Why the cross actually saves

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Another post showing a lacking of understanding the power of the cross. :(

If you only read the bible...you would see how you are being sentimental but fully unbiblical here.

Have you not yet experienced the power of the cross?...but only read about or saw a movie about Jesus and His passion?

But look at the bible...

He himself bore our sins in his body on the tree, that we might die to sin and live to righteousness. By his wounds you have been healed. For you were straying like sheep, but have now returned to the Shepherd and Overseer of your souls.

Who dies to sin??? WE are to. That is our part in the equation.

I have been crucified with Christ. It is no longer I who live, but Christ who lives in me. And the life I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me.

By this we know love, that he laid down his life for us, and we ought to lay down our lives for the brothers.

His part...then our part

And calling the crowd to him with his disciples, he said to them, “If anyone would come after me, let him deny himself and take up his cross and follow me.

And whoever does not take his cross and follow me is not worthy of me.

But far be it from me to boast except in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, by which the world has been crucified to me, and I to the world.

Last edited:
Reactions: amadeus and APAK

SovereignGrace

Certified Flunky
Feb 15, 2019
Crum, WVa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If you only read the bible...you would see how you are being sentimental but fully unbiblical here.

You have not yet experienced the power of the cross...but only read about or saw a movie about Jesus and His passion.

But look at the bible...

He himself bore our sins in his body on the tree, that we might die to sin and live to righteousness. By his wounds you have been healed. For you were straying like sheep, but have now returned to the Shepherd and Overseer of your souls.

Who dies to sin??? WE are to. That is our part in the equation.

I have been crucified with Christ. It is no longer I who live, but Christ who lives in me. And the life I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me.

By this we know love, that he laid down his life for us, and we ought to lay down our lives for the brothers.

His part...then our part

And calling the crowd to him with his disciples, he said to them, “If anyone would come after me, let him deny himself and take up his cross and follow me.

And whoever does not take his cross and follow me is not worthy of me.

But far be it from me to boast except in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, by which the world has been crucified to me, and I to the world.

That which I bolded was why I had you on ignore. I foolishly viewed your post. I won’t make that error again. Thanks for calling me lost. Good bye.

SovereignGrace

Certified Flunky
Feb 15, 2019
Crum, WVa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Cross saves because it is the power of God unto Salvation. For the people of God, the Cross paid for it all; faith, justification, sanctification, and glorification. All were purchased and made possible by Christ, and there is nothing we as fallen, dirty sinners can add to it. It is a perfect and whole work, that has no need for our filthy 'contributions'. And, deep down, we all know this. We know there is nothing we can add to the work of Christ.

Jesus paid it all
All to Him I owe,
Sin had left a crimson stain
He washed it white as snow.

Not

Jesus paid it part
Half was Him half me
Without us applying it
Oh where would we all be?
What we’re seeing is a cross that saves(our belief) vs a cross that saves after they do this, that, or something(their belief). They have wrested the power of the cross from the cross and given into their own hands to wield it as they deem fit. :(

H. Richard

Sep 16, 2015
Southeast USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Another post showing a lacking of understanding of the cross. The cross doesn’t make ppl saveable if they hold up their end of the deal, but actually saves sinners from their sins.

I don't understand your reply. I think I said that anyone who actually puts their faith in the work of God (Jesus) on the cross will be saved

Jesus actually paid for the sins of the whole world. If not then God is unfair. That is not just a saying of mine. The scriptures also say it.

Jesus paid for a full pardon for all who will place their faith in His work on the cross. But, as I posted, mankind refuses to believe their pardon and would rather do works to be saved, just as Cain did.

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I don't understand your reply. I think I said that anyone who actually puts their faith in the work of God (Jesus) on the cross will be saved

Jesus actually paid for the sins of the whole world. If not then God is unfair. That is not just a saying of mine. The scriptures also say it.

Jesus paid for a full pardon for all who will place their faith in His work on the cross. But, as I posted, mankind refuses their pardon and would rather do works to be saved, just as Cain did.

More faulty reasoning. This is just an attempt to exploit for personal gain what Jesus did for all mankind. The way to take hold of this sacrifice is to sacrifice oneself and FOLLOW CHRIST in His death so as to partake in His resurrection life.

Phil. 3:10 I want to know Christ and the power of His resurrection and the fellowship of His sufferings, being conformed to Him in His death,

Reactions: amadeus and APAK

SovereignGrace

Certified Flunky
Feb 15, 2019
Crum, WVa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Jesus paid for a full pardon for all who will place their faith in His work on the cross. But, as I posted, mankind refuses their pardon and would rather do works to be saved, just as Cain did.
Again, your lack of understanding the cross is exposed.

You say the cross is for everyone. Now, those who die lost, it was still for them. Yet, they died lost. If they died lost, the cross did not save them. The cross saves all it was intended for.[John 10:11, John 10:15, Ephesians 5:25]

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
That which I bolded was why I had you on ignore. I foolishly viewed your post. I won’t make that error again. Thanks for calling me lost. Good bye.

I was being foolish trying to cite actual scripture to an emotional person who ignores logic and truth.

SovereignGrace

Certified Flunky
Feb 15, 2019
Crum, WVa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Jesus paid for a full pardon for all who will place their faith in His work on the cross. But, as I posted, mankind refuses to believe their pardon and would rather do works to be saved, just as Cain did.
If someone’s sins are paid for, they’re saved. No one whose sin debt is paid for ends up in the lake of fire. Only a cruel God would look at someone whose sins are paid for(atoned) and cast them headlong into hell. :(

SovereignGrace

Certified Flunky
Feb 15, 2019
Crum, WVa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

I am not trying to be snarky in all of this, but want ppl to better grasp the cross. This cross + what we did is not the gospel.

H. Richard

Sep 16, 2015
Southeast USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Again, your lack of understanding the cross is exposed.

You say the cross is for everyone. Now, those who die lost, it was still for them. Yet, they died lost. If they died lost, the cross did not save them. The cross saves all it was intended for.[John 10:11, John 10:15, Ephesians 5:25]

In this age, God's wrath is for those that will not believe in the power of His Son's work on the cross. He can certainly condemn those that refuse His work (pardon) on the cross.

If you had left this out it was possible for us to be friends. You said, "Again, your lack of understanding the cross is exposed."

I will not continue with you making the claim that I have a lack of understanding. You are just wanting set your self up as the only one who has the right ideas about scriptures. I think you need this to satisfy your ego.

You show no fruits of the spirit. You think by putting down the beliefs of others you will make your self the greatest.

You are welcome to go for it but I have lost any confidence in what you are putting down.

Last edited:

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And even the ability to believe comes from God. [John 6:29 Philippians 1:29]

Believing is still something that we do.

You’re proving my point in this post. You’re saying the cross PLUS what you did equals salvation. You’ve taken the power of the cross away from itself and placed it in man’s hands. :(

Is that what I did? It seems to me that I was referring to scripture (Romans 10:13). So if that scripture teaches what is so abhorrent to you, then it is the scripture that you have to deal with.

I was being foolish trying to cite actual scripture to an emotional person who ignores logic and truth.

It is not all in vain. What you wrote ministered to me.

Reactions: APAK and Episkopos

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
What is the work of Christ? Is God not taking us to the next level of His workmanship? If we are willing to let go of what we presently have...that is? That is OUR part. Letting go and letting God.

So what is that next level of His creation for us?

From the power of the flesh to the power of His Spirit! From death to life.

Jesus died for the sins of the whole world just as He makes the sun to shine on both the just and the wicked. The ones who think they are just can't claim the good weather for themselves because they are looking for advantage over others and salvation by claiming to be righteous...such as people like @H. Richard do. Then they are no longer the just in doing so. They prove their iniquity by their lack of godly character in self-seeking. To seek one's own salvation and righteousness is selfish and is a travesty of God's goodness. God has His own purpose for doing things. We can't try to exploit His goodness for ourselves. God is just. He watches to see what we will do. If we seek to survive in our lives then we will lose our lives. But if we lose our lives for His sake...then we will find them.

God's ways are far above our own. Just when we think we have it all figured out...we find out that it is death, not life, we are going after.

Better to let go of the old ways and embrace the cross of Christ which separates us from the world...and ourselves...so that we can be connected to God and partake of His life according to the Spirit.

Last edited:

1stCenturyLady

Jun 26, 2018
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I believe Scripture is clear Jesus had no such advantage over us in overcoming sin, and that the same power available to Him is available to us.

Us, no, but to the Jews Jesus was preaching to, definitely. Jesus was conceived of the seed of the Father, therefore he couldn't sin. When we are born again of the Spirit of Christ, we also receive the seed of the Father and cannot sin. 1 John 3:9.

Reactions: APAK

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
If the cross was for everybody, and everybody was not saved, then the cross, in and of itself, did not save them.
That is extremely faulty logic and in fact another gospel.

The cross can only save those who look to the Savior on the cross. In and of itself the cross is merely wood. That is why Christ pointed to the Brazen Serpent as a type of Himself. All Israelites -- without exception -- could look upon that Brazen Serpent and be saved from immediate death. The pole on which it was mounted had no power.

And the LORD said unto Moses, Make thee a fiery serpent, and set it upon a pole: and it shall come to pass, that every one that is bitten, when he looketh upon it, shall live. And Moses made a serpent of brass, and put it upon a pole, and it came to pass, that if a serpent had bitten any man, when he beheld the serpent of brass, he lived. (Num 21:8,9)

The Bible says that ALL have sinned and come short of the glory of God. And that is represented by those who were bitten by serpents in the wilderness. Therefore ALL sinners can look upon Christ -- who was made sin for us -- and be saved. But not all will be saved, because not all will obey the Gospel. The Bible is crystal clear that Christ died for the sins OF THE WHOLE WORLD. Not just His sheep. But only those who obey the Gospel become His sheep.

So to deny that Christ died for the sins of the whole world is to deny the Gospel of God. And we know that He died for all since He offers salvation to all:For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved. (Jn 3:17)

Last edited:
Reactions: justbyfaith

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
If the cross of the Christ was for everyone, then God’s wrath for everyone’s sins has been appeased.
PROVIDED they (1) repent and (2) believe on the Lord Jesus Christ. So how does this fundamental Gospel truth elude your grasp.

Furthermore since Christ is called the Lamb of God which taketh away THE SIN OF THE WORLD, you are actually contradicting the Bible and Gospel truth.

APAK

Feb 4, 2018
Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Us, no, but to the Jews Jesus was preaching to, definitely. Jesus was conceived of the seed of the Father, therefore he couldn't sin. When we are born again of the Spirit of Christ, we also receive the seed of the Father and cannot sin. 1 John 3:9.
Excellent short post..APAK

Reactions: 1stCenturyLady

Preacher4Truth

Feb 15, 2019
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Fairness is getting what we deserve. If God withholds His grace from someone(something He has done and is doing and will do later up until the last day), that doesn’t make Him unfair. What you’re equating as unfairness is actually accusing Him of being unjust. What shall we say then? There is no injustice with God, is there? May it never be![Romans 9:14]
They think if God exercises justice on a person, damning them eternally, without giving them "a chance" to vote themselves into heaven in their own ability, then he's a monster, unjust, unfair, the author of evil, not God &c &c &c. It just goes to show they have no fear of accusing God of anything, or, they don't know him, or, they are doing so in ignorance.

They don't see the whole world condemned, lost, under wrath, and deserving of justice, and God, biblically, exercising mercy on whom he wills. To them, that is injustice. They only see them as lost "for" rejecting Christ, which is asinine, when Scripture says they're lost and condemned before ever even hearing of him, which is why we have Romans 10:5-21; Ephesians 2:3; and 2 Timothy 2:8-10.

Reactions: SovereignGrace

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
They think if God exercises justice on a person, damning them eternally, without giving them "a chance" to vote themselves into heaven in their own ability, then he's a monster, unjust, unfair, the author of evil, not God &c &c &c. It just goes to show they have no fear of accusing God of anything, or, they don't know him, or, they are doing so in ignorance.
This is total NONSENSE since God does not decree anyone for damnation.

And you, and every Calvinist, had to come to the cross by repentance toward God and faith toward our Lord Jesus Christ. If not, then you were not saved. If so, then you too "voted yourself" in.

Preacher4Truth

Feb 15, 2019
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So there is no need for the call to salvation, neither a response to the same...a person is saved from conception and does not need to be born again?

Because from my perspective, there is something that we do to enter into salvation:

Rom 10:13, For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved.
This is untrue, but it's never stopped you in the past. That and you did nothing to enter into salvation, but, that hasn't stopped you from congratulating yourself either.

But hey, at least you didn't misuse Romans 5:2 this time. :D

It is mysterious in a sense, that all the elect were/are under wrath, like the rest of mankind; Ephesians 2:3, yet all the elect will be saved in time; John 6:37-39.

Reactions: SovereignGrace