Why its important to keep the Sabbath

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
AGAIN: Place them here. YOU CANNOT BECAUSE THERE AREN'T ANY - be informed!
Again: There never in the early Christian times - until the 4th and 5th centuries, and until now, have been any early Christian M.A.N.U.S.C.R.I.P.T. that 1. contained either 'saturday' or 'sunday' Greek or Latin; OR, 2. contained the Greek of Revelation 1:10 the PHRASE - two words - 'kyriakeh hehmera' -- ALWAYS it is JUST the one word 'kyriakeh', always as the "Lord's LIFE" presupposed with one exception in a pseudo - variant in Ignatius' Letter to the Magnesians where it says "the Lord's LIFE". AND, if ever the idea of 'day' might be plausible, the Sabbath Day is the more probable, not the First Day ---I am not including Latin documents from after 400CE, while in medieval writings, 'Sunday' could be exclusively mentioned or implied... I don't know.

How can you not know this...

The Didache

1. But every Lord’s day do ye gather yourselves together, and break bread, and give thanksgiving after having confessed your transgressions, that your sacrifice may be pure.
(Didache Chapter XIV.11 —Christian Assembly on the Lord’s Day. 14 [A.D. 70]).

The Letter of Barnabas 70 AD
Since, therefore, the days are evil, and Satan possesses the power of this world, we ought to give heed to ourselves, and diligently inquire into the ordinances of the Lord. Fear and patience, then, are helpers of our faith; and long-suffering and continence are things which fight on our side. While these remain pure in what respects the Lord, Wisdom, Understanding, Science, and Knowledge rejoice along with them. For He hath revealed to us by all the prophets that He needs neither sacrifices, nor burnt-offerings, nor oblations, saying thus, “What is the multitude of your sacrifices unto Me, saith the Lord? I am full of burnt-offerings, and desire not the fat of lambs, and the blood of bulls and goats, not when ye come to appear before Me: for who hath required these things at your hands? Tread no more My courts, not though ye bring with you fine flour. Incense is a vain abomination unto Me, and your new moons and sabbaths I cannot endure.” He has therefore abolished these things, that the new law of our Lord Jesus Christ, which is without the yoke of necessity, might have a human oblation(The Epistle of Barnabas 1 Chapter II.—The Jewish sacrifices are now abolished.)

Further, He says to them, “Your new moons and your Sabbath I cannot endure.” Ye perceive how He speaks: Your present Sabbaths are not acceptable to Me, but that is which I have made, [namely this,] when, giving rest to all things, I shall make a beginning of the eighth day, that is, a beginning of another world. Wherefore, also, we keep the eighth day with joyfulness, the day also on which Jesus rose again from the dead. And when He had manifested Himself, He ascended into the heavens.(The Epistle of Barnabas Chapter XV.—The false and the true Sabbath. [A.D. 74].

Ignatius of Antioch
If, therefore, those who were brought up in the ancient order of things have come to the possession of a new hope, no longer observing the Sabbath, but living in the observance of the Lord’s Day, on which also our life has sprung up again by Him and by His death—whom some deny, by which mystery we have obtained faith, and therefore endure, that we may be found the disciples of Jesus Christ, our only Master(Letter to the Magnesians(shorter) Chapter IX.—Let us live with Christ [A.D. 110].

During the Sabbath He continued under the earth in the tomb in which Joseph of Arimathæa had laid Him. At the dawning of the Lord’s day He arose from the dead, according to what was spoken by Himself, “As Jonah was three days and three nights in the whale’s belly, so shall the Son of man also be three days and three nights in the heart of the earth.” The day of the preparation, then, comprises the passion; the Sabbath embraces the burial; the Lord’s Day contains the resurrection(The Epistle of Ignatius to the Trallians Longer Versions. Chapter IX.—Reference to the history of Christ.)

Justin Martyr
And we afterwards continually remind each other of these things. And the wealthy among us help the needy; and we always keep together; and for all things wherewith we are supplied, we bless the Maker of all through His Son Jesus Christ, and through the Holy Ghost. And on the day called Sunday, all who live in cities or in the country gather together to one place, and the memoirs of the apostles or the writings of the prophets are read, as long as time permits; then, when the reader has ceased, the president verbally instructs, and exhorts to the imitation of these good things. Then we all rise together and pray, and, as we before said, when our prayer is ended, bread and wine and water are brought, and the president in like manner offers prayers and thanksgivings, according to his ability, and the people assent, saying Amen; and there is a distribution to each, and a participation of that over which thanks have been given, and to those who are absent a portion is sent by the deacons. And they who are well to do, and willing, give what each thinks fit; and what is collected is deposited with the president, who succours the orphans and widows and those who, through sickness or any other cause, are in want, and those who are in bonds and the strangers sojourning among us, and in a word takes care of all who are in need. But Sunday is the day on which we all hold our common assembly, because it is the first day on which God, having wrought a change in the darkness and matter, made the world; and Jesus Christ our Saviour on the same day rose from the dead. For He was crucified on the day before that of Saturn (Saturday); and on the day after that of Saturn, which is the day of the Sun, having appeared to His apostles and disciples, He taught them these things, which we have submitted to you also for your consideration.(First Apology Chapter LXVII.—Weekly worship of the Christians. [A.D. 155]).

“Wherefore, Trypho, I will proclaim to you, and to those who wish to become proselytes, the divine message which I heard from that man. Do you see that the elements are not idle, and keep no Sabbaths? Remain as you were born. For if there was no need of circumcision before Abraham, or of the observance of Sabbaths, of feasts and sacrifices, before Moses; no more need is there of them now, after that, according to the will of God, Jesus Christ the Son of God has been born without sin, of a virgin sprung from the stock of Abraham. For when Abraham himself was in uncircumcision, he was justified and blessed by reason of the faith which he reposed in God, as the Scripture tells. Moreover, the Scriptures and the facts themselves compel us to admit that He received circumcision for a sign, and not for righteousness.(The Second Apology of Justin for the Christians Addressed to the Roman Senate. Chapter XXIII.—The opinion of the Jews regarding the law does an injury to God.)

“As, then, circumcision began with Abraham, and the Sabbath and sacrifices and offerings and feasts with Moses, and it has been proved they were enjoined on account of the hardness of your people’s heart, so it was necessary, in accordance with the Father’s will, that they should have an end in Him who was born of a virgin, of the family of Abraham and tribe of Judah, and of David; in Christ the Son of God, who was proclaimed as about to come to all the world, to be the everlasting law and the everlasting covenant, even as the forementioned prophecies show.(The Second Apology of Justin for the Christians Addressed to the Roman Senate. Chapter XLIII.—He concludes that the law had an end in Christ, who was born of the Virgin.)

Continued.....

Last edited:

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Tertullian 160-240 AD
“[L]et him who contends that the Sabbath is still to be observed as a balm of salvation, and circumcision on the eighth day . . . teach us that, for the time past, righteous men kept the Sabbath or practiced circumcision, and were thus rendered ‘friends of God.’ For if circumcision purges a man, since God made Adam uncircumcised, why did he not circumcise him, even after his sinning, if circumcision purges? . . . Therefore, since God originated Adam uncircumcised and unobservant of the Sabbath, consequently his offspring also, Abel, offering him sacrifices, uncircumcised and unobservant of the Sabbath, was by him [God] commended [Gen. 4:1–7, Heb. 11:4]. . . . Noah also, uncircumcised—yes, and unobservant of the Sabbath—God freed from the deluge. For Enoch too, most righteous man, uncircumcised and unobservant of the Sabbath, he translated from this world, who did not first taste death in order that, being a candidate for eternal life, he might show us that we also may, without the burden of the law of Moses, please God”(An Answer to the Jews Chapter II.—The Law Anterior to Moses. [A.D. 203].

Tertullian
It follows, accordingly, that, in so far as the abolition of carnal circumcision and of the old law is demonstrated as having been consummated at its specific times, so also the observance of the Sabbath is demonstrated to have been temporary.For the Jews say, that from the beginning God sanctified the seventh day, by resting on it from all His works which He made; and that thence it was, likewise, that Moses said to the People: “Remember the day of the sabbaths, to sanctify it: every servile work ye shall not do therein, except what pertaineth unto life.” Whence we (Christians) understand that we still more ought to observe a sabbath from all “servile work” always, and not only every seventh day, but through all time. And through this arises the question for us, what sabbath God willed us to keep? For the Scriptures point to a sabbath eternal and a sabbath temporal. For Isaiah the prophet says, “Your sabbaths my soul hateth;” and in another place he says, “My sabbaths ye have profaned.” Whence we discern that the temporal sabbath is human, and the eternal sabbath is accounted divine; concerning which He predicts through Isaiah: “And there shall be,” He says, “month after month, and day after day, and sabbath after sabbath; and all flesh shall come to adore in Jerusalem, saith the Lord;” which we understand to have been fulfilled in the times of Christ, when “all flesh”—that is, every nation—“came to adore in Jerusalem” God the Father, through Jesus Christ His Son, as was predicted through the prophet: “Behold, proselytes through me shall go unto Thee.” Thus, therefore, before this temporal sabbath, there was withal an eternal sabbath foreshown and foretold; just as before the carnal circumcision there was withal a spiritual circumcision foreshown. In short, let them teach us, as we have already premised, that Adam observed the sabbath; or that Abel, when offering to God a holy victim, pleased Him by a religious reverence for the sabbath; or that Enoch, when translated, had been a keeper of the sabbath; or that Noah the ark-builder observed, on account of the deluge, an immense sabbath; or that Abraham, in observance of the sabbath, offered Isaac his son; or that Melchizedek in his priesthood received the law of the Sabbath. (An Answer to the Jews Chapter IV.—Of the Observance of the Sabbath.)

Tertullian
Therefore, since it is manifest that a sabbath temporal was shown, and a sabbath eternal foretold; a circumcision carnal foretold, and a circumcision spiritual pre-indicated; a law temporal and a law eternal formally declared; sacrifices carnal and sacrifices spiritual foreshown; it follows that, after all these precepts had been given carnally, in time preceding, to the people Israel, there was to supervene a time whereat the precepts of the ancient Law and of the old ceremonies would cease, and the promise of the new law, and the recognition of spiritual sacrifices, and the promise of the New Testament, supervene; while the light from on high would beam upon us who were sitting in darkness, and were being detained in the shadow of death. And so there is incumbent on us a necessity binding us, since we have premised that a new law was predicted by the prophets, and that not such as had been already given to their fathers at the time when He led them forth from the land of Egypt, to show and prove, on the one hand, that that old Law has ceased, and on the other, that the promised new law is now in operation.

And, indeed, first we must inquire whether there be expected a giver of the new law, and an heir of the new testament, and a priest of the new sacrifices, and a purger of the new circumcision, and an observer of the eternal sabbath, to suppress the old law, and institute the new testament, and offer the new sacrifices, and repress the ancient ceremonies, and suppress the old circumcision together with its own sabbath, and announce the new kingdom which is not corruptible. Inquire, I say, we must, whether this giver of the new law, observer of the spiritual sabbath, priest of the eternal sacrifices, eternal ruler of the eternal kingdom, be come or no: that, if he is already come, service may have to be rendered him; if he is not yet come, he may have to be awaited, until by his advent it be manifest that the old Law’s precepts are suppressed, and that the beginnings of the new law ought to arise. And, primarily, we must lay it down that the ancient Law and the prophets could not have ceased, unless He were come who was constantly announced, through the same Law and through the same prophets, as to come.(An Answer to the Jews Chapter VI.—Of the Abolition and the Abolisher of the Old Law. [A.D. 203]).

Origen
If it be objected to us on this subject that we ourselves are accustomed to observe certain days, as for example the Lord’s day, the Preparation, the Passover, or Pentecost, I have to answer, that to the perfect Christian, who is ever in his thoughts, words, and deeds serving his natural Lord, God the Word, all his days are the Lord’s, and he is always keeping the Lord’s day.(Origen Against Celsus. Book 8 Chapter XXII.)

Cyprian
For because the eighth day, that is, the first day after the Sabbath, was to be that on which the Lord should rise again, and should quicken us, and give us circumcision of the spirit, the eighth day, that is, the first day after the Sabbath, and the Lord’s day, went before in the figure; which figure ceased when by and by the truth came, and spiritual circumcision was given to us.
(Epistle LVIII.2 To Fidus, on the Baptism of Infants. 4)

Victorinus
“The sixth day [Friday] is called parasceve, that is to say, the preparation of the kingdom. . . . On this day also, on account of the passion of the Lord Jesus Christ, we make either a station to God or a fast. On the seventh day he rested from all his works, and blessed it, and sanctified it. On the former day we are accustomed to fast rigorously, that on the Lord’s day we may go forth to our bread with giving of thanks. And let the parasceve become a rigorous fast, lest we should appear to observe any Sabbath with the Jews . . . which Sabbath he [Christ] in his body abolished”(The Creation of the World [A.D. 300]).

This sixth day is called parasceve, that is to say, the preparation of the kingdom. For He perfected Adam, whom He made after His image and likeness. But for this reason He completed His works before He created angels and fashioned man, lest perchance they should falsely assert that they had been His helpers. On this day also, on account of the passion of the Lord Jesus Christ, we make either a station to God, or a fast. On the seventh day He rested from all His works, and blessed it, and sanctified it. On the former day we are accustomed to fast rigorously, that on the Lord’s day we may go forth to our bread with giving of thanks. And let the parasceve become a rigorous fast, lest we should appear to observe any Sabbath with the Jews, which Christ Himself, the Lord of the Sabbath, says by His prophets that “His soul hateth;” which Sabbath He in His body abolished, although, nevertheless, He had formerly Himself commanded Moses that circumcision should not pass over the eighth day, which day very frequently happens on the Sabbath, as we read written in the Gospel.(On the Creation of the World p4 )

Last edited:

1stCenturyLady

Jun 26, 2018
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So, is the Christian free to disregard the 1st commandment and worship Satan?
You're not understanding WHY we are free from the law. (I have a question for you at the end.)

Galatians 3:19 What purpose then does the law serve? It was added because of transgressions, till the Seed should come to whom the promise was made

Breaking the commandments was lawlessness right? 1 John 3:4 "sin is lawlessness."

Now, the reason why we are now free from the law. 1 John 3:5,8-9.

1 John 3:5
And you know that He was manifested to take away our sins, and in Him there is no sin.

Sins are transgressions. Therefore, no transgressions, no sin. No sin, no reason for the law. Understand now?

1 John 3:8-9
8 He who sins is of the devil, for the devil has sinned from the beginning. For this purpose the Son of God was manifested, that He might destroy the works of the devil. 9 Whoever has been born of God does not sin, for His seed remains in him; and he cannot sin, because he has been born of God.

Back in 1977 when I was close to 30 years old I was born again and I physically felt a heaviness leave my body. It was the sin in my nature leaving me along with all desire to sin. So, no, I didn't want to worship Satan? In fact, I became righteous that night and never committed lawlessness again. Because lawlessness are sins unto death, I received eternal life that night. 1 John 3:7 "7 Little children, let no one deceive you. He who practices righteousness is righteous, just as He is righteous."

The next step that the Author and Finisher of our faith works in us are the sins NOT unto death - immature fruit of the Spirit. That takes longer than being freed from lawlessness took. 2 Peter 1:5-7 "5 But also for this very reason, giving all diligence, add to your faith virtue, to virtue knowledge, 6 to knowledge self-control, to self-control perseverance, to perseverance godliness, 7 to godliness brotherly kindness, and to brotherly kindness love."

When completely mature in all the fruit of the Spirit, that is perfection, also called holiness. Revelation 22:11b "he who is righteous, let him be righteous still; he who is holy, let him be holy still.”

1 Peter 1:16 "16 because it is written, 'Be holy, for I am holy.'”
Holy equates to perfection from abiding in Jesus and He in us. John 15:4
Matthew 5:48 "Therefore you shall be perfect, just as your Father in heaven is perfect."

I have a question for you. Can you keep the Sabbath without keeping it according to the letter of the law that kills?
2 Corinthians 3:6 6 who also made us sufficient as ministers of the new covenant, not of the letter but of the Spirit; for the letter kills, but the Spirit gives life.

Last edited:

Phoneman777

Jan 14, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You're not understanding WHY we are free from the law. (I have a question for you at the end.)

Galatians 3:19 What purpose then does the law serve? It was added because of transgressions, till the Seed should come to whom the promise was made

Breaking the commandments was lawlessness right? 1 John 3:4 "sin is lawlessness."

And you know that He was manifested to take away our sins, and in Him there is no sin.

Sins are transgressions. Therefore, no transgressions, no sin. No sin, no reason for the law. Understand now?

1 John 3:8-9
8 He who sins is of the devil, for the devil has sinned from the beginning. For this purpose the Son of God was manifested, that He might destroy the works of the devil. 9 Whoever has been born of God does not sin, for His seed remains in him; and he cannot sin, because he has been born of God.

Back in 1977 when I was close to 30 years old I was born again and I physically felt a heaviness leave my body. It was the sin in my nature leaving me along with all desire to sin. So, no, I didn't want to worship Satan? In fact, I became righteous that night and never committed lawlessness again. Because lawlessness are sins unto death, I received eternal life that night. 1 John 3:7 "7 Little children, let no one deceive you. He who practices righteousness is righteous, just as He is righteous."

The next step that the Author and Finisher of our faith works in us are the sins NOT unto death - immature fruit of the Spirit. That takes longer than being freed from lawlessness took. 2 Peter 1:5-7 "5 But also for this very reason, giving all diligence, add to your faith virtue, to virtue knowledge, 6 to knowledge self-control, to self-control perseverance, to perseverance godliness, 7 to godliness brotherly kindness, and to brotherly kindness love."

When completely mature in all the fruit of the Spirit, that is perfection, also called holiness. Revelation 22:11b "he who is righteous, let him be righteous still; he who is holy, let him be holy still.”

Matthew 5:48 "Therefore you shall be perfect, just as your Father in heaven is perfect."

I have a question for you. Can you keep the Sabbath without keeping it according to the letter of the law that kills?
2 Corinthians 3:6 6 who also made us sufficient as ministers of the new covenant, not of the letter but of the Spirit; for the letter kills, but the Spirit gives life.
So, if we don't have to keep the Ten Commandments, which ones are we free to disregard?

Your answer doesn't require paragraph after paragraph, but simply either one or more of the following:

None, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, or 10.

Which is it?

Ziggy

Oct 19, 2020
Maine, USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So, then, the law of Moses was just a cruel joke on everyone until the New Testament smartened them up?

Discipline.

God heard the Hebrews cry from Egypt. They were in bondage and sorely treated. So God sent Moses to free them.
The moment they set foot on the other side of the Red Sea they were in God's grace.
But they tempted him and denied him. They wouldn't listen and they complained. They didn't trust him and they had no faith.
They wanted to return to Egypt claiming they had life so good under the Pharoah's authority.

So God give them what they wanted. Labour, Laws, Daily tasks, which if not abided to, they were punished.
Be careful what you ask for.

God created a garden with everything man needed to survive. But he wanted more.
So God took the man from the garden and put him back in the world to labour for the bread he would eat.

Jesus came and called out himself a people that would hear his voice and follow him.
The world is our bondage and all the labour and laws and daily tasks keep us in submission to it.
We are bound to the world through the works of our hands.
Not your day job, but the things we put our faith in. Like electricity in a storm. Or a cellphone in an accident.
We believe these things will save us more than our faith in God.

But sometimes the lights go out and the signal is silent. What then?

The more stubborn a people are, the harder the rules.

In the day Jesus walked upon the earth, it was a day of liberation from the world and all it's burdens placed upon it.
Buy this, sell that, walk this way, promises made and promises broken.
Man was incapable of keeping laws. Any laws, even today there is anarchy in the streets and in the Capitals that control us.

There are only two laws that God requires of man.To love him and to love each other. All other rules and laws are made by man.
This is the rest. This is the liberation. This is the Jubilee, when all debts have been paid and we are free to serve the Lord and not the world.
We are still in the seventh day if you believe. If you have faith in God and not the world.
We are in the day of Grace. And nothing that our hands can do or make can save us.

The Sabbath was given to Israel as a sign to all the other nations surrounding them wherever they journeyed.
God gave them rest. All the other nations had no such gift. They baught and sold and rose to play and work without any time set aside for God. They didn't know God. God didn't make himself known to them.
He chose Israel to be his banner, to be his light to the world.
But they didn't uphold that banner and the light went dim.
They began to complain about having to wait till the Sabbath was over so they could buy and sell and play and work.
Amo 8:5
Saying, When will the new moon be gone, that we may sell corn? and the sabbath, that we may set forth wheat, making the ephah small, and the shekel great, and falsifying the balances by deceit?

The Sabbath had become a burden to them. It was no longer a gift of grace, rather it became their own standard of righteousness.
Their works would save them.

There is nothing anyone can do to earn their salvation. It is a gif of God, just as the Sabbath was a gift from God.
The Sabbath is Salvation.

As long as you realize that no day or anything you do or don't do in any day is the means of your salvation, then there is no law against setting aside any time or all time with Lord. He is our salvation. He is our Sabbath. He is the gift of God.

Nothing wrong with discipline. The world could use a healthy dose of it right now. And if it is important for you to show the world that you are seperate from it's ways, then so be it. But this discipline should go to the very soul and not just in outward appearances.
You have to walk the walk and not just talk the talk.
You have to be different on the inside not just the outside.

The law was meant to change their hearts, but it didn't. It just caused more division between man and God.
It made them stand out like a sore thumb and many of them didn't want to be different from their neighbors.
They wanted to buy and sell and play and work the same way the world did. And often they got led astray.
Because the law was carnal. It was for the outward appearance.
But the law of the spirit is internal. It changes who you are not just what you do.

When the lights go out and the signal goes silent, what you gonna do?

Who you gonna call?

Hugs

Ziggy

Oct 19, 2020
Maine, USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And, the above is what you assert to be the rest we have in Jesus?

I assure you that's far from the course. The rest we get is far more serious whether we live or die!!

The Sabbath is so important that God changed the day from the seventh day to the first day of the week (Matthew 28:1).

The Bible is a spiritual Book and therefore must be spiritually discerned.

To God Be The Glory
The first day is when God sent light into the world. The seventh day the world went dark.
On the eighth day some were cut off and other were grafted in.
The first day and the eighth day are the same.
The seventh day is the end of the old. It's the intake of breath before the wind blows.
The end is not the beginning.
Jesus was dead/sleeping/silence on the seventh day. It is a time of memorial. It is a pause in the motion.
On the first day God said, Let there be light and Jesus rose from the dead. It is not the Sabbath or the seventh day.
It is a new beginning of the week.
Do we know what day it is?
I'ts looking a lot like the eve of the sixth day.
How much further down this path can we go before we destroy ourselves?
As the days of Noah.

The first day has always been the first day. And the seventh day will always be the seventh day. As long as we are bound by time and space in this world. Man can't change that even with pen and paper in hopes of creating his own religion and his own following.

May you all have a blessed day whatever day it is.
Hugs

GerhardEbersoehn

Jan 14, 2014
Johannesburg
www.biblestudents.co.za
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa

The Didache

1. But every Lord’s day do ye gather yourselves together, and break bread, and give thanksgiving after having confessed your transgressions, that your sacrifice may be pure.

<this...> is not the manuscript--not even the Greek on the manuscript. <this...> is an English translation of it, an 18th century translation it looks like, maybe more recent; and this is a traditional translation, maybe even the, or one of, the TREND-setting, generic standard Roman Catholic orientated, SUNDAY-biased, great scholars', translations. LET'S ADMIT IT, WHEN TRANSLATORS KNEW WHAT, THEY ARE DOING, and therefore can be fully trustworthy and therefore fully PREDICTABLE to write EXACTLY WHAT, they, truly believed to be the truth. JUST remember, they were children of their age and citizens of the world and above all, honest faithful of their Fold and Holy Order and calling. Only one thing is wanting in their Greek soldier's armour: the word or the gap in the armour, where that word is supposed to have been, WHERE <this> excluded John's word 'hehmera' that once stood next to John's word 'Kyriakeh'. NO MANUSCRIPT CONTAINS THE WORD 'HEHMERA', but only 'Kyriakeh' - so that the word 'day' - 'hehmera' is ARBITRARY... AND THE WORD OR IDEA 'SUNDAY' IS PLAIN IDOLATRY.

Last edited:

Ziggy

Oct 19, 2020
Maine, USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And, the above is what you assert to be the rest we have in Jesus?

I assure you that's far from the course. The rest we get is far more serious whether we live or die!!

The Sabbath is so important that God changed the day from the seventh day to the first day of the week (Matthew 28:1).

The Bible is a spiritual Book and therefore must be spiritually discerned.

To God Be The Glory
The rest we recieve is not having to work for our salvation.
It's been done for us. All we need do is believe and have faith.
And to follow Him and the example he set before us.
Under the Old Covenant man had to work and prove his righteousness.
Under the New Covenant Jesus Christ is our righteousness and no amount of work we do will get us through the door.

When Adam was in the garden he didn't need to toil and sweat for his life. God freely gave him everything he needed.
We are there.

When Adam disobeyed God, he gave them laws and rules to live by, for their carnal nature of covetousness.
They had to work the ground for their bread and they brought forth thistles and thorns.
Meaning, everything man did with his own hands marred that which was perfected.
We are not God. We can not make things perfect. Only God can.
And the only one who can make us perfect is Jesus Christ his son.
So you can keep this or keep that, toss out this and toss out that. It won't matter what you put your hand to to make it perfect.

His perfection is our rest from us feeling a need to perfect ourselves. Which we can't do on our own.

You know the church in the wilderness neither sweat nor toiled to bring forth bread for forty years in the desert?
God fed them everyday even on the Seventh day he did not leave them hungry but gave them bread for two days on the sixth day.
All they had to do was trust him. Have faith in him.
But they went out looking anyways for more. Always more.

It's as if Christ's sacrifice isn't enough, we need to do more to "win" or "gain" our salvation.
Because they went looking for more, God gave them a law to not look for more.
They already was in God's grace for those forty years being fed with manna. But they got tired of that light bread and wanted meat.
So he gave them meat. And their still chewing on the grissle.

Num 21:5
And the people spake against God, and against Moses, Wherefore have ye brought us up out of Egypt to die in the wilderness? for there is no bread, neither is there any water; and our soul loatheth this light bread.

Have you been watching the news lately? There are many in the world that are loathing Christ and his followers.
They want meat. And they're coming for us.
But we Christians are still enjoying that light bread. We live by the Word of God and not by bread alone.
We walk by faith and not by sight.

Nothing changed friend. It's always been the same and always will be.
Children of darkness seek their own salvation. Children of light have already recieved salvation.
Nothing more is required except charity.

Give... this is the message Jesus gave. It is more blessed to give than to recieve. Give and it shall be given to you. Forgive and you shall be forgiven. Give is what God did for man and giving is what is required from man.

Reciprocity.

Hugs

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
<this...> is not the manuscript--not even the Greek on the manuscript. <this...> is an English translation of it, an 18th century translation it looks like, maybe more recent; and this is a traditional translation, maybe even the, or one of, the TREND-setting, generic standard Roman Catholic orientated, SUNDAY-biased, great scholars', translations. LET'S ADMIT IT, WHEN TRANSLATORS KNEW WHAT, THEY ARE DOING, and therefore can be fully trustworthy and therefore fully PRECICTABLE to write EXACTLY WHAT, they, truly believed to be the truth. JUST remember, they were children of their age and citizens of the world and above all, honest faithful of their Fold and Holy Order and calling. Only one thing is wanting in their Greek soldier's armour: the word or the gap in the armour, where that word is supposed to have been, WHERE <this> excluded John's word 'hehmera' that once stood next to John's word 'Kyriakeh'. NO MANUSCRIPT CONTAINS THE WORD 'HEHMERA', but only 'Kyriakeh' - so that the word 'day' - 'hehmera' is ARBITRARY... AND THE WORD OR IDEA 'SUNDAY' IS PLAIN IDOLATRY.
LOL

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Discipline.

God heard the Hebrews cry from Egypt. They were in bondage and sorely treated. So God sent Moses to free them.
The moment they set foot on the other side of the Red Sea they were in God's grace.
But they tempted him and denied him. They wouldn't listen and they complained. They didn't trust him and they had no faith.
They wanted to return to Egypt claiming they had life so good under the Pharoah's authority.

So God give them what they wanted. Labour, Laws, Daily tasks, which if not abided to, they were punished.
Be careful what you ask for.

God created a garden with everything man needed to survive. But he wanted more.
So God took the man from the garden and put him back in the world to labour for the bread he would eat.

Jesus came and called out himself a people that would hear his voice and follow him.
The world is our bondage and all the labour and laws and daily tasks keep us in submission to it.
We are bound to the world through the works of our hands.
Not your day job, but the things we put our faith in. Like electricity in a storm. Or a cellphone in an accident.
We believe these things will save us more than our faith in God.

But sometimes the lights go out and the signal is silent. What then?

The more stubborn a people are, the harder the rules.

In the day Jesus walked upon the earth, it was a day of liberation from the world and all it's burdens placed upon it.
Buy this, sell that, walk this way, promises made and promises broken.
Man was incapable of keeping laws. Any laws, even today there is anarchy in the streets and in the Capitals that control us.

There are only two laws that God requires of man.To love him and to love each other. All other rules and laws are made by man.
This is the rest. This is the liberation. This is the Jubilee, when all debts have been paid and we are free to serve the Lord and not the world.
We are still in the seventh day if you believe. If you have faith in God and not the world.
We are in the day of Grace. And nothing that our hands can do or make can save us.

The Sabbath was given to Israel as a sign to all the other nations surrounding them wherever they journeyed.
God gave them rest. All the other nations had no such gift. They baught and sold and rose to play and work without any time set aside for God. They didn't know God. God didn't make himself known to them.
He chose Israel to be his banner, to be his light to the world.
But they didn't uphold that banner and the light went dim.
They began to complain about having to wait till the Sabbath was over so they could buy and sell and play and work.
Amo 8:5
Saying, When will the new moon be gone, that we may sell corn? and the sabbath, that we may set forth wheat, making the ephah small, and the shekel great, and falsifying the balances by deceit?

The Sabbath had become a burden to them. It was no longer a gift of grace, rather it became their own standard of righteousness.
Their works would save them.

There is nothing anyone can do to earn their salvation. It is a gif of God, just as the Sabbath was a gift from God.
The Sabbath is Salvation.

As long as you realize that no day or anything you do or don't do in any day is the means of your salvation, then there is no law against setting aside any time or all time with Lord. He is our salvation. He is our Sabbath. He is the gift of God.

Nothing wrong with discipline. The world could use a healthy dose of it right now. And if it is important for you to show the world that you are seperate from it's ways, then so be it. But this discipline should go to the very soul and not just in outward appearances.
You have to walk the walk and not just talk the talk.
You have to be different on the inside not just the outside.

The law was meant to change their hearts, but it didn't. It just caused more division between man and God.
It made them stand out like a sore thumb and many of them didn't want to be different from their neighbors.
They wanted to buy and sell and play and work the same way the world did. And often they got led astray.
Because the law was carnal. It was for the outward appearance.
But the law of the spirit is internal. It changes who you are not just what you do.

When the lights go out and the signal goes silent, what you gonna do?

Who you gonna call?

Hugs

The Bible says we can only live by every word that proceeds from the mouth of God—not just any word.

I can't do the mental gymnastics you're doing here, Zig.

I can't take what God has plainly said and play hopscotch with it until I've turned it into something else entirely that conforms to the lifestyle with which I'm familiar or comfortable.

If that's what it takes to be saved, I'll be lost for sure.

Hugs?
:hearteyes:

1stCenturyLady

Jun 26, 2018
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So, if we don't have to keep the Ten Commandments, which ones are we free to disregard?

Your answer doesn't require paragraph after paragraph, but simply either one or more of the following:

None, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, or 10.

Which is it?
To be fair, first you need to answer my question to you if you can and are brave enough, then it will be my turn again to answer your next question which I can very easily. It is about time you show that you know what the New Covenant is all about.

Last edited:

1stCenturyLady

Jun 26, 2018
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So, then, the law of Moses was just a cruel joke on everyone until the New Testament smartened them up?

Hey Barn! Guess what? After church yesterday at the first Sabbath of the month meal, someone made a dish made out of meatless scallops!!! I love those. They are just like Choplets, but cut weird.

It is such a loving church. And so is the church I go to on Sundays.

Remember, Hebrews 10:25. Jesus is just around the corner, so I'm fellowshipping all the more as we see that Day coming.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: BarneyFife

Ziggy

Oct 19, 2020
Maine, USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hugs Barney,

As I have said from the begining:

Rom 14:19
Let us therefore follow after the things which make for peace, and things wherewith one may edify another.
Rom 14:20
For meat destroy not the work of God. All things indeed are pure; but it is evil for that man who eateth with offence.
Rom 14:21
It is good neither to eat flesh, nor to drink wine, nor any thing whereby thy brother stumbleth, or is offended, or is made weak.
Rom 14:22
Hast thou faith? have it to thyself before God. Happy is he that condemneth not himself in that thing which he alloweth.
Rom 14:23
And he that doubteth is damned if he eat, because he eateth not of faith: for whatsoever is not of faith is sin.

It's not what day you worship, it's if you are worshipping by faith regardless of the day.
In spirit and in truth.

It's not in this mountain or in Jerusalem one must worship God, but in one's heart and mind and soul.
It's not the elements of time and space in which we find ourselves bound.
It's any place and all the time.

Jhn 4:20
Our fathers worshipped in this mountain; and ye say, that in Jerusalem is the place where men ought to worship.
Jhn 4:21
Jesus saith unto her, Woman, believe me, the hour cometh, when ye shall neither in this mountain, nor yet at Jerusalem, worship the Father.
Jhn 4:22
Ye worship ye know not what: we know what we worship: for salvation is of the Jews.
Jhn 4:23
But the hour cometh, and now is, when the true worshippers shall worship the Father in spirit and in truth: for the Father seeketh such to worship him.
Jhn 4:24
God is a Spirit: and they that worship him must worship him in spirit and in truth.

Deu 9:9
When I was gone up into the mount to receive the tables of stone, even the tables of the covenant which the LORD made with you, then I abode in the mount forty days and forty nights, I neither did eat bread nor drink water:

Mat 4:1
Then was Jesus led up of the Spirit into the wilderness to be tempted of the devil.
Mat 4:2
And when he had fasted forty days and forty nights, he was afterward an hungred.
Mat 4:3
And when the tempter came to him, he said, If thou be the Son of God, command that these stones be made bread.
Mat 4:4
But he answered and said, It is written, Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of God.

Luk 11:11
If a son shall ask bread of any of you that is a father, will he give him a stone? or if he ask a fish, will he for a fish give him a serpent?

Deu 18:18
I will raise them up a Prophet from among their brethren, like unto thee, and will put my words in his mouth; and he shall speak unto them all that I shall command him.
Deu 18:19
And it shall come to pass, that whosoever will not hearken unto my words which he shall speak in my name, I will require it of him.

Jhn 6:63
It is the spirit that quickeneth; the flesh profiteth nothing: the words that I speak unto you, they are spirit, and they are life.
Jhn 14:10
Believest thou not that I am in the Father, and the Father in me? the words that I speak unto you I speak not of myself: but the Father that dwelleth in me, he doeth the works.

When and How did the Son of God keep the Sabbath?

Mat 26:55
In that same hour said Jesus to the multitudes, Are ye come out as against a thief with swords and staves for to take me? I sat daily with you teaching in the temple, and ye laid no hold on me.
Mar 14:49
I was daily with you in the temple teaching, and ye took me not: but the scriptures must be fulfilled.
Luk 19:47
And he taught daily in the temple. But the chief priests and the scribes and the chief of the people sought to destroy him,
Luk 22:53
When I was daily with you in the temple, ye stretched forth no hands against me: but this is your hour, and the power of darkness.

Luk 13:14
And the ruler of the synagogue answered with indignation, because that Jesus had healed on the sabbath day, and said unto the people, There are six days in which men ought to work: in them therefore come and be healed, and not on the sabbath day.
Luk 13:15
The Lord then answered him, and said, Thou hypocrite, doth not each one of you on the sabbath loose his ox or his ass from the stall, and lead him away to watering?
Luk 13:16
And ought not this woman, being a daughter of Abraham, whom Satan hath bound, lo, these eighteen years, be loosed from this bond on the sabbath day?
Luk 13:17
And when he had said these things, all his adversaries were ashamed: and all the people rejoiced for all the glorious things that were done by him.

Mat 12:11
And he said unto them, What man shall there be among you, that shall have one sheep, and if it fall into a pit on the sabbath day, will he not lay hold on it, and lift it out?
Mat 12:12
How much then is a man better than a sheep? Wherefore it is lawful to do well on the sabbath days.

It is lawful to do well on the sabbath days. There is no law against doing that which is good, even on the sabbath days.
Daily even.

Do well.
:D

Much Love

Hugs

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hey Barn! Guess what? After church yesterday at the first Sabbath of the month meal, someone made a dish made out of meatless scallops!!! I love those. They are just like Choplets, but cut weird.

It is such a loving church. And so is the church I go to on Sundays.

Remember, Hebrews 10:25. Jesus is just around the corner, so I'm fellowshipping all the more as we see that Day coming.

Praise the LORD!!

God bless you, Sis!

My wife just loves those mock scallops. We cut them in half longways and bread and oven-fry them, then dip them in cocktail sauce. There pretty yummy!

• Love
Reactions: 1stCenturyLady

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Thanks so much for the reminder, Sis! You're right on time with it, too!

I've been ailing some and haven't made it to meeting the past few, when I probably could have managed well enough.

1stCenturyLady

Jun 26, 2018
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thanks so much for the reminder, Sis! You're right on time with it, too!

I've been ailing some and haven't made it to meeting the past few, when I probably could have managed well enough.

What are you ailing with? I've learned to take 10,000 i.u. of D3 and vitamin K2 daily. And if I get a chill, I up the D3 to 20,000 i.u. Your wife too. They have found that many victims of breast cancer were low in D3. And the rest home victims of Covid were all low in D3. Not enough sunlight.

Phoneman777

Jan 14, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
OK
Yes, the Mosaic Law was "added because of transgressions" against an already existing law that was transgressed - the Ten Commandments - until the Seed should come and nail the Mosaic Law to the Cross. Any other interpretation causes Biblical disharmony.

What is taken away is the guilt of confessed and forsaken sin (Proverbs 28:13 KJV), not our obligation for "reasonable service" (Romans 12:1 KJV) and "unprofitable" (Luke 17:10 KJV) obedience to the Ten Commandments.

If your argument were true, James was wrong to warn that if the blood washed, born again, grace saved Christian commits murder, he becomes a transgressor of the law.
Eternal life ain't a stamped card or a punched ticket we put in our pocket - it's granted upon condition that we "abide in the Vine" and "continue in grace" and "endure to the end" and "continue in My word", etc. It's choice to either continually say "not my will, but Thine" or say "it's my will, and to hell with Thine will" - sin or obedience is simply outward evidence of our inward choice.

Women should understand this better than us men.

No sane wife would ever believe her habitually unfaithful husband no matter how much he says he loves her, but for some reason, Christian women are the most vocal advocates for demanding God accept both faithfulness and unfaithfulness as proof we love Him.

"Sins unto death" are deliberate, known, habitual, presumptuous sins from which the Presumptuous Man refuses to repent and will split hell wide open no matter how high he raises his praise hands.

"Sin not unto death" are those for which the Just Man wets his pillow at night with tears in deep sorrow, begging God for overcoming power - grace will ever accompany this man all the way to the kingdom.
Holiness and perfection in our respective spheres. The perfect test scores of the PhD student and the kindergarten student are indeed both perfect but not both equal.
FIRST: If one keeps the "spirit of the law" he will by default be keeping "letter of the law" - unless your willing to argue it's OK for a man to sleep with another man's wife as long as he doesn't lust.

SECOND: The law is a "killer" only to those who attempt to obtain salvation by obeying it because attempting that leads only to spiritual ruin. To the saint, the law is "holy, just, and good" - not a killer.

THIRDLY, to answer your question: Hebrews 4:9-10 KJV plainly says the weekly Sabbath remains for Christians to keep according to how the commandment says it's to be kept - because if we're resting inwardly in Jesus, we'll demonstrate that rest by resting every Sabbath from our work "as God did from His".

Last edited:

GerhardEbersoehn

Jan 14, 2014
Johannesburg
www.biblestudents.co.za
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa

The Didache

How can I not know this?
How can you say I don't know this? Simply because you are arrogant and yourself DO NOT KNOW these documents.
MORE IMPORTANT. . .
Are you saying that I do not believe 'THIS'
The Didache
(Didache Chapter XIV.11 —Christian Assembly on the Lord’s Day. 14 [A.D. 70]). . .

I believe it, even this: "But every Lord’s day do ye gather yourselves together". What is wrong with every Lord’s Sabbath Day gathering together, even in this era, the 21st century AD? BECAUSE "the Son of Man Lord of the Sabbath", STILL "IS", "The Same, yesterday, today, and, FOREVER."
10:40 AM · Apr 8, 2024

Last edited: