Work out your own salvation with fear and trembling

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Dropship

Jun 2, 2022
Plymouth UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Here's a little test for CB members which has a bearing on this thread topic-

10 people including yourself take part in a TV science/psychology programme and you're all sat in a row of chairs in a line and told to say how many beeps you hear when a buzzer is sounded.
For example suppose it beeps 3 times - buzz-buzz-buzz - and the first person is asked how many beeps he/she heard and he replies "Four".
Then the second person in the line is asked the same question and also replies "Four".
Then the 3rd/4th/5th/6th/7th/8th/9th persons are asked, and they reply "Four" too.
You're the 10th person at the end of the line and when you're asked how many beeps you heard, what would you reply?

Reactions: VictoryinJesus

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
*Ring RIng

Suzy sally told me she went and baked a pie for Roger.

Telephone - gossip

What will the next person say that Suzy sally said, what did she baked again? A Cassarole? For bob Hamilton?

:)

Reactions: VictoryinJesus

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Here's a little test for CB members which has a bearing on this thread topic-

10 people including yourself take part in a TV science/psychology programme and you're all sat in a row of chairs in a line and told to say how many beeps you hear when a buzzer is sounded.
For example suppose it beeps 3 times - buzz-buzz-buzz - and the first person is asked how many beeps he/she heard and he replies "Four".
Then the second person in the line is asked the same question and also replies "Four".
Then the 3rd/4th/5th/6th/7th/8th/9th persons are asked, and they reply "Four" too.
You're the 10th person at the end of the line and when you're asked how many beeps you heard, what would you reply?

If I heard three buzzes…I would say I heard three, even though the other nine said they heard four. But then I would walk away assuming something was wrong with my hearing and I needed to go see a doctor, based of the other nine hearing four.

how do you see this applying to the topic?

Bible Highlighter

Feb 17, 2022
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I do get what you are saying about using God as a license to sin. But to me that is why it is important to focus on the “work out your own salvation with fear and trembling” … and “examine yourselves” …which I often forget and need reminding.

But this type of thinking only makes sense in Conditional Salvation and not Unconditional Salvation. If things are Unconditional, then you can just party it up and not worry about entering the Kingdom.

Dropship

Jun 2, 2022
Plymouth UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
If I heard three buzzes…I would say I heard three, even though the other nine said they heard four. But then I would walk away assuming something was wrong with my hearing and I needed to go see a doctor, based of the other nine hearing four.
how do you see this applying to the topic?

Well the 10th guy said "4 buzzes" even though he knew he'd only heard three..:)
The buzz test was run a number of further rounds with the buzzer beeping a different number of times each round, and the 10th bloke ALWAYS followed the herd and copied what they'd said even though he knew they were wrong !
It demonstrates how people tend to follow the herd (which also includes organised religious denominations), rather than sticking to their guns and working out their own salvation..:)

PS- the TV test was rigged of course by using the 10th guy as a guinea pig to see if he'd follow the herd.
Before filming, the other 9 people had been quietly taken aside and told to add '1' to the number of buzzes they heard, so that if they heard 5 buzzes, they were to say "Six" and so on.
The 10th guy correctly heard 5 but was too timid to say so, and instead repeated '6' like the other 9 had said..:)
Afterwards the host told he'd been set up and he looked embarrassed but the host told him "Don't worry, you reacted perfectly normally by following the herd like most other people would"
Personally I wouldn't have followed them, i'd have said what my ears had heard..:)

Bible Highlighter

Feb 17, 2022
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If I can work out my own salvation, why do I need God?

So then you believe Philippians 2:12 is false in what it says? Sorry, you cannot re-write the Bible to your own way of thinking. What’s the point of that? You either believe all of the Bible in what it says or you don’t believe it. Obviously we walk with God. God does the good work through us, but He does not force Himself upon us to do the good work. We have to choose to cooperate with God in the good work He desires to do through us.

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If I can work out my own salvation, why do I need God?

great question. Revisiting what you posted…going between Philippians and 2 Corinthians

They wanted proof of Christ speaking in Paul. They were prodding Paul to speak on his own behalf …seeking “proof” which to me (just an opinion) Paul turned on its head, upside down, for their benefit by “work out your own salvation with fear and trembling” “examine yourselves”

but in both passages from Philippians to 2 Corinthians Paul (just an opinion) speaks of God’s work to both will and work for His good pleasure. Which reminds me of Christ Jesus saying “if you don’t believe me, at least believe me for the works sake”. now going back to reread both passages where it says “with fear and trembling”… in 2 Corinthians Paul mentions being happy when weak, that they be made strong-perfect-complete. the beginning of the fear of God is to depart from evil …in 2 Corinthians Paul urges them to do no evil. we boast in being stuck there at “work out your own salvation with fear and trembling” but “perfect love cast out fear. he who fears has not (yet) been made perfect in Love.”

Why then is Paul rejoicing in weakness, that they be made perfect…are they not yet made perfect? “He who fears has not been made perfect in Love” …in departing from evil. Why “fear and tremble”? Why
Jude 1:21-25 Keep yourselves in the love of God, looking for the mercy of our Lord Jesus Christ unto eternal life. [22] And of some have compassion, making a difference: [23] And others save with fear, pulling them out of the fire; hating even the garment spotted by the flesh. [24] Now unto him that is able to keep you from falling, and to present you faultless before the presence of his glory with exceeding joy, [25] To the only wise God our Saviour, be glory and majesty, dominion and power, both now and ever. Amen.

In both passages:
Paul seems to be saying “you want proof Christ speaks in me” James 2:18-20 Yea, a man may say, Thou hast faith, and I have works: shew me your faith without your works, and I will shew you my faith by my works.(which Paul through “I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me, shows them “I will gladly be weak, that you depart from evil and do no evil even though you think I’m a reprobate, your perfection I desire, that you be made strong. For this, I will gladly spend and be spent for you, even though the more I love you, the less I be loved.” [19] You believe that there is one God; you do well: the devils also believe, and tremble. [20] But do you know, O vain man, that faith without (God who gives you both the Will and to work in you) works is dead?

Last edited: