Would you turn in your guns to the government if it ordered you to do so?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

K9Buck

Aug 18, 2020
central Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'm sort of on the fence but I'm leaning toward turning them in, if I was ordered to do so by government. Why? Because God commands that we obey our government authorities. Edited to add that the reason that I say I'm on the fence is that I also recognize that, sometimes, good men need to use guns to stop guys like Hitler, Stalin, Mao, Pol Pot, etc.

Romans 13:1–2
English Standard Version

Let every person be subject to the governing authorities. For there is no authority except from God, and those that exist have been instituted by God. 2 Therefore whoever resists the authorities resists what God has appointed, and those who resist will incur judgment.

marksman

My eldest granddaughter showing the result of her
Feb 27, 2008
Melbourne Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
In Australia, after a mass murder of 35 people at Port Arthur in Tasmania, the then Prime Minister decided to ban all private ownership of guns. Only registered gun clubs and farmers were allowed to have them. He orchestarted a buy back scheme for all the guns handed in. At the end of the day hundreds of thousands of guns were handed it.

Since that time, death by guns has been few and far between and usually it is one criminal shooting another criminal. That was one of the objections raised that if we banned guns only criminals would have them. That proved to be true, but who is going to cry over spilt millk if one criminal shoots another criminal? Saves the government from having to pay out vast amounts of money to put them in jail.

Now for the average citizen, death is usually by knife and sad to say, some very innocent people are dying this way. But that is surely better than 35 dying in 5 minutes by a deranged murderer with a gun.

Reactions: Josho

K9Buck

Aug 18, 2020
central Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
In Australia, after a mass murder of 35 people at Port Arthur in Tasmania, the then Prime Minister decided to ban all private ownership of guns. Only registered gun clubs and farmers were allowed to have them. He orchestarted a buy back scheme for all the guns handed in. At the end of the day hundreds of thousands of guns were handed it.

Since that time, death by guns has been few and far between and usually it is one criminal shooting another criminal. That was one of the objections raised that if we banned guns only criminals would have them. That proved to be true, but who is going to cry over spilt millk if one criminal shoots another criminal? Saves the government from having to pay out vast amounts of money to put them in jail.

Now for the average citizen, death is usually by knife and sad to say, some very innocent people are dying this way. But that is surely better than 35 dying in 5 minutes by a deranged murderer with a gun.

Early Americans used guns to overthrow their oppressors. They formed a nation and made it a right for citizens to own and carry guns just in case another tyrant came around.

marksman

My eldest granddaughter showing the result of her
Feb 27, 2008
Melbourne Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Early Americans used guns to overthrow their oppressors. They formed a nation and made it a right for citizens to own and carry guns just in case another tyrant came around.
The relevance of that is somewhat mooted. Most gun deaths today is due to a deranged individual using one to shoot people that he doesn't like.

kcnalp

Apr 5, 2020
Indianapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'm sort of on the fence but I'm leaning toward turning them in, if I was ordered to do so by government. Why? Because God commands that we obey our government authorities. Edited to add that the reason that I say I'm on the fence is that I also recognize that, sometimes, good men need to use guns to stop guys like Hitler, Stalin, Mao, Pol Pot, etc.

Romans 13:1–2
English Standard Version

Let every person be subject to the governing authorities. For there is no authority except from God, and those that exist have been instituted by God. 2 Therefore whoever resists the authorities resists what God has appointed, and those who resist will incur judgment.
Do you think "good men" nuked many innocent people in Japan?

Mantis

Nov 2, 2020
The wilderness
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If your government wants to take away your God given right to self defense, they are not governing, they're dictating and are just one step from away from lining you up on the wall of the firing squad. There is no reason a just government would want to disarm their citizens. If you give up your freedom for safety, you deserve neither.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'm sort of on the fence but I'm leaning toward turning them in, if I was ordered to do so by government.
Considering mine is an 1892 Winchester Repeater, which was my grandfather's first hunting rifle when he was 13, then was given to my father for his first hunting rifle, then my father made a special point of giving it to me before he died, so I'd be certain to have it, no, I'm not to inclined to hand it over to someone just because they want to make sure this little mosquito can't sting. Not that I'd ever try to fire it!

Much love!

Reactions: Taken

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Exactly!

Except, in truth, our 2nd Amendment rights don't exist. The were taken a long time ago.

Second Amendment
A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms shall not be infringed.

So . . . try to buy a cruise missle, and see if your rights have been infringed. Or an Stealth Bomber. Or even a lousy SAM!

The necessity to secure a free State means being at least as well armed as your oppressor. That's the whole point of 2nd Amendment.

Much love!

Last edited:
Reactions: mailmandan

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

upload_2021-8-6_14-18-28.png

Saw this the other day . . .

In the US, statistically, those areas that allow guns to be carried see the lowest violent crime rates.

Who's going to pull a gun in a store when you know it's likely half of the other customers are carrying also?

Much love!

Reactions: Taken and busrider

busrider

Aug 5, 2021
So Cal
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Sell your blazer and buy a sword

Put your sword back in its place,” Jesus said to him, “for all who draw the sword will die by the sword. Matthew 26:52

What you quoted I like how one commentary put it:

"35-38- Finally, Jesus spoke of the new situation. Formerly, when the Disciples had gone out, on mission, they had not lacked anything. Now they would need a purse, a bag and even a sword. The saying is heavily ironical, for Jesus knew that now He would have to face universal opposition and be put to death. But the disciples misunderstood Him and produced weapons. 'That is enough', said Jesus to end a conversation which they had failed to understand. The way of Jesus, as they should have known, was not the way of the sword, but of love."

Source: D.Guthrie, J.A. Motyer, A.M. Stibbs, D.J Wiseman, The New Bible Commentary: Revised Third Edition Guideposts, Carmel New York. p 921 in reference to Luke 22:35-38

Mantis

Nov 2, 2020
The wilderness
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There is a difference between living by the sword and owning a sword for self defense. If you use a gun to rob people, expect to be killed by a gun. If you have a gun in your home to protect you from robbers don’t expect to “die by the sword”

busrider

Aug 5, 2021
So Cal
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There is a difference between living by the sword and owning a sword for self defense. If you use a gun to rob people, expect to be killed by a gun. If you have a gun in your home to protect you from robbers don’t expect to “die by the sword”
As you use the sword so shall you die. The Christian religion is not of defense but of sacrifice, Christ could have called legions done but did not. The ones killed could have prayed and they would have been saved and the ones dong harm to them would have perished but they did not. Ours is not to defend but to give, to love even unto death - our death

busrider

Aug 5, 2021
So Cal
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Would you protect the life of your child or wife? Or should the unarmed be victimized?

You said "self defense" which there is no God given right, it does no good to move the goal post now.

Mantis

Nov 2, 2020
The wilderness
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You said "self defense" which there is no God given right, it does no good to move the goal post now.

I think what Jesus was saying is that if you live by violence you die by violence. Owning a gun doesn't make you violent. The mere object that I own or don't own has nothing to do with the finger behind the trigger. It's on you not the gun. If it was the guns fault every murderer that uses one would use that excuse when they have their day with their maker.