Your Thoughts: 1 Thessalonians 1:2-4

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hi @marks

I believe it to be the deposit of truth, which was revealed to Paul by God, which He is committing to God to guard, for it is being turned away from as he is. He has committed it also to Timothy to make known 'to faithful men', and Timothy is also urged to 'keep' it. For Paul as steward of this truth of God was anxious that it should not be buried beneath the division and strife of tongues, that was in evidence all around him in the assemblies in relation to it. The wolves had entered and were causing havoc among the redeemed in his care, as he had told them they would, and there was internal opposition too, from the perverse among them.

It has only within relatively recent times been finding the light of day again, so I can understand his anxiety.

Thank you
In Christ Jesus
Chris

Though we wouldn't think of it this way after 2,000 of history and knowing what effect Paul had on the church, there was actually great concern on Paul's part during his lifetime that his work might fail. He saw so much of what he was doing being spiritually undermined that it makes this language we're studying now make all the more sense. He was clearly pretty deeply concerned about committing the his gospel to people who would preserve it against the many forms of heresy Satan was injecting into the churches to destroy it.

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'm not so sure that it's the Gospel that Paul committed to God.

It really seems to me that the Gospel was committed to Paul, and he was distributing it.

It's actually both, which gives some interesting insight into how God works in us. There is in fact a passage where Paul talks about the gospel being entrusted to him. And I'm still convinced Charity's interpretation is the correct one. In performing His will and truly being "In Him" emotionally and mentally, we want what HE wants. So we become just as concerned to see that His will is done in the earth as He is.
I have this idea that we are to care for what others need, and let God care for us, and it seems to me that I can commit myself to Him, and know that He will keep me, as I then forget about myself and do what I'm here to do.

I can commit myself to His to care for, knowing that he will keep me safe to salvation to be revealed in that day.

All this is true, Marks, but the fear was not regarding himself. Paul never seemed to fear for himself in the least. If he stayed it was for their sakes, and if he went on then he would finally be with God. The concern was always over those he was ministering to, and would they make it. Hence this all the more supports the idea that he was talking about the gospel, rather than his own soul.

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
How do you interpret (in bold), "But we have this treasure in clay vessels, that the exceeding greatness of the power may be of God, and not from ourselves"? You need to take it in the context of the whole of the preceding chapter (chapters and verses were invented hundreds of years after the Scriptures were completed, don't forget), for it's all part of one speech/subject. At the very least start from verse 7 of the previous chapter:

(2Co 3:7) But if the service of death, written engraved on stones, came with glory, so that the children of Israel could not look steadfastly on the face of Moses for the glory of his face, which was passing away;
(2Co 3:8) won’t service of the Spirit be with much more glory?
(2Co 3:9) For if the service of condemnation has glory, the service of righteousness exceeds much more in glory.
(2Co 3:10) For most certainly that which has been made glorious has not been made glorious in this respect, by reason of the glory that surpasses.
(2Co 3:11) For if that which passes away was with glory, much more that which remains is in glory.
(2Co 3:12) Having therefore such a hope, we use great boldness of speech,
(2Co 3:13) and not as Moses, who put a veil on his face, that the children of Israel wouldn’t look steadfastly on the end of that which was passing away.
(2Co 3:14) But their minds were hardened, for until this very day at the reading of the old covenant the same veil remains, because in Christ it passes away.
(2Co 3:15) But to this day, when Moses is read, a veil lies on their heart.
(2Co 3:16) But whenever one turns to the Lord, the veil is taken away.
(2Co 3:17) Now the Lord is the Spirit and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.
(2Co 3:18) But we all, with unveiled face seeing the glory of the Lord as in a mirror, are transformed into the same image from glory to glory, even as from the Lord, the Spirit.
(2Co 4:1) Therefore seeing we have this ministry, even as we obtained mercy, we don’t faint.
(2Co 4:2) But we have renounced the hidden things of shame, not walking in craftiness, nor handling the word of God deceitfully; but by the manifestation of the truth commending ourselves to every man’s conscience in the sight of God.
(2Co 4:3) Even if our Good News is veiled, it is veiled in those who are dying;
(2Co 4:4) in whom the god of this world has blinded the minds of the unbelieving, that the light of the Good News of the glory of Christ, who is the image of God, should not dawn on them.
(2Co 4:5) For we don’t preach ourselves, but Christ Jesus as Lord, and ourselves as your servants for Jesus’ sake;
(2Co 4:6) seeing it is God who said, “Light will shine out of darkness,” who has shone in our hearts, to give the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Jesus Christ.
(2Co 4:7) But we have this treasure in clay vessels, that the exceeding greatness of the power may be of God, and not from ourselves.

So we are transformed into the same image of the glory of the Lord - as it shines in his face so it would shine in our (new creature's) face. But it is hidden in a clay vessel (human body) so that the greatness of the power of the Gospel may be seen to be of God and not from us.

Hi Keith. My apologies for the late reply. I'm just now seeing this.

In 3:7 he makes reference to the law engraved on stones, i.e. the old covenant, and then compares it to the gospel in 4:3. So I think he is actually comparing the glory that came along with the presentation of the two messages, as a reflection of the messages themselves. I think he's making reference to both the gospel itself and the glory of God within it that shines through the face of those who preach it. He shines in our hearts to give forth the light of the knowledge of God.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Paul was committing (or depositing) it to God for safekeeping I believe, in the light of the fact that it was not being received;
Hi Chris,

I think I understand what you are saying. For me, it's more about the "movement of revelation", that is, that God was giving revelation to Paul, and committing it to him, rather than the other way.

That God committed it to Paul, and Paul to others, such as Timothy.

Much love!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
All this is true, Marks, but the fear was not regarding himself.
I see the same, that Paul was not concerned over himself.

He'd already seen the sufferings his life would hold. He had already reconciled himself to enduring all that was needed to make sure all who were to be saved through his ministry would be.

Hence this all the more supports the idea that he was talking about the gospel, rather than his own soul.

Or, he wasn't concerned over himself because he had already committed himself to God.

Interesting discussion!

It just doesn't make sense to me that Paul would commit to God what God had given him in the first place, but I do see what you and @charity are saying.

Much love!

Reactions: Hidden In Him

keithr

Dec 4, 2020
Dorset
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Perhaps I should agree that our salvation is assured, as long as we maintain our faith. :)
I've just come across this verse, which reminded me of my above comment. I think it supports what I wrote:

Hebrews 3:14, "For we have become partakers of Christ, if we hold fast the beginning of our confidence firm to the end".