Come together, and enjoy Sgt. Pepper's music appreciation thread.

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
... quite frankly, while I don't want to be insulting of the body of Christ, the church generally doesn't have the talent necessary to pull of that kind of music off...

So I get torn. But as I stated somewhere, I keep the word first and I am always discussing it and thinking about it, so regardless of what I might be into musically, I'm spending so much time with the Lord that it's not really a corrupting influence on me either way.
I believe that you do have the right priority in putting the Word in front of musical attractions. Some people make the wrong choices.

Elvis Presley from what I have read was one. As a young man he apparently loved God, but his God-given talent was too much temptation for him to handle. He gave up on God and went with the worldly way of fame and fortune that was open to him. He made a whole lot of money and dug himself deep into the ways of the flesh. He died 42 years of age. Was going the way of the world worth missing out with God?

Then I have a cousin born in 1934, a year earlier than Elvis, who was a talented pianist and musician. He made a good living all of his life doing musical arrangements, directing a very large church orchestra and giving private music lessons. But... he could have been a lot more in the world. When he was young, Red Foley, one of the great stars in country music at the time offered my cousin a job playing the piano for him. Because it was too worldly he turned down Red Foley choosing to stay on the Lord's side. He lives on now at the age of 87 still serving God.

Reactions: Hidden In Him

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
He lives on now at the age of 87 still serving God.

Yep. :) The tempter comes to all of us with something eventually. But it's always fool's gold, and the end is destruction for those who make the wrong choice.

Now this is the commandment, the statutes and the judgments which the Lord your God has commanded me to teach you, that you might do them in the land where you are going over to possess it, so that you and your son and your grandson might fear the Lord your God... and that your days may be prolonged. (Deuteronomy 6:1-2).

Reactions: amadeus

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And when the night is cloudy
There is still a light that shines on me
Shine until tomorrow
Let it be

I wake up to the sound of music
Mother Mary comes to me
Speaking words of wisdom
Let it be
Let it Be is my favorite Beatles song, but I wonder why McCartney broke the rhyming scheme on the last verse. Sarge, did he ever explain why he did that?

John Denver did a cover version in which he substituted “there will be no sorrow”, which kinda works.

Rita

Staff member
Dec 20, 2020
South
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Of course ...God created music. And He often used music to minister to me. But why should a Christian go to the world with their occult influence and demonic "anointing" for comfort or entertainment, or God forbid....for inspiration?
Whether we like it or not all of us go to the world, it’s intertwined within our lives. I can’t remember the last time I put secular music on in my home. It’s on at work everyday and sometimes a song will speak to my heart, remind me of good times that I can thankfully remember, it can make my day easier.
So it’s not always about us going to the world, it’s often about God using the world when it overlaps. If I want to use secular music when I do spring cleans at home, it’s not over the top as it’s once a year. If I want to use music to remember my mum, I am pretty sure the Lord knows why the songs are relevant and required.
Once again, it’s not very often xx
Rita

Rita

Staff member
Dec 20, 2020
South
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
We're certainly dating ourselves now, LoL.

ad70fee58f17be1519360e600be8d69c.jpg
Yes, i know ………but I was still at school !! Lol
Mind you I got married in 1979 …….that definitely shows my age !

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yep. :) The tempter comes to all of us with something eventually. But it's always fool's gold, and the end is destruction for those who make the wrong choice.

Now this is the commandment, the statutes and the judgments which the Lord your God has commanded me to teach you, that you might do them in the land where you are going over to possess it, so that you and your son and your grandson might fear the Lord your God... and that your days may be prolonged. (Deuteronomy 6:1-2).
Give God the glory!

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Whether we like it or not all of us go to the world, it’s intertwined within our lives. I can’t remember the last time I put secular music on in my home. It’s on at work everyday and sometimes a song will speak to my heart, remind me of good times that I can thankfully remember, it can make my day easier.
So it’s not always about us going to the world, it’s often about God using the world when it overlaps. If I want to use secular music when I do spring cleans at home, it’s not over the top as it’s once a year. If I want to use music to remember my mum, I am pretty sure the Lord knows why the songs are relevant and required.
Once again, it’s not very often xx
Rita
The important thing is to always put first things, according to God, first!

God made all of planet Earth and so many things on it "very good" , I believe, for our benefit. We are certainly allowed to and should enjoy them in ways pleasing to God.

Music is part of that, but like everything else man can and does twist good things making them evil. Let us not throw out the baby with the bath water!

"And God saw every thing that he had made, and, behold, it was very good. And the evening and the morning were the sixth day." Gen 1:31

Last edited:
Reactions: Rita