Why Mars Hill Church Uses the ESV

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

HammerStone

Staff member
Feb 12, 2006
South Carolina
prayerforums.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
http://theresurgence.com/2013/08/22/why-mars-hill-uses-the-esv-bible

I thought the above article made the case of the use of the English Standard Version (ESV) from a fairly reasonable standpoint. Obviously, there are statements to quibble with, but this didn't seem, at least, to have as much of the my Bible version is better than your Bible version syndrome.

Thoughts?

day

Aug 2, 2012
Idaho, USA
It would be helpful if Bibles had a rating system so that when you are planning on buying a Bible you would know where it fits on the readability (educational level) and equivalency scales. Also, perhaps a short dictionary should be included by publishers along with the concordance and maps.

I happen to be using the ESV presently as my primary Bible, and have an interlinear Hebrew/Greek Bible for when I get really serious. I also have a chronological daily Bible in the HCSB version where I can check out an alternative reading as well as seeing the order events happened. I did just order another Bible (I am a book-aholic) which is an Orthodox translation with apocrypha and with commentary from the Early Church Fathers. It is a word for word translation also, but I bought it for the other features.

I think churches should use word for word translations because they are teaching the Word of God, not what someone said God said. Even worse, I have attended churches where the sermon was not from Scripture at all but from some popular self help book. In many places there truly is a famine of the Word of God, its no wonder people leave to find nourishment in strange pastures.

Wormwood

Chaps
Apr 9, 2013
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'm a big fan of the ESV. The only reason I don't quote from it exclusively is because the NIV is so popular! Grrr!

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
It would be helpful if Bibles had a rating system so that when you are planning on buying a Bible you would know where it fits on the readability (educational level) and equivalency scales. Also, perhaps a short dictionary should be included by publishers along with the concordance and maps.
And they say the bibli is Gods word, even though man is forever altering it ???

God doesnt change we just mould Him inot the image we want.

In all His lo9ve