Your Spiritual Temperature

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I heard a pastor suggest we not be “taking our spiritual temperature” all the time.

It can become an obsession constantly questioning ourselves, making ourselves crazy thinking we have to become good enough for God. Or that we have to stay good enough, or however you want to say it.

Our reconciliation to God is found in Jesus Christ's life, His righteousness, His obedience death, alone, having believed. If we try to switch that over to ourselves, as if somehow we have our hand on the spigot, and we have to figure whether we are OK with God or not, and if not, we've got to figure how to make it right again, well, I put that behind me, in faith that Jesus has reconciled me to God. Jesus never changes, so His ministry to me never never never changes, and He remains my High Priest FOREVER! Always always interceding for me!

Can you imagine?

Every out of control act, errent thought, work of the flesh, forever and always He intercedes for me! This is the joy of salvation. I am comletely free to be with my Father, my Brother, free to know my Creator, the peace and joy that is in this thought is inexpressible!

Law provokes sin, because sin is hostile to God. Living according to the knowledge of Good and Evil was not God's original design. God's original design was innocence with liberty. And He included 1 test, that if failed, would require correction. This is nothing different than is in our lives.

God gives us tests. If we do the right thing, we've become more firm in our new creation. If we do the wrong thing, we receive correction. Maybe just the emptiness of something that has no value, maybe the pain of something harmful. All these tests/temptations we get through our lives are there to show where we need work, and contribute towards our repair.

God gave humanity, in Adam, that one test, that if he did the right thing, perhaps then there would have been ripe fruit on the Tree of Life. But he did the wrong thing, and showed something about humanity, that being created good isn't enough, we need to be united to our Creator, to be as one with Him, as He alone is intrinsically good. We can have goodness, and lose it, but He cannot.

So failing the test, and the introduction of sin into humanity is now used by God to drive us into His arms, and once there, He removes the burden. Jesus forever lives to intercede for us. "Come to Me, all you who are weary, heavy laden, and I will give you rest."

And in this way, we don't have to wait until we have the incorruptible flesh before we can have pure and true intimate unbroken communion with our Creator. Because this is found not in me, not in my ability, or my good behavior, fellowship with God is found in Jesus Christ, and Him alone. His righteousness, given to me.

It is in this way that we open our hearts fully to God, trusting Him, because we KNOW He holds NOTHING against us, not now, not ever, again, it's in Jesus, and Jesus does not change. Because we are forgiven, and we know we are beloved, received, accepted, His, and He loves us, and takes us to Himself, promises to never cast us out, promises to care for all our needs, promises to sanctify us, empower us, and lets us know this will be a process, that will last over the course of our lives.

When we get out of control, when we fail to walk in the Spirit, and end up in works of the flesh, because of who we are, we hate it. The part inside that seems to want it, well, it does, that's sin that lives in us, in the flesh, that is, the old man born of Adam. Make no mistake - you are the new man born of God, and you hate sin. Isn't that true?

We can only do what we can do, and God knows that. He knows are weakness, He is sympathetic to our weakness. And He's bringing us home.

He promised.

Much love!

Reactions: Helen and Azim

forever

Jul 7, 2021
Kampen
Faith
Christian
Country
Netherlands
I heard a pastor suggest we not be “taking our spiritual temperature” all the time.

It can become an obsession constantly questioning ourselves, making ourselves crazy thinking we have to become good enough for God. Or that we have to stay good enough, or however you want to say it.

Our reconciliation to God is found in Jesus Christ's life, His righteousness, His obedience death, alone, having believed. If we try to switch that over to ourselves, as if somehow we have our hand on the spigot, and we have to figure whether we are OK with God or not, and if not, we've got to figure how to make it right again, well, I put that behind me, in faith that Jesus has reconciled me to God. Jesus never changes, so His ministry to me never never never changes, and He remains my High Priest FOREVER! Always always interceding for me!

Can you imagine?

Every out of control act, errent thought, work of the flesh, forever and always He intercedes for me! This is the joy of salvation. I am comletely free to be with my Father, my Brother, free to know my Creator, the peace and joy that is in this thought is inexpressible!

Law provokes sin, because sin is hostile to God. Living according to the knowledge of Good and Evil was not God's original design. God's original design was innocence with liberty. And He included 1 test, that if failed, would require correction. This is nothing different than is in our lives.

God gives us tests. If we do the right thing, we've become more firm in our new creation. If we do the wrong thing, we receive correction. Maybe just the emptiness of something that has no value, maybe the pain of something harmful. All these tests/temptations we get through our lives are there to show where we need work, and contribute towards our repair.

God gave humanity, in Adam, that one test, that if he did the right thing, perhaps then there would have been ripe fruit on the Tree of Life. But he did the wrong thing, and showed something about humanity, that being created good isn't enough, we need to be united to our Creator, to be as one with Him, as He alone is intrinsically good. We can have goodness, and lose it, but He cannot.

So failing the test, and the introduction of sin into humanity is now used by God to drive us into His arms, and once there, He removes the burden. Jesus forever lives to intercede for us. "Come to Me, all you who are weary, heavy laden, and I will give you rest."

And in this way, we don't have to wait until we have the incorruptible flesh before we can have pure and true intimate unbroken communion with our Creator. Because this is found not in me, not in my ability, or my good behavior, fellowship with God is found in Jesus Christ, and Him alone. His righteousness, given to me.

It is in this way that we open our hearts fully to God, trusting Him, because we KNOW He holds NOTHING against us, not now, not ever, again, it's in Jesus, and Jesus does not change. Because we are forgiven, and we know we are beloved, received, accepted, His, and He loves us, and takes us to Himself, promises to never cast us out, promises to care for all our needs, promises to sanctify us, empower us, and lets us know this will be a process, that will last over the course of our lives.

When we get out of control, when we fail to walk in the Spirit, and end up in works of the flesh, because of who we are, we hate it. The part inside that seems to want it, well, it does, that's sin that lives in us, in the flesh, that is, the old man born of Adam. Make no mistake - you are the new man born of God, and you hate sin. Isn't that true?

We can only do what we can do, and God knows that. He knows are weakness, He is sympathetic to our weakness. And He's bringing us home.

He promised.

Much love!

that's sin that lives in us, in the flesh, that is, the old man born of Adam. Make no mistake - you are the new man born of God, and you hate sin. Isn't that true?

no ... or better - it 's half the truth

because it aint some vague 'sin living in us'
but this body itself is the sin

or - as God calls this body , in prophets :
the sin
the sackcloth
the idol
the gruesome image
the abomination
the iniquity

... so please dont mistake the reconciliation with the new man
because the new man is only when the soul will live in her original God-created being again

and now the clue :
that can happen in THIS life [-time on earth] .
This is the entire mystery .
A small group this will happen to : then Revelation starts .

this is the "second goal" of what Christ did , this possibility ;
apart from his reconciling the soul with God - legally

Daniel Veler

Apr 17, 2021
Gulf port
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Your spiritual temperature! Mm let’s see. Is that the same thing as Faith? Let me ask you! Have you moved a mountain lately or cast a tree into the sea? If you have your spiritual temperature would be the size of a mustard seed. Thanks be unto God the faith he requires to receive his righteousness is smaller than a mustard seed.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Your spiritual temperature! Mm let’s see. Is that the same thing as Faith? Let me ask you! Have you moved a mountain lately or cast a tree into the sea? If you have your spiritual temperature would be the size of a mustard seed. Thanks be unto God the faith he requires to receive his righteousness is smaller than a mustard seed.
I think of "spiritual temperature" as something like your opinion of your degree of faith, or your opinion of your success in Christianity. Something like that.

Much love!

Reactions: Helen

Heart2Soul

Spiritual Warrior
Staff member
May 10, 2018
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think of it as are we being lukewarm...neither nor cold? Or are we able to maintain a consistent 98 6 F even when our fellow brethren is being rude and crude.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
I think of it as are we being lukewarm...neither hot nor cold? Or are we able to maintain a consistent 98 6 F even when our fellow brethren is being rude and crude.
Lukewarmness is warned against in the letter to the church at Laodicea in Revelation...

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Heart2Soul

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
but this body itself is the sin
False. Actually the word "flesh" is used in two ways in the New Testament: (1) the human body of blood, flesh, and bones and (2) the indwelling sin nature within the soul. Two different things.

The human body is NOT sin. It is made in the image and likeness of God and is called the "temple" (dwelling place) of the Holy Spirit. And this body will be perfected, transformed, glorified, and made into an immortal "spiritual" body of flesh and bones at the Resurrection/Rapture. Gnosticism declares the body to be evil, but God does not.

On the other hand "the flesh" or sin nature is corrupt but has not been eradicated after the New Birth. At the same time it cannot (and must not) have dominion over the Christian, since it was metaphorically crucified on the cross of Calvary. So we are to crucify or mortify "the flesh" daily. But not be preoccupied with it.

Christians should not be preoccupied with their performance, but rather be preoccupied with righteous thoughts, good works and righteous deeds. The rest will take care of itself.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
False. Actually the word "flesh" is used in two ways in the New Testament: (1) the human body of blood, flesh, and bones and (2) the indwelling sin nature within the soul. Two different things.
A word study of "sarx", flesh, may show you something different. It did me. There is such overwhelming specificity in how the word is used, and also in relation to "soma", body.

I've concluded that the "sin nature" is another way to describe the corruption introduced to the body by sin. Until, that is, the corruptible puts on incorruption.

Much love!

Wynona

Staff member
Encounter Team
Jan 27, 2021
North Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I don't think evaluating yourself before God is a bad thing. Its even biblical.

Philippians 2:12 KJV

12 Wherefore, my beloved, as ye have always obeyed, not as in my presence only, but now much more in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling.

In Romans, Paul warns the church not to be highminded but fear.

Romans 11:19-21 KJV

19 Thou wilt say then, The branches were broken off, that I might be grafted in.

20 Well; because of unbelief they were broken off, and thou standest by faith. Be not highminded, but fear:

21 For if God spared not the natural branches, take heed lest he also spare not thee.

I think evaluating our spiritual temperature can be good. We need to make sure we are not lukewarm, after all.

You said its all about the righteousness of God given to you. The righteousness of Christ alone. But aren't we to be righteous as well?

Matthew 5:20 KJV

20 For I say unto you, That except your righteousness shall exceed the righteousness of the scribes and Pharisees, ye shall in no case enter into the kingdom of heaven.

People will argue that the righteousness only comes from the imputed righteousness of Christ. It's true that the blood of Christ makes us righteous. But we are to then walk in that righteousness, abiding in Christ.

I don't think this is the flesh but rather a biblical command.

Righteousness is in our actions as well as the covering of Christ's blood and I think the Scriptures testify to this.

James 2:14 KJV

14 What doth it profit, my brethren, though a man say he hath faith, and have not works? can faith save him?

So I believe the Scriptures are pointing to faith evidenced by obedience.

Now if we sin, we can confess that and be restored.

But the reason Im saying all this is because I was told the confusing lines of "works based righteousness " as if all my attempts to be Holy were my flesh and I wasn't trusting in God's grace enough.

As a younger Christian, I felt like I was always on the verge of trying "too hard" and slipping into "works based salvation". And if that meant I wasn't trusting in Jesus's grace, that would indeed be horrible.

But the thing is, Holiness and obedience do require effort at times on my part. But that is because the flesh does not want to be Holy.

But when I stopped listening to traditions and certain theologies and read the Scriptures, it validated my struggle.

Sin desires to have us like a predator, a roaring lion seeking to devour but we must rule over it. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.

Resisting is an act of faith. Obedience comes from faith, not "works based righteousness. "

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia

Can you imagine?

He promised.

Much love!
It is true what you say here marks....we are in him. It is not God who separates us from himself but we ourselves who separate from God with sustained disobedience/rebellion.

How does this work? This is how I see it.....rebellion makes us believe we are not good enough and can never be good enough. It takes our focus from God's promises and puts the focus on ourselves and in so doing we forget or disbelieve God's sure promises. We abandon where our hope actually is even while mouthing the opposite.

Obedience is never for earning favour, obedience is the choice all who are led by the Spirit aspire to. Excuses and justifications for lack of obedience maintained will surely do its destructive work....and God weeps.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America

12 Wherefore, my beloved, as ye have always obeyed, not as in my presence only, but now much more in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling.

19 Thou wilt say then, The branches were broken off, that I might be grafted in.

20 Well; because of unbelief they were broken off, and thou standest by faith. Be not highminded, but fear:

21 For if God spared not the natural branches, take heed lest he also spare not thee.

I think evaluating our spiritual temperature can be good. We need to make sure we are not lukewarm, after all.

You said its all about the righteousness of God given to you. The righteousness of Christ alone. But aren't we to be righteous as well?

20 For I say unto you, That except your righteousness shall exceed the righteousness of the scribes and Pharisees, ye shall in no case enter into the kingdom of heaven.

People will argue that the righteousness only comes from the imputed righteousness of Christ. It's true that the blood of Christ makes us righteous. But we are to then walk in that righteousness, abiding in Christ.

Righteousness is in our actions as well as the covering of Christ's blood and I think the Scriptures testify to this.

14 What doth it profit, my brethren, though a man say he hath faith, and have not works? can faith save him?

But the reason Im saying all this is because I was told the confusing lines of "works based righteousness " as if all my attempts to be Holy were my flesh and I wasn't trusting in God's grace enough.

As a younger Christian, I felt like I was always on the verge of trying "too hard" and slipping into "works based salvation". And if that meant I wasn't trusting in Jesus's grace, that would indeed be horrible.

But the thing is, Holiness and obedience do require effort at times on my part. But that is because the flesh does not want to be Holy.

But when I stopped listening to traditions and certain theologies and read the Scriptures, it validated my struggle.

Sin desires to have us like a predator, a roaring lion seeking to devour but we must rule over it. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.

Resisting is an act of faith. Obedience comes from faith, not "works based righteousness. "
@Wynona Great verses there.

You mention obedience.

Interesting that in Romans Paul at the beginning and at the end of the Epistle - a treatise on justification - speaks of 'obedience to the faith' and 'the obedience of faith'.

forever

Jul 7, 2021
Kampen
Faith
Christian
Country
Netherlands

The human body is NOT sin. It is made in the image and likeness of God and is called the "temple" (dwelling place) of the Holy Spirit. And this body will be perfected, transformed, glorified, and made into an immortal "spiritual" body of flesh and bones at the Resurrection/Rapture. Gnosticism declares the body to be evil, but God does not.

On the other hand "the flesh" or sin nature is corrupt but has not been eradicated after the New Birth. At the same time it cannot (and must not) have dominion over the Christian, since it was metaphorically crucified on the cross of Calvary. So we are to crucify or mortify "the flesh" daily. But not be preoccupied with it.

Christians should not be preoccupied with their performance, but rather be preoccupied with righteous thoughts, good works and righteous deeds. The rest will take care of itself.

.. no - sorry .
The ever reoccurring problem here
is that 'prophets have never been understood' , read : have been read rightly :
because much in them has been corrupted by Esau .
This is an ongoing theme in many prophet chaptyers ,
and is - lietrally "the sealed scroll" theme

i hope MODS will let me explain that in a post , soon

anyway
there is *no* scriptural evidence - as far as modern christianity is concerned -
that "God made this type body we have"
[whether semantically it has been fallen or otherwise been degraded]
but only by speculation and interpretation .

A clue for you is 'daniel and the lads in the oven' in Babylon ;
then you can study the ezekiel chapter "the cooking pot",
and see that what happened in Babylon with Daniel ,
happens in Mystery-Babylon also :

our original beings , which God created ,
were tortured in [the evil region] Mystery Babylon ,
so that our soul got seperated out from them
and was born on earth into this silly fleshy 2.0 pimped ape body .

There is much , much to say about this --
and that is 1 reason why prophets are so extensive .

Do have an open mind please : the truth is more incredible as you thought

Reactions: quietthinker

forever

Jul 7, 2021
Kampen
Faith
Christian
Country
Netherlands
This body will be transformed to become like His glorious body.

Much love!

no .. sorry ..
this body is good-for-nothing
it will die off , needs to

only then the soul can be restored in her original one

you cant have a bugatti partly made of T-ford autoparts

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America

@Wynona "Examine yourselves, whether ye be in the faith; prove your own selves. Know ye not your own selves, how that Jesus Christ is in you, except ye be reprobates?" (2 Corinthians 13.5)

Reactions: Wynona

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Absolutely, and I think that is the healthy side of the coin. Constantly doubting trying to confirm, am I saved? am I still saved? is the unhealty, but coming before God to know what He has to say about me, that's the healthy way. To take His Words and see if my life conforms to them.

Something I look very much at is my internal response to God's Word, or what I believe to be God's instruction to me. I can tell when I am receiving His Word joyfully and when I flinch or cringe from His command. It's the flesh that cringes, the spirit child born from God joyfully receives from his Father.

I'm planning to come back and give more of a reply, you've given me a lot, and I want to give some thought.

Much love!

Reactions: Wynona