WHY?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

marksman

My eldest granddaughter showing the result of her
Feb 27, 2008
Melbourne Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Last week I read that there were 44,000 denominations. That in itself must make God cry. But that is not the subject of this post. What I want to ask is WHY most of them ignore the teaching of baptism and impose their own interpretation.

I will start with what happened at Pentecost where it says in Acts 2 v 38, Then Peter said to them "Repent and let everyone of you be baptized in the NAME OF JESUS CHRIST for the remission of sins, and you shall receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.

Jesus baptism Matthew 3 V 16. and when Jesus was baptized, immediately he went up from the water and behold, the heavens were open to him.

John 3 v 23. John was also baptizing at Aenon near Salim because water was plentiful there

Matthew 28 v 19. Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit.

Acts 8 v 36 And as they were going along the road, they came to some water and the eunuch said "See here is water! What prevents me from being baptized? And he commanded the chariot to stop, and they both went down INTO the water, Phillip and the eunuch, and he baptized him.

Acts 10 v 48. And he commanded them to be baptized in the NAME OF JESUS CHRIST.

Romans 6 V 3. Do you not know that all of us who have been baptized INTO CHRIST JESUS were baptized into his death?

Galatians 3 v 27. For as many as you were baptized INTO CHRIST have put on Christ.

Matthew 3 v 6. And they were baptized by him in the River Jordan, confessing their sins.

In the New Testament, baptism was in the name or into the name of Jesus, always by immersion, always when there was plenty of water available.

Only ONCE are we told to baptize in the name of the father, the son, and the holy spirit. and as we know we never make a doctrine out of one verse of scripture. Therefore the overwhelming evidence is that you baptize by immersion in the name of Jesus or Jesus Christ. One final point nowhere in scripture do you baptize a baby by sprinkling water over its head.

So the question is why do we ignore the scripture on this subject and replace it with our own version?

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Last week I read that there were 44,000 denominations. That in itself must make God cry. But that is not the subject of this post. What I want to ask is WHY most of them ignore the teaching of baptism and impose their own interpretation.

I will start with what happened at Pentecost where it says in Acts 2 v 38, Then Peter said to them "Repent and let everyone of you be baptized in the NAME OF JESUS CHRIST for the remission of sins, and you shall receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.

Jesus baptism Matthew 3 V 16. and when Jesus was baptized, immediately he went up from the water and behold, the heavens were open to him.

John 3 v 23. John was also baptizing at Aenon near Salim because water was plentiful there

Matthew 28 v 19. Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit.

Acts 8 v 36 And as they were going along the road, they came to some water and the eunuch said "See here is water! What prevents me from being baptized? And he commanded the chariot to stop, and they both went down INTO the water, Phillip and the eunuch, and he baptized him.

Romans 6 V 3. Do you not know that all of us who have been baptized INTO CHRIST JESUS were baptized into his death?

Galatians 3 v 27. For as many as you were baptized INTO CHRIST have put on Christ.

Matthew 3 v 6. And they were baptized by him in the River Jordan, confessing their sins.

In the New Testament, baptism was in the name or into the name of Jesus, always by immersion, always when there was plenty of water available.

Only ONCE are we told to baptize in the name of the father, the son, and the holy spirit. and as we know we never make a doctrine out of one verse of scripture. Therefore the overwhelming evidence is that you baptize by immersion in the name of Jesus or Jesus Christ. One final point nowhere in scripture do you baptize a baby by sprinkling water over its head.

So the question is why do we ignore the scripture on this subject and replace it with our own version?

It makes no sense for sure, but the Bible gives the why. The primary explanation is:
(2 Corinthians 4:3, 4) . . .the good news we declare is veiled, it is veiled among those who are perishing, 4 among whom the god of this system of things has blinded the minds of the unbelievers, so that the illumination of the glorious good news about the Christ, who is the image of God, might not shine through.

marksman

Feb 27, 2008
Melbourne Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
It makes no sense for sure, but the Bible gives the why. The primary explanation is:
(2 Corinthians 4:3, 4) . . .the good news we declare is veiled, it is veiled among those who are perishing, 4 among whom the god of this system of things has blinded the minds of the unbelievers, so that the illumination of the glorious good news about the Christ, who is the image of God, might not shine through.
What has that got to do with baptism?

Brakelite

Feb 6, 2020
Melbourne
brakelite.wordpress.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia

We could ask the question 'why?' to any number of doctrines pertaining to those so called 44,000 denominations. How many of those denominations agree on everything... And if they do agree on everything,, "why?" are they separated? But, that's a digression from the OP so you may ignore my waffling. I'm not convinced however there are 44,000 denominations. And even if there were, is that necessarily a bad thing? Oh, sorry, another digression.

Brakelite

Feb 6, 2020
Melbourne
brakelite.wordpress.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Apart from the above, regarding baptism, I agree with you. I might add however that if one is baptized in the name of all members of the Godhead, God is not going to ignore the sincere expression of faith from any repentant sinner.

Reactions: Nancy

ButterflyJones

Feb 19, 2023
USA
youtube.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We could ask the question 'why?' to any number of doctrines pertaining to those so called 44,000 denominations. How many of those denominations agree on everything... And if they do agree on everything,, "why?" are they separated? But, that's a digression from the OP so you may ignore my waffling. I'm not convinced however there are 44,000 denominations. And even if there were, is that necessarily a bad thing? Oh, sorry, another digression.
We could ask why of any religious person.

Why does a supreme power require worship and our concession, obedience, to rules we're told they set down in order to reiterate their dominion and sovereignty?

Why are we told we need follow the rules in any holy book in order to please what we're told inspired its writing so that we know it is there?
God is a Spirit: and they that worship him must worship him in spirit and in truth.

Patrick1966

Dec 21, 2022
Orlando, Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Last week I read that there were 44,000 denominations. That in itself must make God cry.
Are you talking about Christian denominations?

You can ask a million Christians a bunch of questions about what they believe and you'll likely get a million different responses. What's important is that they believe in Jesus, obey his commandments, and love one another.

Zachariah

Mar 20, 2023
Belief in government = belief in slavery.
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Baptism is symbolic ritual. If you do not understand the symboligy and the true spiritual meanings behind it, you are simply just playing games. Baptism, once understood correctly can be a choice. You don't have to get baptised in order to have a relationship with god, just like if your married you don't have to wear your wedding ring. Its un fortunate, but not many people spiritualy make it to a stage of baptism. Most people who get baptised now days haven't reached this stage of spiritual maturity. Getting baptised doesn't magicly give you spiritual maturity either. People get married but aren't really committed. Most people actually. And their are those who are committed and mature enough to live a long life, who choose not to have a marriage ceremony.

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
It is the recorded words of Christ, and the context in which they were stated, which has taught all Christians since the time of the apostles to baptize in the Name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit. What Christ spoke and commanded supersedes everything else. And perhaps "in the name of Jesus Christ" was simply a summation of what He actually said.

MATTHEW 28: THE GREAT COMMISSION
18 And Jesus came and spake unto them, saying, All power is given unto me in heaven and in earth.

19 Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:
20 Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you alway, even unto the end of the world. Amen.

Now all you have to do is go to the Didache (2nd century) and see that this is exactly how Christians were being baptized. Justin Martyr (who unfortunately introduced baptismal regeneration) also confirmed what was in the Didache (and he too is from the 2nd century):

"I will also relate the manner in which we dedicated ourselves to God when we had been made new through Christ; lest, if we omit this, we seem to be unfair in the explanation we are making. As many as are persuaded and believe that what we teach and say is true, and undertake to be able to live accordingly, are instructed to pray and to entreat God with fasting, for the remission of their sins that are past, we praying and fasting with them. Then they are brought by us where there is water, and are regenerated in the same manner in which we were ourselves regenerated. For, in the name of God, the Father and Lord of the universe, and of our Saviour Jesus Christ, and of the Holy Spirit, they then receive the washing with water..."

So your objection actually hold no water.

Reactions: 1stCenturyLady

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It actually had to do with your mentioning of 44k denominations. In the verses you mentioned, were you aware there were 2 different types of baptism Marksman? What are they sir?

marksman

Feb 27, 2008
Melbourne Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
It actually had to do with your mentioning of 44k denominations. In the verses you mentioned, were you aware there were 2 different types of baptism Marksman? What are they sir?
Don't ask questions you know the answer to. It makes you sound silly.

marksman

Feb 27, 2008
Melbourne Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
It is the recorded words of Christ, and the context in which they were stated, which has taught all Christians since the time of the apostles to baptize in the Name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit. What Christ spoke and commanded supersedes everything else. And perhaps "in the name of Jesus Christ" was simply a summation of what He actually said.

MATTHEW 28: THE GREAT COMMISSION
18 And Jesus came and spake unto them, saying, All power is given unto me in heaven and in earth.

19 Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:
20 Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you alway, even unto the end of the world. Amen.

Now all you have to do is go to the Didache (2nd century) and see that this is exactly how Christians were being baptized. Justin Martyr (who unfortunately introduced baptismal regeneration) also confirmed what was in the Didache (and he too is from the 2nd century):

"I will also relate the manner in which we dedicated ourselves to God when we had been made new through Christ; lest, if we omit this, we seem to be unfair in the explanation we are making. As many as are persuaded and believe that what we teach and say is true, and undertake to be able to live accordingly, are instructed to pray and to entreat God with fasting, for the remission of their sins that are past, we praying and fasting with them. Then they are brought by us where there is water, and are regenerated in the same manner in which we were ourselves regenerated. For, in the name of God, the Father and Lord of the universe, and of our Saviour Jesus Christ, and of the Holy Spirit, they then receive the washing with water..."

So your objection actually hold no water.
Read my post. YOU DO NOT make a doctrine out of one verse of scripture.

marksman

Feb 27, 2008
Melbourne Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Are you talking about Christian denominations?

You can ask a million Christians a bunch of questions about what they believe and you'll likely get a million different responses. What's important is that they believe in Jesus, obey his commandments, and love one another.
If you say so.

marksman

Feb 27, 2008
Melbourne Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia

marksman

Feb 27, 2008
Melbourne Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I prefer to go to the Word of God.