You Know You're Getting Old When...

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
We had one of those - and the people sharing our line were always on the phone.
There is a hilarious video on Facebook of some young people trying to use one of the old phones. They can figure out that they have to turn the dial, but none of them can work out that they have to pick the receiver up first !
Rita
This is how it used to be in country areas, years ago.

The local telephone exchange might typically be in someone's house.

CoreIssue

Oct 15, 2018
USA
christiantalkzone.net
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I would like to completely get rid of my landline, but it is required for Internet. Wireless Internet is just way too expensive.

B

Butterfly

This is how it used to be in country areas, years ago.

The local telephone exchange might typically be in someone's house.
Really - I am not old enough , we had proper telephone exchanges in Brighton. I still remember how exciting we were at getting a phone, and later when we got carpet on the floor and central heating- luxuries we take for granted now.
Rita

Reactions: CoreIssue

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Oh yes...the corded rotary phones. :)

No, you are getting old when you start moaning to each other that the adult grandkids have not texted you or come by to say hello. :)

In getting older we become more obsolete to their life. :(

Open your wallet wider, and if it does not echo when say hello in your wallet....grandkids can be your Bestest "momentary" bud...

God Bless,
Taken

Reactions: Helen

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Open your wallet wider, and if it does not echo when say hello in your wallet....grandkids can be your Bestest "momentary" bud...

God Bless,
Taken

I can bring my one married granddaughter here on the way home from work , and she always stays for a chat. I text and say- " I have an envelope here for you." She know that means money. :)
I know she has a good job , but she worries about money..they bought a house and then a much needed new car for hubby. I like to help them out from time to time, and they are both good savers.

The other married granddaughter , not so much. She and Hubby live in our self contained basement. They 'say' they want a house, but no lie, every other day she gets an on line shopping parcel delivered...we have to sign for them or pay the duty etc. She boasts of 70 pairs of shoes and boots...mountains of top line clothes... So no, I'll help someone who is diligent, but just can't make myself give this one anything $ wise.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dave L

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Really - I am not old enough , we had proper telephone exchanges in Brighton. I still remember how exciting we were at getting a phone, and later when we got carpet on the floor and central heating- luxuries we take for granted now.
Rita
It's the simple things we remember and appreciate best, in the long run.

D

Dave L

Did your parents ever tell you to be careful so you "don't poke your eye out"? Or mom would wash your mouth out with soap for cussing? Or tell you "do not lick frosty playground equipment"? I saw the movie "A Christmas Story" this past season. They portrayed all of this as the norm back in the 40s -50s. It was like growing up all over again.

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Did your parents ever tell you to be careful so you "don't poke your eye out"? Or mom would wash your mouth out with soap for cussing? Or tell you "do not lick frosty playground equipment"? I saw the movie "A Christmas Story" this past season. They portrayed all of this as the norm back in the 40s -50s. It was like growing up all over again.

Haha! Good memories..so, with the ocean between us at that time..our mothers all had the same phrases!! Interesting.. eh?
I'm sure ye old English mum's had it first...but I can't see those saying being taken across on the Mayflower??? Neither would I think English movies were popular back at the turn of the 1900's ..so how come the phrases are universal.
France and Germany closer...I can only guess that they used them too.(scratching of head o_O )

Reactions: Dave L
D

Dave L

Haha! Good memories..so, with the ocean between us at that time..our mothers all had the same phrases!! Interesting.. eh?
I'm sure ye old English mum's had it first...but I can't see those saying being taken across on the Mayflower??? Neither would I think English movies were popular back at the turn of the 1900's ..so how come the phrases are universal.
France and Germany closer...I can only guess that they used them too.(scratching of head o_O )
It's a wonder I'm not still blowing bubbles............. I still use Ivory bar soap in the shower. I developed a real taste for it.

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I can bring my one married granddaughter here on the way home from work , and she always stays for a chat. I text and say- " I have an envelope here for you." She know that means money. :)
I know she has a good job , but she worries about money..they bought a house and then a much needed new car for hubby. I like to help them out from time to time, and they are both good savers.

The other married granddaughter , not so much. She and Hubby live in our self contained basement. They 'say' they want a house, but no lie, every other day she gets an on line shopping parcel delivered...we have to sign for them or pay the duty etc. She boasts of 70 pairs of shoes and boots...mountains of top line clothes... So no, I'll help someone who is diligent, but just can't make myself give this one anything $ wise.

I get it. They "WANT" a house, but are not willing to set aside the "extras" to Invest in a house...when they can stay with you, have the convenience of a house, probably a meal now and then on G-ma, while the FUN deliveries keep coming for them.

Sort of a more recent phenomenon, of Married kids Adults living with parents and G-parents.

Not like the old days, when a kids got married, the parents broke their plate, sent their junk with them, reclaimed their bedroom and the kids became occasional guests.

God Bless,
Taken

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Sort of a more recent phenomenon, of Married kids Adults living with parents and G-parents.

Not like the old days, when a kids got married, the parents broke their plate, sent their junk with them, reclaimed their bedroom and the kids became occasional guests.

God Bless,
Taken

Okay, question. Do you think this happened when "kids", (teen-20's) lived at home longer because they were at university doing one degree and then a Masters after another..degree.. Or, is is personality / character.
My diligent Gd which is a saver and has been since she was 12,lived at home until married last year, but took her years of savings and put a hearty deposite on a house. The other one saves very little, but loves to spend. Both raised by diligent saving parents that have a good lifestyle.
It seems the one Gd expects to have her parents lifestyle without 'hurting' to get it.

But I do somehow feel that generally now, it is that they are "in school" for many many years from 5- 20's Whereas our men were in the army at 18 learning discipline... and I went to work two weeks before my 15th birthday!!
Most of my friends were working by 15 back then. We married at 19, and were grown-ups by 25ish.

I wonder....

D

Dave L

PS: I sometimes long for the days before cellphones... :)
I always regarded my cell phone as an "ankle monitor" like they make people wear under house arrest. My wife and I got rid of all phones for several months and it greatly improved our peace and tranquility. We offered anyone wanting to reach us our e-mail address. We now have one flip phone with the number unknown to all except a close relative. And it remains off most of the time. Peace at last......

Reactions: Helen and farouk

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
I always regarded my cell phone as an "ankle monitor" like they make people wear under house arrest. My wife and I got rid of all phones for several months and it greatly improved our peace and tranquility. We offered anyone wanting to reach us our e-mail address. We now have one flip phone with the number unknown to all except a close relative. And it remains off most of the time. Peace at last......
It's a bit like the policeman's walkie-talkie, after when they were introduced, some police posts ceased to be sinecures...

Reactions: Helen and Dave L

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
But I do somehow feel that generally now, it is that they are "in school" for many many years from 5- 20's Whereas our men were in the army at 18 learning discipline... and I went to work two weeks before my 15th birthday!!
Most of my friends were working by 15 back then. We married at 19, and were grown-ups by 25ish.

I wonder....
Yes, ppl talk about life-long learning these days and there doesn't seem to be a clear cut line between being a student and a wage earner.

Mind you, when it comes to certain things today, such as tattoos, piercings, etc., they claim adult rights very quickly now, right? ;)

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
@"ByGrace" The issue is really, at that age, not to try to stop them getting tattoos, piercings, etc. (which are probably pretty harmless), but: if they are not wage earners, can they really afford to keep spending a lot of money in those establishments until they are more secure financially, right?

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Okay, question. Do you think this happened when "kids", (teen-20's) lived at home longer because they were at university doing one degree and then a Masters after another..degree.. Or, is is personality / character.
My diligent Gd which is a saver and has been since she was 12,lived at home until married last year, but took her years of savings and put a hearty deposite on a house. The other one saves very little, but loves to spend. Both raised by diligent saving parents that have a good lifestyle.
It seems the one Gd expects to have her parents lifestyle without 'hurting' to get it.

I wonder....

I started working at 11 and assumed providing my own needs, clothes, shoes, entertainment, bedroom furniture, etc. and graduated at 17. Older siblings also graduated at 17. We all moved out after graduation, got jobs, got our own apts, and paid our own way to advanced schooling, None of us went back home to live. When we married and began families, G-parents did not "babysit" but did have plenty of often visit time.

Adults moving back in with parents and especially with their own families, may have started as a trend of college students coming back for the summer and sinking into the routine of being the kid and the parents being the endless money bags. Then when they finish college and have that Paper in hand, they are assuming they are entitled to a job and pay of importance and deserve that recognition, and often find that is far from the case, and will not continue pursing.
They want the comfort level their parents have, without having been exposed to the struggles their parents went through to have what they have. Their option becomes be sponges off their parents, and the parents to a great extend are pretty happy to hang on to their "babies" and "expanding family", thinking they are helping them to "get ahead"....when in reality they become enablers and then the parents can't figure out how to oust them without severing the relationship to detrimental proportions.

I'm sure there are all kinds of individual situations that become the "REASONS" why so many adults (and with their families) are living with parents.

I had a similar situation and handed my kid a calendar and said circle the date you are moving out....and stuck to it! Lol

And at some point they all tried the Oh me Oh my I am short on funds for such n such.

Hard for parents to say No...but learned a different strategy to say...gee thanks for sharing, what are YOU going to do about that.

It's an endless learning curve, and not news kids will flock to an endless giver.

God Bless,
Taken

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You know you're getting old when the little old lady you help across the street is your Wife.

Taken

Reactions: farouk