“destroy”

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Jay Ross

Jun 20, 2011
QLD
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Looking at the OP versus an other than archaic English might help.
Genesis 6:11-13 New International Version (NIV)
11 Now the earth was corrupt in God’s sight and was full of violence. 12 God saw how corrupt the earth had become, for all the people on earth had corrupted their ways. 13 So God said to Noah, “I am going to put an end to all people, for the earth is filled with violence because of them. I am surely going to destroy both them and the earth.

Earth here is the land, not the planet.

At first, I thought that your comment was a great way of understanding the Mind of God, until I checked out the Hebrew texts for the verses referenced in your post.

The Hebrew word used in Gen. 6:13 is the same Hebrew word that was used in Genesis 1:1.

So in Genesis 6:13, it is the earth that is being spoken about. God, by also killing off all the animals that walked upon the face of the land, also destroyed the earth as it was known before the flood. That was why the purpose of the Ark was to also repopulate the earth with both humans and animals after the flood. God. after the flood, set about recreating His work of the sixth day by putting the animals in the ark, that God, Himself, had chosen and brought to the ark before He had shut it up for a year, back unto the face of the earth.

Shalom

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
The fossil record reaches back to when there was no oceans etc. on the earth. The earth landmass was shattered during the war in heaven and totally submerged underwater.

Then in the six days of creation God lifted up a landmass, which was completely flooded at the time Noah.
interesting speculations, i can testify as to the inaccuracy of the first fwiw, the fossil record does not go back near that far

CoreIssue

Oct 15, 2018
USA
christiantalkzone.net
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Genesis 10:25 New International Version (NIV)
25 Two sons were born to Eber:

One was named Peleg because in his time the earth was divided; his brother was named Joktan.

The earth was divided it had four corners and where Jerusalem is was the center of the landmass.

Yet more KJV confusion.

Jay Ross

Jun 20, 2011
QLD
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
At that time there was only one landmass on the earth. It was not divided until the days of Peleg, When mankind was also divided across the land.

The fossil record reaches back to when there was no oceans etc. on the earth. The earth landmass was shattered during the war in heaven and totally submerged underwater.

Then in the six days of creation God lifted up a landmass, which was completely flooded at the time Noah.

I believe the new earth and heaven will be restored to what it was in Genesis 1:1. No sun, moon, stars, darkness, oceans, etc.

Again, you have shot yourself in the foot.

Genesis 1:20-23: - 20 Then God said, "Let the waters abound with an abundance of living creatures, and let birds fly above the earth across the face of the firmament of the heavens." 21 So God created great sea creatures and every living thing that moves, with which the waters abounded, according to their kind, and every winged bird according to its kind. And God saw that it was good. 22 And God blessed them, saying, "Be fruitful and multiply, and fill the waters in the seas, and let birds multiply on the earth." 23 So the evening and the morning were the fifth day.

It seems that you are denying what is recorded in Gen. 1

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
iow no offense meant here ok but you got that one wrong, and you got that other one wrong too, imo. God made a promise to Noah that will be kept, etc
All people are included automatically in both the destructions. And the earth will continue as a New Earth AFTER totally being destroyed (as regards the surface and subsurface).

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So God said to Noah, “I am going to put an end to all people"

iow no offense meant here ok but you got that one wrong, and you got that other one wrong too, imo. God made a promise to Noah that will be kept, etc

Genesis 6:13
[13] And God said unto Noah, The end of all flesh is come before me; for the earth is filled with violence through them; and, behold, I will destroy them with the earth.

“...The end of all flesh is come before me...” and God does put an end to all flesh in Christ: Romans 6:3-5 Know ye not, that so many of us as were baptized into Jesus Christ were baptized into his death? [4] Therefore we are buried with him by baptism into death: that like as Christ was raised up from the dead by the glory of the Father, even so we also should walk in newness of life. [5] For if we have been planted together in the likeness of his death, we shall be also in the likeness of his resurrection:

1 Corinthians 15:53-54
[53] For this corruptible must put on incorruption, and this mortal must put on immortality. [54] So when this corruptible shall have put on incorruption, and this mortal shall have put on immortality, then shall be brought to pass the saying that is written, Death is swallowed up in victory. —the end of all flesh. How does He do it? With water (First)and Fire(Last)?

2 Corinthians 5:16-17
[16] Wherefore henceforth know we no man after the flesh: yea, though we have known Christ after the flesh, yet now henceforth know we him no more. [17] Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new.

Reactions: bbyrd009

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hi VIJ,

The flood destroyed all the earth except 2 of every kind of animal (Genesis 6:19) and 8 humans that were saved thru water (1 Peter3:20-21)!

Mary

1 Corinthians 3:15
[15] If any man's work shall be burned, he shall suffer loss: but he himself shall be saved; yet so as by fire.

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Genesis 6:11-13 says: “The earth also was corrupt before God, and the earth was filled with violence. [12] And God looked upon the earth, and, behold, it was corrupt; for all flesh had corrupted his way upon the earth. [13] And God said unto Noah, The end of all flesh is come before me; for the earth is filled with violence through them; and, behold, I will destroy them with the earth.”

“...and, behold, I will destory them with the earth.”

...with the earth. What does ‘destory’ here mean because the earth is still here, yes?

Genesis 8:22
[22] While the earth remaineth, seedtime and harvest, and cold and heat, and summer and winter, and day and night shall not cease.
Genesis 6:11-13 is pretty clear, so I should think the only question here is how Genesis 8:22 might seem to be different, or even mean the opposite. But it does not, it is the same, and a confirmation - very typical of Hebrew literature. The message is repeated.

Gen 8:22

While the earth H776 remaineth, H3117 seedtime H2233 and harvest, H7105 and cold H7120 and heat, H2527 and summer H7019 and winter, H2779 and day H3117 and night H3915 shall not cease. H7673

"While" is a stipulation, meaning that if it does not "remain" according to the way it was created and intended...then, instead of "shall not cease", the meaning would be that it "shall [indeed] cease." Which Peter confirms, saying "But the day of the Lord will come as a thief in the night, in which the heavens will pass away with a great noise, and the elements will melt with fervent heat; both the earth and the works that are in it will be burned up."

Harvest 1874

Apr 1, 2018
Tampa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I don't think it means any more or any less than God destroyed the people and He destroyed the then earth...and cleansed it with water.
The old passed away...a new dispensation started ..from Adam to Noah was gone.

Sometimes I think we read too much into one word. :)

Blessings...Helen

Grace is on the right track, it was not the physical earth that was destroyed it was the then present social order, society (earth), which was destroyed in the flood as well as the heavens (the controlling element at that time as administered by angels), the fallen angels being placed in chains of darkness and confined to tartaroo (“tartarus”, a dark abyss or prison), viz. the earths atmosphere there to await the judgement of the great day.

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
what do you think this one means?

nice catch there @ the end of flesh (not ppl iow, in one perception at least)

2 Corinthians 5:16
[16] Wherefore henceforth know we no man after the flesh: yea, though we have known Christ after the flesh, yet now henceforth know we him no more.

Stop looking back. Why do you seek the Living among the dead. Why do you stand there looking up...also the Word became flesh, (henceforth know we him no more) is now resurrected Spirit.

John 5:37-40
[37] And the Father himself, which hath sent me, hath borne witness of me. Ye have neither heard his voice at any time, nor seen his shape. [38] And ye have not his word abiding in you: for whom he hath sent, him ye believe not. [39] Search the scriptures; for in them ye think ye have eternal life: and they are they which testify of me. [40] And ye will not come to me, that ye might have life.

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
.also the Word became flesh, (henceforth know we him no more) is now resurrected Spirit.
then wouldn't we still be able to "know Him" spiritually, in that case? the other translations assume this i guess, but you might note that there have been some assumptions made, there at the bottom,
2 Corinthians 5:16 Lexicon: Therefore from now on we recognize no one according to the flesh; even though we have known Christ according to the flesh, yet now we know Him in this way no longer.

which i don't mean to say are necessarily incorrect, but note that
"...Him, in this way" is assumed, and the orig text says
"...yet now we no longer know."
which might even support your pov there maybe

Last edited:

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
then wouldn't we still be able to "know Him" spiritually, in that case?

(Imo) not after the flesh: @ the end of all flesh.

Romans 6:9
[9] Knowing that Christ being raised from the dead dieth no more; death hath no more dominion over him.

Romans 10:9-11
[9] That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved. [10] For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation. [11] For the scripture saith, Whosoever believeth on him shall not be ashamed.

Reactions: bbyrd009