Working out your salvation

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

meshak

Mar 18, 2013
He is right; "I am saved" is self assurance, not from Jesus.

We don't know if we are saved or not until we meet Jesus. He is the judge, not anyone else.

Jesus says in many ways to be faithful to Him until the end.

williemac

Apr 29, 2012
Canada
meshak said:
He is right; "I am saved" is self assurance, not from Jesus.

We don't know if we are saved or not until we meet Jesus. He is the judge, not anyone else.

Jesus says in many ways to be faithful to Him until the end.
Balony. With all due respect, read your bible. eg. 1John 5:13..." These things I have written to you who believe in the name of the Son of God, that you may know that you have eternal life, and that you continue to believe in the name of the Son of God."

Working out one's salvation is not working FOR one's salvation. It is simply taking the life that is in us and working with it to bear fruit. In fact, the passage is not even saying that this is to be done to ensure one's salvation. That is simply the conclusion that some have arrived at who do not know that they can actually have assurance. The assurance is based on His goodness, His mercy, His work, His promise, and His integrity. The sooner we come to the understanding that eternal life is a free gift (Rom.5:15-18), the sooner we can get on with more meaningful conversations than to be continually correcting those who think that our effort is required on top of the sacrifice and resurrection of Jesus. Rom.10:9 tells us how salvation is attained. You can put it in the bank. There is only ONE Savior. We do not save ourselves. The attempt to do so is evidence of a lack of faith. The one thing we need to endure to the end to keep, is that which gave us life in the first place. This is not a trick that God is playing. Those who have partaken of Jesus by faith have passed from death to life and shall not come into judgment. (John5:24). How can we lose what we have if we are not going to be judged?

As well, in 2Cor.5:5 and Eph.1:14, we find that the Holy Spirit is given as a guarantee of our inheritance. Can there be any greater assurance than a guarantee? I know one thing. I have the Holy Spirit. Thus I have a guaruntee. This is something that one should seek after if he does not have the Holy Spirit or does not know he has the Holy Spirit.

Finally, one more word from the mouth of Jesus.John 6:47..."Most assuredly I say to you, he who believes in Me has everlasting life". respectfully, Howie

meshak

Mar 18, 2013
williemac said:
Balony. With all due respect, read your bible. eg. 1John 5:13..." These things I have written to you who believe in the name of the Son of God, that you may know that you have eternal life, and that you continue to believe in the name of the Son of God."
Amen, and if we believe in Him we will strive to follow Jesus' instructions (commandments).

Your salvation is half truth.

Rach1370

Apr 17, 2010
Australia
williemac said:

Working out one's salvation is not working FOR one's salvation. It is simply taking the life that is in us and working with it to bear fruit. In fact, the passage is not even saying that this is to be done to ensure one's salvation. That is simply the conclusion that some have arrived at who do not know that they can actually have assurance. The assurance is based on His goodness, His mercy, His work, His promise, and His integrity. The sooner we come to the understanding that eternal life is a free gift (Rom.5:15-18), the sooner we can get on with more meaningful conversations than to be continually correcting those who think that our effort is required on top of the sacrifice and resurrection of Jesus. Rom.10:9 tells us how salvation is attained. You can put it in the bank. There is only ONE Savior. We do not save ourselves. The attempt to do so is evidence of a lack of faith. The one thing we need to endure to the end to keep, is that which gave us life in the first place. This is not a trick that God is playing. Those who have partaken of Jesus by faith have passed from death to life and shall not come into judgment. (John5:24). How can we lose what we have if we are not going to be judged?

As well, in 2Cor.5:5 and Eph.1:14, we find that the Holy Spirit is given as a guarantee of our inheritance. Can there be any greater assurance than a guarantee? I know one thing. I have the Holy Spirit. Thus I have a guaruntee. This is something that one should seek after if he does not have the Holy Spirit or does not know he has the Holy Spirit.

Finally, one more word from the mouth of Jesus.John 6:47..."Most assuredly I say to you, he who believes in Me has everlasting life". respectfully, Howie
Amen and well said.
I also think the assurance of Salvation comes because we know that it is dependant on Christ, not on us. It's not because of our goodness or strength, it's because of his. He is both good enough and strong enough to hold us, just as he promises, no matter how we stumble or fall. Every single response that comes from us comes in reaction to this truth. We believe and move forward, producing fruit because we know we are saved by Him, and we are thankful and grateful. We don't respond to earn or keep our salvation, we respond in love and a desire to have him in every single part of our life.

meshak

Mar 18, 2013
Rach said:
Amen and well said.
I also think the assurance of Salvation comes because we know that it is dependant on Christ, not on us. It's not because of our goodness or strength, it's because of his. He is both good enough and strong enough to hold us, just as he promises, no matter how we stumble or fall. Every single response that comes from us comes in reaction to this truth. We believe and move forward, producing fruit because we know we are saved by Him, and we are thankful and grateful. We don't respond to earn or keep our salvation, we respond in love and a desire to have him in every single part of our life.
Rach said:
Amen and well said.
I also think the assurance of Salvation comes because we know that it is dependant on Christ, not on us.
Jesus commands us to be faithful to Him until the end.

horsecamp

Feb 1, 2008
cant think of any better way to say this so here it is again. :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGTPNue0-ZI

I know this video goes against our sinful nature to only trust Jesus for our salvation his merits alone.

2nd corinthians 5 verse 16-21

16 So from now on we regard no one from a worldly point of view. Though we once regarded Christ in this way, we do so no longer. 17 Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, the new creation has come:[a] The old has gone, the new is here! 18 All this is from God, who reconciled us to himself through Christ and gave us the ministry of reconciliation: 19 that God was reconciling the world to himself in Christ, not counting people’s sins against them. And he has committed to us the message of reconciliation. 20 We are therefore Christ’s ambassadors, as though God were making his appeal through us. We implore you on Christ’s behalf: Be reconciled to God. 21 God made him who had no sin to be sin[b] for us, so that in him we might become the righteousness of God.

williemac

Apr 29, 2012
Canada
meshak said:
I would rather not take your word for this. Why don't you back that up with a passage or two? And while you are at it, show us how this is tied in with our salvation. But before you judge me or anyone as "one of those who say you don't have to be faithful to Jesus to be saved", why don't you explain what that all entails? How does one show faithfulness to Jesus in a way that ensures his salvation? I would like to hear what standard must be met.

And if you can do that, then show us how it overrules the passages I shared in reply # 3. You might want to actually read them first, then decide how they are not true.

Rach1370

Apr 17, 2010
Australia
meshak said:

Well, yes, of course...I didn't think what I said implied this was not the case...in fact I think what I said implied this truth.

I think some people think we of the 'assurance of salvation' crowd are saying one thing, when we are actually not. When I say that my salvation comes from and is held secure in Christ, I am NOT saying that I dust my hands and say "well, that's taken care of, now I may go and live any life I choose." No way! My life has been paid for, won, by Christ and his sacrifice. More...he has given me a new heart, one that longs for him and follows him. He gives me both a demand and the knowledge that in walking closer and closer to him, I will be giving him glory and myself joy. So when considering all these things...the price being paid and a given gift (assurance of salvation) and a new heart with a desire to walk with him....why would I want anything else but to be faithful to him? It's what I know he wants, and what I long for....

JB_Reformed Baptist

Many are called but few are chosen.
Feb 23, 2013
AUSTRALIA
meshak said:
So we will be as assured by God. But we may all not produce the same amount of fruit. Even so, some are saved by fire.

As to assurance of salvation, God says:

Rom 8:16 The Spirit itself beareth witness with our spirit, that we are the children of God:

The making sure of our election, is primarily for us so as to "keep the faith'. NOT A WORKS BASED ACTIVITY THAT YOU ATTACHED TO SALVATION. Rather, any good deeds we do is because we are born above, an expression of our new nature in Christ.

meshak

Mar 18, 2013
JB_Reformed Baptist said:
So we will be as assured by God. But we may all not produce the same amount of fruit. Even so, some are saved by fire.

As to assurance of salvation, God says:

Rom 8:16 The Spirit itself beareth witness with our spirit, that we are the children of God:

The making sure of our election, is primarily for us so as to "keep the faith'. NOT A WORKS BASED ACTIVITY THAT YOU ATTACHED TO SALVATION. Rather, any good deeds we do is because we are born above, an expression of our new nature in Christ.
You make it sound salvation to complicated. John Calvin made salvation complicated. It is not so, friend.

It is all about being faithful to Jesus and He says to be faithful to Him until the end.Then we have assurance.

Faith without deeds is dead. Dead faith cannot save anyone. Faith and works go together. Jesus also says that we know them by their fruit.

blessings.

williemac said:
I would rather not take your word for this.
That is not my word, it is Jesus' word, friend.

Ruth

Jan 26, 2009
The man in the video claims he professed to believe, he spoke in tounges, but in all reality he was only playing church....

The road to salvation is narrow, we are working out our salvation with fear and trembling.

God will never leave us nor forsake us, but we can leave Him, there are SO MANY scripture vearses explaining and warning us not to fall away, the Holy Spirit will always lead us to repentance, but once a chosen, wilfull sin becomes our God, are hearts become hardened and we have chosen sin over God

Grace alone does not save us, faith has to be part of the contract, the covenant, and James tells us faith with out works is dead, Jesus tells us we must follow His commands, to love God with all your heart and mind, to love your neighbor as you love yourself.

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
practice your sanctification by loving others through servanthood

williemac

Apr 29, 2012
Canada
Ruth said:
The man in the video claims he professed to believe, he spoke in tounges, but in all reality he was only playing church....

The road to salvation is narrow, we are working out our salvation with fear and trembling.

God will never leave us nor forsake us, but we can leave Him, there are SO MANY scripture vearses explaining and warning us not to fall away, the Holy Spirit will always lead us to repentance, but once a chosen, wilfull sin becomes our God, are hearts become hardened and we have chosen sin over God

Grace alone does not save us, faith has to be part of the contract, the covenant, and James tells us faith with out works is dead, Jesus tells us we must follow His commands, to love God with all your heart and mind, to love your neighbor as you love yourself.
I would like to hear your definition of willful sin, and how it is not under the category of all sins that will be forgiven the sons of men according to Jesus In Mark3:28.
I would also like to hear your definition of repentance.

Ruth

Jan 26, 2009
Willfull sin: I was a drunk, being a drunk is willful sin, I chose to abuse alcohol even when I new it was wrong, and would use it to medicate myself instead of running to God, I ran to booze. I received many warnings from the Holy Spirit, I had 3 dreams warning me I was submitting to a demon, and not The Lord,....the scriptures tell us druckards will not enter heaven.

Repentance: I would cry for forgiveness, I would truly repent, then fail, repent, then fail...it upsets me now to even think I would chose booze over God, I believe each time I repented I received grace, God will never leave us nor forsake us, it is I who did the forsaking and the leaving.

There is a reason Jesus tells us to keep our robes white, and our lamps full, God excepts no one whose garment has become dirtyy by sin, or who has become lukewarm towards His Heavenly Father. Jesus will always clean our garments, and refill our lamps when we repent

Rev. 3

4 “Yet there are some in the church in Sardis who have not soiled their clothes with evil. They will walk with me in white, for they are worthy. 5 All who are victorious will be clothed in white. I will never erase their names from the Book of Life, but I will announce before my Father and his angels that they are mine.

15 “I know all the things you do, that you are neither hot nor cold. I wish that you were one or the other! 16 But since you are like lukewarm water, neither hot nor cold, I will spit you out of my mouth! 17 You say, ‘I am rich. I have everything I want. I don’t need a thing!’ And you don’t realize that you are wretched and miserable and poor and blind and naked

Matthew 25

6“At midnight they were roused by the shout, ‘Look, the bridegroom is coming! Come out and meet him!’

7“All the bridesmaids got up and prepared their lamps. 8Then the five foolish ones asked the others, ‘Please give us some of your oil because our lamps are going out.’

9“But the others replied, ‘We don’t have enough for all of us. Go to a shop and buy some for yourselves.’

10“But while they were gone to buy oil, the bridegroom came. Then those who were ready went in with him to the marriage feast, and the door was locked. 11Later, when the other five bridesmaids returned, they stood outside, calling, ‘Lord! Lord! Open the door for us!’

12“But he called back, ‘Believe me, I don’t know you!’

13“So you, too, must keep watch! For you do not know the day or hour of my return.

meshak

Mar 18, 2013
williemac said:
I would like to hear your definition of willful sin, and how it is not under the category of all sins that will be forgiven the sons of men according to Jesus In Mark3:28.
I would also like to hear your definition of repentance.
Willful sins are different from ignorant sins. People who are denial on their sins even they were told it is sin by others and by the Bible is willful sin..

But we ought to know what is right thing to do by reading the NT, especially Jesus' word.

williemac

Apr 29, 2012
Canada
meshak said:
Willful sins are different from ignorant sins. People who are denial on their sins even they were told it is sin by others and by the Bible is willful sin..

But we ought to know what is right thing to do by reading the NT, especially Jesus' word.
Thank you for jumping into this one. Maybe Ruth will have a different thing to say.

Since the only place where the term "sin willfully" (willful sin) is found, is in Heb.10, I will ask you to explain how you arrived at this description or definition of willful sin. Did you make it up? Did someone else tell you? Are you simply using your logic?

meshak

Mar 18, 2013
williemac said:
Thank you for jumping into this one. Maybe Ruth will have a different thing to say.

Since the only place where the term "sin willfully" (willful sin) is found, is in Heb.10, I will ask you to explain how you arrived at this description or definition of willful sin. Did you make it up? Did someone else tell you? Are you simply using your logic?
My reasoning is contextual.

JB_Reformed Baptist

Many are called but few are chosen.
Feb 23, 2013
AUSTRALIA
meshak said:
You make it sound salvation to complicated. John Calvin made salvation complicated. It is not so, friend.

It is all about being faithful to Jesus and He says to be faithful to Him until the end.Then we have assurance.

Faith without deeds is dead. Dead faith cannot save anyone. Faith and works go together. Jesus also says that we know them by their fruit.

blessings.

meshak said:

blessings.

Consider 2 Peter 3:16

As also in all his epistles, speaking in them of these things; in which are some things hard to be understood, which they that are unlearned and unstable wrest, as they do also the other scriptures, unto their own destruction.