Come together, and enjoy Sgt. Pepper's music appreciation thread.

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

TLHKAJ

Sep 12, 2020
US
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
TLH is right about their not being a good influence spiritually. There is strong evidence they were occultists, or at the very least John Lennon was (if you want to read a study I wrote on this a few months ago, see section on "The man who gained the world, but lost his soul.")
1 John 2:12-17
The truth is, no one.... NO ONE ...makes a successful career in Hollywood, Nashville, etc, without participation in the occult or else they are born in by bloodline (as I was). I know of ones whose programming began to break down and they were murdered. Happens a LOT. I have a dear survivor friend whose father was part of the Nashville scene, and she herself was an actress. She saw a lot.

There may be a few exceptions for ones who choose to draw a lone and serve Christ. Watch this testimony....

Last edited:
Reactions: Hidden In Him

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The truth is, no one.... NO ONE ...makes a successful career in Hollywood, Nashville, etc, without participation in the occult or else they are born in by bloodline (as I was). I know of ones whose programming began to break down and they were murdered. Happens a LOT. I have a dear survivor friend whose father was part of the Nashville scene, and she herself was an actress.

There may be a few exceptions for ones who choose to draw a lone and serve Christ. Watch this testimony....

Wow... pretty strong prophetic word. :)

Yeah, I think there is still room for those who have not yet bowed down, it's just that the enemy controls so much, and many are instead willing to in exchange for fame and money.

Reactions: TLHKAJ

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
My mother was into them when I was a child, so I kinda got introduced to them at an early age. They were not only very good at writing catchy melody lines, but expert at writing lyrics with "a hook."
Aha, when I was a child in the early 1950's my mother own a stack of vinyl records from the 1940's. I would put them on the record player and listen to them. I did not start listen to much contemporary music until I started high school [1957]. I still like a lot of those old songs.

TLH is right about their not being a good influence spiritually. There is strong evidence they were occultists, or at the very least John Lennon was (if you want to read a study I wrote on this a few months ago, see section on "The man who gained the world, but lost his soul.")
1 John 2:12-17

That said, there are multiple reasons why they were exceedingly popular during their time, and for a few decades afterwards. Can't get this darn song out of my head now, LoL.

[/QUOTE]
Silly songs (keep it clean)
A couple of their songs got my attention, but I never really cared for them. Most of my music as a young person was from the 1950's, and some from the 1960's with a few exceptions.

I like folk music by Peter, Paul and Mary along with a few other folk singers popular in the same time periods.

I loved Paul Anka. I also liked most things by Pat Boone and Marty Robbins. I enjoyed many of the slower songs by Elvis but I was never a fan of his louder and faster music. After my hearing was damaged by machine gun fire while in the military... I had even less tolerance for a lot of things that were becoming popular.

When I came to the Lord for real in 1976, I began to love gospel music including many of the very old hymns. Much of the newer supposedly Christian music I do not like at all.

At home I play the songs I like on the piano or on my harmonicas. My hearing loss does not prevent me from reading the music and when it is the only sound in the room, I can enjoy it. I play for me and/or for the Lord. I own copies of the music for songs from many of the ones I mentioned as well as the all of the "The Sound of Music" and some from other very old musicals.

I do not own the music for even one song from the Beatles. I leave those to my little brother and my son. They are both still Beatle fans.

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I play for me and/or for the Lord.

This is where I am migrating to. I sometimes miss being on worship teams, but my life is too bound up in Him privately to likely venture out into heavy involvement with the churches anymore at this point. I just wanna set my equipment back up and let the angels of God harmonize with me, if you know what I mean, Lol. Either that, or maybe find a few musicians and singers who are anointed of God and enjoy worship for worship's sake, rather than doing so only when they can get paid for it.

Time will tell.

Reactions: amadeus

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This is where I am migrating to. I sometimes miss being on worship teams, but my life is too bound up in Him privately to likely venture out into heavy involvement with the churches anymore at this point. I just wanna set my equipment back up and let the angels of God harmonize with me, if you know what I mean, Lol. Either that, or maybe find a few musicians and singers who are anointed of God and enjoy worship for worship's sake, rather than doing so only when they can get paid for it.

In fact, if you can find people like this it would actually be preferred. I recall in the last worship team I was on, we could get into the Spirit almost instantly during practice. The harder part was when you had to drag a whole church together with you into it at the beginning of a service.

TLHKAJ

Sep 12, 2020
US
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
In fact, if you can find people like this it would actually be preferred. I recall in the last worship team I was on, we could get into the Spirit almost instantly during practice. The harder part was when you had to drag a whole church together with you into it at the beginning of a service.
About 15-ish years ago, we (me, my husband and children) attended a meeting weekly with about a dozen or so other believers. We had no "pastor" or "preaching." We just gathered into a prayer room to pray while one softly played on a guitar and another played some sort of hand drum ....singing worship from the heart ....sometimes we'd join in, just whatever we felt led by Holy Spirit. Then we'd open our Bibles and just read aloud and discuss ....usually, the Spirit of God was moving all the way to the end and we'd leave feeling refreshed and nourished.
We also would bring food and beverages and have a meal before we got started. It was really nice. That's the kind of meeting I love more than the churchianity that goes on in 99% of the churches.

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
About 15-ish years ago, we (me, my husband and children) attended a meeting weekly with about a dozen or so other believers. We had no "pastor" or "preaching." We just gathered into a prayer room to pray while one softly played on a guitar and another played some sort of hand drum ....singing worship from the heart ....sometimes we'd join in, just whatever we felt led by Holy Spirit. Then we'd open our Bibles and just read aloud and discuss ....usually, the Spirit of God was moving all the way to the end and we'd leave feeling refreshed and nourished.
We also would bring food and beverages and have a meal before we got started. It was really nice. That's the kind of meeting I love more than the churchianity that goes on in 99% of the churches.

Churches can have some great services as well, but it all depends on who shows up on a given night. If you get a carnal crowd, not so much. If the Spirit-filled ones show up, it's on! And if you can manage to find a larger congregation where the majority are Spirit-filled, look out! But the enemy usually messes things like that up, so it will be pretty rare.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Churches can have some great services as well, but it all depends on who shows up on a given night. If you get a carnal crowd, not so much. If the Spirit-filled ones show up, it's on! And if you can manage to find a larger congregation where the majority are Spirit-filled, look out! But the enemy usually messes things like that up, so it will be pretty rare.
Too much quenching of the Spirit going on in too many people in too many of those places. I used to go visiting lots of local places when my old pastor was cast out in late 2018, but I had never found a place where I could do more than visit. Then the Covid-19 lockdown began and most church services for a long time were cancelled. I stopped visiting and have never restarted.

I miss the personal fellowship and the music onto the Lord. My one friend in the Lord and outside of church settings died in March, 2020 so now I sing and play alone... My wife is my one regular prayer partner. The only other one offline is my 96 year old pastor once a week.

...but still, What a mighty God we serve!

TLHKAJ

Sep 12, 2020
US
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I've been to dozens of churches. Most are pretty shallow and full of fear. (This is my experience over 35 years.) How do I know that? Soon as they find out my history, it sticks out like a sore thumb. On top of that, when I walk into a church it doesn't take me long to see cult infiltration. (Not infiltration that came in after me, although I do get followed ...but so many churches are infiltrated from the top down. I know this isn't popular.)

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Aha, when I was a child in the early 1950's my mother own a stack of vinyl records from the 1940's. I would put them on the record player and listen to them. I did not start listen to much contemporary music until I started high school [1957]. I still like a lot of those old songs.
My dad wouldn't let us buy pop music but he bought us an old wind up gramophone which came with a pile of very old records and that and the radio were my only forms of musical entertainment until I reached my teens, when I would go to a friend's house to listen to the latest releases from America - The Everleys, Paul Anka, Neil Sedaka etc. And I loved them. Never liked Elvis though.

Rita

Staff member
Dec 20, 2020
South
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Just to put context into my earlier post, I was talking about secular music in general, that ‘ music ‘ can have a positive affect , I wasn’t saying the life style or Hollywood or the music industry itself was positive.
Music helps us connect, grieve, release, cope, relax ect.
I still have my old albums, all my singles I didn’t keep ( always regretted that ) I often play them when I am cleaning the house , or when I miss my mum. @Pearl , they had a Neil Sedaka cd playing as I cleaned one of the dining rooms…..we were all sing along xx
I was a teenager in the 70’s, so I was an Osmond and David Cassidy fan and partridge family fan
Rita

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
My dad wouldn't let us buy pop music but he bought us an old wind up gramophone which came with a pile of very old records and that and the radio were my only forms of musical entertainment until I reached my teens, when I would go to a friend's house to listen to the latest releases from America - The Everleys, Paul Anka, Neil Sedaka etc. And I loved them. Never liked Elvis though.
I am with you sister.

God has helped me with getting rid of a lot of junk, but there is music that is not of the devil available that may not be Christian. We need God to help us with that.

My personal preferences sometimes get mixed up with what is really approved by God. We always need to lean on Him!

TLHKAJ

Sep 12, 2020
US
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Just to put context into my earlier post, I was talking about secular music in general, that ‘ music ‘ can have a positive affect , I wasn’t saying the life style or Hollywood or the music industry itself was positive.
I still have my old albums, all my singles I didn’t keep ( always regretted that ) I often play them when I am cleaning the house , or when I miss my mum. @Pearl , they had a Neil Sedaka cd playing as I cleaned one of the dining rooms…..we were all sing along xx
I was a teenager in the 70’s, so I was an Osmond and David Cassidy fan and partridge family fan
Rita
Of course ...God created music. And He has often used music to minister to me. But why should a Christian go to the world with their occult influence and demonic "anointing" for comfort or entertainment, or God forbid....for inspiration?

Last edited:

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

We're certainly dating ourselves now, LoL.

ad70fee58f17be1519360e600be8d69c.jpg

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
My personal preferences sometimes get mixed up with what is really approved by God. We always need to lean on Him!

Ok, this is me right here. I've always been a rocker. When I got saved there were some decent Christian rock bands out there, but not a lot. Eventually the quality of the old stuff started to creep back into the lists of what I found myself listening to. Then I also started getting into Progressive and Fusion, and quite frankly, while I don't want to be insulting of the body of Christ, the church generally doesn't have the talent necessary to pull of that kind of music off...

So I get torn. But as I stated somewhere, I keep the word first and I am always discussing it and thinking about it, so regardless of what I might be into musically, I'm spending so much time with the Lord that it's not really a corrupting influence on me either way.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Rita
@Rita Some music is very tuneful...

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Ok, this is me right here. I've always been a rocker. When I got saved there were some decent Christian rock bands out there, but not a lot. Eventually the quality of the old stuff started to creep back into the lists of what I found myself listening to. Then I also started getting into Progressive and Fusion, and quite frankly, while I don't want to be insulting of the body of Christ, the church generally doesn't have the talent necessary to pull of that kind of music off...

So I get torn. But as I stated somewhere, I keep the word first and I am always discussing it and thinking about it, so regardless of what I might be into musically, I'm spending so much time with the Lord that it's not really a corrupting influence on me either way.

@Hidden In Him I guess some arguments that one hears about rock music are bit like what is sometimes heard about other art forms such as tattoos: i.e., because some rock music lyrics are distasteful, therefore this supposedly proves that all rock music - whatever the lyrics - is supposedly inherently bad. Because some tattoos are bad quality or send a bad message, therefor this supposedly proves that all tattoos everywhere - whatever the graphic or calligraphic faith content - are supposedly bad.

This is far too simplistic, and does not give credit to a lot of quality music and a lot of quality - inc. Scripture quoting - tattoo artwork that Christian use as proven witness tools, and so forth.