12 reasons why hell is not eternal conscious torment

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

ATP

Jan 3, 2015
U.S.A.
brakelite said:
My points again which you are yet to answer....
a. According to popular teaching, Jesus did not make a propitation for our sins, if indeed eternal torment is the wages of sin.
b. Jesus conquered the grave (sheol, commonly translated as hell but meaning grave), and He conquered death...He did not go to a place of eternal torment.
c. Death is the punishment. Ceasing to exist is the result. Let me ask you. How can anyone live in any form when seperated from the only entity that provides life?
d. Man is mortal. Eternal life is a gift given only to the saved. To claim otherwise is to completely deny Biblical truth.

Here is a quote from the great Amos Phelps:
This doctrine (the immortality of the soul) can be traced through the muddy channels of a corrupted Christianity, a perverted Judaism, a pagan philosophy, a superstitious idolatry to the great instigator of mischief in the garden of Eden. The Protestants borrowed it from the Catholics, the Catholics from the Pharisees, the Pharisees from the pagans, and the pagans from the old serpent who first preached the doctrine amid the lowly bowels in paradise to an audience all too willing to hear and heed the new and fascinating theology..."Ye shall not surely die". (Genesis 3:4)

The following verses are just a small fraction of the total number which vividly and accurately describe the ultimate fate of the wicked.

They shall be destroyed...Psalm 145:20;101:8;37:38;92:7;Prov.13:13;10:29;Phill.3:19;1 Tim.6:9; 2 Thess.1:9; Matt 7:13

They shall persish....Ps.37:20;Prov. 19:9; Luke 13:3; Jn 3:16.

They shall cease to exist. Psalm 37:10
a. I disagree. He brought to peace our assurance of salvation. A born again christian no longer fears death.
b. He didn't go to a place of eternal torment because torment in itself is separation from God. 1+1=2.
c. How can anyone live in any form when seperated from the only entity that provides life? That's like asking how God raises the dead to be judged at the Bema Seat of Christ and the Great White Throne judgment. He is God. He has the power to raise us from the grave, just like he raised Jesus from the grave. Ceasing to exist is not punishment, that's not the definition of punishment.
d. I agree.

Psalm 37:10 http://biblehub.com/psalms/37-10.htm- For yet a little while, and the wicked shall not be,.... Not that they shall be annihilated or reduced to nothing, because nonentities have no place nor being any where; when they die they shall lift up their eyes in hell; their bodies will rise again at the last day; they shall stand before the judgment seat of Christ, and go into everlasting punishment; but they shall be no more in the world, and in the same flourishing and prosperous circumstances they were: and this their destruction will be in a short time, very quickly.

Phoneman777

Jan 14, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
ATP said:
He bore all of our sins from beginning to end. Jesus (conquered) hell eternal by conquering our sins. The victory is His, so why would he have to spend eternity in hell.

Luke 22:44 And being in anguish, he prayed more earnestly, and his sweat was like drops of blood falling to the ground.
1 Peter 2:24 "He himself bore our sins" in his body on the cross, so that we might die to sins and live for righteousness; "by his wounds you have been healed."

If the penalty for sin is death and death = eternal torment, then the only possible way that penalty can ever be paid is if somebody - either Jesus or the sinner - spends eternity in that place of torment bearing in himself the penalty of sin.

Any idea, no matter how scholarly it may be, which does not incorporate this above concept, is just an idea based on a misinterpretation of a set of exclusive texts rather than a correct understanding of the Scriptures in their entirety, a practice which Peter warned us to not engage.

It is Biblically unsound to claim that the act of Jesus bearing our sins on the Cross for a few hours is an acceptable payment in the eyes of God, while He demands that the unrepentant sinner bear his penalty for sin not one second less than eternity in torment. This is neither just nor equitable, both of which define the character of God. The Scriptures teach that the spotless character of Jesus is what makes His sacrifice acceptable to God, but no where in Scripture is found support for the claim that His spotless character lessened the required eternal duration of an "eternal torment" penalty. This idea seems to be established by virtue of the profoundness of the claim itself - most certainly not by the Scriptures. Therefore, the wages of sin is NOT eternal torment, but death...eternal death...a death from which there will be no resurrection aka annihilation.

ATP

Jan 3, 2015
U.S.A.
Phoneman777 said:
Therefore, the wages of sin is NOT eternal torment, but death...eternal death...a death from which there will be no resurrection aka annihilation.
But there will be a resurrection, of nonbelievers Rev 20:4-6.
And they will be judged by what they did in their body Rev 20:12-13.
And then they will be sent to eternal punishment Matt 25:46 & Dan 12:2
Being judged and punished is not the definition of annihilation. - ATP

Phoneman777

Jan 14, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
ATP said:
But there will be a resurrection, of nonbelievers Rev 20:4-6.
And they will be judged by what they did in their body Rev 20:12-13.
And then they will be sent to eternal punishment Matt 25:46 & Dan 12:2
Being judged and punished is not the definition of annihilation. - ATP
I've found that proponents of Eternal Torment have totally missed all that the concept of "Second Death" demands:
  • "Second Death" demands that a "Second Life" precedes it.
  • "Second Life" demands that a "First Death" precedes it (except those alive at the coming of Jesus).
  • "First Death" demands that a "First Life" precedes it.
All people (except at the coming of Jesus) die the "First Death" (Hebrews 9:27 KJV).
The wicked are raised to a "Second Life" in the "Resurrection of Damnation" and receive a death sentence in the Judgment (John 5:28-29 KJV; Hebrews 9:27 KJV).
The wicked are burned in their "Second Life" according to their sins and then pass out of existence in the "Second Death" (Ezekiel 28:19 KJV; Obadiah 1:16).

If the wicked for all eternity remain in their Second Life tormented in the Lake of Fire, how can they ever suffer the Second Death?

ATP

Jan 3, 2015
U.S.A.
Phoneman777 said:
If the wicked for all eternity remain in their Second Life tormented in the Lake of Fire, how can they ever suffer the Second Death?
That's like asking how God can raise the dead to be judged.
Scripture tells us there are consequences for sin and unbelief.
I want you to notice something said in verse 12 & 13 here.

V12 - to what they had (done)
V13 - to what they had (done)

Rev 20:12-13 And I saw the dead, great and small, standing before the throne, and books were opened. Another book was opened, which is the book of life. The dead were judged according to what they had done as recorded in the books. 13The sea gave up the dead that were in it, and death and Hades gave up the dead that were in them, and each person was judged according to what they had done.

Phoneman777

Jan 14, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
ATP said:
That's like asking how God can raise the dead to be judged.
Scripture tells us there are consequences for sin and unbelief.
I want you to notice something said in verse 12 & 13 here.

V12 - to what they had (done)
V13 - to what they had (done)

Rev 20:12-13 And I saw the dead, great and small, standing before the throne, and books were opened. Another book was opened, which is the book of life. The dead were judged according to what they had done as recorded in the books. 13The sea gave up the dead that were in it, and death and Hades gave up the dead that were in them, and each person was judged according to what they had done.
The punishment you speak of is what the wicked experience while living their Second Life to which Jesus resurrected them. Once they die the Second Death, it won't be possible for them to experience anything because they won't exist.

ATP

Jan 3, 2015
U.S.A.
Phoneman777 said:
The punishment you speak of is what the wicked experience while living their Second Life to which Jesus resurrected them.
But what you're describing is temporary, (living their second life when Jesus resurrects them). Scripture says the punishment, shame and contempt is eternal and everlasting.

Matt 25:46 - "Then they will go away to eternal punishment, but the righteous to eternal life."
Dan 12:2 - Multitudes who sleep in the dust of the earth will awake: some to everlasting life, others to shame and everlasting contempt.

Bobby Hall

Jan 8, 2015
Can we turn to the KJ Bible and see what it says concerning the state of the dead?

The following scriptures address the false apostate doctrine that says upon a sinner’s death he/she goes immediately to a place of fiery punishing called Hell and remains until called forth in the resurrection to judgment. It also addresses the false doctrine that upon the death of someone who is saved, that person goes immediately to Heaven. Understand that these scriptures do not address the future fate of those whose names are not found written in the Book of Life following the Great White Throne judgment, the Lake of Fire, and the second death. Those are topics to which I have other scriptures.

EZEKIEL 18:4 "Behold, all souls are Mine; the soul of the father as well as the soul of the son is Mine; the soul [nephesh] who sins shall die. (NKJV)

All have sinned and come short. All die, the good and the bad.

EZEKIEL 18:20 "The soul [nephesh] who sins shall die. The son shall not bear the
guilt of the father, nor the father bear the guilt of the son. The righteousness of the
righteous shall be upon himself, and the wickedness of the wicked shall be upon
himself. (NKJ)

Same idea as the 18:4

JOB 3:11 "Why did I not die at birth? Why did I not perish when I came from the
womb? 12 Why did the knees receive me? Or why the breasts, that I should nurse?
13 For now I would have lain still and been quiet, I would have been asleep; then I would have been at rest 14 with kings and counselors of the earth, who built ruins for themselves, 15 or with princes who had gold, who filled their houses with silver; 16 Or why was I not hidden like a stillborn child, like infants who never saw light? 17 There the wicked cease from troubling, and there the weary are at rest. 18 There the prisoners rest together; they do not hear the voice of the oppressor. 19 The small and great are there, and the servant is free from his master. (NKJV)

Here Job says he would have been asleep, dead. He goes on to say the small as well as the great are all asleep or dead and rest together. None are in Heaven and none are being punished.

JOB 7:21 And why dost Thou not pardon my transgression, and take away my iniquity? For now shall I sleep in the dust; and Thou shalt seek me in the morning, but I shall not be. (RWB)

Again, Job says he will sleep in the dust, in the grave, for he will be dead. He will not be in Heaaven.

JOB 14:10 But man dies and is laid away; indeed he breathes his last and where is he? 11 As water disappears from the sea, and a river becomes parched and dries up, 12 so man lies down and does not rise. Till the heavens are no more, they will not awake nor be roused from their sleep. 13 Oh, that You would hide me in the grave, that You would conceal me until Your wrath is past, that You would appoint me a set time, and remember me! 14 If a man dies, shall he live again? All the days of my hard service I will wait, till my change comes. (NKJV)

Again Job says a man lies down and dies. He also says he will be laid down and dead until the resurrection of the saints when he will be changed.

JOB 19:25 For I know that my Redeemer lives, and He shall stand at last on the earth; 26 And after my skin is destroyed, this I know, that in my flesh I shall see God, 27 whom I shall see for myself, and my eyes shall behold, and not another. How my heart yearns within me! (NKJV)

ECCLESIASTES 9:2 All share a common destiny — the righteous and the wicked, the good and the bad, the clean and the unclean, those who offer sacrifices and those who do not. As it is with the good man, so with the sinner; as it is with those who take oaths, so with those who are afraid to take them. 3 This is the evil in everything that happens under the sun: The same destiny overtakes all. The hearts of men, moreover, are full of evil and there is madness in their hearts while they live, and afterward they join the dead. 4 Anyone who is among the living has hope — even a live dog is better off than a dead lion! 5 For the living know that they will die, but the dead know nothing; they have no further reward, and even the memory of them is forgotten. (NIV)

Here Job declares again that the good and the bad both share the common destiny of death. He goes further to state that in death, the dead know nothing at all. What purpose would it be to eternally torture anyone who knows nothing at all, not the reason for their punishing nor even the fact that they are undergoing punishing?

ECCLESIASTES 9:10 Whatever your hand finds to do, do it with all your might, for in the grave, where you are going, there is neither working nor planning nor
knowledge nor wisdom. (NIV)

There is no wisdom or knowledge in the grave. The dead are unaware of anything at all.

“The hour is coming, in the which all that are in the graves shall hear his voice.” – John 5:28

The above tells us exactly where the dead are. They are all in their graves.,,

PSALM 6:5 No one remembers You when he is dead. Who praises You from the
grave? (NIV)

Here even David declares that the dead know nothing at all.

PSALM 13:3 Consider and hear me, O LORD my God; enlighten my eyes, lest I sleep the sleep of death; (NKJV)

David says he will sleep the sleep of death.

“Do not let me be ashamed, O LORD, for I have called upon You; Let the wicked be ashamed; Let them be silent in the grave.” – Psalm 31:17

Above, David says let the wicked be silent in their graves, not screaming in a fiery punishing.

PSALM 17:15 As for me, I will see Your face in righteousness; I shall be satisfied when I awake in Your likeness. (NKJV)

Davis says he will awaken from his sleep of death.

PSALM 30:2 O LORD my God, I cried out to You, and You healed me. 3 O LORD, You brought my soul up from the grave; You have kept me alive, that I should not go down to the pit. 4 Sing praise to the LORD, You saints of His, and give thanks at the remembrance of His holy name. . . . 9 "What profit is there in my blood, when I go down to the pit? Will the dust praise You? Will it declare Your truth? 10 Hear, O LORD, and have mercy on me; LORD, be my helper!" (NKJV)

David declares that he will go down to the pit, the grave which is hell and will not be able to praise God while in his sleep of death. David knows he will not be with God in Heaven when he dies.

PSALM 88:1 O LORD, God of my salvation, I have cried out day and night before You. 2 Let my prayer come before You; incline Your ear to my cry. 3 For my soul is full of troubles, and my life draws near to the grave. 4 I am counted with those who go down to the pit; I am like a man who has no strength, 5 adrift among the dead, like the slain who lie in the grave, whom You remember no more, and who are cut off from Your hand. 6 You have laid me in the lowest pit, in darkness, in the depths. 7 Your wrath lies heavy upon me, and You have afflicted me with all Your waves. Selah 8 You have put away my acquaintances far from me; You have made me an abomination to them; I am shut up, and I cannot get out; 9 My eye wastes away because of affliction. LORD, I have called daily upon You; I have stretched out my hands to You. 10 Will You work wonders for the dead? Shall the dead arise and praise You? Selah 11 Shall Your lovingkindness be declared in the grave? Or Your faithfulness in the place of destruction? 12 Shall Your wonders be known in the dark? And Your righteousness in the land of forgetfulness? (NKJV)

In the above, David calls death and the grave the land of forgetfulness because he knows his thoughts will perish within the grave.

PSALM 115:17 The dead do not praise the LORD, nor do any who go down into
silence; (NASU)

Again, even the righteous dead cannot praise the Lord while asleep in death.

PSALM 146:3 Do not trust in princes, in mortal man, in whom there is no salvation. 4 His spirit departs, he returns to the earth; in that very day his thoughts perish. (NASU)

Even David declare that the thoughts of man perishes when the man dies. The dead are aware of absolutely nothing at all. There are not two separate thoughts of man, only one.

“What man can live and not see death? Can he deliver his soul from the power of the grave? Selah” – Psalm 89:48

Only God, in the resurrection can deliver a man from death and the grave.

DEUTERONOMY 31:16 And the LORD said to Moses, "Behold, you are about to sleep with your fathers; then this people will rise and play the harlot after the strange gods of the land, where they go to be among them, and they will forsake me and break my covenant which I have made with them. (RSV)

Moses is dead and in his grave. He is not in Heaven.

II SAMUEL 7:12 And when your [David's] days are over and you fall asleep with your ancestors, I shall appoint your heir, your own son to succeed you (and I shall make his sovereignty secure). (NJB)

Here God informs David that he will die and sleep with his fathers. David is not in Heaven, he is in his grave even today.

Many of them that sleep in the dust of the earth shall awake…” – Daniel 12:2

They are in their graves when the resurrection occurs. They are neither in Hell nor in Heaven.

I KINGS 2:10 Then David slept with his fathers and was buried in the City of
David. (NASU)

David is dead and buried and sleeps with his fathers. He is not in Heaven.

ACTS 2:29 "Men and brethren, let me speak freely to you of the patriarch David, that he is both dead and buried, and his tomb is with us to this day. . . . 34 For David did not ascend into the heavens" . . . (NKJV)

This is after the false doctrine that preaches that Christ freed all the captives and took them all off to Heaven. That is yet another lie.

ACTS 13:36 "For David, after he had served his own generation by the will of God, fell asleep, was buried with his fathers, and saw corruption;" (NKJV)

David died and is in his grave. His body has returned to dust. He is not in Heaven.

JOHN 11:11 These things he said, and after that he said to them, "Our friend Lazarus sleeps, but I go that I may wake him up." 12 Then his disciples said, "Lord, if he sleeps he will get well." 13 However, Jesus spoke of his death, but they thought that he was speaking about taking rest in sleep. 14 Then Jesus said to them plainly, "Lazarus is dead." (NKJV)

Yes, Lazarus was dead and the Lord resurrected him to life.

ACTS 7:59 And they stoned Stephen as he was calling on God and saying, "Lord Jesus, receive my spirit." 60 Then he knelt down and cried out with a loud voice, "Lord, do not charge them with this sin." And when he had said this, he fell asleep. (NKJV)

Asleep means dead. Stephen is dead and buried.

I CORINTHIANS 15:6 After that he was seen by over five hundred brethren at once, of whom the greater part remain to the present, but some have fallen asleep. (NKJV)

They all died and are in their graves.

DANIEL 12:13 "But you, go your way till the end; for you shall rest, and will arise to your inheritance at the end of the days." (NKJV)

Daniel, another great saint, is dead and in his grave. Daniel is not in Heaven.

DANIEL 12:2 And many of those who sleep in the dust of the earth shall awake, some to everlasting life, some to shame and everlasting contempt. (NKJV)

They are all dead and in their graves when the resurrections occur. They are neither in Heaven or in Hell awaiting the resurrection from there.

ISAIAH 26:19 Your dead shall live; together with my dead body they shall arise. Awake and sing, you who dwell in dust; for your dew is like the dew of herbs, and the earth shall cast out the dead. (NKJV)

Isaiah even declares that the dead are in the earth, not in Heaven or in Hell but are in their graves awaiting the resurrections.

JOHN 5:28 Do not marvel at this; for the hour is coming when all who are in the tombs will hear his voice 29 and come forth, those who have done good, to the resurrection of life, and those who have done evil, to the resurrection of judgment. (RSV)

John plainly declares that all the dead are in their tombs, neither in Hell or in Heaven, and are awaiting the resurrections.

Joh_3:13 And no man hath ascended up to heaven, but he that came down from heaven, even the Son of man which is in heaven.
Now the above is straight from Christ’s own mouth. Don’t you think he should know if anyone has ascended unto Heaven other than himself? Why should He lie about it? This includes all those in the Parable of Lazarus and the Rich Man, all those “souls under the alter” in Revelation, the Thief on the Cross, Moses and Abraham, Elijah and anyone else.

EPHESIANS 5:13 But all things that are exposed are made manifest by the light, for
whatever makes manifest is light. 14 Therefore He says: "Awake, you who sleep,
arise from the dead, and Christ will give you light." (NKJV)

Christ awakens those who sleep, who are dead.

I CORINTHIANS 15:20 But now Christ is risen [egegertai] from the dead, and has
become the firstfruits of those who have fallen asleep. 21 For since by man came
death, by man also came the resurrection of the dead. 22 For as in Adam all die, even so in Christ all shall be made alive. 23 But each one in his own order: Christ the firstfruits, afterward those who are Christ's at his coming. 24 Then comes the end, when he delivers the kingdom to God the Father, when He puts an end to all rule and all authority and power. 25 For he must reign till He has put all enemies under his feet. 26 The last enemy that will be destroyed is death. (NKJV)

Plainly says the dead are asleep and that Christ will bring them forth from their graves in the resurrections.

I CORINTHIANS 15:50 Now this I say, brethren, that flesh and blood cannot inherit the kingdom of God; nor does corruption inherit incorruption. 51 Behold, I tell you a
mystery: We shall not all sleep, but we shall all be changed — 52 in a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trumpet. For the trumpet will sound, and the dead will be raised incorruptible, and we shall be changed. 53 For this corruptible must put on incorruption, and this mortal must put on immortality. 54 So when this corruptible has put on incorruption, and this mortal has put on immortality, then shall be brought to pass the saying that is written: "Death is swallowed up in victory." (NKJV)

I THESSALONIANS 4:13 But we do not want you to be uninformed, brethren, about
those who are asleep, so that you will not grieve as do the rest who have no hope. (NASU)

I THESSALONIANS 4:15 According to the Lord's own word, we tell you that we who are still alive, who are left till the coming of the Lord, will certainly not precede those who have fallen asleep. 16 For the Lord himself will come down from heaven, with a loud command, with the voice of the archangel and with the trumpet call of God, and the dead in Christ will rise first. 17 After that, we who are still alive and are left will be caught up together with them in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air. And so we will be with the Lord forever. 18 Therefore encourage each other with these words. (NIV)

Paul is very clear here. Those who have fallen asleep and are in their graves will come forth in the resurrection at Christ’s coming. They will rise. From where will they rise? From their graves. Not from Heaven or from Hell.

2Th 2:1 Now we beseech you, brethren, by the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ, and by our gathering together unto him,
2Th 2:2 That ye be not soon shaken in mind, or be troubled, neither by spirit, nor by word, nor by letter as from us, as that the day of Christ is at hand.
2Th 2:3 Let no man deceive you by any means: for that day shall not come, except there come a falling away first, and that man of sin be revealed, the son of perdition;

In the above scripture, Paul tells us when the saved will gather together with the Christ. It is at His return and not at anytime before.

Mar_13:27 And then shall he send his angels, and shall gather together his elect from the four winds, from the uttermost part of the earth to the uttermost part of heaven.

The above is plainly referring to the end times and to the return of Christ.

EZEKIEL 37:1 The hand of the LORD came upon me, and He led me out in the spirit of the LORD and set me in the center of the plain, which was now filled with bones. 2 He made me walk among them in every direction so that I saw how many they were on the surface of the plain. How dry they were! 3 He asked me: Son of man, can these bones come to life? "Lord GOD," I answered, "you alone know that." 4 Then He said o me: Prophesy over these bones, and say to them: Dry bones, hear the word of the LORD! 5 Thus says the Lord GOD to these bones: See! I will bring spirit into you, that you may come to life. 6 I will put sinews upon you, make flesh grow over you, cover you with skin, and put spirit in you so that you may come to life and know that I am the LORD. 7 I prophesied as I had been told, and even as I was prophesying I heard a noise; it was a rattling as the bones came together, bone joining bone. 8 I saw the sinews and the flesh come upon them, and the skin cover them, but there was no spirit in them. 9 Then He said to me: Prophesy to the spirit, prophesy, son of man, and say to the spirit: Thus says the Lord GOD: From the four winds come, O spirit, and breathe into these slain that they may come to life. 10 I prophesied as He told me, and the spirit came into them; they came alive and stood upright, a vast army. 11 Then He said to me: Son of man, these bones are the whole house of Israel. They have been saying, "Our bones are dried up, our hope is lost, and we are cut off." 12 Therefore, prophesy and say to them: Thus says the Lord GOD: O my people, I will open your graves and have you rise from them, and bring you back to the land of Israel. 13 Then you shall know that I am the LORD, when I open your graves and have you rise from them, O my people! 14 I will put my Spirit in you that you may live, and I will settle you upon your land; thus you shall know that I am the LORD. I have promised, and I will do it, says the LORD. (NAB)

Above is speaking of the resurrection of Israel.

Following is the scripture that causes the most misunderstanding and is probably the most misquoted scripture in our Bibles:

II CORINTHIANS 5:1 For we know that if our earthly house, this tent, is destroyed, we have a building from God, a house not made with hands, eternal in the heavens. 2 For in this we groan, earnestly desiring to be clothed with our habitation which is from heaven, 3 if indeed, having been clothed, we shall not be found naked. 4 For we who are in this tent groan, being burdened, not because we want to be
unclothed, but further clothed, that mortality may be swallowed up by life. 5 Now He who has prepared us for this very thing is God, who also has given us the
Spirit as a guarantee. 6 So we are always confident, knowing that while we are at
home in the body we are absent from the Lord. 7 For we walk by faith, not by
sight. 8 We are confident, yes, well pleased rather to be absent from the body
and to be present with the Lord. 9 Therefore we make it our aim, whether present or absent, to be well pleasing to Him. (NKJV)

If we simply go back to Paul's first letter to the Corinthians, we find that "our earthly house" (v. 1), our physical body, will be "swallowed up by life" (v. 4) at the resurrection (I Cor. 15:50-54). This is the context in which Paul writes here. When Paul says that "while we are at home in the (physical) body we are absent from the Lord," he is simply saying that we can't be with the Lord until we receive our immortal bodies at the resurrection (I Cor. 15:50).

When understood correctly, Paul here confirms that it's only at the resurrection that the saints will be alive with Yeshua. When Paul speaks of being "absent from the body to be present with the Lord," he is speaking of the resurrection of the dead, when his mortal body will be replaced by the "building from God" (v. 1).

I have posted more than enough simple scripture here that any reasonable and honest person should be able to reasonably determine that the dead are indeed dead and in their graves and that there is absolutely no one presently being tortured in a fiery place called Hell nor has anyone ascended unto Heaven other than the Christ. This will I pray, stave off those who preach an apostate doctrine to the contrary and make an open assault upon the name and character of our God and Christ. Please refrain from posting any other scriptures whereby you request I explain them to you since I submit if you are unwilling to accept all these scriptures I have posted, then there is simply nothing that you will accept and anything further would be in vain just as all these will have been in vain.

ATP

Jan 3, 2015
U.S.A.
Bobby Hall said:
The following scriptures address the false apostate doctrine that says upon a sinner’s death he/she goes immediately to a place of fiery punishing called Hell and remains until called forth in the resurrection to judgment.
Don't you have the wrong thread then.. http://www.christianityboard.com/topic/21066-soul-sleep/

Bobby Hall said:
It also addresses the false doctrine that upon the death of someone who is saved, that person goes immediately to Heaven.
I disagree. 2 Cor 5:8, 2 Cor 5:1-3, Phil 1:23, Rev 6:9-11, Rev 7:9-17.

Bobby Hall said:
Understand that these scriptures do not address the future fate of those whose names are not found written in the Book of Life following the Great White Throne judgment, the Lake of Fire, and the second death. Those are topics to which I have other scriptures.
Don't you have the wrong thread then.. http://www.christianityboard.com/topic/21066-soul-sleep/

KingJ

Mar 18, 2011
South Africa
Phoneman777 said:
...eternal death...a death from which there will be no resurrection aka annihilation.
I definitely agree with your thoughts and justification for annihilation over eternal torture. There is just one thing that really bugs me on it. How is it not God over riding our free will to hate Him? It paints God in a better light but not a perfect ''good'' light.

10/10 evil = eternal torture
5/10 evil = annihilation
3/10 evil = eternal torment
0/10 evil = make a home for those who hate God (eternal punishment), let them pay for their crimes for a short while (just per Rom 2:6) and then look after them there as much as is possible (love enemies).

Bobby Hall

Jan 8, 2015

KingJ

Mar 18, 2011
South Africa
Bobby Hall said:
That's fine if you disagree. I certainly posted more than one or two Bible scriptures that directly address the whole issue as to the state of the dead.
So you believe when saints die they don't go to heaven / meet God and Jesus? God who died to reconcile us is not eager to meet us... :eek:

What about the thief next to Jesus? Luke 23:43 Jesus answered him, "Truly I tell you, today you will be with me in paradise."

ATP

Jan 3, 2015
U.S.A.
Bobby Hall said:
That's fine if you disagree. I certainly posted more than one or two Bible scriptures that directly address the whole issue as to the state of the dead.
Can you break down these verses. I'm curious of your thoughts on these..2 Cor 5:8, 2 Cor 5:1-3, Phil 1:23, Rev 6:9-11, Rev 7:9-17. Try to use the soul sleep thread though.

KingJ said:
So you believe when saints die they don't go to heaven / meet God and Jesus? God who died to reconcile us is not eager to meet us... :eek:

What about the thief next to Jesus? Luke 23:43 Jesus answered him, "Truly I tell you, today you will be with me in paradise."
We wouldn't really be able to use Luke 23:43 as proof.
There was no punctuation in the original text.
Punctuation was added until later by translators and such, being it translator bias.
Original text reads: Jesus answered him Truly I tell you today you will be with me in paradise.
Translator's put the comma either before or after today, depending on their belief system.

Bobby Hall

Jan 8, 2015
KingJ said:

Look, I certainly did not write those many many scriptures I posted. The scriptures I posted do not rely on missing or misplaced punctuations. symbolic language or metaphors, easily misunderstood parables or visions or even hard to understand scriptures. The scriptures I used and posted are so easy to read and understand that I would submit they are written at the sixth-grade level. I also stated that if these plain ans simple scriptures do not clarify for you the Biblical state of the dead as understood by Paul, the Christ, Job, and David, then there is nothing that can convince you. You are certainly free to deny all these many scriptures should you so choose. Go in peace.
ATP said:
Can you break down these verses. I'm curious of your thoughts on these..2 Cor 5:8, 2 Cor 5:1-3, Phil 1:23, Rev 6:9-11, Rev 7:9-17. Try to use the soul sleep thread though.

We wouldn't really be able to use Luke 23:43 as proof.
There was no punctuation in the original text.
Punctuation was added until later by translators and such, being it translator bias.
Original text reads: Jesus answered him Truly I tell you today you will be with me in paradise.
Translator's put the comma either before or after today, depending on their belief system.
Actually it is very easy to put into prospective. Simply go back and get the gist of the conversation.
Let us see what the thief actually asked for the Christ to do for him:

Luk 23:42 And he said unto Jesus, Lord, remember me when thou comest into thy kingdom.

The thief apparently knew enough to know that one day Christ was to return to earth to set up His kingdom.

All the Christ did was to assure the thief that whenever He returned to set up His kingdom that the thief would be present in that kingdom.

Bible scripture really isn't that hard to understand if you get away from myth.

ATP

Jan 3, 2015
U.S.A.
Bobby Hall said:
Actually it is very easy to put into prospective. Simply go back and get the gist of the conversation.
Let us see what the thief actually asked for the Christ to do for him:

Luk 23:42 And he said unto Jesus, Lord, remember me when thou comest into thy kingdom.

The thief apparently knew enough to know that one day Christ was to return to earth to set up His kingdom.

All the Christ did was to assure the thief that whenever He returned to set up His kingdom that the thief would be present in that kingdom.
But there were no commas in the original text. So what makes your translation right and everyone else wrong?

Bobby Hall said:
Bible scripture really isn't that hard to understand if you get away from myth.
I'm more curious of your thoughts on these..2 Cor 5:8, 2 Cor 5:1-3, Phil 1:23, Rev 6:9-11, Rev 7:9-17, that prove soul sleep is false.

Bobby Hall

Jan 8, 2015
ATP said:
But there were no commas in the original text. So what makes your translation right and everyone else wrong?

I'm more curious of your thoughts on these..2 Cor 5:8, 2 Cor 5:1-3, Phil 1:23, Rev 6:9-11, Rev 7:9-17, that prove soul sleep is false.
Friend, the scripture I posted where the thief asked the Christ to remember him when he came into his kingdom has never been questioned as to its punctuation as far as I know. Leave the comma out and read it. It will mean the same thing. I've already posted on 2 Cor 5.8 and 2 Cor 5 1-3 and you didn't accept the scriptures then why bother anymore. As far as soul sleep, all souls as far as I know sleep. Horses, cattle, sheep, human, even fish. A soul is simply a living creature.
This is really quite simple. Do you believe the Christ's own words or do you not? Joh_3:13 And no man hath ascended up to heaven, but he that came down from heaven, even the Son of man which is in heaven.

ATP

Jan 3, 2015
U.S.A.
Bobby Hall said:
Friend, the scripture I posted where the thief asked the Christ to remember him when he came into his kingdom has never been questioned as to its punctuation as far as I know. Leave the comma out and read it. It will mean the same thing.
You would need to do your research on that one. There wasn't any punctuation. Putting the comma before today and after today gives the verse different meaning.

Bobby Hall said:
Leave the comma out and read it. It will mean the same thing. I've already posted on 2 Cor 5.8 and 2 Cor 5 1-3 and you didn't accept the scriptures then why bother anymore.
You did good with your scriptures in your post. I came across something that was interesting.
1 Cor 15:54 - Death is swallowed up in victory / 2 Cor 5:4 - That mortality may be swallowed up in life
I noticed these two scriptures both have "swallowed up" in it, and that 1 Cor 15:54 does give us a timeline.
But what really caught my eye is that 2 Cor 5:4 precedes 2 Cor 5:8.
Very good. What are your thoughts on Rev 6:9-11, the 5th seal? - ATP

Bobby Hall

Jan 8, 2015
ATP said:
You would need to do your research on that one. There wasn't any punctuation. Putting the comma before today and after today gives the verse different meaning.

You did good with your scriptures in your post. I came across something that was interesting.
1 Cor 15:54 - Death is swallowed up in victory / 2 Cor 5:4 - That mortality may be swallowed up in life
I noticed these two scriptures both have "swallowed up" in it, and that 1 Cor 15:54 does give us a timeline.
But what really caught my eye is that 2 Cor 5:4 precedes 2 Cor 5:8.
Very good. What are your thoughts on Rev 6:9-11, the 5th seal? - ATP
If you actually read what I posted, it had no mention of the word "today" anywhere. All I did was go back a couple of verses to get at the subject of the discussion. One always needs to know what the discussion is about. You are putting the carriage in front of the horse, not me.

As I have already stated, if you dismiss all these scriptures out of hand, even what Jesus said Himself, I would be wasting my time to explain anything more to you. You even dismissed the subject being discussed between the theif and the Christ that I showed you. I cannot help you because you are already totally dismissing far too many plain and simple straightforward scriptures.

What is meant by "Led captivity captive"?

From Adam to Christ death and hell (the grave) held man captive. There was no escape from death and the grave.
With the death, burial, and resurrection of Christ, death and the grave was finally defeated. Christ conquered both hell (the grave) and death by His resurrection.
Death and hell (the grave) no longer holds mankind captive. We are finally free. We will live again.

At the end, Christ will cast both death and hell (the grave) into the lake of fire. There will finally be no more death nor hell (the grave) to ever again threaten mankind.

The souls under the alter in Revelation 6:9 is symbolic language and speaks of those who have been slain and are currently being slain for the gospel of Christ. There are no real people under the alter. This is all symbolic. Just as the lamb slain from before the foundation of the earth is symbolic of the Christ and as Abel's blood crying up from the ground is symbolic. Those who are to be killed I take to mean those of the Church who will be killed during the Great Tribulation period.

No one has ascended unto heaven. Believe what Jesus said. Our Father is not a liar.

ATP

Jan 3, 2015
U.S.A.
Bobby Hall said:
As I have already stated, if you dismiss all these scriptures out of hand, even what Jesus said Himself, I would be wasting my time to explain anything more to you.....
You don't understand dude. I'm agreeing with you.

Defensive are we?

Bobby Hall

Jan 8, 2015
ATP said:
You don't understand dude. I'm agreeing with you.

Defensive are we?
Sorry. I simply thought and stated that anyone who read and understood my lengthy post concerning the state of the dead should be satisfied with what the Bible plainly said about the subject and should not require any further explanation other than the many scriptures I posted. I usually find most folks had rather believe their own misinterpretations of the parable of Lazarus and the Rich Man, the vision of the Transfiguration, the symbolisms of Revelation and the souls under the alter, some goofy myth about the Christ going off on a holiday with a thief to a Paradise in the middle of the molten earth, that Christ went and preached to a bunch of dead folks while He was dead himself, and that He freed a bunch of captives from some partition in a fiery hell. It really gets tiring having to explain to so many Christians how they are really hung up on false doctrines, fables, and myths. It's like having to sit through my own Church services when the pastor is constantly telling everyone not to worry about the Tribulation because they will be raptured away to heaven before it happens. It just breaks my heart.