7 PAGAN FESTIVALS WE STILL CELEBRATE TODAY ~ under the guise of Christian celebrations and names.

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

BlessedPeace

Aug 22, 2023
Bend
akiane.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If I may address your points…..said by one who seems to have a particular love for these celebrations which did not originate in either Judaism or Christianity…..there is something I believe that you are missing in your justification of them.

All “gods” honored by these celebrations are invented by one entity…the very source of all false worship. Satan does not care what god(s) you worship, as long as it’s not the true God. All worship of false deities goes to the ‘wannabe god’ by default. This is something very serious.

Did you know that Pope Gregory was the one who authorized the Gregorian calendar named after him?
A purported “Christian” leader of the only “Christianity” in existence at the time” (the Roman Catholic church) had the means to change the name of the days of the week and the months of the year but chose to stick with the names of the pagan gods. Do we wonder why that was so? Could it be that these Roman gods were still worshipped but under the guise of a counterfeit kind of “Christianity”?
Isn’t that what Jesus warned would take place…..the ‘weeds sown among the wheat’…..allowed to “grow together” until “the time of the harvest”?

It’s harvest time now, and the separating is taking place as we speak…..how does Jesus know who is promoting the truth and who are promoting lies? He is not fooled by fake “Christianity”…but we might be if we don’t know what we are doing when we adopt these pagan celebrations which were originally designed to honor false gods….all really honoring the devil in disguise. He masquerades as “an angel of light” you know…..a true deceiver.

If we do not have a healthy fear of displeasing the God we purport to love, then we could be induced to serve the devil’s interests under the guise of self interest…..”isn’t it nice for the kiddies?” “We are giving gifts to each other, how could that be bad?”
But analyze what you are really doing….at Christmas, is lying to children really the Christian thing to do?
If presents and Santa Claus are all that a child thinks of at Christmas, then it’s a lie that promotes self-interest. (the devil’s favorite tactic) Then when they are of age and they find out that Santa Claus isn’t real, some children are devastated. They go on then to question, if Santa isn’t real, maybe God isn’t either….

Reading scriptures like 2 Cor 6:14-18, we have no excuse to adopt these pagan celebrations by putting a “Christian” label on them and pretending that we are not in violation of God’s principles stated quite clearly…there can be no mixing of the truth with falsehood.

Sacrifice means giving up something valuable in order to offer it to God. Can people give up what they love to honor the true God? I can’t see that happening any time soon. The commercial system has a boom time with these holidays (holy days). Commercial interests will promote them relentlessly.

God’s worship must be “in spirit and truth”, not contaminated with lies. True Christians have already eliminated pagan based celebrations.…. but the churches will not support that because, even though they know the origin of these events, they will promote them out of self-interest…..the two biggest money spinners for the churches are Christmas and Easter, both pagan to their bootstraps, but out of misplaced guilt many will rock up to church and put money in the coffers in an attempt to bribe God for not attending all year. It makes me smile, but it is actually sadly true.

It seems strange indeed that disrespecting the thread is put before disrespecting God…..he is the one who tells us not to honor other gods, and not to try and fuse pagan beliefs into our worship (like Israel did by adopting Baal worship along with their worship of the true God) but the devil has the world honoring a bunch of false gods…..with all the honor going to himself at the expense of those who think God doesn’t care…..I assure you that he does.
I assure you very obviously know nothing of what I shared.

And because as a professed member of the Jehovah Witnesses, not one of the holidays discussed in this thread pertains to you. Nor is celebrated by those of your temple.

L.A.M.B.

Mar 22, 2022
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If I may address your points…..said by one who seems to have a particular love for these celebrations which did not originate in either Judaism or Christianity…..there is something I believe that you are missing in your justification of them.

All “gods” honored by these celebrations are invented by one entity…the very source of all false worship. Satan does not care what god(s) you worship, as long as it’s not the true God. All worship of false deities goes to the ‘wannabe god’ by default. This is something very serious.

Did you know that Pope Gregory was the one who authorized the Gregorian calendar named after him?
A purported “Christian” leader of the only “Christianity” in existence at the time” (the Roman Catholic church) had the means to change the name of the days of the week and the months of the year but chose to stick with the names of the pagan gods. Do we wonder why that was so? Could it be that these Roman gods were still worshipped but under the guise of a counterfeit kind of “Christianity”?
Isn’t that what Jesus warned would take place…..the ‘weeds sown among the wheat’…..allowed to “grow together” until “the time of the harvest”?

It’s harvest time now, and the separating is taking place as we speak…..how does Jesus know who is promoting the truth and who are promoting lies? He is not fooled by fake “Christianity”…but we might be if we don’t know what we are doing when we adopt these pagan celebrations which were originally designed to honor false gods….all really honoring the devil in disguise. He masquerades as “an angel of light” you know…..a true deceiver.

If we do not have a healthy fear of displeasing the God we purport to love, then we could be induced to serve the devil’s interests under the guise of self interest…..”isn’t it nice for the kiddies?” “We are giving gifts to each other, how could that be bad?”
But analyze what you are really doing….at Christmas, is lying to children really the Christian thing to do?
If presents and Santa Claus are all that a child thinks of at Christmas, then it’s a lie that promotes self-interest. (the devil’s favorite tactic) Then when they are of age and they find out that Santa Claus isn’t real, some children are devastated. They go on then to question, if Santa isn’t real, maybe God isn’t either….

Reading scriptures like 2 Cor 6:14-18, we have no excuse to adopt these pagan celebrations by putting a “Christian” label on them and pretending that we are not in violation of God’s principles stated quite clearly…there can be no mixing of the truth with falsehood.

Sacrifice means giving up something valuable in order to offer it to God. Can people give up what they love to honor the true God? I can’t see that happening any time soon. The commercial system has a boom time with these holidays (holy days). Commercial interests will promote them relentlessly.

God’s worship must be “in spirit and truth”, not contaminated with lies. True Christians have already eliminated pagan based celebrations.…. but the churches will not support that because, even though they know the origin of these events, they will promote them out of self-interest…..the two biggest money spinners for the churches are Christmas and Easter, both pagan to their bootstraps, but out of misplaced guilt many will rock up to church and put money in the coffers in an attempt to bribe God for not attending all year. It makes me smile, but it is actually sadly true.

It seems strange indeed that disrespecting the thread is put before disrespecting God…..he is the one who tells us not to honor other gods, and not to try and fuse pagan beliefs into our worship (like Israel did by adopting Baal worship along with their worship of the true God) but the devil has the world honoring a bunch of false gods…..with all the honor going to himself at the expense of those who think God doesn’t care…..I assure you that he does.
How marvelously written and to the point !

Aunty Jane

Sep 16, 2021
Sydney
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I assure you very obviously know nothing of what I shared.
I know a lot about what you shared because it’s called justification…..the “treacherous and desperate heart“ that resides in all of us is a dangerous thing. (Jer 17:9)

I was raised in Christendom and I celebrated these things from childhood…..when I studied the Bible and I got to research the origins of these celebrations, I was horrified that the churches could blatantly promote them as gospel truth…..they are nothing of the sort.
And because as a professed member of the Jehovah Witnesses, not one of the holidays discussed in this thread pertains to you. Nor is celebrated by those of your temple.
Firstly we have no temple, (confusing us with Mormons no doubt) and secondly it is very apparent that you know nothing about Jehovah’s Witnesses apart from what our opposers tell you and you have swallow everything you are told as if it must be true…..we do not celebrate those holidays because they are not “holy days” to God…..they are pagan “holy days” originally dedicated to false gods who were all of the devil’s making. That is a fact.

It’s your choice to do whatever your heart impels you to do……but please know that excuses and justification hold no credibility with God and when we know the truth, even if we ignore it, we can never plead ignorance.

BlessedPeace

Aug 22, 2023
Bend
akiane.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I know a lot about what you shared because it’s called justification…..the “treacherous and desperate heart“ that resides in all of us is a dangerous thing. (Jer 17:9)

I was raised in Christendom and I celebrated these things from childhood…..when I studied the Bible and I got to research the origins of these celebrations, I was horrified that the churches could blatantly promote them as gospel truth…..they are nothing of the sort.

Firstly we have no temple, (confusing us with Mormons no doubt) and secondly it is very apparent that you know nothing about Jehovah’s Witnesses apart from what our opposers tell you and you have swallow everything you are told as if it must be true…..we do not celebrate those holidays because they are not “holy days” to God…..they are pagan “holy days” originally dedicated to false gods who were all of the devil’s making. That is a fact.

It’s your choice to do whatever your heart impels you to do……but please know that excuses and justification hold no credibility with God and when we know the truth, even if we ignore it, we can never plead ignorance.
As I said,you know nothing.

It's called history.

And you are deeply ignorant of it.

Philip James

May 4, 2018
Brandon
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
ok--i fail to see the significance
Hello Cassandra,

This is the significance:

For to me life is Christ, and death is gain.

If I go on living in the flesh, that means fruitful labor for me. And I do not know which I shall choose.

I am caught between the two. I long to depart this life and be with Christ, (for) that is far better.

Doesn't mean it needs to be celebrated.

Need? Who said anything about need? But what an occasion of joy, the entry of the heroes of our Faith's, our brothers and sisters, into heaven?

Test everything; retain what is good.

Pax et Bonum

BlessedPeace

Aug 22, 2023
Bend
akiane.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hello Cassandra,

This is the significance:

For to me life is Christ, and death is gain.

If I go on living in the flesh, that means fruitful labor for me. And I do not know which I shall choose.

I am caught between the two. I long to depart this life and be with Christ, (for) that is far better.

Need? Who said anything about need? But what an occasion of joy, the entry of the heroes of our Faith's, our brothers and sisters, into heaven?

Test everything; retain what is good.

Pax et Bonum
The thing is, celebrate if you want to.

Let others think there be devils where none are,nor ever were but in their own imagination that thinks Satan is stronger than God.

Reactions: Philip James

Philip James

May 4, 2018
Brandon
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
and when we know the truth, even if we ignore it, we can never plead ignorance.

Hello Aunty Jane,

Indeed.
And the truth is that we no longer honour the no-gods that our distant ancestors did. We worship the True God: Father, Son and Holy Spirit!
To try and insist that we are still pagan because of some calendar day, or some custom that our ancestors used to honour no-gods is just blatantly false.

Capture every thought for Christ!

Pax et Bonum

BlessedPeace

Aug 22, 2023
Bend
akiane.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hello Aunty Jane,

Indeed.
And the truth is that we no longer honour the no-gods that our distant ancestors did. We worship the True God: Father, Son and Holy Spirit!
To try and insist that we are still pagan because of some calendar day, or some custom that our ancestors used to honour no-gods is just blatantly false.

Pax et Bonum
The thing is, AJ being JW does not celebrate anything. Be it birthday or Christmas .

They know nothing of what is discussed here. And celebration for JWs are a non-issue.

Aunty Jane

Sep 16, 2021
Sydney
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
As I said,you know nothing.
How can I know nothing when I researched these things that I once celebrated myself?
It's called history.
LOL...its called justification, much like the kind of thing used to justify a "Christian's" participation in carnal warfare.
You can justify anything your heart desires...you just gotta know where it comes from and who is offended by it.
And you are deeply ignorant of it.
Spoken by one who seems way more deeply ignorant about these things than most......its a test of our loyalty to God...to shun things that the Bible says are spiritually "unclean" in God's sight....do you need a reminder about fusing what is true with what is false...?

2 Cor 6:14-18...
"Do not become unevenly yoked with unbelievers. For what fellowship do righteousness and lawlessness have? Or what sharing does light have with darkness? 15 Further, what harmony is there between Christ and Beʹli·al? Or what does a believer share in common with an unbeliever? 16 And what agreement does God’s temple have with idols? For we are a temple of a living God; just as God said: “I will reside among them and walk among them, and I will be their God, and they will be my people.” 17 “‘Therefore, get out from among them, and separate yourselves,’ says Jehovah, ‘and quit touching the unclean thing’”; “‘and I will take you in.’” 18 “‘And I will become a father to you, and you will become sons and daughters to me,’ says Jehovah, the Almighty.”

Does this leave room for you accommodating old pagan festivals celebrated under new names, fusing the true with the false?

If these things are "unclean" in God's eyes but not in your own, how do you think that will turn out for you?
It makes no difference to me what you decide to do, but you wont be doing it in ignorance....will you?

If this is a test of our loyalty to God's commands, then will you pass it?

BlessedPeace

Aug 22, 2023
Bend
akiane.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
How can I know nothing when I researched these things that I once celebrated myself?
If you worshipped Satan you were blaspheming Christianity.

And know nothing of ancient Paganism,that never knew of a Satan until the church entered their lands.

Yes,it's called Justification. And try as you may,you can justify your bad behavior in the past by thinking that attached to ancient people's.

It isn't true,but you can certainly insist upon it as you wish.

LOL...its called justification, much like the kind of thing used to justify a "Christian's" participation in carnal warfare.
You can justify anything your heart desires...you just gotta know where it comes from and who is offended by it.

Spoken by one who seems way more deeply ignorant about these things than most......its a test of our loyalty to God...to shun things that the Bible says are spiritually "unclean" in God's sight....do you need a reminder about fusing what is true with what is false...?

2 Cor 6:14-18...
"Do not become unevenly yoked with unbelievers. For what fellowship do righteousness and lawlessness have? Or what sharing does light have with darkness? 15 Further, what harmony is there between Christ and Beʹli·al? Or what does a believer share in common with an unbeliever? 16 And what agreement does God’s temple have with idols? For we are a temple of a living God; just as God said: “I will reside among them and walk among them, and I will be their God, and they will be my people.” 17 “‘Therefore, get out from among them, and separate yourselves,’ says Jehovah, ‘and quit touching the unclean thing’”; “‘and I will take you in.’” 18 “‘And I will become a father to you, and you will become sons and daughters to me,’ says Jehovah, the Almighty.”

Does this leave room for you accommodating old pagan festivals celebrated under new names, fusing the true with the false?

If these things are "unclean" in God's eyes but not in your own, how do you think that will turn out for you?
It makes no difference to me what you decide to do, but you wont be doing it in ignorance....will you?

If this is a test of our loyalty to God's commands, then will you pass it?

As I said,you know nothing of the history of ancient Pagan people. Nor the contemporary ones.

Today's Satanists for the most part are Hedonists who don't actually worship the Christians Satan . They're atheists. They just like to invoke the Satanic label to upset what they refer to as the, white lighters.

There are a very few Theistic Satanists.They think Satan is real. I known of one openly public group who were also neo-Nazis. I think they disbanded after their founder died.

Don't paint everyone with the brush of your past.

Aunty Jane

Sep 16, 2021
Sydney
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Hello Aunty Jane,

Indeed.
Phillip, have you never wondered why every celebration in Christendom is a pagan celebration of some sort, disguised and renamed as a "Christian" event?

There are 365 days in a year so lots to choose from....why couldn't the church invent its own celebrations? Why rename something abhorrent to God and celebrate it as if he was not there to observe the originals...?

And were they ever commanded to commemorate anything except Christ;s sacrificial death? (1 Cor 11:23-26)
The Israelites were commanded to celebrate three time a year? Do you know why the Christians were never commanded to hold the Jewish festivals?

According to Leviticus 23:2....
“The seasonal festivals of Jehovah that you should proclaim are holy conventions.”

When Jehovah organized his people into a nation back in the year 1513 B.C.E., he gave them many festivals. They are listed in Leviticus ch 23......Every seventh day was a sabbath, a day of complete rest, “a holy convention.” The Passover was celebrated on Nisan 14, followed by the festival of unfermented cakes, which lasted seven days. Fifty days from Nisan 16, when the firstfruits of the barley harvest were offered, was the feast of weeks, also known as Pentecost. On the first day of the seventh month was the festival of trumpets, and on the tenth day the people celebrated the great day of atonement.
This cycle of festivals was concluded with the most joyous one of all, the festival of booths, which was kept from the fifteenth to the twenty-first of the same month, with a final holy convention on the twenty-second. In the course of time additional festivals were added, such as the monthly new moon, the festival of Purim and the festival of Dedication, thus making more days for special observance in worship to Jehovah. (Numbers 10:10)

This cycle of festivals was concluded with the most joyous one of all, the festival of booths, which was kept from the fifteenth to the twenty-first of the same month, with a final holy convention on the twenty-second. In the course of time additional festivals were added, such as the monthly new moon, the festival of Purim and the festival of Dedication, making more days for special observance in worship to Jehovah. (Numbers 10:10) These festivals not only were occasions of joy and physical rest, but were primarily occasions of religious and spiritual upbuilding.....so why wouldn't "the Church" have chosen some of these God sanctioned ones instead of the renamed pagan events? Can you tell me?

I have....have you?

BlessedPeace

Aug 22, 2023
Bend
akiane.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Britannica...

...The English word Easter, which parallels the German word Ostern, is of uncertain origin. One view, expounded by the Venerable Bede in the 8th century, was that it derived from Eostre, or Eostrae, the Anglo-Saxon goddess of spring and fertility. This view presumes—as does the view associating the origin of Christmas on December 25 with pagan celebrations of the winter solstice—that Christians appropriated pagan names and holidays for their highest festivals. Given the determination with which Christians combated all forms of paganism (the belief in multiple deities), this appears a rather dubious presumption. There is now widespread consensus that the word derives from the Christian designation of Easter week as in albis, a Latin phrase that was understood as the plural of alba (“dawn”) and became eostarum in Old High German, the precursor of the modern German and English term. The Latin and Greek Pascha (“Passover”) provides the root for Pâques, the French word for Easter.

More @ Easter - Lent, Holy Week, Resurrection

Philip James

May 4, 2018
Brandon
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Phillip, have you never wondered why every celebration in Christendom is a pagan celebration of some sort, disguised and renamed as a "Christian" event?

And here you make the asinine accusation again.. There is nothing 'disguised'. no-gods are no longer worshiped in Christendom. Period!

Pax et Bonum

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
www.CheeseburgersWithGod.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Would you dress up in drag to witness to drag queens about Jesus .
Would you walk around kissing a man and holding hands with said man to witness to gays about JESUS
Would you punch out old ladies and men to witness to those with anger issues who did such things
about JESUS .
THEN WHY THE HECK would we particpate in that which honors satan , paganism , TO WITNESS about JESUS .
WHY would we dress up on helloween to witness to the lost .
WHY would we blend the pagan into that which is holy and then use the excuse it can help win souls .
WOULD you stand up in church and to make a liar feel comfortable tell lies
Would you to win a pedophile to Christ , start rubbing on children and say things like We welcome all .
SOMETHING has went DEAD WRONG in todays evangelism . The RCC is satans child
but its not his only child .
WOULD you hold up signs of murdered people and say We welcome all murderes here .
SO why does the church hold up rainbow banners under the guise of tolerance .
WOULD YOU , would you organize a team of leaders
to get up and put pictures of naked children in order to make pedophiles feel love and accepted in your church .
I PRAY TO GOD folks wake the heckup and fast and realize SEEKER FRIENDLY which led to all incluisve
IS NOT LOVE , NOR OF GOD but IS OF THE DEVIL

Would God lower himself and come as a mere man, and dine with sinners and tax collectors?

Heaven forbid!

The wheat are wheat and the tares are tares. Even so, it is not in the heart of the children of God to do evil. God knows.

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Would God lower himself and come as a mere man, and dine with sinners and tax collectors?

Heaven forbid!

The wheat are wheat and the tares are tares. Even so, it is not in the heart of the children of God to do evil. God knows.
Ye know not what spirit ye speak of . So the question you should be asked is this.
WHILE WE KNOW JESUS dined with sinners,
DO YA THINK HE WOULDhave dressedup in drag to witness to drag queens .
DO YA THINK SO .
NOR SHOULD WE have in part of evil to witness to folks in sin .
AND if you , for one second THINK JESUS WOULD have dressedup on helloween
YOU DONT KNOW JESUS dude . THE CHURCHES SOLD you all out to a lie .
Try and remember what paul said
TO those without the law , as being without the law , BUT NOT WITHOUT law of CHRIST .
PUAL DIDNT SIT around and behave in a sin manner to win those in sin . WE DONT DO THAT SCOTTY .
And paul , JESUS and others when witnessing to the lost , CORRECTED SIN and ERROR .
OOPS . WE BEEN DUPED scotty . Seeker friendly IS OF THE DEVIL INCARNATE HIMSELF
as is this all inclusie new way to evangelize . OF THE DEVIL . OH YES THE DEVIL .
and the churches have bought it . sad days indeed .

Reactions: Marvelloustime