Word Study

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

CharismaticLady

Jun 13, 2019
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
9 No one born (begotten) of God [deliberately, knowingly, and habitually] practices sin, for God’s nature abides in him [His principle of life, the divine sperm, remains permanently within him]; and he cannot practice sinning because he is born (begotten) of God.

The literal translation is commit, not practice. That means even once.

Prayer Warrior

Sep 20, 2018
U.S.A.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Let me ask you something. is 1 John 1:6 a Christian? Will they go to heaven?
I could ask you the same question about 1 John 1:7 . Is this talking about Christians?

1 Jn 1:7 (AMPC)--But if we [really] are living and walking in the Light, as He [Himself] is in the Light, we have [true, unbroken] fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus Christ His Son cleanses (removes) us from all sin and guilt [keeps us cleansed from sin in all its forms and manifestations].

CharismaticLady

Jun 13, 2019
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I only mentioned 2 for reference.

I don't really like to get into discussion of who has what gift. But I do believe that God gives us supernatural ability as it pleases Him, that these giftings are taught several places in the Bible, that not everyone has any particular gift, and that they are intended to function apart from our own talents and abilities.

I don't really parse between them, though recognizing that they are different, and operate differently. But I see everyone's life with God so completely personalized, that's what I like about MacArthur's description of the painter's palette. Man, it seem so strange to say that . . . "what I liked about MacArthur's". What joy!

Much love!

To be more specific, have you been given any or one of these? I'm just asking to know if you are a born again, Spirit-filled Cessationist, or a born again, Spirit-filled Charismatic. I believe both will be in heaven, just would like to know for sure:

Mark 16:
17 And these signs will follow those who believe: In My name they will cast out demons; they will speak with new tongues; 18 they will take up serpents; and if they drink anything deadly, it will by no means hurt them; they will lay hands on the sick, and they will recover.”

1 Corinthians 12:8-10
8 for to one is given the word of wisdom through the Spirit, to another the word of knowledge through the same Spirit, 9 to another faith by the same Spirit, to another gifts of healings by the same Spirit, 10 to another the working of miracles, to another prophecy, to another discerning of spirits, to another different kinds of tongues, to another the interpretation of tongues.

CharismaticLady

Jun 13, 2019
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Paul went to bed knowing that he was the chief of sinners (1 Timothy 1:15. Note the Present Tense), but also knowing that all his sins, past, present and future were washed away by the blood of Christ (Acts 13:39 etc.). But this knowledge did not encourage him to sin all the more (Romans 6:1-2); on the contrary, it encouraged him to resist sin (Romans 6:12-14) and to to seek, in the power of the Spirit, to put to death the relic of sin which survives, not in the heart of the believer, but in his mortal body (Colossians 3:5).

Yes, I know that is what you believe. :(

CharismaticLady

Jun 13, 2019
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I could ask you the same question about 1 John 1:7 . Is this talking about Christians?

1 Jn 1:7 (AMPC)--But if we [really] are living and walking in the Light, as He [Himself] is in the Light, we have [true, unbroken] fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus Christ His Son cleanses (removes) us from all sin and guilt [keeps us cleansed from sin in all its forms and manifestations].

Yes, 1 John 1:7 is about a Christian. So answer my question. Again - Is 1 John 1:6 about a Christian, and will they be in heaven for eternity?

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I have never read or heard anyone teach that the 1st chapter of 1 John is written to unbelievers. I usually don't consult commentaries, but I checked 5 or 6 out to see what they say. The ones I looked at do not support your view on this. I believe that your statement, "that 1 John 1:9 is to BECOME a Christian" is incorrect.
I'll follow this through with you if you like.

I too was taught for years of the "Christian's bar of soap", but I don't believe that's what God means here.

I'd like to suggest in the first place that when John writes "we", it is inclusive, and does not mean just believers.

John says, "if we say we have no sin", and, "if we say we have not sinned". These are not those who have confessed their sin. In saying that we have not sinned, this is the opposite of confession (say the same).

Much love!

Reactions: CharismaticLady

Prayer Warrior

Sep 20, 2018
U.S.A.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes, 1 John 1:7 is about a Christian. So answer my question. Again - Is 1 John 1:6 about a Christian, and will they be in heaven for eternity?
I'm confused. I thought you were saying that the 1st chapter of 1 John doesn't apply to Christians, that it was not written to Christians.

CharismaticLady

Jun 13, 2019
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'm confused. I thought you were saying that the 1st chapter of 1 John doesn't apply to Christians, that it was not written to Christians.

I said it was written TO Christians, but not all verses are ABOUT a Christian. So is 1 John 1:6 a Christian?

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What I believe has become a dangerous doctrine is OSAS. Also when are we "saved;" at the beginning or at the end?
We have passed from death into life. We have been transfered from the kingdom of darkness to the kingdom of His beloved Son. That you may know you have eternal life. Like that.

Someone may fool themself, and think they have passed from death to life, I would ask, where then is that life?

Much love!

Reactions: CharismaticLady

CharismaticLady

Jun 13, 2019
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I agree that not all of it is about Christians.

1 John 1:6, 8 and 10 are not Christians. Like @marks said, they have never repented. And 1 John 1:9, I see, as what is necessary to become a Christian. Those who are His He gives His Spirit to to walk in and not commit willful sins of lawlessness, and as you grow in the Spirit you will automatically forgive those that trespass against you, and thus remain sinless. But it takes time to grow to that level of maturity. But while you are growing, just remember to finally bite the bullet and forgive those who trespass against you.

CharismaticLady

Jun 13, 2019
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We have passed from death into life. We have been transfered from the kingdom of darkness to the kingdom of His beloved Son. That you may know you have eternal life. Like that.

Someone may fool themself, and think they have passed from death to life, I would ask, where then is that life?

Much love!

I feel God's "assurance." I just don't like the modern twist on OSAS that some teach or believe. As Jude says it turns the grace of God into lasciviousness.

CharismaticLady

Jun 13, 2019
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So he's semi-cessationist??

?

He believes in the gifts from the Father and the Son, but not the Holy Spirit. Go figure! That means he doesn't know about Covenant Theology, that like the first covenant, not a jot or a tittle will cease until all is fulfilled. We are still inside the New Covenant, and nothing will cease until Christ comes again and we see God face to face. Then we will know, just as we are known.

CharismaticLady

Jun 13, 2019
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The AMPC translates the word as "practice." Do you believe a Christian can commit sin?

So does the NASB. When in doubt go to a literal translation. They are hard to read but they are word for word.

1 John 3:9 Young's Literal Translation (YLT)
9 every one who hath been begotten of God, sin he doth not, because his seed in him doth remain, and he is not able to sin, because of God he hath been begotten.

CharismaticLady

Jun 13, 2019
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The AMPC translates the word as "practice." Do you believe a Christian can commit sin?

Sin in general? Yes. But specifically, only trespasses which are sins not unto death. These are the sins mentioned in the Lord's Prayer. But there ARE sins unto death that John is saying a Christian cannot commit even once. 1 John 5:14-15

Prayer Warrior

Sep 20, 2018
U.S.A.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So does the NASB. When in doubt go to a literal translation. They are hard to read but they are word for word.

1 John 3:9 Young's Literal Translation (YLT)
9 every one who hath been begotten of God, sin he doth not, because his seed in him doth remain, and he is not able to sin, because of God he hath been begotten.

The NASB is a literal word-for-word translation. These 6 translations use the term "practice" sin or "continue to sin." And there are others. I believe this is the correct context.

New International Version
No one who is born of God will continue to sin, because God's seed remains in them; they cannot go on sinning, because they have been born of God.

New Living Translation
Those who have been born into God’s family do not make a practice of sinning, because God’s life is in them. So they can’t keep on sinning, because they are children of God.

English Standard Version
No one born of God makes a practice of sinning, for God’s seed abides in him; and he cannot keep on sinning, because he has been born of God.

Berean Study Bible
Anyone born of God refuses to practice sin, because God’s seed abides in him; he cannot go on sinning, because he has been born of God.

Berean Literal Bible
Anyone having been born of God does not practice sin, because His seed abides in him, and he is not able to continue sinning, because he has been born of God.

New American Standard Bible
No one who is born of God practices sin, because His seed abides in him; and he cannot sin, because he is born of God.

Last edited:

Prayer Warrior

Sep 20, 2018
U.S.A.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Sin in general? Yes. But specifically, only trespasses which are sins not unto death. These are the sins mentioned in the Lord's Prayer. But there ARE sins unto death that John is saying a Christian cannot commit even once. 1 John 5:14-15
You must have the wrong scripture reference.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
To be more specific, have you been given any or one of these? I'm just asking to know if you are a born again, Spirit-filled Cessationist, or a born again, Spirit-filled Charismatic. I believe both will be in heaven, just would like to know for sure:

Mark 16:
17 And these signs will follow those who believe: In My name they will cast out demons; they will speak with new tongues; 18 they will take up serpents; and if they drink anything deadly, it will by no means hurt them; they will lay hands on the sick, and they will recover.”

1 Corinthians 12:8-10
8 for to one is given the word of wisdom through the Spirit, to another the word of knowledge through the same Spirit, 9 to another faith by the same Spirit, to another gifts of healings by the same Spirit, 10 to another the working of miracles, to another prophecy, to another discerning of spirits, to another different kinds of tongues, to another the interpretation of tongues.
I truly prefer to not start naming gifts to myself. I'm just never comfortable with that.

As far as the passage in Mark, I think this was part of the Kingdom offer to Israel. I think some things changed with Israel's rejection of Jesus in Acts 28. I think the signs and wonders have ceased, when the Gospel of the kingdom was withdrawn from Israel, but the gifts to the gentile church continue.

I've decided not just this once. The thing is, I'm not the best judge of what my gifts are. I just trust that God will give me what I need to do what He wants me to do. I have my observations, but I never what to get into, I've got this gift, and that gift, as if these are mine. They are, but their not about the gifts, or about the person, only the distribution to the needs of the saints.

Much love!

Last edited: