Come together, and enjoy Sgt. Pepper's music appreciation thread.

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thank you! I think it speaks of where one's appetite is away from wholesome and godly things.

Raises the whole question of how much secular culture should one indulge in as a Christian. Certainly some of it can't be all bad, since Paul made reference to such things as Olympic competition and Roman military tactics. I think it has mostly to do with where we CENTER our attention on, and that needs to be on the Lord Jesus Christ.

TLHKAJ

Sep 12, 2020
US
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This is why this thread should be in the non-Christian forum.

Ephesians 5:19

[19]Speaking to yourselves in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing and making melody in your heart to the Lord;

Colossians 3:16
[16]Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly in all wisdom; teaching and admonishing one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing with grace in your hearts to the Lord.

There's nothing about Christ in these songs, nor that lifts His name....or even that promotes godly affections.

Reactions: amigo de christo

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If I'm gonna listen to someone sing a love song, it won't be the Beatles or some other drug culture band. No, I didn't and will not be listening.

LoL. Ok. :) I didn't create this thread, I just responded to it.

My avatar has to do with taking the enemy apart with the word of God, and that's where my heads at pretty much 24/7. If a song about a man's love for his wife is playing in the background, it's not going to be distracting me much from the task at hand, if you know what I mean. Too focused. :cool:

Rita

Staff member
Dec 20, 2020
South
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I don’t see a problem with this thread being where it is, if you look at many of the other threads they are also including secular content. No one is forcing anyone to listen to or interact in a thread they don’t like music means different things to different people for different reasons. I don’t agree with the life styles of many artists, but their music is a link to good memories about people I love and care about and times in my life I valued and appreciated.
I personally believe the ability to sing is a gift from God and one not everyone has …… music is valuable for so many reasons. On the dementia community at work songs from the past, like many on this thread, connect people who are lost to themselves and makes them feel good. It connects them deep within to who they are ……….so I thank the Lord for all kinds of music.

Reactions: GaryAnderson

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I was born in 1969... So I kind of missed the Beatles. But I wished I would've been there! It seemed the Stones, the Who and to an extent, the Beach Boys were all chasing their greatness, but never could catch it. And yet, those bands are phenomenal!

Strawberry Fields and Lucie in the Sky are big favorites of mine, but Helter Skelter memorizes me. I consider it the birth of both punk and heavy metal... And its been redone but never as well as the original.

Kiss was my band in the late 70's and early 80's. But it was all energy. These days I appreciate Led Zepplin and the Stones more.

I utterly despise Springsteen but recognize his talent. Michael Jackson was hands down the greatest entertainer... But Prince was the best of the mid 80's. I didn't like him back then because I was in my punk and metal phase... But now I listen to him and say... WOW!

Alice Cooper may be the most underrated artist. Folks focus on his theatrics... But his music was solid. It was scary. It was uneasy. And at times it was hard.

These days... I am not much into music. I prefer gospel, and my pastor is a musician... I find myself gumming his songs.

Other than some hard hitting bagpipe music by the Snake Charmer!

Finally... Gotta give homage to the ONE greatest musician of all time: Amadeus! As in Mozart! Its classical music, but it was sublime!

Reactions: GaryAnderson

Pathfinder7

Mar 8, 2020
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I was born in 1969... So I kind of missed the Beatles. But I wished I would've been there! It seemed the Stones, the Who and to an extent, the Beach Boys were all chasing their greatness, but never could catch it. And yet, those bands are phenomenal!

Strawberry Fields and Lucie in the Sky are big favorites of mine, but Helter Skelter memorizes me. I consider it the birth of both punk and heavy metal... And its been redone but never as well as the original.

Kiss was my band in the late 70's and early 80's. But it was all energy. These days I appreciate Led Zepplin and the Stones more.

I utterly despise Springsteen but recognize his talent. Michael Jackson was hands down the greatest entertainer... But Prince was the best of the mid 80's. I didn't like him back then because I was in my punk and metal phase... But now I listen to him and say... WOW!

Alice Cooper may be the most underrated artist. Folks focus on his theatrics... But his music was solid. It was scary. It was uneasy. And at times it was hard.

These days... I am not much into music. I prefer gospel, and my pastor is a musician... I find myself gumming his songs.

Other than some hard hitting bagpipe music by the Snake Charmer!

Finally... Gotta give homage to the ONE greatest musician of all time: Amadeus! As in Mozart! Its classical music, but it was sublime!
"But I wished I would've been there!"
---
I was at the coffee shop..some years ago.
- & got into the conversation with young fellows (in 20's).
They told me..
- "We like 1960's & 70's music/songs!"
Many 'classic/enduring songs' were composed..during those days.
---
Interesting to note:
Pioneering days of 'Contemporary Christian Music'..
- 1970's
- During the 'Jesus Movement.'

Last edited:
Reactions: FHII

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

My mother was into them when I was a child, so I kinda got introduced to them at an early age. They were not only very good at writing catchy melody lines, but expert at writing lyrics with "a hook."

TLH is right about their not being a good influence spiritually. There is strong evidence they were occultists, or at the very least John Lennon was (if you want to read a study I wrote on this a few months ago, see section on "The man who gained the world, but lost his soul.")
1 John 2:12-17

That said, there are multiple reasons why they were exceedingly popular during their time, and for a few decades afterwards. Can't get this darn song out of my head now, LoL.

Reactions: amadeus and Pearl

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
And there was the song 'My Sweet Lord' which was about the Hari Kirishna cult.
I much prefer the Christian Cliff Richard. And I also liked Glen Campbell who also became a Christian.

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And there was the song 'My Sweet Lord' which was about the Hari Kirishna cult.

Yes. They were heavy into Eastern meditation at one point. Virtually the whole "Rubber Soul" album was a musical tribute to it in fact. Definitely not my thing. I bought that album and thought, "What a rip off!" Lol.

Reactions: TLHKAJ and Pearl

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You're right, I am.

That's ok. You're a spring chicken at heart. Not only that, but He renews our strength like the eagles.

ac8b9e4b04b6a9da49d47b1c17f28292.jpg

Reactions: TLHKAJ and Pearl