Worship v Secular Music

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Today is the 2nd time in the last 6-months that I briefly changed the radio from worship to secular music. My impression was the same both times and I wanted to see if anyone else has had this experience.

Normally immersed in worship music, the contrast was striking in brief excursions to secular radio. Both the music and the lyrics.

In both instances the melody seemed harsher, rather instantly grinding on my soul. The beat was faster, and I was reminded of Jesus saying, ‘I will give you rest,’ how the fruit of the spirit is peace, the peace that transcends all understanding. All this was immediately ruined for me upon hearing secular music. Jarring, I was yanked out of my worshipful interlude to the delusion of secular people trying to fill in the gap that remains forever unfulfilled with busyness.

The lyrics also contained a desperation I discerned. The lyrics were laced with idolatry of our fallen world. An unhealthy obsession with sex, money, power self, and false aggrandizement of all these things. The reason is painfully obvious. The music and lyrics have an emptiness.

It’s easier to see the contents that are there than the contents that are not there. Yet, the void was unmistakable. The need to cover up the pain, or at least hide it with energy, many notes and decibel volume was disturbingly discernable.

Now I know there is a broad range of secular music. Not all of it fits the description above. Yet, it was uncanny how I got the same impression 2 times in a row of switching the radio. Anyone else notice this difference between worship to secular music?

Josho

Millennial Christian
Staff member
Jul 19, 2015
The Land of Aus
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Today is the 2nd time in the last 6-months that I briefly changed the radio from worship to secular music. My impression was the same both times and I wanted to see if anyone else has had this experience.

Normally immersed in worship music, the contrast was striking in brief excursions to secular radio. Both the music and the lyrics.

In both instances the melody seemed harsher, rather instantly grinding on my soul. The beat was faster, and I was reminded of Jesus saying, ‘I will give you rest,’ how the fruit of the spirit is peace, the peace that transcends all understanding. All this was immediately ruined for me upon hearing secular music. Jarring, I was yanked out of my worshipful interlude to the delusion of secular people trying to fill in the gap that remains forever unfulfilled with busyness.

The lyrics also contained a desperation I discerned. The lyrics were laced with idolatry of our fallen world. An unhealthy obsession with sex, money, power self, and false aggrandizement of all these things. The reason is painfully obvious. The music and lyrics have an emptiness.

It’s easier to see the contents that are there than the contents that are not there. Yet, the void was unmistakable. The need to cover up the pain, or at least hide it with energy, many notes and decibel volume was disturbingly discernable.

Now I know there is a broad range of secular music. Not all of it fits the description above. Yet, it was uncanny how I got the same impression 2 times in a row of switching the radio. Anyone else notice this difference between worship to secular music?

I find that while there are some good secular songs musically and lyrically, less and less seem to be ticking both boxes and fitting into that category as time goes on, lyrically secular music is going downhill, musically the top songs played on most radio stations are dominated by hip hop, pop and edm (electronic dance music), however if you look outside the top 100 songs, there are many different genres/styles of music.

But worship music is more lyrically relatable, positive, uplifting and has a better atmosphere.

Reactions: Wrangler

Jay Ross

Jun 20, 2011
QLD
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
But worship music is more lyrically relatable, positive, uplifting and has a better atmosphere.

But Josho, worship songs that tell God that they "want to worship" Him I believe would beg the question from God as to when they will actually worship Him.

When I sing worship song like this, I leave out the words "want to," and just sing, "I worship you, Almighty God . . . ," etc. It conveys my heart's response towards God, that I am actually worshipping God with all of my heart.

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I like quite a bit of both,
So do I. My point is the shock after being immersed in worship music to the spiritually harshness of secular music. Doubtful coincidence. Providence must have guided me to those harsh secular songs after spiritual immersion. The contrast was striking.

Reactions: BeyondET