Your favorite Psalm?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
@Waiting on him

FYI:

Psalm 22:

My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me? why art thou so far from helping me, and from the words of my roaring?

2 O my God, I cry in the day time, but thou hearest not; and in the night season, and am not silent.

3 But thou art holy, O thou that inhabitest the praises of Israel.

4 Our fathers trusted in thee: they trusted, and thou didst deliver them.

5 They cried unto thee, and were delivered: they trusted in thee, and were not confounded.

6 But I am a worm, and no man; a reproach of men, and despised of the people.

7 All they that see me laugh me to scorn: they shoot out the lip, they shake the head, saying,

8 He trusted on the Lord that he would deliver him: let him deliver him, seeing he delighted in him.

9 But thou art he that took me out of the womb: thou didst make me hope when I was upon my mother's breasts.

10 I was cast upon thee from the womb: thou art my God from my mother's belly.

11 Be not far from me; for trouble is near; for there is none to help.

12 Many bulls have compassed me: strong bulls of Bashan have beset me round.

13 They gaped upon me with their mouths, as a ravening and a roaring lion.

14 I am poured out like water, and all my bones are out of joint: my heart is like wax; it is melted in the midst of my bowels.

15 My strength is dried up like a potsherd; and my tongue cleaveth to my jaws; and thou hast brought me into the dust of death.

16 For dogs have compassed me: the assembly of the wicked have inclosed me: they pierced my hands and my feet.

17 I may tell all my bones: they look and stare upon me.

18 They part my garments among them, and cast lots upon my vesture.

19 But be not thou far from me, O Lord: O my strength, haste thee to help me.

20 Deliver my soul from the sword; my darling from the power of the dog.

21 Save me from the lion's mouth: for thou hast heard me from the horns of the unicorns.

22 I will declare thy name unto my brethren: in the midst of the congregation will I praise thee.

23 Ye that fear the Lord, praise him; all ye the seed of Jacob, glorify him; and fear him, all ye the seed of Israel.

24 For he hath not despised nor abhorred the affliction of the afflicted; neither hath he hid his face from him; but when he cried unto him, he heard.

25 My praise shall be of thee in the great congregation: I will pay my vows before them that fear him.

26 The meek shall eat and be satisfied: they shall praise the Lord that seek him: your heart shall live for ever.

27 All the ends of the world shall remember and turn unto the Lord: and all the kindreds of the nations shall worship before thee.

28 For the kingdom is the Lord's: and he is the governor among the nations.

29 All they that be fat upon earth shall eat and worship: all they that go down to the dust shall bow before him: and none can keep alive his own soul.

30 A seed shall serve him; it shall be accounted to the Lord for a generation.

31 They shall come, and shall declare his righteousness unto a people that shall be born, that he hath done this.

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Waiting on him

FYI:

Psalm 22:

My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me? why art thou so far from helping me, and from the words of my roaring?

2 O my God, I cry in the day time, but thou hearest not; and in the night season, and am not silent.

3 But thou art holy, O thou that inhabitest the praises of Israel.

4 Our fathers trusted in thee: they trusted, and thou didst deliver them.

5 They cried unto thee, and were delivered: they trusted in thee, and were not confounded.

6 But I am a worm, and no man; a reproach of men, and despised of the people.

7 All they that see me laugh me to scorn: they shoot out the lip, they shake the head, saying,

8 He trusted on the Lord that he would deliver him: let him deliver him, seeing he delighted in him.

9 But thou art he that took me out of the womb: thou didst make me hope when I was upon my mother's breasts.

10 I was cast upon thee from the womb: thou art my God from my mother's belly.

11 Be not far from me; for trouble is near; for there is none to help.

12 Many bulls have compassed me: strong bulls of Bashan have beset me round.

13 They gaped upon me with their mouths, as a ravening and a roaring lion.

14 I am poured out like water, and all my bones are out of joint: my heart is like wax; it is melted in the midst of my bowels.

15 My strength is dried up like a potsherd; and my tongue cleaveth to my jaws; and thou hast brought me into the dust of death.

16 For dogs have compassed me: the assembly of the wicked have inclosed me: they pierced my hands and my feet.

17 I may tell all my bones: they look and stare upon me.

18 They part my garments among them, and cast lots upon my vesture.

19 But be not thou far from me, O Lord: O my strength, haste thee to help me.

20 Deliver my soul from the sword; my darling from the power of the dog.

21 Save me from the lion's mouth: for thou hast heard me from the horns of the unicorns.

22 I will declare thy name unto my brethren: in the midst of the congregation will I praise thee.

23 Ye that fear the Lord, praise him; all ye the seed of Jacob, glorify him; and fear him, all ye the seed of Israel.

24 For he hath not despised nor abhorred the affliction of the afflicted; neither hath he hid his face from him; but when he cried unto him, he heard.

25 My praise shall be of thee in the great congregation: I will pay my vows before them that fear him.

26 The meek shall eat and be satisfied: they shall praise the Lord that seek him: your heart shall live for ever.

27 All the ends of the world shall remember and turn unto the Lord: and all the kindreds of the nations shall worship before thee.

28 For the kingdom is the Lord's: and he is the governor among the nations.

29 All they that be fat upon earth shall eat and worship: all they that go down to the dust shall bow before him: and none can keep alive his own soul.

30 A seed shall serve him; it shall be accounted to the Lord for a generation.

31 They shall come, and shall declare his righteousness unto a people that shall be born, that he hath done this.
30 is very interesting!

charity

Nov 26, 2017
UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Hello @farouk

I started reading from Genesis chapter one this morning, and in relation to verse three, 'And God said ... ',the margin of my Bible referred me to Psalm 33:9, and reading it I thought of you, and wanted to share it with you.

'Let all the earth fear the LORD:
let all the inhabitants of the world stand in awe of Him.
For He spake, and it was done;
He commanded, and it stood fast.
The LORD bringeth the counsel of the heathen to nought:
He maketh the devices of the people of none effect.
The counsel of the LORD standeth for ever,
the thoughts of His heart to all generations.'

(Psalm 33:8-12)

Praise God!

This is so encouraging today, when the world is undergoing such upheaval and change, both politically, geologically, meteorologically, and in the world of science and technology. Knowledge is increasing in all areas, but not the knowledge of God.

Nation is rising against nation, and ties of friendship and trust are being strained, but
'the counsel of the Lord standeth for ever, the thoughts of His heart to all generations'.

Praise His Holy Name!

In Christ Jesus
Chris

Reactions: farouk

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Hello @farouk

I started reading from Genesis chapter one this morning, and in relation to verse three, 'And God said ... ',the margin of my Bible referred me to Psalm 33:9, and reading it I thought of you, and wanted to share it with you.

'Let all the earth fear the LORD:
let all the inhabitants of the world stand in awe of Him.
For He spake, and it was done;
He commanded, and it stood fast.
The LORD bringeth the counsel of the heathen to nought:
He maketh the devices of the people of none effect.
The counsel of the LORD standeth for ever,
the thoughts of His heart to all generations.'

(Psalm 33:8-12)

Praise God!

This is so encouraging today, when the world is undergoing such upheaval and change, both politically, geologically, meteorologically, and in the world of science and technology. Knowledge is increasing in all areas, but not the knowledge of God.

Nation is rising against nation, and ties of friendship and trust are being strained, but
'the counsel of the Lord standeth for ever, the thoughts of His heart to all generations'.

Praise His Holy Name!

In Christ Jesus
Chris
Another searching Psalm...

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
My favorite Psalm right now is Psalm 40. I also like 56 as well.
"I waited patiently for the Lord; and he inclined unto me, and heard my cry.

2 He brought me up also out of an horrible pit, out of the miry clay, and set my feet upon a rock, and established my goings.

3 And he hath put a new song in my mouth, even praise unto our God: many shall see it, and fear, and shall trust in the Lord.

4 Blessed is that man that maketh the Lord his trust, and respecteth not the proud, nor such as turn aside to lies.

5 Many, O Lord my God, are thy wonderful works which thou hast done, and thy thoughts which are to us-ward: they cannot be reckoned up in order unto thee: if I would declare and speak of them, they are more than can be numbered.

6 Sacrifice and offering thou didst not desire; mine ears hast thou opened: burnt offering and sin offering hast thou not required.

7 Then said I, Lo, I come: in the volume of the book it is written of me,

8 I delight to do thy will, O my God: yea, thy law is within my heart.

9 I have preached righteousness in the great congregation: lo, I have not refrained my lips, O Lord, thou knowest.

10 I have not hid thy righteousness within my heart; I have declared thy faithfulness and thy salvation: I have not concealed thy lovingkindness and thy truth from the great congregation.

11 Withhold not thou thy tender mercies from me, O Lord: let thy lovingkindness and thy truth continually preserve me.

12 For innumerable evils have compassed me about: mine iniquities have taken hold upon me, so that I am not able to look up; they are more than the hairs of mine head: therefore my heart faileth me.

13 Be pleased, O Lord, to deliver me: O Lord, make haste to help me.

14 Let them be ashamed and confounded together that seek after my soul to destroy it; let them be driven backward and put to shame that wish me evil.

15 Let them be desolate for a reward of their shame that say unto me, Aha, aha.

16 Let all those that seek thee rejoice and be glad in thee: let such as love thy salvation say continually, The Lord be magnified.

17 But I am poor and needy; yet the Lord thinketh upon me: thou art my help and my deliverer; make no tarrying, O my God."

I like to read Psalm 40, above, in conjunction with Ephesians 1 & 2: the sinner's experience in the depths, from which God brought him to His praise and honour.

Reactions: Preacher4Truth

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Psalm 139 was referred to on the other thread:

O lord, thou hast searched me, and known me.

2 Thou knowest my downsitting and mine uprising, thou understandest my thought afar off.

3 Thou compassest my path and my lying down, and art acquainted with all my ways.

4 For there is not a word in my tongue, but, lo, O Lord, thou knowest it altogether.

5 Thou hast beset me behind and before, and laid thine hand upon me.

6 Such knowledge is too wonderful for me; it is high, I cannot attain unto it.

7 Whither shall I go from thy spirit? or whither shall I flee from thy presence?

8 If I ascend up into heaven, thou art there: if I make my bed in hell, behold, thou art there.

9 If I take the wings of the morning, and dwell in the uttermost parts of the sea;

10 Even there shall thy hand lead me, and thy right hand shall hold me.

11 If I say, Surely the darkness shall cover me; even the night shall be light about me.

12 Yea, the darkness hideth not from thee; but the night shineth as the day: the darkness and the light are both alike to thee.

13 For thou hast possessed my reins: thou hast covered me in my mother's womb.

14 I will praise thee; for I am fearfully and wonderfully made: marvellous are thy works; and that my soul knoweth right well.

15 My substance was not hid from thee, when I was made in secret, and curiously wrought in the lowest parts of the earth.

16 Thine eyes did see my substance, yet being unperfect; and in thy book all my members were written, which in continuance were fashioned, when as yet there was none of them.

17 How precious also are thy thoughts unto me, O God! how great is the sum of them!

18 If I should count them, they are more in number than the sand: when I awake, I am still with thee.

19 Surely thou wilt slay the wicked, O God: depart from me therefore, ye bloody men.

20 For they speak against thee wickedly, and thine enemies take thy name in vain.

21 Do not I hate them, O Lord, that hate thee? and am not I grieved with those that rise up against thee?

22 I hate them with perfect hatred: I count them mine enemies.

23 Search me, O God, and know my heart: try me, and know my thoughts:

24 And see if there be any wicked way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting.

Reactions: charity

charity

Nov 26, 2017
UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Hello there,

When I was in my teens and terribly self-conscious and shy, I was asked to choose and read aloud a psalm at the beginning of a practice session for the, 'Youth For Christ,' choir that I was part of. I chose one which was quite long, and had the word, 'Selah', 'seemingly' between each verse: and was embarrassed to see, when I raised my head at the end of the reading, to see smiles of amusement on the faces of everyone. For, I did not know that the word, 'Selah' was not intended to be read, but simply acknowledged.

I have read that it is used in 39 psalms out of the 150. It is intended to show the inter-relation of two verses together, either to mark an expansion of what has been said in the former, or a contrast to it; or to give an explanation of what has been said; or call our attention to the latter, as being the cause or the effect of the former, or as being the reason, or the consequence of it.

In Christ Jesus,
Chris

Last edited:

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Hello there,

When I was in my teens and terribly self-conscious and shy, I was asked to choose and read aloud a psalm at the beginning of a practice session for the, 'Youth For Christ,' choir that I was part of. I chose one which was quite long, and had the word, 'Selah', 'seemingly' between each verse: and was embarrassed to see, when I raised my head at the end of the reading, to see smiles of amusement on the faces of everyone. For, I did not know that the word, 'Selah' was not intended to be read, but simply acknowledged.

I have read that it is used in 39 psalms out of the 150. It is intended to show the inter-relation of two verses together, either to mark an expansion of what has been said in the former, or a contrast to it; or to give an explanation of what has been said; or call our attention to the latter, as being the cause or the effect of the former, or as being the reason, or the consequence of it.

In Christ Jesus,
Chris
In French, 'Selah' is sometimes rendered 'Pause'.

Reactions: charity

charity

Nov 26, 2017
UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
(A Psalm of David, when he fled from Absalom his son)
(1) LORD, how are they increased that trouble me! many are they that rise up against me.
(2) Many there be which say of my soul, There is no help for him in God. Selah.
(3) But thou, O LORD, art a shield for me; my glory, and the lifter up of mine head.
(4) I cried unto the LORD with my voice, and he heard me out of his holy hill. Selah.
(5) I laid me down and slept; I awaked; for the LORD sustained me.
(6) I will not be afraid of ten thousands of people, that have set themselves against me round about.
(7) Arise, O LORD; save me, O my God: for thou hast smitten all mine enemies upon the cheek bone; thou hast broken the teeth of the ungodly.
(8) Salvation belongeth unto the LORD: thy blessing is upon thy people. Selah.
(Psalm 3:1-8)

'Selah' comes between verses 2 & 3; 4 & 5 and verse 8 connects with the first verse of the following psalm (4:1)

* David says in verse 2:-
'Many there be which say of my soul, "There is no help for him in God (Elohim)"'

* Here the 'Selah' is intended to contrast God as Jehovah in verse 3, with God as Elohim in verse 2.

* Comparing these two verses, the contrast is easily seen, isn't it? Man, being a creation of God, knows God only as the Creator (Elohim) : He does not know God as 'Jehovah', His covenant Lord: but David does; and can say with complete confidence,
'Thou, O Jehovah, art a Shield about me, My glory, and the lifter up of my head.' (2 Samuel 15-18).

* This word 'selah' causes us to contrast the false assertions of man, with the truth of God's faithfulness to those who are His.

Praise God!

* I will leave the consideration of verses 4 & 5 and 8 & 4:1, to another time, for the sun is drawing me out doors. :)

In Christ Jesus
Chris

Last edited:

charity

Nov 26, 2017
UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
In French, 'Selah' is sometimes rendered 'Pause'.
Yes, @farouk,

That 'pause' is for us to stop and consider what is being said to us in the verses highlighted by the use of the word, 'Selah'.

Praise God!

In Christ Jesus
Chris

Reactions: farouk