7 Church Ages/ The final age... Laodecia...the lukewarm church

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Let's go back to Exodus...

And I love Matthew Henry's Commentary so I always go there when I want to expand on something...
Moses is given strict instructions about how to build everything concerning the tabernacle or Holy Temple....
There is in the midst of these instructions an express caution given to Moses, to take heed of varying from his model: Make them after the pattern shown thee, v. 40. Nothing was left to his own invention, or the fancy of the workmen, or the people's humour; but the will of God must be religiously observed in every particular. Thus, 1. All God's providences are exactly according to his counsels, and the copy never varies from the original. Infinite Wisdom never changes its measures; whatever is purposed shall undoubtedly be performed. 2. All his ordinances must be administered according to his institutions. Christ's instruction to his disciples (Mt. 28:20) is similar to this: Observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you.
Carefully, exactly, precisely! Give God the glory!

Reactions: Heart2Soul

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So judgment begins at the house of the Lord and the 7 churches represent the spiritual condition of the church and how it has failed to follow His instructions to the letter....
And in failing to follow these instructions the church has fallen away, and now is a lukewarm church without any power.

"Son of man, when the land sinneth against me by trespassing grievously, then will I stretch out mine hand upon it, and will break the staff of the bread thereof, and will send famine upon it, and will cut off man and beast from it:
Though these three men, Noah, Daniel, and Job, were in it, they should deliver but their own souls by their righteousness, saith the Lord GOD." Ezek 14:13-14

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This song ministers to my heart and spirit every time I hear it...
I had to search a bit to find a version sung by someone I knew did a good job. I always like Tennessee Ernie Ford. Most of the people I like don't make records any more at least not in this world!

Heart2Soul

Spiritual Warrior
Staff member
May 10, 2018
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I had to search a bit to find a version sung by someone I knew did a good job. I always like Tennessee Ernie Ford. Most of the people I like don't make records any more at least not in this world!
Yes and hardly any one is left that remembers him...did he sing Oklahoma Hills?

Heart2Soul

Spiritual Warrior
Staff member
May 10, 2018
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
"Son of man, when the land sinneth against me by trespassing grievously, then will I stretch out mine hand upon it, and will break the staff of the bread thereof, and will send famine upon it, and will cut off man and beast from it:
Though these three men, Noah, Daniel, and Job, were in it, they should deliver but their own souls by their righteousness, saith the Lord GOD." Ezek 14:13-14
Amos 8 (KJV)
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
¹¹ Behold, the days come, saith the Lord GOD, that I will send a famine in the land, not a famine of bread, nor a thirst for water, but of hearing the words of the LORD:
¹² And they shall wander from sea to sea, and from the north even to the east, they shall run to and fro to seek the word of the LORD, and shall not find it.
¹³ In that day shall the fair virgins and young men faint for thirst.
¹⁴ They that swear by the sin of Samaria, and say, Thy god, O Dan, liveth; and, The manner of Beersheba liveth; even they shall fall, and never rise up again.

Reactions: amadeus

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes and hardly any one is left that remembers him...did he sing Oklahoma Hills?
I don't believe so. The Oklahoma Hills is much older than him. It was written and first made popular on the radio by an old Okie, Woodie Guthrie. I believe he died before anyone was popular on TV. He is the one my mother loved. When she died in 2006 I managed to order a CD with him singing the song so we could play it at her memorial service. Since few people alive remember him as a popular singer it would be hard to find. He did not even make vinyl records that I know about. But some people know his music and have sung his songs. To find him singing them...?.

Ronald David Bruno

Nov 7, 2020
Southern
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What Are the Seven Churches of Revelation?
The short letters in Revelation chapters two and three are addressed to these specific seven churches:

• Ephesus: The church that had abandoned its first love for Christ (Revelation 2:4).
  • Smyrna: The church that would face severe persecution (Revelation 2:10).
  • Pergamum: The church that needed to repent of sin (Revelation 2:16).
  • Thyatira: The church whose false prophetess was leading people astray (Revelation 2:20).
  • Sardis: The sleeping church that needed to wake up (Revelation 3:2).
  • Philadelphia: The church that had patiently persevered (Revelation 3:10).
  • Laodicea: The church with lukewarm faith (Revelation 3:16).
The letters have a three-fold meaning.
1. Specific messages for each of those churches around 95AD.
2. The churches represent church types through the church Age. We can see these in each generation and now. A faithful church, a persecuted church, a church with good doctrinal teaching yet lacking in lost love ( cold), a worldly church, one that is almost dead, etc.
3. We see the Body as a mixture of these seven and within the Body we see ourselves individually. Some are faithful, most of us need to repent.
Every church, every generation, every Christian needs to be reminded of all these messages.

Rita

Staff member
Dec 20, 2020
South
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I have only just seen this thread.... the churches in revelation have always interested me, done a few studied on them, but not really considered the church ages ( although I have heard of that link before ). I have to go to work soon but will take a look at the thread tonight and when I am off tomorrow.
Rita x

Rita

Staff member
Dec 20, 2020
South
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
@Heart2Soul , b
Can I ask why you think we are on the last church era , or are you coming to that !?
You see one message , or one word has come up a lot in the last few years ‘ wake from your slumber ‘ ‘ awake ‘ .....which could apply to one of the earlier churches !?
How long is a Church era ?
What era in history do all the churches belong......( time line ) .....

Also, the very first church, as I read those verses again It never occurred to me that it could be aligned to the Jewish nation ( only a thought that popped into my head ) you see the messiah was someone they desperately looked for, the most important person. Yet when he came they didn’t love him..........sorry that may be way off base and random.
Hence why a time line may be helpful, and the views of others xx
Right I do need to get ready for work
Rita

Heart2Soul

Spiritual Warrior
Staff member
May 10, 2018
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The letters have a three-fold meaning.
1. Specific messages for each of those churches around 95AD.
2. The churches represent church types through the church Age. We can see these in each generation and now. A faithful church, a persecuted church, a church with good doctrinal teaching yet lacking in lost love ( cold), a worldly church, one that is almost dead, etc.
3. We see the Body as a mixture of these seven and within the Body we see ourselves individually. Some are faithful, most of us need to repent.
Every church, every generation, every Christian needs to be reminded of all these messages.
I looked at the history of the 7 churches and they were all in Asia but each came and went in different periods of time....and none of them exist today...
Google Image Result for https://www.blueletterbible.org/assets/images/study/larkin/dispensationalTruth/c72.jpg

Heart2Soul

Spiritual Warrior
Staff member
May 10, 2018
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Heart2Soul , b
Can I ask why you think we are on the last church era , or are you coming to that !?
You see one message , or one word has come up a lot in the last few years ‘ wake from your slumber ‘ ‘ awake ‘ .....which could apply to one of the earlier churches !?

Also, the very first church, as I read those verses again It never occurred to me that it could be aligned to the Jewish nation ( only a thought that popped into my head ) you see the messiah was someone they desperately looked for, the most important person. Yet when he came they didn’t love him..........sorry that may be way off base and random.
Rita
Coming to it.

Heart2Soul

Spiritual Warrior
Staff member
May 10, 2018
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Here is an image of the time period each church was foundedBook of Revelation Timeline Chart.jpeg.jpg

Heart2Soul

Spiritual Warrior
Staff member
May 10, 2018
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Heart2Soul , b

Rita
In regards to God's Plan from beginning to end our focus is all about Restoring, renewing and redeeming
His People, His Church and His Kingdom...
So the 7 churches in Revelation shows how far the church has moved away from His True Church....
And as one ended and the next arose it continued to develop different spiritual walks were born.
So IMHO I believe that the church has long surpassed the first 6....but I agree with @Ronald David Bruno in post 32...especially point number 3.
And since none of these churches exist today then we can easily conclude that these are metaphorically describing an "age" of the church and where it has both pleased and displeased the Lord.

Heart2Soul

Spiritual Warrior
Staff member
May 10, 2018
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So I believe that all 7 churches passed to the next generation a part of itself through maintaining some traditional teachings but also adopting new interpretations of scripture....little by little weakening in the Power of His Word and becoming nothing more than a spiritually lukewarm church...
God has sent revivals at different times to stir us up again and revive our zeal to seek Him...
And He is now, even today, pouring His Spirit out all over the world and testimonies are coming in all around us of mighty moves of God taking place everywhere ..the anointing of the Holy Spirit being poured out on all flesh and hearts are being changed, gifts being stirred up again...signs and wonders following the preaching of the Word....
God is stirring us up, reviving us, waking us up from slumber and sending us out to gather the harvest.

Ronald David Bruno

Nov 7, 2020
Southern
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So the 7 churches in Revelation shows how far the church has moved away from His True Church.

No it hasn't. Whoever made that chart is inaccurate and frankly a bit unfaithful.
That chart claims the faithful church (Philadelphia type), the church of brotherly love ended in 1900.
In 1900 there were 500 million Christians. Now there is 2.65 billion. That's growth! The Gospel has been spread throughout the last 1989 years exactly how God ordained it to.
IF YOU do not believe this, then you have an unfaithful view of our SOVEREIGN LORD.
He is in control!
The Body and all who were written in it before history are saved and the LORD is right on schedule down to the exact number - all His sheep.
That is what sovereignty means. He factors all our failures, blunders errors and sin into His perfect plan. We have faithful churches that grow tremendously and we have dead churches with only a few alive in those churches. We have persecuted churches - take a trip to southern Sudan or any Muslim nation or China, where Christians have to meet in secrecy, in private home groups. They are getting their heads chopped off as we speak.
We have all the types present today. The workers are few and the givers are few - always been that way. We have faithful Christians giving it their all, sacrificing their lives. We have churches that teach false doctrine, materialistic churches .. BUT GOD IS IN CONTROL AND RIGHT ON COURSE. The Gospel has always pushed forward.
His purpose for His Church cannot be thwarted by man or Satan.
"For I am God, and there is no other; I am God, and there is none like me, declaring the end from the beginning and from ancient times things not yet done, saying, ‘My counsel shall stand, and I will accomplish all my purpose,’” (Isaiah 46:9-10, ESV).

Last edited: