Rita