Would you turn in your guns to the government if it ordered you to do so?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Truman

Jul 31, 2020
Brantford
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I'll turn my cheek...I'll die for my Lord...put the lives of my wife and children at risk...prepare to meet your maker, brother!
Just because I'm left-wing doesn't mean I've left reason behind. Peace.

kcnalp

Apr 5, 2020
Indianapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Matthew 6:13 (NKJV)
13 Deliver us from the evil one.

Doesn't anyone else pray this? Doesn't anyone else believe God will protect him/her and family? Did God lie? Should we kill innocent people to save ourselves? Should we send people to Hell to save our lives in this world?

Acts 16:31 (NKJV)
31 "Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and you will be saved, you and your household."

Reactions: busrider

busrider

Aug 5, 2021
So Cal
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think what Jesus was saying is that if you live by violence you die by violence. Owning a gun doesn't make you violent. The mere object that I own or don't own has nothing to do with the finger behind the trigger. It's on you not the gun. If it was the guns fault every murderer that uses one would use that excuse when they have their day with their maker.

The use of the object itself is violence. There is nothing in Scripture about a "God given right to self-defense" nor about guns (swords and guns are two completely different things), this is an American political ideal that has leaked into Christianity making a new thing called American Christianity. While I love America we shouldn't mix political ideals with Christianity.

As an American I say you can't have my gun, as a Christian I must do a God said and obey the authorities He put over us. Now given that juxtaposition it can be hard to be one or the other. Though since being with Christ is eternal I would rather be a Christian then an American Christian though even I can fail at that. I learned sometime ago that it is hard to be a Christian because of the western beliefs

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We hold these Truths to be self-evident, that all Men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life....

Yes I have a right to defend my Life...

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
  • “Arms in the hands of citizens may be used at individual discretion for the defense of the country, the overthrow of tyranny, or private self-defense.” John Adams

busrider

Aug 5, 2021
So Cal
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We hold these Truths to be self-evident, that all Men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life....

Yes I have a right to defend my Life...

• “Arms in the hands of citizens may be used at individual discretion for the defense of the country, the overthrow of tyranny, or private self-defense.” John Adams

Yet nothing in Scriptures about that or guns. I was reading an article and this paragraph stuck out to me:

Among some Christian gun enthusiasts, the sword it mentions stands so unmistakably for guns that the verse can be playfully translated as, “If you don’t have an AR-15, sell your coat and buy one.”

The message for believers gets murkier, however, when considered in the context of Jesus’ other teachings. Elsewhere in the gospels, for example, Jesus rebukes the apostle Peter for using the very weapon he suggested his followers should carry. When the disciples see their teacher seized by armed men the night before he will be crucified, Peter lashes out and cuts off the ear of a priest’s servant. In the Gospel of John, Jesus tells Peter to put his weapon away; his fate is sealed, and there can be no fighting it. In the Gospel of Matthew, Jesus adds a general opprobrium against meeting force with force, saying, “Put up again thy sword into his place: for all they that take the sword shall perish with the sword.”

Still reading the rest at here Does the Bible Enshrine a 'God-Given Right' to Shoot in Self Defense? I found this article researching the subject

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yet nothing in Scriptures about that or guns.

A couple of points:
Scripturally;
* weapons for offense & defense were: stones, swords, bows, arrows, spears, armor, shields
* men were armed for home defense.
* men were armed for nation defense.
* men governing homes were tyrants.
* men governing homes were righteous.
* men governing nations were tyrants.
* men governing nations were righteous.
* thieves / armies attacked unaware.
* thieves /armies continue to attack unaware.

Scripturally taught IS to BE:
Informed,Aware,Cautious,Prepared,Defend.

The US govt. was established with the same (and other) Biblical principles.
The US govt. has run amuck. (Oversteps its boundaries on a regular basis. Called tyrannical and an all incompassing word; Corrupt.)

* Peoples TRUST the US govt will DO what is RIGHT, has become MOOT.
* Peoples RIGHT to maintain and exercise authority of being:
Informed,Aware,Cautious,Prepared, Defend
Their Home, Property, Lives, Household...
Continues....WITH SOME....and
WITH OTHERS...they have already cowered down and become submissive to tyrants.

If you are looking for Scriptural basis;
Perhaps a few mentioned here will give you a clue.

1 Cor 12:
[2] They were armed with bows, and could use both the right hand and the left in hurling stones and shooting arrows out of a bow, even of Saul's brethren of Benjamin.
[23] And these are the numbers of the bands that were ready armed to the war, and came to David to Hebron, to turn the kingdom of Saul to him, according to the word of the LORD.
[24] The children of Judah that bare shield and spear were six thousand and eight hundred, ready armed to the war.

Neh 4:
[22] Likewise at the same time said I unto the people, Let every one with his servant lodge within Jerusalem, that in the night they may be a guard to us, and labour on the day.

Job 24:
[14] The murderer rising with the light killeth the poor and needy, and in the night is as a thief.

Ex 22:
[2] If a thief be found breaking up, and be smitten that he die, there shall no blood be shed for him.

Luke 11:
[21] When a strong man armed keepeth his palace, his goods are in peace:

2 Sam 22:
[35] He teacheth my hands to war; so that a bow of steel is broken by mine arms.

Luke 22:
[36] Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.

Neh 4:
[14] And I looked, and rose up, and said unto the nobles, and to the rulers, and to the rest of the people, Be not ye afraid of them: remember the Lord, which is great and terrible, and fight for your brethren, your sons, and your daughters, your wives, and your houses.

1 Tim 5:
[8] But if any provide not for his own, and specially for those of his own house, he hath denied the faith, and is worse than an infidel.

It is not only RIGHT I provide, care for, defend my Home and Household...it is Commanded by God.

It is the Lord God above all things that I TRUST.

Glory to God,
Taken

Reactions: Ziggy

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'll turn my cheek...I'll die for my Lord... put the lives of my wife and children at risk ...prepare to meet your maker, brother!

Reasonable to put the lives of your wife and children at risk....of oppressive tyrants?

Turning the other cheek, is not about submissiveness...it is expressly about not perpetrating Vengeance.

It is "NOT" reasonable for you to care for and protect your household?
Uh...wayward reasoning.

Reactions: Truman

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'll turn my cheek... I'll die for my Lord ...put the lives of my wife and children at risk...prepare to meet your maker, brother!

Truman - "I'll die for my Lord"

I have already Voluntarly, (expressly according to Gods OWN acceptable WAY)
by my own FREEWILL,
by my own WORD,
by my own CONVICTION,
by my own TESTIMONY;
* given my Life and: "DIED" FOR my Lord.

My household has done the SAME.

Protecting My household FROM Tyrants...
Oppressive governments (of men)
(Men) Thieves in the night....
is Expressly FOR ONE PURPOSE:
* While still alive in my flesh body, to SERVE my Lord, with HIS WORD in my mouth;
being given to OTHER men to Hear.

If you have anyone has become "submissive" to tyrants...
The word in your their mouth that comes forth to other men...will be the word of the tyrants.

And 'politically'...between the Left who submits to and repeats the word of an oppressive govt and the Right who submits to and repeats the Word of God...
IS the crux of the "political" Divide.

Glory to God,
Taken

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The use of the object itself is violence. There is nothing in Scripture about a "God given right to self-defense" nor about guns (swords and guns are two completely different things), this is an American political ideal that has leaked into Christianity making a new thing called American Christianity. While I love America we shouldn't mix political ideals with Christianity.

As an American I say you can't have my gun, as a Christian I must do a God said and obey the authorities He put over us. Now given that juxtaposition it can be hard to be one or the other. Though since being with Christ is eternal I would rather be a Christian then an American Christian though even I can fail at that. I learned sometime ago that it is hard to be a Christian because of the western beliefs

If your governing authority OVER you, dictates: They have supreme authority OVER YOU, OVER YOUR CHILDREN....YOU are Scripturally Oblidged to YEILD to them?
Uh NO!

There are Caveats...
Governments are established to Govern over the People.

People who beg for a Corrupt Government, shall get that....as God will provide.
People who pray for a Just Government,
Shall get that....as God will provide.

Considering...should the People themselves be more in number, begging for a Corrupt Government....
Should persons, Fewer in number:
become submission TO THE Corruption of a Governing power?

Gods Answer...
Acts 5:
[29] Then Peter and the other apostles answered and said, We ought to obey God rather than men.

That Same principle was established for the people being Governed by a US government.

Obedience of and submissiveness of the governed under a governing power...always hinges on the governing power:
BEING UPSTANDING.

OPEN your eyes, OPEN your ears...
LISTEN, OBSERVE to what your Corrupt governing Powers are DOING and are INTENDING to do.
SEE IF what they do, and intend to do fall in line with Gods Word....AND what Scripture says TO DO when governing powers DO NOT fall in line with Gods Word.

Glory to God,
Taken

Mantis

Nov 2, 2020
The wilderness
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

To each his own I guess. I think you are mis understanding the whole thing. You have a God given right to self defense. You are not to revenge. That’s left up to him. That’s turning the other cheek. But going out among wolves, you should sell your puffy coat and buy a gun.

Reactions: Truman