22 major reasons to abandon the Premil doctrine

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Status
Not open for further replies.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@WPM

[QUOTE="marks, post: 1421850, member: 7985"

Jeremiah 31:31-37 KJV
31) Behold, the days come, saith the LORD, that I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel, and with the house of Judah:
32) Not according to the covenant that I made with their fathers in the day that I took them by the hand to bring them out of the land of Egypt; which my covenant they brake, although I was an husband unto them, saith the LORD:
33) But this shall be the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel; After those days, saith the LORD, I will put my law in their inward parts, and write it in their hearts; and will be their God, and they shall be my people.
34) And they shall teach no more every man his neighbour, and every man his brother, saying, Know the LORD: for they shall all know me, from the least of them unto the greatest of them, saith the LORD: for I will forgive their iniquity, and I will remember their sin no more.
35) Thus saith the LORD, which giveth the sun for a light by day, and the ordinances of the moon and of the stars for a light by night, which divideth the sea when the waves thereof roar; The LORD of hosts is his name:
36) If those ordinances depart from before me, saith the LORD, then the seed of Israel also shall cease from being a nation before me for ever.
37) Thus saith the LORD; If heaven above can be measured, and the foundations of the earth searched out beneath, I will also cast off all the seed of Israel for all that they have done, saith the LORD.

Did the sun rise today? If you answer "yes", I think there is more you need to incorporate into your understanding.

Much love![/QUOTE

WPM

May 10, 2022
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jeremiah 31:31-37 KJV
31) Behold, the days come, saith the LORD, that I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel, and with the house of Judah:
32) Not according to the covenant that I made with their fathers in the day that I took them by the hand to bring them out of the land of Egypt; which my covenant they brake, although I was an husband unto them, saith the LORD:
33) But this shall be the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel; After those days, saith the LORD, I will put my law in their inward parts, and write it in their hearts; and will be their God, and they shall be my people.
34) And they shall teach no more every man his neighbour, and every man his brother, saying, Know the LORD: for they shall all know me, from the least of them unto the greatest of them, saith the LORD: for I will forgive their iniquity, and I will remember their sin no more.
35) Thus saith the LORD, which giveth the sun for a light by day, and the ordinances of the moon and of the stars for a light by night, which divideth the sea when the waves thereof roar; The LORD of hosts is his name:
36) If those ordinances depart from before me, saith the LORD, then the seed of Israel also shall cease from being a nation before me for ever.
37) Thus saith the LORD; If heaven above can be measured, and the foundations of the earth searched out beneath, I will also cast off all the seed of Israel for all that they have done, saith the LORD.

Did the sun rise today? If you answer "yes", I think there is more you need to incorporate into your understanding.

Much love!

This is pointing us straight to Christ and His once all-sufficient sacrifice at the cross. Clearly the ancient prophets anticipated a suffering servant not some conquering king. Thank God, the benefits of the covenant He made are still active today. The results of Calvary are ongoing and relate to the intra-Advent period. It is not merely a future reality.

The old covenant is gone forever. It has been replaced by a new and better covenant. There is absolutely no distinction between Jew and Gentile today in Christ. The old is defunct. What is more, there is not one single teaching from Christ, Paul, Peter or any of the New Testament writers that remotely suggests the Old Testament land promises, ordinances or traditions lasted any longer than the cross. The focus is Christ’s redemptive work, and the scope is extended to the world.

Hebrews 8:7-8 explains, “For if that first covenant had been faultless, then should no place have been sought for the second. For finding fault with them, he saith, Behold, the days come, saith the Lord, when I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel and with the house of Judah.”

Christ came to replace the broken Sinai covenant with a new covenant that could never be broken. The old covenant was faulty and defective. The enlightened believer will know: anything holy that is dependent upon sinful man fulfilling it is doomed to failure. The Old Hebrew code had many limitations. It therefore had to be replaced. Those who advocate its current or future usefulness fight with repeated New Testament Scripture.

The only provision for our sins, is the sacrifice of Calvary. The sad thing is: many Christians today speak on this subject as if the cross never happened. They talk as if the old covenant is still germane today or will be in the future. They want to go back to the old imperfect system. They yearn for the restoration of an old-covenant-type physical kingdom that is focused on the natural, temporal and earthly. They want Israel to return to her former prominent state above all other nations. They want to elevate Israel to a place that they no longer own in the New Testament. Many want to render circumcision (the sign of the old covenant) meritorious or advantageous when the New Testament says it avails nothing. They promote the return of the Levitical priesthood, even though Christ is man’s heavenly and eternal high priest. They promote the rebuilding of a Jewish temple in Jerusalem and desire the complete restoration of the Levitical ceremonial system despite the fact that Christ and His body are shown to be that today.

While Dispensationalists are fixated with all things biologically Jewish, they seem blind to the fact that the infant New Testament Church was indeed faithful Israel. Christ’s early followers consisted of the elect remnant of Israel. This was the enlightened congregation of Jewish believers from among wider national Israel. They were the Israeli community who believed that Jesus was the Jewish Messiah.

This company contained people like Mary and Joseph, John the Baptist and his parents Zechariah and Elizabeth, Simeon and Anna who were waiting faithfully in the temple for Jesus, and early disciples like Peter, James and John. Many Jews recognized Jesus as the Messiah and embraced Him during His earthly ministry. In fact, they came to Him in great multitudes. Both Nicodemus and Joseph of Arimathea, who were both believed to be members of the ruling body of the Jews – the Sanhedrin, trusted in Him. Faithful Israel also included that Hebrew of the Hebrews the apostle Paul. The fledgling early Church overwhelmingly consisted of true believing Israelites. This was the ongoing righteous remnant of Israel. Those Jews who rejected Jesus were apostate Israel. They preferred to remain in their sins and go to a lost eternity.

The 12 apostles were Jewish. The New Testament writers were Jewish. The 70 disciples that were sent out to evangelize Israel were likewise. The true Israel of the Old Testament became the nucleus of the new covenant congregation. That small faithful band of Israelis that existed after the death, burial and resurrection of Christ became the New Testament Church, and became later known as Christians (Acts 11:26). It was that faithful number who Jesus used to make disciples of all nations (Matthew 28:19).

The 120, who met on the Jewish festival of Pentecost, were of solid Israeli stock. When Peter preached on the day of Pentecost after the Holy Spirit had fell, his audience was devout Jews “out of every nation under heaven” who had gathered in Jerusalem for the feast of Pentecost. That is why he addressed them as “Ye men of Israel” (Acts 2:5). Personally, three thousand of them experience salvation. Not long after that, God saved five thousand Jews in Jerusalem (Acts 4:4). Following that, there was “multitudes both of men and women” who “were the more added to the Lord” in Acts 5:14. There was a mighty ingathering of Jews in the early New Testament Church.

Last edited:
Reactions: covenantee

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What is more, there is not one single teaching from Christ, Paul, Peter or any of the New Testament writers that remotely suggests the Old Testament land promises, ordinances or traditions lasted any longer than the cross.

Before getting into what the NT does and does not say, your assertion is that this passage no longer carries any force?

Jeremiah 31:35-37 KJV

That the seed of Israel has in fact ceased to be a nation before God? That God has also cast out the seed of Israel because of what they did? Is that correct?

Much love!

WPM

May 10, 2022
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Before getting into what the NT does and does not say, your assertion is that this passage no longer carries any force?

Jeremiah 31:35-37 KJV

That the seed of Israel has in fact ceased to be a nation before God? That God has also cast out the seed of Israel because of what they did? Is that correct?

Much love!

Israel indeed ceased as a physical nation during this past 2000 years. It saw its national rebirth in May 14, 1948. This passage is obviously talking about a spiritual nation. Israel still survives as a spiritual nation manifested in the New Testament Church. The caterpillar has changed into the butterfly. Natural Israel have developed into spiritual Israel. This is the way it was always meant to be. We are the Israel of God, spiritual Jews, the circumcision of God, the children of Abraham by faith. The text highlights what age it applies to.

Last edited:
Reactions: covenantee

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
While Dispensationalists are fixated with all things biologically Jewish, they seem blind
And this has no place in intelligent discussion. All the stuff like that. Makes posts needlessly long.

Part of my request to simplify the discuss is to stay on topic, which does not include blanket generalizations painting false pictures. You may easily consider me "dispensational", though people often pack a lot of baggage onto labels like that. If you go on to presume that I am "fixated on all things biologically Jewish", we'll be off into the weeds faster than you can say "tie your shoelaces".

I'm really looking for a higher quality of debate here.

Much love!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Israel has indeed ceased as a physical nation during this past 2000 years. It saw its national rebirth in May 14, 1948. This passage is obviously talking about a spiritual nation. Israel still survives as a spiritual nation manifested in the New Testament Church. The caterpillar has changed into the butterfly. Natural Israel have developed into spiritual Israel. This is the way it was always meant to be. We are the Israel of God, spiritual Jews, the circumcision of God, the children of Abraham by faith. The text highlights what age it applies to.
And where God specified the "seed of Israel", what does that mean to you?

I'm curious . . . if God were to declare that the nation of Israel would remain - remain - a nation before Him always, what do you suppose He would say so that we would know this?

Your interpretation seems to me to deny the intent of the passage. There was a nation known as Israel, and to that nation, God prophesied it would cease to be a nation if the sun ceased to shine, basically. You are asserting that the nation continued but in a different people.

I assert that this prophecy was given to a certain people, about them. That is the way it's written.

Why would God "cast off" the physical descendants of Jacob? Israel, as known in that day?

Much love!

Last edited:

covenantee

Feb 22, 2022
Canada
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada

I'm curious . . . if God were to declare that the nation of Israel would remain - remain - a nation before Him always, what do you suppose He would say so that we would know this?

Much love!
Here's the seed of Israel.

Genetically, the entirety of humanity.

Corroborated empirically by the Jewish community itself.

Abraham lineage
DNA Tests Could Fulfill God’s Promise to Abraham by Revealing Millions of Jews. But How Jewish is Jewish Enough?
Israel in all of Us? Research finds 'Jewish genes' in unusual places
Jewish-Roots Arabs in Israel
Tracing the lost tribes to Jewish communities in Africa
Nigeria's Igbo Jews: 'Lost tribe' of Israel? - CNN
http://www.worldjewishcongress.org/...-africa-has-jewish-roots-genetic-tests-reveal
https://www.jpost.com/Jewish-World/...her-claims-proof-of-tribe-of-Ephraim-in-India
https://www.jta.org/2013/05/23/life...bush-bani-israel-tribe-claims-jewish-heritage

Demonstrated mathematically.

Example of ancestral genetic ubiquity:

Charlemagne’s DNA and Our Universal Royalty

BY CARL ZIMMER

Nobody in my past was hugely famous, at least that I know of. I vaguely recall that an ancestor of mine who shipped over on the Mayflower distinguished himself by falling out of the ship and having to get fished out of the water. He might be notable, I guess, but hardly famous. It is much more fun to think that I am a bloodline descendant of Charlemagne. And in 1999, Joseph Chang gave me permission to think that way.

Chang was not a genealogist who had decided to make me his personal project. Instead, he is a statistician at Yale who likes to think of genealogy as a mathematical problem. When you draw your genealogy, you make two lines from yourself back to each of your parents. Then you have to draw two lines for each of them, back to your four grandparents. And then eight great-grandparents, sixteen great-great-grandparents, and so on. But not so on for very long. If you go back to the time of Charlemagne, forty generations or so, you should get to a generation of a trillion ancestors. That’s about two thousand times more people than existed on Earth when Charlemagne was alive.

The only way out of this paradox is to assume that our ancestors are not independent of one another. That is, if you trace their ancestry back, you loop back to a common ancestor. We’re not talking about first-cousin stuff here–more like twentieth-cousin. This means that instead of drawing a tree that fans out exponentially, we need to draw a web-like tapestry.

In a paper he published in 1999 [pdf], Chang analyzed this tapestry mathematically. If you look at the ancestry of a living population of people, he concluded, you’ll eventually find a common ancestor of all of them. That’s not to say that a single mythical woman somehow produced every European by magically laying a clutch of eggs. All this means is that as you move back through time, sooner or later some of the lines in the genealogy will cross, meeting at a single person.

As you go back further in time, more of those lines cross as you encounter more common ancestors of the living population. And then something really interesting happens. There comes a point at which, Chang wrote, “all individuals who have any descendants among the present-day individuals are actually ancestors of all present-day individuals.”

In 2002, the journalist Steven Olson wrote an article in the Atlantic about Chang’s work. To put some empirical meat on the abstract bones of Chang’s research, Olson considered a group of real people–living Europeans.

The most recent common ancestor of every European today (except for recent immigrants to the Continent) was someone who lived in Europe in the surprisingly recent past—only about 600 years ago. In other words, all Europeans alive today have among their ancestors the same man or woman who lived around 1400. Before that date, according to Chang’s model, the number of ancestors common to all Europeans today increased, until, about a thousand years ago, a peculiar situation prevailed: 20 percent of the adult Europeans alive in 1000 would turn out to be the ancestors of no one living today (that is, they had no children or all their descendants eventually died childless); each of the remaining 80 percent would turn out to be a direct ancestor of every European living today.

Suddenly, my pedigree looked classier: I am a descendant of Charlemagne. Of course, so is every other European. By the way, I’m also a descendant of Nefertiti. And so are you, and everyone else on Earth today. Chang figured that out by expanding his model from living Europeans to living humans, and getting an estimate of 3400 years instead of a thousand for the all-ancestor generation.

Things have changed a lot in the fourteen years since Chang published his first paper on ancestry. Scientists have amassed huge databases of genetic information about people all over the world. These may not be the same thing as a complete genealogy of the human race, but geneticists can still use them to tackle some of the same questions that intrigued Chang.

Recently, two geneticists, Peter Ralph of the University of Southern California and Graham Coop of the University of California at Davis, decided to look at the ancestry of Europe. They took advantage of a compilation of information about 2257 people from across the continent. Scientists had examined half a million sites in each person’s DNA, creating a distinctive list of genetic markers for each of them.

You can use this kind of genetic information to make some genealogical inferences, but you have to know what you’re dealing with. Your DNA is not a carbon copy of your parents’. Each time they made eggs or sperm, they shuffled the two copies of each of their chromosomes and put one in the cell. Just as a new deck gets more scrambled the more times you shuffle it, chromosomes get more shuffled from one generation to the next.

This means that if you compare two people’s DNA, you will find some chunks that are identical in sequence. The more closely related people are, the bigger the chunks you’ll find. This diagram shows how two first cousins share a piece of DNA that’s identical by descent (IBD for short).

Ralph and Coop identified 1.9 million of these long shared segments of DNA shared by at least two people in their study. They then used the length of each segment to estimate how long ago it arose from a common ancestor of the living Europeans.

Their results, published today in PLOS Biology, both confirm Chang’s mathematical approach and enrich it. Even within the past thousand years, Ralph and Coop found, people on opposite sides of the continent share a lot of segments in common–so many, in fact, that it’s statistically impossible for them to have gotten them all from a single ancestor. Instead, someone in Turkey and someone in England have to share a lot of ancestors. In fact, as Chang suspected, the only way to explain the DNA is to conclude that everyone who lived a thousand years ago who has any descendants today is an ancestor of every European. Charlemagne for everyone!

If you compare two people in Turkey, you’ll find bigger shared segments of DNA, which isn’t surprising. Since they live in the same country, chances are they have more recent ancestors, and more of them. But there is a rich, intriguing pattern to the number of shared segments among Europeans. People across Eastern Europe, for example, have a larger set of shared segments than people from within single countries in Western Europe. That difference may be the signature of a big expansion of the Slavs.

Ralph and Coop’s study may provide a new tool for reconstructing the history of humans on every continent, not just Europe. It will also probably keep people puzzling over the complexities of genealogy.

How does God distinguish genetic Jews from genetic Jews?

It matters not one whit.

Because God has only two covenant criteria.

Two spiritual genes.

Faith and obedience.

Abraham's Spiritual DNA.

And nothing else.

Last edited:

WPM

May 10, 2022
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Much love!

Galatians 3:16-18 adds: “Now to Abraham and his seed were the promises made. He saith not, And to seeds, as of many; but as of one, And to thy seed, which is Christ. And this I say, that the covenant, that was confirmed before of God in Christ, the law, which was four hundred and thirty years after, cannot disannul, that it should make the promise of none effect. For if the inheritance be of the law, it is no more of promise: but God gave it to Abraham by promise.”

Whilst Christ was the fulfilment of every physical promise to Israel, His mission was totally spiritual. He came to redeem fallen man from his hopeless condition. We should not forget: Christ did not have a physical offspring, He only had a spiritual offspring. This reminds us that the true seed of Abraham are not physical or ethnic but totally spiritual. The spiritual seed is the household of faith. That holy seed is the believing elect remnant taken from Israel and from throughout the nations.

The blessing God promised in Abraham is found exclusively in Jesus Christ and what He secured for sinful man at Calvary. He is the realization of every single Old Testament covenant. God’s covenant with Abraham is to his seed (singular) not to his seeds (plural). And the singular seed of Abraham to whom the promises to Abraham pertain is Christ. The spiritual seed of Abraham is found solely today within the Church of Jesus Christ. This is all that matters, as racial birth or appearance carry no favor with God. It is they alone that are “blessed” and are now part of the eternal “promises made.”

Christ is the fulfilment of the Abrahamic covenant and the great promises contained within it. Christ is the true seed of Abraham, not national Israel that rejects Christ and everything He represents. This passage emphasizes this great truth in a very clear and succinct way, saying: “to Abraham and his seed … which is Christ.” There is no other way of reading this. Hence, those that are found in Christ are Abraham’s true seed; those that are not are not.

WPM

May 10, 2022
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And this has no place in intelligent discussion. All the stuff like that. Makes posts needlessly long.

Part of my request to simplify the discuss is to stay on topic, which does not include blanket generalizations painting false pictures. You may easily consider me "dispensational", though people often pack a lot of baggage onto labels like that. If you go on to presume that I am "fixated on all things biologically Jewish", we'll be off into the weeds faster than you can say "tie your shoelaces".

I'm really looking for a higher quality of debate here.

Much love!

Why did you stop your quote mid-sentence? I didn't say Premils were blind. I stated: "they seem blind to the fact that the infant New Testament Church was indeed faithful Israel."

It is obviously your attempt to misrepresent or discredit!

Last edited:

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Nonsense.

I quoted the pertinent part to my reply.

Never mind . . . This is what I was talking about why I wasn't so inclined to enter this debate. Too much time wasted on nonsense like this ad hominem.

Much love!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You continue right along.

What it is that they seem "blind to" to you matters little to me. The point is, your assertion was that "dispensationalists" are "fixated with all things biologically Jewish", and to you "seem blind to", again, I'm not interested in the details of what you think I'm blind to, it's a poor argument, presumptuous, deflecting, as waste of time. The whole statement is simply poor discussion.

"Fixated on all things biologically Jewish" sure thing!

So nevermind.

Much love!

Last edited:

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Nobody in my past was hugely famous, at least that I know of. I vaguely recall that an ancestor of mine who shipped over on the Mayflower distinguished himself by falling out of the ship and having to get fished out of the water. He might be notable, I guess, but hardly famous. It is much more fun to think that I am a bloodline descendant of Charlemagne. And in 1999, Joseph Chang gave me permission to think that way.
It appears you've quoted this without attribution from someone else's work.

Charlemagne’s DNA and Our Universal Royalty

Much love!

WPM

May 10, 2022
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Why abandon the Old Testament?

Everything in both the Old and New Testament is pointing towards Jesus Christ. It is not about physical earthly land. It is not about the Middle East. It is not about a brick temple. It is about spiritual territory. It is about a heavenly kingdom. Earthly Zion means nothing today; heavenly Zion is everything. It is not about an earthly king, but rather a heavenly king. It is not about race; it is rather about grace.

WPM

May 10, 2022
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Nonsense.

I quoted the pertinent part to my reply.

Never mind . . . This is what I was talking about why I wasn't so inclined to enter this debate. Too much time wasted on nonsense like this ad hominem.

Much love!

Yes. You have nothing of biblical value to contribute. So, it is pointless engaging with you. All you have is insults and taking offence.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Revelation 20:1-7 KJV
1) And I saw an angel come down from heaven, having the key of the bottomless pit and a great chain in his hand.
2) And he laid hold on the dragon, that old serpent, which is the Devil, and Satan, and bound him a thousand years,
3) And cast him into the bottomless pit, and shut him up, and set a seal upon him, that he should deceive the nations no more, till the thousand years should be fulfilled: and after that he must be loosed a little season.
4) And I saw thrones, and they sat upon them, and judgment was given unto them: and I saw the souls of them that were beheaded for the witness of Jesus, and for the word of God, and which had not worshipped the beast, neither his image, neither had received his mark upon their foreheads, or in their hands; and they lived and reigned with Christ a thousand years.
5) But the rest of the dead lived not again until the thousand years were finished. This is the first resurrection.
6) Blessed and holy is he that hath part in the first resurrection: on such the second death hath no power, but they shall be priests of God and of Christ, and shall reign with him a thousand years.
7) And when the thousand years are expired, Satan shall be loosed out of his prison,

How many years will Satan be bound?

How many years will Satan be shut up in the abyss?

How many years will the martyrs reign with Christ?

How many years until the resurrection of the rest of the dead?

How many times does God have to tell us before it will be believed?

Here are 6 reasons to believe this will be 1000 years. Just from quoting the Bible.

Much love!

CadyandZoe

May 17, 2020
Phoenix
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Everything in both the Old and New Testament is pointing towards Jesus Christ. It is not about physical earthly land. It is not about the Middle East. It is not about a brick temple. It is about spiritual territory. It is about a heavenly kingdom. Earthly Zion means nothing today; heavenly Zion is everything. It is not about an earthly king, but rather a heavenly king. It is not about race; it is rather about grace.
What are you talking about? What is "it"?

Earthly Zion might be meaningless to You, but not to God. Earthly Zion is where Jesus will rule the world.

WPM

May 10, 2022
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What are you talking about? What is "it"?

Earthly Zion might be meaningless to You, but not to God. Earthly Zion is where Jesus will rule the world.

Not so. Not only are you besotted with the wrong Israel, the wrong temple, the wrong covenant, but also the wrong Zion.

Romans 9:30-33 states: “the Gentiles, which followed not after righteousness, have attained to righteousness, even the righteousness which is of faith. But Israel, which followed after the law of righteousness, hath not attained to the law of righteousness. Wherefore? Because they sought it not by faith, but as it were by the works of the law. For they stumbled at that stumblingstone; As it is written, Behold, I lay in Sion a stumblingstone and rock of offence: and whosoever believeth on him shall not be ashamed.”

In the New Testament, Christ rules over spiritual Zion. All who embrace Him reside there and enjoy the spiritual blessings that accompanies intimacy with Him. Everything in both the Old and New Testament is pointing towards Jesus Christ. It is not about physical earthly land. It is not about the Middle East. It is not about a brick temple. It is about spiritual territory. It is about a heavenly kingdom. Earthly Zion means nothing today; heavenly Zion is everything. It is not about an earthly king, but rather a heavenly king. It is not about race; it is rather about grace.

“The stone which the builders rejected” (Psalm 118:22), “a stone of stumbling and for a rock of offence” (Isaiah 8:14) or the “stumblingstone” (Romans 9:32-33) within Zion (Sion) is Jesus Christ. Scripture shows us that the rejection of that figurative stone was the rejection of our Savior. Paul, in Romans 9:30-33, shows natural Gentiles (heathens) accepting that stone, experiencing salvation, and entering into the favor of God. Natural Israel, on the other hand, is shown in Romans 9:31–32 to have stumbled at Christ the rock.

Romans 9:33 broadens Zion out to “whosoever believes in him shall not be ashamed.” This includes God’s people of all nationalities. Those who were hitherto aliens and strangers to Almighty God have now graciously “attained to righteousness” whereas natural Israel “hath not attained to the law of righteousness.” The spiritual application is obvious.

Albert Barnes explains: “This rock, designed as a corner stone to the Church, became, by the wickedness of the Jews, the block over which they fell into ruin.”

Through Calvary, the Gentile has been brought into a new realm, a new spiritual status, and therefore enjoys a new citizenship, with its consequential new benefits. Gentile believers unite with Jewish believers in inhabiting Zion. Salvation comes by grace alone, through faith alone, in Christ alone.

Romans 11:26, “all Israel shall be saved: as it is written, There shall come out of Sion the Deliverer, and shall turn away ungodliness from Jacob.”

Paul makes a slight alteration to Isaiah’s prophecy in order to show the fulfilment of this glorious prophecy. Instead of saying that the Redeemer would “come to Zion” he significantly says Christ would “come out of Sion.” Is there a reason for this? The reason for this significant amendment was obviously because this Old Testament prophecy was no longer unfulfilled but was perfectly fulfilled in Christ’s earthly ministry

As we discovered previously, Paul takes his statement “all Israel shall be saved” from Isaiah 59:20: “as it is written.” So what does it say? Isaiah 59:20 says, “And the Redeemer shall come to Zion, and unto them that turn from transgression in Jacob, saith the LORD. As for me, this is my covenant with them, saith the LORD.”

Many Dispensationalists will highlight the last part of Romans 11:26, which promises unbroken favor upon ethnic Israelites, but seem to miss, ignore or conveniently overlook the actual company in view. It is not all natural Israelites. It is not an unqualified statement. Scripture is careful to attribute eternal favor to only those that are redeemed (whether Jew or Gentile). The reading outlines a conditional clause: “And the Redeemer shall come to Zion, and unto them that turn from transgression in Jacob, saith the LORD.” “Sion” in reference to “Jacob” relates to the kingdom of God. Christ the Messiah (the deliverer) will come out from among true Israel, not natural Israel (Jacob).

1 Peter 2:3-11 adds further evidence to our enquiry: “If so be ye have tasted that the Lord is gracious. To whom coming, as unto a living stone, disallowed indeed of men, but chosen of God, and precious, Ye also, as lively stones, are built up a spiritual house, an holy priesthood, to offer up spiritual sacrifices, acceptable to God by Jesus Christ. Wherefore also it is contained in the scripture, Behold, I lay in Sion a chief corner stone, elect, precious: and he that believeth on him shall not be confounded. Unto you therefore which believe he is precious: but unto them which be disobedient, the stone which the builders disallowed, the same is made the head of the corner, And a stone of stumbling, and a rock of offence, even to them which stumble at the word, being disobedient: whereunto also they were appointed. But ye are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, an holy nation, a peculiar people; that ye should shew forth the praises of him who hath called you out of darkness into his marvellous light: Which in time past were not a people, but are now the people of God: which had not obtained mercy, but now have obtained mercy.”

Peter does not relate Sion (Zion) to the natural realm and to ethnicity. It does not apply without salvation to natural Jews or to the physical nation of Israel, as modern-day Dispensationalists do. Quite the opposite! He shows Zion to be a spiritual place that all believers inhabit. God’s people are often referred to in Scripture in figurative terms. In this passage, they are specifically described in building terms. The Church is described as a spiritual structure incorporating spiritual building blocks – collectively known as His body – the temple. In 1 Peter 2:6, believers are described as being “lively stones” in God’s “spiritual house,” and as being a “holy priesthood” offering up “spiritual sacrifices.” This building is said to be located in “Zion,” with Christ as its “chief cornerstone.” These are the only sacrifices that are acceptable to God today.

The elect of God enter Zion upon salvation, as they embrace Christ. Peter describes Gods people as a “chosen generation, a royal priesthood, an holy nation, a peculiar people” (1 Peter 2:5). Like Jesus teaching in Matthew 21:42-46, the nation mentioned is shown to be no ordinary carnal nation. No, but a sanctified spiritual community found throughout all nations. It is a spiritual nation that is positionally seated in heavenly places.

What is more, verse 10 shows the dominant people in view here are not Jews but Gentiles. These were a people who have previously “in time past were not a people, but are now the people of God: which had not obtained mercy, but now have obtained mercy.” This agrees with the constant message of the New Testament that all the people of God, whether Jew or Gentile, have taken a hold of Sion’s king and entered into a heavenly standing in Christ.

The believer is now seated in heavenly places spiritually – in the true Mount Zion. Why? Because Christ now reigns there on David’s throne. Those that have the “fear of the LORD is his treasure” and experience the “strength of salvation.” There is no need for some supposed future millennium, this age fulfils every heavenly requirement for the fulfilment of Christ’s kingly reign.

Hebrews 12:18 supports this contention, saying, “For ye are not come [plural perfect active indicative] unto the mount that might be touched, and that burned with fire, nor unto blackness, and darkness, and tempest.”

Hebrews 12:22 says, “But ye are come [plural perfect active indicative] unto mount Sion, and unto the city of the living God, the heavenly Jerusalem, and to an innumerable company of angels.”

Physical Jerusalem is no longer considered true Sion (Zion). Under the new covenant, Sion (Zion) is heavenly and eternal, not earthly and temporal. The mount that matters today is revealed as heavenly Sion, not physical Jerusalem that has rejected Christ for 2000 years. These references in the original relate to the present, and are active, meaning the subject continues to exist in the state indicated by the verb. They relate to the here-and-now and are ongoing. They speak of our immediate entry into the kingdom of God and our current spiritual standing in the New Jerusalem. The heavenly Jerusalem is more than a future hope (even though it most assuredly is that), it is a present reality.

Status
Not open for further replies.