Why was Jesus crucified?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

07-07-07

Nov 18, 2018
Rust Belt
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Simply answered, for the sins of the world is why Jesus was crucified. This is what Jesus said to a Pharisee named Nicodemus:

John 3
[17] For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.
[18] He that believeth on him is not condemned: but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God.
[19] And this is the condemnation, that light is come into the world, and men loved darkness rather than light, because their deeds were evil.
[20] For every one that doeth evil hateth the light, neither cometh to the light, lest his deeds should be reproved. (KJV)

So, what does God deem to be evil deeds that defile people? This is Jesus speaking again:

Mark 7
[20] And He [Jesus] said, "What comes out of a man, that defiles a man.
[21] For from within, out of the heart of men, proceed evil thoughts, adulteries, fornications, murders,
[22] thefts, covetousness, wickedness, deceit, lewdness, an evil eye, blasphemy, pride, foolishness.
[23] All these evil things come from within and defile a man." (NKJV)

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Simply answered, for the sins of the world is why Jesus was crucified. This is what Jesus said to a Pharisee named Nicodemus:

John 3
[17] For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.
[18] He that believeth on him is not condemned: but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God.
[19] And this is the condemnation, that light is come into the world, and men loved darkness rather than light, because their deeds were evil.
[20] For every one that doeth evil hateth the light, neither cometh to the light, lest his deeds should be reproved. (KJV)

So, what does God deem to be evil deeds that defile people? This is Jesus speaking again:

Mark 7
[20] And He [Jesus] said, "What comes out of a man, that defiles a man.
[21] For from within, out of the heart of men, proceed evil thoughts, adulteries, fornications, murders,
[22] thefts, covetousness, wickedness, deceit, lewdness, an evil eye, blasphemy, pride, foolishness.
[23] All these evil things come from within and defile a man." (NKJV)
I think the leaders were jealous of Jesus, so they had him crucified.

07-07-07

Nov 18, 2018
Rust Belt
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think the leaders were jealous of Jesus, so they had him crucified.
There may have been jealousy involved. For sure, the Jewish establishment used Roman laws to have Jesus crucified. Pontius Pilate wanted to let Jesus go, but the Jewish establishment egged him on to crucify Jesus.

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There may have been jealousy involved. For sure, the Jewish establishment used Roman laws to have Jesus crucified. Pontius Pilate wanted to let Jesus go, but the Jewish establishment egged him on to crucify Jesus.
Pontius didn't seem to have much of a backbone.

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia

Why was Jesus crucified?​

If you're asking specifically about crucifixion, it was because crucifixion was a slow torturous death. The Romans invented it for that purpose. Jesus was pushed to the limits of human endurance. He literally died of a ruptured heart because of stress. The pooled blood on his diaphragm and after a while separated into its constituent components, plasma and red cells. It appeared as water and blood when the soldier pierced his side.

What was the stress about? Men and demons did their best to get Jesus to give up. To call for help (ten thousand angels) but no, he would rather die than save himself. The Devil had hoped to exploit the self preservation instinct just as he tried with the temptations in the desert.
How long suffering is God? He never gives up. He would rather give his life than give up which he could easily have done. This was witnessed by the whole intelligent Universe and so Satan's claims that God is selfish was debunked. That's why he didn't die in Gethsemane. On Calvary, Jesus was pushed to the absolute limits of endurance....and the watching Universe noted it.
What Is Blood Made Of | Community Blood Center

Reactions: Brakelite

face2face

Jun 22, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
The Devil had hoped to exploit the self preservation instinct just as he tried with the temptations in the desert.
A couple of assumptions here quiet.
1. Devil to mean human nature or some make believe imaginary agent of evil?
2. Its more likely the temptations were internal than external.
Still be interested in your thoughts on that.
None of the above speaks to why Jesus had to be crucified.

There are a number of reasons.

1. To declare the righteousness of God (his Father) Romans 3:25

whom God put forward as a propitiation by his blood, to be received by faith. This was to show God’s righteousness, because in his divine forbearance he had passed over former sins.

Why did God need to declare what is right in Jesus?

F2F

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
A couple of assumptions here quiet.
1. Devil to mean human nature or some make believe imaginary agent of evil?
2. Its more likely the temptations were internal than external.
Still be interested in your thoughts on that.
None of the above speaks to why Jesus had to be crucified.

There are a number of reasons.

1. To declare the righteousness of God (his Father) Romans 3:25

whom God put forward as a propitiation by his blood, to be received by faith. This was to show God’s righteousness, because in his divine forbearance he had passed over former sins.

Why did God need to declare what is right in Jesus?

F2F
The whole exercise of God's condescension to be human, to sojourn amongst us and to be be rejected by his own creatures speaks of God's tenderness, longsuffering and the value of his creatures to him. Our treatment of him speaks of our hate of righteousness.
The parable of the unjust tenants reveals this.

1....Jesus made it clear the Devil is a reality, not just something imagined. Jesus identified the serpent in Eden.
2 ...Yes, the internal stresses no doubt outweighed the external....the combination, deadly.

1....Jesus is (present tense) God's declaration/ revelation....his whole reality. The voice at his baptism confirmed it as it did on the Mount of Transfiguration

face2face

Jun 22, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
The whole exercise of God's condescension to be human, to sojourn amongst us and to be be rejected by his own creatures speaks of God's tenderness, longsuffering and the value of his creatures to him.
Interesting I took you for a real thinker!
Rather than condescension, take your mind to condemnation.

Jesus was under the condemnation of death like all of us, and in him God had to condemn something.

3 For what the law was powerless to do because it was weakened by the flesh,[a] God did by sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh to be a sin offering And so he condemned sin in the flesh.

How did God condemn sin in the flesh of His son?

Think quiet thinker! think carefully...but dont draw on Niceane Creed doctrines - you will need to search the Scripture with a clear mind.

F2F

face2face

Jun 22, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
John 8.44
And what is the false accuser Jesus is alludiong to?

You belong to your father, the devil, and you want to carry out your father’s desires. He was a murderer from the beginning, not holding to the truth, for there is no truth in him. When he lies, he speaks his native language, for he is a liar and the father of lies.

So its obvious Jesus is referring to the Serpent in the Garden yeah? The first lie is recorded there!

Where is your supernatural feiry being?

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
John 8.44
@face2face....further Revelation 12:9 20:2
Interesting I took you for a real thinker!
Rather than condescension, take your mind to condemnation.

Jesus was under the condemnation of death like all of us, and in him God had to condemn something.

3 For what the law was powerless to do because it was weakened by the flesh,[a] God did by sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh to be a sin offering And so he condemned sin in the flesh.

How did God condemn sin in the flesh of His son?

Think quiet thinker! think carefully...but dont draw on Niceane Creed doctrines - you will need to search the Scripture with a clear mind.

F2F
Why be condescending in your post F2F.....just consider me a dumb ass and be content.....then you wont need to keep up the unsolicited advice :)

face2face

Jun 22, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Revelation is highly sysmbolic and these title such as devil, satan dragon etc all reference various powers in the earth.
I'm looking for the foundation of your doctrine - take me to Genesis to show your understanding.
F2F

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
And what is the false accuser Jesus is alludiong to?

You belong to your father, the devil, and you want to carry out your father’s desires. He was a murderer from the beginning, not holding to the truth, for there is no truth in him. When he lies, he speaks his native language, for he is a liar and the father of lies.

So its obvious Jesus is referring to the Serpent in the Garden yeah? The first lie is recorded there!

Where is your supernatural feiry being?
Believe as you wish F2F ....I'm not into jumping through anyones hoops to entertain them.

face2face

Jun 22, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia

Why be condescending in your post F2F.....just consider me a dumb ass and be content.....then you wont need to keep up the unsolicited advice :)
Maybe you should stop behaving like one quiet and start thinking about what you think you believe. You believe in a being which has no origin story in the Bible - nowhere to be found and you blindly expect me to except this like I'm a dumb ass?
F2F

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Revelation is highly sysmbolic and these title such as devil, satan dragon etc all reference various powers in the earth.
I'm looking for the foundation of your doctrine - take me to Genesis to show your understanding.
F2F
Jesus is the foundation. 1 Corinthians 3:11

Reactions: face2face

face2face

Jun 22, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Believe as you wish F2F ....I'm not into jumping through anyones hoops to entertain them.
Dont drop the ball quiet...you have been sold a lie and I am saying "challenge it!" go looking for the origin story and if you can't find one ask some more questions and ask a few more. You will work it out I am sure!
F2F