Why Keep Shabbat? I’M Not A Jew!

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
Dear sir,

Your response has made things worse. Now I am totally loss. I have not talked about the Sabbath or judging someone or the decalogue or other species engaging in homosexuality.

The act of homosexuality is an un-natural act therefor when one participates in it they are violating NATURAL LAW because it is un-NATURAL. The act is opposite of what God designed OR created us for. This isn't a matter of judging. It is a matter of NATURAL LAW.

Mary
so then you contemplate making others, homosexuals, subject to the law, but will not contemplate fulfilling the law yourself? I'm curious if you would advocate exterminating animals that engage in homosexual behavior too? And what about mud-skippers? If you decide that you are the arbiter of "natural," where does that stop? What about men going to space?

Job

Feb 5, 2014
somewhere
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Some Christians contest that a mercy killing (assisted suicide due to incurable cancer) is showing love however thought shalt not kill is a commandment also. Is it ok to kill someone if I do it out of love since loving my neighbor is a greater commandment then thou shall not kill?

No....and here's why.....in my opinion.

Romans 13
1 Let every soul be subject to the governing authorities. For there is no authority except from God, and the authorities that exist are appointed by God.
2 Therefore whoever resists the authority resists the ordinance of God, and those who resist will bring judgment on themselves.

1 Peter 2
13 Therefore submit yourselves to every ordinance of man for the Lord’s sake, whether to the king as supreme,
14 or to governors, as to those who are sent by him for the punishment of evildoers and for the praise of those who do good.
15 For this is the will of God, that by doing good you may put to silence the ignorance of foolish men—

Titus 3
3 Remind them to be subject to rulers and authorities, to obey, to be ready for every good work,
2 to speak evil of no one, to be peaceable, gentle, showing all humility to all men.

The ordinance of man states that murder is illegal in all 50 states. If you're breaking the laws of man, you're going against the commandments of God.

Doing someone a favor by killing them is never a bright idea.

Wormwood

Chaps
Apr 9, 2013
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
My reflections on the issue of Sabbath keeping are as follows:
Much of the OT, including many of the laws (circumcision, dietary laws, sacrifices, etc.) were used as a tool to point Israel and the world to Jesus Christ. At least, this seems to be the very clear indicate from the NT writers, themselves. As such, there is no sense that NT authors believed that Christians were to continue to abide by these laws as a means of maintaining their new covenant with God. The laws pointed to the reality of the new covenant and were not elements of that covenant. (In fact, Acts 15 indicates that the ONLY requirements for joining this new, faith-based covenant relationship with God was avoiding sexual immorality, meat sacfiriced to idols and blood)

For instance, the purpose of the sacrifices were clearly to point us to the greater sacrifice Christ made. Thus, the commands about sacrifices in the OT are clearly not requirements for the new covenant as the sacrifice, once for all, was completed by Jesus. Likewise, dietary laws are clearly understood by early believers as symbols by which God separated clean from unclean and these images are clearly used by the NT authors to indicate that all things are clean (including pig-eating Gentiles) by faith in Christ. As God told Peter, "Do not call unclean what I have made clean!" Furthermore, the Temple itself was merely a type and shadow of the heavenly realities that really mattered...just as the Levitical priesthood was merely a weaker copy of the order of Melchizadek that Christ represented. In the same way, the observance of the Sabbath was clearly viewed by early Christians and the author of Hebrews as an image of the rest we now have in Christ. The rest from work that was part of the Israelite lifestyle (as were sacrifices, dietary practices, festivals, etc) were all a means in the old covenant to point to the reality of the new covenant that was far better and would eliminate the old. Christ is our sacrifice. Christ is our rest. Christ is what makes us truly clean. Christ is our ransom and Jubilee. He is our redeemer. He is our Passover Lamb. He is our circumcision which transforms the heart rather than focusing on the flesh.
All of these things...Sabbath, sacrifice, circumcision, dietary practices, Temple rituals, festivals, etc....point to Jesus. I think if we feel that God's pleasure is met in the keeping of these practices then we miss their true focus and the reality of them fulfilled in Christ. We have been set free from Law. We are not bound by trying to please God through diets, days and other such observances. The Apostle Paul was so emphatic about this point that he literally lost his life over this very issue!
In sum, I think we need to be VERY careful as we consider what pleases God. To believe we maintain a pleasing relationship with God by our adherence to these practices (and merely that Jesus empowers them to do them flawlessly) is to miss the actual purpose of these practices and diminish the work of the cross as an aid to keep the law rather than the fulfillment of it. We died to the law in Christ. We are free to live by grace. Do not be yoked with the burdens of diets, circumcision, other OT practices because you think that by them you will please God. God is pleased only in the perfect life of Jesus. By faith, not by our adherence to laws, we receive that righteousness and perfection.
Does this mean we should live lawless, evil lives? Of course not. We have been set free from the Law in order to live for God. But living for God does not mean counting steps on a Sabbath, offering sacrifices, or circumcise get our children. These things were signs to point us to Jesus and to continue in them, in my opinion, is to prefer the sign to the fulfillment of it...which is a terrible mistake.

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Do not be yoked with the burdens of diets, circumcision, other OT practices because you think that by them you will please God.
i agree, but then none of those are Decalogue, either, nor were any of them practiced by God in Genesis, nor foretold in Daniel and the Rev.

Let's be honest, everyone likes to shop on Saturday, Obama even made it "small bidness day," so why not just go shop and stop trying to justify it with some distortion of Scripture.

Sabbath way predates the Law iow, so now what. Do not be yoked with bad interpretations imo.

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
so then you contemplate making others, homosexuals, subject to the law, but will not contemplate fulfilling the law yourself? I'm curious if you would advocate exterminating animals that engage in homosexual behavior too? And what about mud-skippers? If you decide that you are the arbiter of "natural," where does that stop? What about men going to space?
I contemplate making others subject to the law....what are you talking about?
I haven't advocated exterminating HUMANS that engage in homosexual behavior so why would advocate exterminating animals for the same....you make no sense.
When did I say I was the arbiter of what is "natural"? You are confusing me.
What about men going into space (which is where I think you are right now)?

Nothing you said makes sense to me.

Mary

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No....and here's why.....in my opinion.

Romans 13
1 Let every soul be subject to the governing authorities. For there is no authority except from God, and the authorities that exist are appointed by God.
2 Therefore whoever resists the authority resists the ordinance of God, and those who resist will bring judgment on themselves.

1 Peter 2
13 Therefore submit yourselves to every ordinance of man for the Lord’s sake, whether to the king as supreme,
14 or to governors, as to those who are sent by him for the punishment of evildoers and for the praise of those who do good.
15 For this is the will of God, that by doing good you may put to silence the ignorance of foolish men—

Titus 3
3 Remind them to be subject to rulers and authorities, to obey, to be ready for every good work,
2 to speak evil of no one, to be peaceable, gentle, showing all humility to all men.

The ordinance of man states that murder is illegal in all 50 states. If you're breaking the laws of man, you're going against the commandments of God.
Doing someone a favor by killing them is never a bright idea.
Job,

We are not talking about murder. We are talking about assisted suicide.

I take it your answer to my question is thou shalt not kill is the greater commandment?

If I love someone it is better for both of us that I watch them suffer instead of helping them take a few extra pills to end their suffering?

Mary

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I’m not a Jew either, although I suspect I may be an ‘Israelite’ of the grafted-in sort…at least an ‘Israelite’ in spirit, and in full knowledge that the land promises and the promise of the Millennial Kingdom to the Jews stand intact, if unfulfilled at present. I have tossed out all of the Pagan influences...
Those in Christ having received the Holy Spirit according to Joel the profit and Christ, do no more practice. It is finished. To do otherwise, is to deny Christ.

Job

Feb 5, 2014
somewhere
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If I love someone it is better for both of us that I watch them suffer instead of helping them take a few extra pills to end their suffering?
Murder is murder regardless of how you try to color it. What you are suggesting here goes against scripture as well as the laws of man.

When someone assists in the taking of a life, I don't believe the Lord sees it as an act of compassion. I believe He sees an act of disobedience. There's nothing in the Word that commands us to kill our friends if they're sick. There are however, commandments that forbid murder. Ending a life is murder and an act of disobedience.

It's really that simple.

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
amen. They are sick for a reason, and imo you are playing into the hands of globalists, who openly confess to a population reduction agenda. Plainly stated, in 12 languages, 10 feet high.

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Murder is murder regardless of how you try to color it. What you are suggesting here goes against scripture as well as the laws of man.

When someone assists in the taking of a life, I don't believe the Lord sees it as an act of compassion. I believe He sees an act of disobedience. There's nothing in the Word that commands us to kill our friends if they're sick. There are however, commandments that forbid murder. Ending a life is murder and an act of disobedience.

It's really that simple.
Dear Job,

You are the one who said love is one of the first two commandments.

If I love someone I would not want them to die in long suffering pain.

Mary

Reactions: Helen

Job

Feb 5, 2014
somewhere
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Dear Job,

You are the one who said love is one of the first two commandments.
Yes, "Love thy neighbor as thyself". Treat others as you would have them treat you.

Ending a life that was created by God is not loving your neighbor.......in my opinion.

If I love someone I would not want them to die in long suffering pain.
Prayer works.
b

Job

Feb 5, 2014
somewhere
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I never said it was legal in all 50 states. You should be focused on ALL of the world where all Christians live, not just the United States.
Making a decision as to whether someone should live or die is playing god. Even if the patient asks to have this done, you're still the one who has to decide whether to go through with it or not.

I don't know how God would view this so I can't tell you whether you're right or wrong in your instance. It would be wrong for me.

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes, "Love thy neighbor as thyself". Treat others as you would have them treat you.

Ending a life that was created by God is not loving your neighbor.......in my opinion.

Prayer works.
Job,

Wouldn't it be out of love you help someone end their suffering? If the "love" commandment is greater then the "thou shall not kill" commandment then wouldn't assisting them in ending their suffering have priority?

I would want others to assist me in ending my misery if I can't physically do it myself. Is that what you mean by "Treat others as you would have them treat you"?

Prayer works?
If you could ask my uncle who laid in bed for over a month coughing up blood if prayer works I wonder what he would say. His life was dedicated to serving God and his people. A true Christian thru and thru.

Assisting someone in ending their pain is a tough situation. I hope I never get put in that situation with someone I love.

Mary

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Making a decision as to whether someone should live or die is playing god. Even if the patient asks to have this done, you're still the one who has to decide whether to go through with it or not.

I don't know how God would view this so I can't tell you whether you're right or wrong in your instance. It would be wrong for me.
Job,

When someone is slowly dying of cancer it is not a decision of whether they should live or die. It is a decision if they want to die NOW instead of a month LATER and be in severe pain coughing up blood for that entire month. It is not a life or death situation. It is a die now or die a month from now situation.

I don't think I could help someone end their life.

Mary

Job

Feb 5, 2014
somewhere
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I would want others to assist me in ending my misery if I can't physically do it myself. Is that what you mean by "Treat others as you would have them treat you"?
Murder is a sin. Would you really ask your friends to sin just so you could feel better?

Job

Feb 5, 2014
somewhere
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Prayer works? If you could ask my uncle who laid in bed for over a month coughing up blood if prayer works I wonder what he would say. His life was dedicated to serving God and his people. A true Christian thru and thru.
Prayer does work. I've seen it.