WHY?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

marksman

My eldest granddaughter showing the result of her
Feb 27, 2008
Melbourne Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
So if Jesus said you are the light of the world and to let your light shine before others we are not to obey this since its the only time Jesus said it , is that your position ?
I am not going to answer stupid questions.

marksman

Feb 27, 2008
Melbourne Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Let me ask you a similar question:

At what point should one stop revering the temple of stone and start revering the temple of Jesus's body; and when should one stop keeping the Sabbath practice, and start keeping the Lord of the Sabbath; and when should one stop sacrificing lambs, and receive the sacrifice of the Lamb of God?

The answer to your question is the same.

Even so, none of these are wrong for teaching.
The thread is about water baptism. I have no intention of answering 500 questions about other subjects.

marksman

Feb 27, 2008
Melbourne Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Since Jesus is God and He said to baptize them in the name of the Father, Son and Holy Spirit in the Great Commission in Matthew 28:19-20 we obey His commands. Are you saying its wrong to baptize in the name of the Father, Son and Holy Spirit ?
I have answered your question multiple times.

1stCenturyLady

Jun 26, 2018
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Read my post. YOU DO NOT make a doctrine out of one verse of scripture.
Right. Some people say we MUST be baptized in the name of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit, while 'Jesus only' people say that's wrong, and if you have been you must be rebaptized in the name of Jesus only. But that verse was for those who had only had been baptized for the repentance of sin by John the Baptist. Now instead of just for repentance, we must recognize the death and resurrection of our Lord, Jesus Christ. Either Father, Son and Holy Spirit, or just in the name of Jesus are both okay. I prefer all three, just as long as the Son, Jesus is included, that's all that matters.

gpresdo

Jul 22, 2023
Paducah Kentucky
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Last week I read that there were 44,000 denominations. That in itself must make God cry. But that is not the subject of this post. What I want to ask is WHY most of them ignore the teaching of baptism and impose their own interpretation.

I will start with what happened at Pentecost where it says in Acts 2 v 38, Then Peter said to them "Repent and let everyone of you be baptized in the NAME OF JESUS CHRIST for the remission of sins, and you shall receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.

Jesus baptism Matthew 3 V 16. and when Jesus was baptized, immediately he went up from the water and behold, the heavens were open to him.

John 3 v 23. John was also baptizing at Aenon near Salim because water was plentiful there

Matthew 28 v 19. Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit.

Acts 8 v 36 And as they were going along the road, they came to some water and the eunuch said "See here is water! What prevents me from being baptized? And he commanded the chariot to stop, and they both went down INTO the water, Phillip and the eunuch, and he baptized him.

Acts 10 v 48. And he commanded them to be baptized in the NAME OF JESUS CHRIST.

Romans 6 V 3. Do you not know that all of us who have been baptized INTO CHRIST JESUS were baptized into his death?

Galatians 3 v 27. For as many as you were baptized INTO CHRIST have put on Christ.

Matthew 3 v 6. And they were baptized by him in the River Jordan, confessing their sins.

In the New Testament, baptism was in the name or into the name of Jesus, always by immersion, always when there was plenty of water available.

Only ONCE are we told to baptize in the name of the father, the son, and the holy spirit. and as we know we never make a doctrine out of one verse of scripture. Therefore the overwhelming evidence is that you baptize by immersion in the name of Jesus or Jesus Christ. One final point nowhere in scripture do you baptize a baby by sprinkling water over its head.

So the question is why do we ignore the scripture on this subject and replace it with our own version?

There are many more references;

Baptism is Required

Peter 3: 21.... whereunto even baptism doth also now save us...

John 3:5 .......Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God.

Acts 2;38-....Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.

Acts 22;16... And now why tarriest thou? arise, and be baptized, and wash away thy sins, calling on the name of the Lord.

Galations 3:26...... For ye are all the children of God by faith in Christ Jesus.
27 For as many of you as have been baptized into Christ have put on Christ.

KJV Marrk 16:16 He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned.

KJV Matthew 3:14... But John forbad him, saying, I have need to be baptized of thee, and comest thou to me? 15. Jesus answering said unto him, Suffer it to be so now, for thus it becometh us to fulfil all rightesousness. Then He suffered Him.

KJV Matthew 28:19..... Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:.

Acts 10;47-48...
47 Can any man forbid water, that these should not be baptized, which have received the Holy Ghost as well as we?
48 And he commanded them to be baptized in the name of the Lord. Then prayed they him to tarry certain days.
Acts 8:12-18: But when they believed Philip as he preached the things concerning the kingdom of God and the name of Jesus Christ, both men and women were baptized.

Acts 19:4 And Paul said, “John baptized with the baptism of repentance, telling the people to believe in the one who was to come after him, that is, Jesus.”

John 3; 22 After these things came Jesus and his disciples into the land of Judaea; and there he tarried with them, and baptized.
23 And John also was baptizing in Aenon near to Salim, because there was much water there: and they came, and were baptized.

Quote from Billy Graham that is note worthy;
....Also, to clarify I did not say remission of sin takes place at repentance. Scripture makes it clear that it occurs upon obedience to water baptism in the name of the Lord Jesus. Each is a step of faith, along with receiving the Holy Ghost, in the process of one's spiritual rebirth

.."Paul explains the doctrinal significance of what occurs when one is baptized.His explanation is found in his letter to those who had already been obedient to the command.

Paul tells the Roman Christians what actually occurred when they were/are baptized; they were baptized into His death. Being buried with Jesus into His death resulted in their sin being destroyed.

Even though Paul explains this concept, the NEW AGE RELIGION TEACHING is......... that water baptism is nothing other than a mere public display.......... And that is so far removed from the truth.

Keep in mind that Satan knows if he can continue to perpetuate that lie ...... he can keep people from entering the kingdom of God. Thus He has proven scripture which says ...in the end times there will be ...great delusions.....they are here.

Conclusion....teaching that baptism is not necessary is violation of Rev. 22;19.... And if any man shall take away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God shall take away his part out of the book of life, and out of the holy city, and from the things which are written in this book. 20 He which testifieth these things saith, Surely I come quickly. Amen. Even so, come, Lord Jesus. (Also two other books of the Bible).

gpresdo

Jul 22, 2023
Paducah Kentucky
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Last week I read that there were 44,000 denominations. That in itself must make God cry. But that is not the subject of this post. What I want to ask is WHY most of them ignore the teaching of baptism and impose their own interpretation.

I will start with what happened at Pentecost where it says in Acts 2 v 38, Then Peter said to them "Repent and let everyone of you be baptized in the NAME OF JESUS CHRIST for the remission of sins, and you shall receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.

Jesus baptism Matthew 3 V 16. and when Jesus was baptized, immediately he went up from the water and behold, the heavens were open to him.

John 3 v 23. John was also baptizing at Aenon near Salim because water was plentiful there

Matthew 28 v 19. Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit.

Acts 8 v 36 And as they were going along the road, they came to some water and the eunuch said "See here is water! What prevents me from being baptized? And he commanded the chariot to stop, and they both went down INTO the water, Phillip and the eunuch, and he baptized him.

Acts 10 v 48. And he commanded th)m to be baptized in the NAME OF JESUS CHRIST.

Romans 6 V 3. Do you not know that all of us who have been baptized INTO CHRIST JESUS were baptized into his death?

Galatians 3 v 27. For as many as you were baptized INTO CHRIST have put on Christ.

Matthew 3 v 6. And they were baptized by him in the River Jordan, confessing their sins.

In the New Testament, baptism was in the name or into the name of Jesus, always by immersion, always when there was plenty of water available.

Only ONCE are we told to baptize in the name of the father, the son, and the holy spirit. and as we know we never make a doctrine out of one verse of scripture. Therefore the overwhelming evidence is that you baptize by immersion in the name of Jesus or Jesus Christ. One final point nowhere in scripture do you baptize a baby by sprinkling water over its head.

So the question is why do we ignore the scripture on this subject and replace it with our own version?

There is a wide spread...... new age religion movement...... decades old now, that has the objective to change God's word.
We see it in many ways. It began in the 1960's ;.....

OSAS...once saved always saved.

Baptism is not necessary, (and highly suggest/infers that you may drown or get wet and that baptism will stop you from being saved at God;s judgment, that it is works, but repentance is not works)

Universalism...all will be saved upon God;s judgment.

Individual Repentance is not necessary....(a new one). Christ did that for you on the cross and is automatic when you commit the sin, with citation of John 3;16

More new ones on the way...I assure you.

It should be noted that if a soul believes any of these teachings they will receive the benefit of the common feature of the thread which is ...the loss of salvation. BEWARE!

Last edited: