Winter/Summer solstice

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Cristo Rei

Apr 30, 2020
In Christ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I dont know where else to throw this so I just put it here. Its not really a debate

In the southern hemisphere we are approaching our shortest day of the year on June 21.
In the Northern hemisphere it will be the longest day of the year.
December 21 is when the opposite occurs.

So I'm curious to see what times the sun is rising and setting where you live.

This cool website gives us accurate information
Sunrise and sunset times in Somerset, June 2022

On June 21 the sun will rise here at 7.41am and set at 4.54pm. This gives us only 9h13m of sunlight. In the summer solstice we have over 15 hours of sunlight.
I live in the south of Australia so we have the shortest/longest days in our country.

The closer you are to the poles the shorter and longer your solstice days and nights will be. In the Arctic and Antarctic circles the sun never sets in the summer solstice. I doubt anyone on here is living there.

If your wondering, Sunrise is the moment when all of the sun is above the horizon and sunset is the moment when all of the sun is below the horizon.

So what's happening where you live?
How long is your day? What is the ideal day length? I think the longer the better
What are some advantages and disadvantages? It's dark when I start work and shortly after I finish work.
Who has the longest/shortest days? I'm guessing Canadians would. Scandinavians too.

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I used to work with a guy who had been an Air Force radarman during the Cold War days. One of his duty posts was a DEW radar station in northern Alaska up near the Arctic circle where his job was to maintain the equipment that watched for incoming Russian ICBMs coming over the Pole. He has a picture of him and his cohorts playing baseball outside in the summer twilight - at 0:00 A.M. midnight.

That was summer. In the winter, they'd get at best an hour of twilight around noon, and you bloody well didn't go outside if you didn't have to.

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Here in the U.S., we turn the clocks ahead one hour from mid-March through early November. This time of year, it stays daylight at my latitude until almost 9 P.M. I like being able to get in a bike ride after work in the summer. I could even squeeze in 18 holes of golf. (That was before I had conference calls with Japan/China/Korea four nights a week.) The disadvantage is in early spring/fall, the sun doesn't rise until about 7:30 - 8:00, and I don't feel like getting out of bed in the dark. Much to the chagrin of the Sneaky Labrador, who needs to go outside and do her doggie business.

lforrest

Staff member
Admin
Aug 10, 2012
Faith
Christian
Wonder how the flat earthers explain different times for sunrise/sunset based on geo location.

Reactions: Cristo Rei

Cristo Rei

Apr 30, 2020
In Christ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Here in the U.S., we turn the clocks ahead one hour from mid-March through early November. This time of year, it stays daylight at my latitude until almost 9 P.M. I like being able to get in a bike ride after work in the summer. I could even squeeze in 18 holes of golf. (That was before I had conference calls with Japan/China/Korea four nights a week.) The disadvantage is in early spring/fall, the sun doesn't rise until about 7:30 - 8:00, and I don't feel like getting out of bed in the dark. Much to the chagrin of the Sneaky Labrador, who needs to go outside and do her doggie business.

That is similar to here. In summer there is still daylight at 9pm. It's good cos you can still do stuff after dinner like go to the beach or play golf as you suggested.

Last edited:

Cristo Rei

Apr 30, 2020
In Christ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Wonder how the flat earthers explain different times for sunrise/sunset based on geo location.

They don't. One of my good friends is a flat earther and I'm always debunking him in different ways. Recently I asked him to explain the winter solstice on his flat earth model but he was unable to.

I'm happy to debate any flat earther. I was going to make this a flat earth thread but decided not to.

Last edited:
Reactions: JohnPaul and Rita