A Blood-Soaked Path Through History

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phoneman777

Jan 14, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Didn't Calvin had a heretic executed?

Going over your verse in your signature, but in context to make sure you are reading it in the spirit of the message;

1 John 2:4 He that saith, I know him, and keepeth not his commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him. 5 But whoso keepeth his word, in him verily is the love of God perfected: hereby know we that we are in him. 6 He that saith he abideth in him ought himself also so to walk, even as he walked.

The Book of 1 John was about the apostle John addressing those believers that had thought sin was no longer sin to them and that they can walk in darkness because they are His and thus saved, regardless. John was exposing those who teach such things as liars and hardly abiding in Him at all. John was not exposing them as unsaved nonbelievers in their midst, but as not abiding in Him for those that claim to know Him.

I believe the church at Thyatira in the Book of Revelation epitomizes the spirit of the Catholic Church as they sacrifice to devils in their Mass as per 1 Corinthians 10:14-22 and they are in trouble for treating the blood of the New Covenant on part with the blood of goats and bulls in thinking they need to receive that one time sacrifice for sins again each time it is made "present" during the Mass as pr Hebrews 10th chapter warnings.

They are the ones that teach Catholic to see spiritual gifts from the Holy Ghost; hence asking the Holy Ghost directly for those gifts; wrong way. There is a report that in the early history of the Catholic Church, they took tongues as a sign that they were keeping the doctrines within which goes against what tongues were to serve as a signs towards which is the unbelievers; 1 Corinthians 14:22

So in actuality, the Pentecostal/Charismatic Churches had their origins in the Catholic Church whose errant doctrines' origins epitomizes Thyatira.

Any saved believer in iniquity is in effect by that iniquity, denying Him ( Titus 1:15-16 ) which in turn He will deny them ( 2 Timothy 2:12 ) but even if they do not believe in Him any more, He is faithful for He still abides ( 2 Timothy 2:13 & 2 Timothy 2:18-21 ) but are at risk of being left behind as vessels unto dishonors to be received later on after the great tribulation, but they are still in His House for He will lose none ( John 6:38-40 )

So that warning to the church at Thyatira is for the Catholic/Pentecostal & Charismatic Churches and any other church or believer that has any of those doctrines in thinking Christ Presence is outside of them in visitations with signs & lying wonders or in the idol of the bread & the wine where they are eating and drinking in His Presence ( Luke 13:24-30 ) as the evidence will be where believers lose self control and fall down as in Matthew 7:21-27 which is Matthew's version of the same event of Luke 13:24-30 when God will judge His House first & excommunicate those not abiding in Him.

So do consider the reality of the power of God in salvation because if a Catholic believes in the Lord Jesus Christ and that God raised Him from the dead, they are saved, even if by their doctrines, they believe they are not saved yet and laboring in unbelief in the works of catholicism in coming short of that rest in Jesus Christ.

Do note that 2 Thessalonians 3:1-7 and 2 Thessalonians 3:14-15 testified that evil, wicked, and unreasonable men that have not faith that do not walk after the traditions that was taught of us as in the N.T. are still brothers as we are to withdraw from fellowship to admonish them as brothers.

So we are to pray for our brethren in that the Lord will raise up workers for the harvests in the hopes that God may be peradventuring to recover some from the snares of the devil. We certainly cannot convince them by arguing about it. So let God cause the increase by praying for them.
Never heard of Calvin being involved with anything like that. I'm not so much interested in arguing with Catholic apologists who will not be convinced against the lies of the Papacy as much as I am "contending for the faith once delivered to the saints" for the benefit of those who may have only heard one side of the story.

It fully agree that the Church of Thyatira refers exactly to the Papacy. The worsening condition of the church chronicled by the first 3 churches culminates with the wholesale apostasy that is seen in the fourth church - which is textbook Historicist interpretation of prophecy. Unfortunately, so many today have been infected with the virus of Jesuit Futurism that trying to convince them that eschatology was once universally understood by non-Catholics to point to the Papacy as Antichrist is as nearly as impossible as trying to convince Paul that Jesus Christ was the Messiah.

Phoneman777

Jan 14, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What errors? The teachings you so ignorantly misrepresent?
No, things like "there is no salvation outside of Mother Church" and that Protestants may be saved in their respective churches so long as they acknowledge the supremacy of the Bishop of Rome. THAT kind of error.

Reactions: brakelite

Phoneman777

Jan 14, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If you were not such a coward, you would name a least one "priestly lie" and it can be discussed rationally and calmly. But you are not capable. You can only post flaming zingers.

I can document every single teaching of the Church, and they are all available to the public while you keep your teachings, and the name of your cult shrouded in mystery. It's not me who is deceptive. Your cult doesn't even have its own web page.
Oh, c'mom, K, how many times do we have to keep posting the same examples of RCC satanic doctrine? For instance, the "Dignities and Duties of the Priest" handbook for priests claims that when the priest utters in Latin "this is my body, this is my blood" during the fantasy "transubstantiation" part of the Eucharist, he becomes "the creator of his Creator". You are free to believe that if you want, but please don't come in here acting as if we Protestants don't have any Catholic blasphemies against which to protest.

Phoneman777

Jan 14, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Then, please enlighten me.

Show me the actual quote of Pope Francis stating that having a relationship with Jesus Christ is "dangerous".
If you can't - then you've just been exposed again for lying . . .
How about I let Jorge say it himself?

Phoneman777

Jan 14, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Please show me where the Catholic Church teaches that salvation is ONLY found in the Roman Rite. You might also wan to show evidence fore a "Roman Catholic Church."
While you're at it - show me where God says that we are to enter into a "saving relationship" with Jesus.

Your moronic posts are extremely easy to expose because you don't do your homework before opening your mouth . . .
You are as stubborn as Dr. Sweitzer's detractors after she'd successfully extracted heme protein from supposed "80 million" year old dino bones - impossible if the bones were that old, but very much possible if the 6,000 year old Bible chronology is correct. When asked how much evidence would be enough to convince them that macro evolution was false, they said "there will never be enough evidence". Incidentally, the RCC has always maintained that Darwin's theory is correct, that first 11 chapters of Genesis are "allegorical", and that Protestantism is a "19th century heresy" - interesting bc it was in the 19th century that a major Protestantism movement the RCC has identified as the proverbial last days "problem child" arose and began turning the minds of Christians away from Darwinism and toward Creation week.

Last edited:

JesusIsFaithful

Feb 24, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Never heard of Calvin being involved with anything like that.

Michael Servetus was the noted heretic that was burned at the stake per approval by John Calvin. Not that Michael Servetus was any better when he believed that heretics should be executed as well. You can do a search on the internet on these two men in relations to each other. Some sites sharing this information are not in line with what I believe in christian teachings, and so I am reluctant to share links to verify this information in this forum.

I'm not so much interested in arguing with Catholic apologists who will not be convinced against the lies of the Papacy as much as I am "contending for the faith once delivered to the saints" for the benefit of those who may have only heard one side of the story.

I know full well that the Catholic Catechism is NOT contending for the faith in Jesus Christ but rather for themselves as the means for salvation, but my believing scripture that the condition for being saved as promised is that those who believe in the Lord Jesus Christ and that God raised Him from the dead are saved is not making me a Catholic Apologist. By His grace & by His help, I am contending for the faith which Catholics disagree with for what was promised for believing In Him and that God raised Him from the dead.

They are at risk of being left behind as you did agree below the consequences for those believers at the church at Thyatira in the Book of Revelation would also be applicable to the Catholics, but you are overlooking that it also applies to Pentecostals & Charismatics as well in committing spiritual fornication from which they gained tongues for private use as "uttering the depths of Satan from which they speak" as gained by believing they can receive the Holy Spirit "again" if not for the first time apart from salvation by that sign of tongues which never comes with interpretation.

Catholics teaches believers to seek gifts directly from the Holy Spirit in prayer and that is why their tongues are coming with no interpretation as the early part of Catholic history has them reporting that because they are still speaking in tongues, it was a "sign" that they were keeping the doctrines within and yet tongues were never to serve as a sign TOWARDS the believers for anything. 1 Corinthians 14:22

The real God's gift of tongues is of other men's lips to speak unto the people ( 1 Corinthians 14:20-21 ) and will not imitate the supernatural tongue as found in the world before Pentecost which is gibberish that cannot be interpreted at all ( Isaiah 8:19 ) Gifts are not gained by seeking to receive the Holy spirit apart from salvation if we are all to maintain this testimony to be equal in the eyes of everyone ( 1 Corinthians 12:13 ) and to avoid this prophesy of what is happening in the churches today ( 1 Timothy 4:1-2 & 2 Corinthians 11:3-4 )

It fully agree that the Church of Thyatira refers exactly to the Papacy. The worsening condition of the church chronicled by the first 3 churches culminates with the wholesale apostasy that is seen in the fourth church - which is textbook Historicist interpretation of prophecy. Unfortunately, so many today have been infected with the virus of Jesuit Futurism that trying to convince them that eschatology was once universally understood by non-Catholics to point to the Papacy as Antichrist is as nearly as impossible as trying to convince Paul that Jesus Christ was the Messiah.

It would be giving the Catholic too much credit for all the corruptions in the churches today when the Book of Revelation pretty much exposed that the Catholic Church got corrupted by the church in Paul's days in 2 Thessalonians 2:1-15 when Paul reported that the iniquity was already at work and reminded believers of the traditions taught of us and that is we had received the sanctification of the Spirit & the belief of the truth at the calling of the Gospel ( 2 Thessalonians 2:13-15 ); and no other time so we can test the spirits in 1 John 4:1-4 by whenever another spirit comes over us as apart from salvation, we would know that was not the real indwelling Holy Spirit as received at our salvation ( John 14:16-17 ) and nether would we speak the supernatural tongue as the world speaks in that same kind of tongue as gibberish ( 1 John 4:5-6 ) .

Granted that in a short while, the Catholic Church eventually became the corrupting influence down through the history of the church as all roads led to Rome gives that Church at Rime her boasting power of influence, but scripture does points to the church at Thessalonians as evidence of this iniquity being present in Paul's days that it later influenced what became the Catholic Church as prophesied of the church at Thyatira for in the latter days.

I am sure the influence of the Eucharist & the Mass can be trace to even in Paul's letters to the believing brethren in the Book of Hebrews for believing that they need to receive Christ's one time sacrifice for sins again thus making the blood of the New Covenant on par with the blood of goats and bulls & even in the Corinthians when Paul was rebuking any one for taking communion for more than in remembrance of Him by making the bread & the wine idols as if Christ's Presence was in them to be received again which 2 Corinthians 11:3-4 also reproves such teachings.

In any event, the reproved errors by the N.T. has cropped up and became the Catholic Church today that influenced other churches even moreso now.

I would have to say the Vatican is "mystery Babylon" in Revelation as its geography does place it on seven hills, if I recall correctly, but other references to Babylon in Revelation is USA as a nation that is of "We the People" for why the original Babylon had to be dispersed by confounding the singular language into many, and it is the center of trade in the world.

I would not doubt that the reason His words had called it "mystery Babylon" is because of the supernatural tongue that comes with no interpretation as gained by receiving what believers assume was the Holy Spirit coming over them apart from salvation that is infiltrating almost all the churches and not just the Catholics. Albeit, they do not promote it as Pentecostals and Charismatics do, but there is a Catholic teaching about seeking to receive gifts of the Holy Spirit FROM the Holy Spirit Himself and thus misleading them to ask for those gifts from the Holy Spirit Himself, but He cannot answers prayers; as it is to the will of the Father that Jesus answers the prayer ( John 14:13-14 ) and the Holy Spirit would give that glory to Jesus ( John 16:13-15 )

So any one not honoring the Son like the Spirit & scripture is leading them to do, they are not honoring the Father and are in iniquity, unless they repent ( John 5:22-23 ) as the only way to come to God the Father in worship is by way of the Son in honoring & glorifying Him ( John 14:6 & John 13:31-32 & Philippians 2:5-13 )

So.. yeah.. a lot of churches and believers are in trouble in these latter days where faith is hard to find and many are not keeping the traditions as taught of us to hold fast to them which is done by His grace & by His help in proving all things to abstain from all appearances of evil as well as praying for other brethren that God may be ministering to them to help them to see as well as depart from iniquity. 1 Thessalonians 5:21-25 & 2 Timothy 2:24-26 since only He alone can cause the increase 1 Corinthians 3:5-7

epostle1

Sep 24, 2012
Essex
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
No, things like "there is no salvation outside of Mother Church" and that Protestants may be saved in their respective churches so long as they acknowledge the supremacy of the Bishop of Rome. THAT kind of error.
That kind of error is an anti-Catholic invention and not what the Church teaches. I've posted actual teaching at least twice (post #100, 111) but your irrational anger and hostility has you blinded, which makes any discussion with you pointless. You can't stop with your stupid flaming zingers. You have been flooding this thread with hostile post after hostile post and I didn't have time to expose "Fox's Book of Martyrs" deemed unreliable by real historians. It's as phony as...

OK, so you want to talk about the Eucharist? Stop with your stupid flaming zingers, it's a tactic you use whenever you are confronted with the truth. And what is the point when you ignore all my posts?

Would you like to start at the 1st century beliefs or are they too Catholic for you? Or how about the 15th century when the first time the teaching was opposed? A bit late in history don't you think? (which is why you are forced to tear down so it matches what you don't have) How about we start with John 6?

You don't believe what has been taught by Jesus and the Apostles about the Eucharist because you haven't enough faith. I will give you some links that you won't read because you just want to fight, argue and hurl flaming zingers so their is little point in discussing the Eucharist with you.

https://www.scripturecatholic.com/the-eucharist/

http://www.vatican.va/archive/ccc_css/archive/catechism/p2s2c1a3.htm

Christ in the Eucharist | Catholic Answers

Protestant attacks on the Catholic Church often focus on the Eucharist. This demonstrates that opponents of the Church—mainly Evangelicals and Fundamentalists—recognize one of Catholicism’s core doctrines. What’s more, the attacks show that Fundamentalists are not always literalists. This is seen in their interpretation of the key biblical passage, chapter six of John’s Gospel, in which Christ speaks about the sacrament that will be instituted at the Last Supper. This tract examines the last half of that chapter.

John 6:30 begins a colloquy that took place in the synagogue at Capernaum. The Jews asked Jesus what sign he could perform so that they might believe in him. As a challenge, they noted that "our ancestors ate manna in the desert." Could Jesus top that? He told them the real bread from heaven comes from the Father. "Give us this bread always," they said. Jesus replied, "I am the bread of life; whoever comes to me will never hunger, and whoever believes in me will never thirst." At this point the Jews understood him to be speaking metaphorically.

Again and Again

Jesus first repeated what he said, then summarized: "‘I am the living bread which came down from heaven; if any one eats of this bread, he will live for ever; and the bread which I shall give for the life of the world is my flesh.’ The Jews then disputed among themselves, saying, ‘How can this man give us his flesh to eat?’" (John 6:51–52).

His listeners were stupefied because now they understood Jesus literally—and correctly. He again repeated his words, but with even greater emphasis, and introduced the statement about drinking his blood: "Truly, truly, I say to you, unless you eat the flesh of the Son of man and drink his blood, you have no life in you; he who eats my flesh and drinks my blood has eternal life, and I will raise him up at the last day. For my flesh is food indeed, and my blood is drink indeed. He who eats my flesh and drinks my blood abides in me, and I in him" (John 6:53–56).

No Corrections

Notice that Jesus made no attempt to soften what he said, no attempt to correct "misunderstandings," for there were none. Our Lord’s listeners understood him perfectly well. They no longer thought he was speaking metaphorically. If they had, if they mistook what he said, why no correction?

On other occasions when there was confusion, Christ explained just what he meant (cf. Matt. 16:5–12). Here, where any misunderstanding would be fatal, there was no effort by Jesus to correct. Instead, he repeated himself for greater emphasis.

In John 6:60 we read: "Many of his disciples, when they heard it, said, ‘This is a hard saying; who can listen to it?’" These were his disciples, people used to his remarkable ways. He warned them not to think carnally, but spiritually: "It is the Spirit that gives life, the flesh is of no avail; the words that I have spoken to you are spirit and life" (John 6:63; cf. 1 Cor. 2:12–14).

But he knew some did not believe. (It is here, in the rejection of the Eucharist, that Judas fell away; look at John 6:64.) "After this, many of his disciples drew back and no longer went about with him" (John 6:66).

This is the only record we have of any of Christ’s followers forsaking him for purely doctrinal reasons. If it had all been a misunderstanding, if they erred in taking a metaphor in a literal sense, why didn’t he call them back and straighten things out? Both the Jews, who were suspicious of him, and his disciples, who had accepted everything up to this point, would have remained with him had he said he was speaking only symbolically.

But he did not correct these protesters. Twelve times he said he was the bread that came down from heaven; four times he said they would have "to eat my flesh and drink my blood." John 6 was an extended promise of what would be instituted at the Last Supper—and it was a promise that could not be more explicit. Or so it would seem to a Catholic. But what do Fundamentalists say?

Merely Figurative?

They say that in John 6 Jesus was not talking about physical ood and drink, but about spiritual food and drink. They quote John 6:35: "Jesus said to them, ‘I am the bread of life; he who comes to me shall not hunger, and he who believes in me shall never thirst.’" They claim that coming to him is bread, having faith in him is drink. Thus, eating his flesh and blood merely means believing in Christ.

But there is a problem with that interpretation. As Fr. John A. O’Brien explains, "The phrase ‘to eat the flesh and drink the blood,’ when used figuratively among the Jews, as among the Arabs of today, meant to inflict upon a person some serious injury, especially by calumny or by false accusation. To interpret the phrase figuratively then would be to make our Lord promise life everlasting to the culprit for slandering and hating him, which would reduce the whole passage to utter nonsense" (O’Brien, The Faith of Millions, 215). For an example of this use, see Micah 3:3.

Fundamentalist writers who comment on John 6 also assert that one can show Christ was speaking only metaphorically by comparing verses like John 10:9 ("I am the door") and John 15:1 ("I am the true vine"). The problem is that there is not a connection to John 6:35, "I am the bread of life." "I am the door" and "I am the vine" make sense as metaphors because Christ is like a door—we go to heaven through him—and he is also like a vine—we get our spiritual sap through him. But Christ takes John 6:35 far beyond symbolism by saying, "For my flesh is food indeed, and my blood is drink indeed" (John 6:55).

He continues: "As the living Father sent me, and I live because of the Father, so he who eats me will live because of me" (John 6:57). The Greek word used for "eats" (trogon) is very blunt and has the sense of "chewing" or "gnawing." This is not the language of metaphor.

Their Main Argument

For Fundamentalist writers, the scriptural argument is capped by an appeal to John 6:63: "It is the spirit that gives life, the flesh is of no avail; the words that I have spoken to you are spirit and life." They say this means that eating real flesh is a waste. But does this make sense?

Are we to understand that Christ had just commanded his disciples to eat his flesh, then said their doing so would be pointless? Is that what "the flesh is of no avail" means? "Eat my flesh, but you’ll find it’s a waste of time"—is that what he was saying? Hardly.

Last edited by a moderator:

epostle1

Sep 24, 2012
Essex
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
The fact is that Christ’s flesh avails much! If it were of no avail, then the Son of God incarnated for no reason, he died for no reason, and he rose from the dead for no reason. Christ’s flesh profits us more than anyone else’s in the world. If it profits us nothing, so that the incarnation, death, and resurrection of Christ are of no avail, then "your faith is futile and you are still in your sins. Then those also who have fallen asleep in Christ have perished" (1 Cor. 15:17b–18).

In John 6:63 "flesh profits nothing" refers to mankind’s inclination to think using only what their natural human reason would tell them rather than what God would tell them. Thus in John 8:15–16 Jesus tells his opponents: "You judge according to the flesh, I judge no one. Yet even if I do judge, my judgment is true, for it is not I alone that judge, but I and he who sent me." So natural human judgment, unaided by God’s grace, is unreliable; but God’s judgment is always true.

And were the disciples to understand the line "The words I have spoken to you are spirit and life" as nothing but a circumlocution (and a very clumsy one at that) for "symbolic"? No one can come up with such interpretations unless he first holds to the Fundamentalist position and thinks it necessary to find a rationale, no matter how forced, for evading the Catholic interpretation. In John 6:63 "flesh" does not refer to Christ’s own flesh—the context makes this clear—but to mankind’s inclination to think on a natural, human level. "The words I have spoken to you are spirit" does not mean "What I have just said is symbolic." The word "spirit" is never used that way in the Bible. The line means that what Christ has said will be understood only through faith; only by the power of the Spirit and the drawing of the Father (cf. John 6:37, 44–45, 65).

Paul Confirms This

Paul wrote to the Corinthians: "The cup of blessing which we bless, is it not a participation in the blood of Christ? The bread which we break, is it not a participation in the body of Christ?" (1 Cor. 10:16). So when we receive Communion, we actually participate in the body and blood of Christ, not just eat symbols of them. Paul also said, "Therefore whoever eats the bread and drinks the cup of the Lord unworthily will have to answer for the body and blood of the Lord. . . . For any one who eats and drinks without discerning the body, eats and drinks judgment on himself" (1 Cor. 11:27, 29). "To answer for the body and blood" of someone meant to be guilty of a crime as serious as homicide. How could eating mere bread and wine "unworthily" be so serious? Paul’s comment makes sense only if the bread and wine became the real body and blood of Christ.

What Did the First Christians Say?

nti-Catholics also claim the early Church took this chapter symbolically. Is that so? Let’s see what some early Christians thought, keeping in mind that we can learn much about how Scripture should be interpreted by examining the writings of early Christians.

Ignatius of Antioch, who had been a disciple of the apostle John and who wrote a letter to the Smyrnaeans about A.D. 110, said, referring to "those who hold heterodox opinions," that "they abstain from the Eucharist and from prayer, because they do not confess that the Eucharist is the flesh of our Savior Jesus Christ, flesh which suffered for our sins and which the Father, in his goodness, raised up again" (6:2, 7:1).

Forty years later, Justin Martyr, wrote, "Not as common bread or common drink do we receive these; but since Jesus Christ our Savior was made incarnate by the word of God and had both flesh and blood for our salvation, so too, as we have been taught, the food which has been made into the Eucharist by the Eucharistic prayer set down by him, and by the change of which our blood and flesh is nourished, . . . is both the flesh and the blood of that incarnated Jesus" (First Apology 66:1–20).

Origen, in a homily written about A.D. 244, attested to belief in the Real Presence. "I wish to admonish you with examples from your religion. You are accustomed to take part in the divine mysteries, so you know how, when you have received the Body of the Lord, you reverently exercise every care lest a particle of it fall and lest anything of the consecrated gift perish. You account yourselves guilty, and rightly do you so believe, if any of it be lost through negligence" (Homilies on Exodus 13:3).

Cyril of Jerusalem, in a catechetical lecture presented in the mid-300s, said, "Do not, therefore, regard the bread and wine as simply that, for they are, according to the Master’s declaration, the body and blood of Christ. Even though the senses suggest to you the other, let faith make you firm. Do not judge in this matter by taste, but be fully assured by faith, not doubting that you have been deemed worthy
of the body and blood of Christ" (Catechetical Discourses: Mystagogic 4:22:9).

In a fifth-century homily, Theodore of Mopsuestia seemed to be speaking to today’s Evangelicals and Fundamentalists: "When [Christ] gave the bread he did not say, ‘This is the symbol of my body,’ but, ‘This is my body.’ In the same way, when he gave the cup of his blood he did not say, ‘This is the symbol of my blood,’ but, ‘This is my blood,’ for he wanted us to look upon the [Eucharistic elements], after their reception of grace and the coming of the Holy Spirit, not according to their nature, but to receive them as they are, the body and blood of our Lord" (Catechetical Homilies 5:1).

Unanimous Testimony

Whatever else might be said, the early Church took John 6 literally. In fact, there is no record from the early centuries that implies Christians doubted the constant Catholic interpretation. There exists no document in which the literal interpretation is opposed and only the metaphorical accepted.

Why do Fundamentalists and Evangelicals reject the plain, literal interpretation of John 6? For them, Catholic sacraments are out because they imply a spiritual reality—grace—being conveyed by means of matter. This seems to them to be a violation of the divine plan. For many Protestants, matter is not to be used, but overcome or avoided.

One suspects, had they been asked by the Creator their opinion of how to bring about mankind’s salvation, Fundamentalists would have advised him to adopt a different approach. How much cleaner things would be if spirit never dirtied itself with matter! But God approves of matter—he approves of it because he created it—and he approves of it so much that he comes to us under the appearances of bread and wine, just as he does in the physical form of the Incarnate Christ.

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
@kepha31

You confuse me in switching back and forth with your two accounts.

Now I'd like to see you have both accounts going...argue....but I think Kepha31 will win over @epostle1 :D :D :D

Be DOUBLY blessed. :)

epostle1

Sep 24, 2012
Essex
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
phony man, the Incarnation is not a satanic teaching. If you are going to attack, then attack what we really believe, not your phony inventions. There is not a single real Protestant historian, Protestant bible college or Protestant theologian in the last 50 years that agrees with your hate, lies and false histories. That's why you refuse to produce ONE. The only explanation for your anti-Catholic obsession is that you are in a fundie cult where you get heavily indoctrinated.

epostle1

Sep 24, 2012
Essex
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
You get taken by a media headline that is a lie, because you love lies.

Here's a quote:

Pope Francis described as dangerous the temptation to believe that one can have a personal, direct, immediate relationship with Jesus Christ without communion with and the mediation of the Church.

Even anti-Catholics are in varying degrees of separation from the Church, and are still in the Church, they are too hostile to realize the Church hasn't separated from anyone so they demonize her.

In other words, as Christians our relationship with Christ, puts us into a relationship with the entire Body of Christ.

St. Paul talked about this in detail in Ephesians 3, being saved by grace through faith, we become part of the Body and are In Christ. In Corinthians he uses stronger language, saying the eye cannot say to the foot I don't need you. (1 Corinthians 12:21)

The Evangelical notion of being a Christian reduces it to me, Jesus, and my Bible and while we can not judge the ultimate salvation of any man, this notion is heresy. Certainly a personal relationship with Christ is necessary but, by definition, a relationship with Christ is a relationship with His Body, the Church.

Jesus taught us to pray,
OUR Father . . . not My Father, so look at the first word. Our — that is a personal plural possessive Pronoun. By saying My Father, you are using only a personal and possessive pronoun but by virtue of being Our Father it implies a relationship with the rest of the Christians on the Earth.

So that is what the Pope meant in context. No one on his own can take the Bible and discern doctrine, claiming to be lead by the Holy Spirit alone. On the contrary, this leads to massive confusion and about 40,000 different denominations at last count. All of them claim to be Bible-believing . . . the Bible being their only authority but they can't agree on much.

Jesus established a Church. He gave that Church teaching authority, by which we know what books belong in the Bible to begin with and through the Church, Christ gave us the sacraments which are His Divine Works, where He is present and we encounter Him in a True and Objective way.

Now, I have a lot respect for our Evangelical brothers and perhaps as Catholics we ought to stress a personal relationship differently. We tend to use sacramental language, which sadly a lot of Catholics don't even understand.

I'm not saying, nor was the Pope saying that these folks are damned but this notion leads to all kinds of heresy . . . all kinds of divisions . . . and worst of all, it keeps people from being part of the One Church Christ established.

Even using the Bible alone, the Bible teaches being part of a Christian Community. The author of Hebrews tells us to not neglect the assembly of the saints (believers). (Hebrews 10:23-25) Meaning Christianity is not a me-and-Jesus-alone religion or faith. It is a family faith — the family being the Body of Christ.

Does phony man's video have context? No. The Body of Christ is not a satanic teaching, phony man.

Why did the Pope said it is dangerous to have a personal relationship with Jesus?

epostle1

Sep 24, 2012
Essex
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Phony man makes a challenge about the Eucharist then hides behind a phony video. He is not capable of discussion.

"Incidentally, the RCC has always maintained that Darwin's theory is correct" is another one of phony mans lies. Notice he can't stay on any one topic without throwing in a flaming zinger.

epostle1

Sep 24, 2012
Essex
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I love the "ignore" feature on this forum.
Point taken.
phony man
image.jpg

Reactions: Truth7t7

Truth7t7

Jan 2, 2014
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The fact is that Christ’s flesh avails much! If it were of no avail, then the Son of God incarnated for no reason, he died for no reason, and he rose from the dead for no reason. Christ’s flesh profits us more than anyone else’s in the world. If it profits us nothing, so that the incarnation, death, and resurrection of Christ are of no avail, then "your faith is futile and you are still in your sins. Then those also who have fallen asleep in Christ have perished" (1 Cor. 15:17b–18).

In John 6:63 "flesh profits nothing" refers to mankind’s inclination to think using only what their natural human reason would tell them rather than what God would tell them. Thus in John 8:15–16 Jesus tells his opponents: "You judge according to the flesh, I judge no one. Yet even if I do judge, my judgment is true, for it is not I alone that judge, but I and he who sent me." So natural human judgment, unaided by God’s grace, is unreliable; but God’s judgment is always true.

And were the disciples to understand the line "The words I have spoken to you are spirit and life" as nothing but a circumlocution (and a very clumsy one at that) for "symbolic"? No one can come up with such interpretations unless he first holds to the Fundamentalist position and thinks it necessary to find a rationale, no matter how forced, for evading the Catholic interpretation. In John 6:63 "flesh" does not refer to Christ’s own flesh—the context makes this clear—but to mankind’s inclination to think on a natural, human level. "The words I have spoken to you are spirit" does not mean "What I have just said is symbolic." The word "spirit" is never used that way in the Bible. The line means that what Christ has said will be understood only through faith; only by the power of the Spirit and the drawing of the Father (cf. John 6:37, 44–45, 65).

Paul Confirms This

Paul wrote to the Corinthians: "The cup of blessing which we bless, is it not a participation in the blood of Christ? The bread which we break, is it not a participation in the body of Christ?" (1 Cor. 10:16). So when we receive Communion, we actually participate in the body and blood of Christ, not just eat symbols of them. Paul also said, "Therefore whoever eats the bread and drinks the cup of the Lord unworthily will have to answer for the body and blood of the Lord. . . . For any one who eats and drinks without discerning the body, eats and drinks judgment on himself" (1 Cor. 11:27, 29). "To answer for the body and blood" of someone meant to be guilty of a crime as serious as homicide. How could eating mere bread and wine "unworthily" be so serious? Paul’s comment makes sense only if the bread and wine became the real body and blood of Christ.

What Did the First Christians Say?

nti-Catholics also claim the early Church took this chapter symbolically. Is that so? Let’s see what some early Christians thought, keeping in mind that we can learn much about how Scripture should be interpreted by examining the writings of early Christians.

Ignatius of Antioch, who had been a disciple of the apostle John and who wrote a letter to the Smyrnaeans about A.D. 110, said, referring to "those who hold heterodox opinions," that "they abstain from the Eucharist and from prayer, because they do not confess that the Eucharist is the flesh of our Savior Jesus Christ, flesh which suffered for our sins and which the Father, in his goodness, raised up again" (6:2, 7:1).

Forty years later, Justin Martyr, wrote, "Not as common bread or common drink do we receive these; but since Jesus Christ our Savior was made incarnate by the word of God and had both flesh and blood for our salvation, so too, as we have been taught, the food which has been made into the Eucharist by the Eucharistic prayer set down by him, and by the change of which our blood and flesh is nourished, . . . is both the flesh and the blood of that incarnated Jesus" (First Apology 66:1–20).

Origen, in a homily written about A.D. 244, attested to belief in the Real Presence. "I wish to admonish you with examples from your religion. You are accustomed to take part in the divine mysteries, so you know how, when you have received the Body of the Lord, you reverently exercise every care lest a particle of it fall and lest anything of the consecrated gift perish. You account yourselves guilty, and rightly do you so believe, if any of it be lost through negligence" (Homilies on Exodus 13:3).

Cyril of Jerusalem, in a catechetical lecture presented in the mid-300s, said, "Do not, therefore, regard the bread and wine as simply that, for they are, according to the Master’s declaration, the body and blood of Christ. Even though the senses suggest to you the other, let faith make you firm. Do not judge in this matter by taste, but be fully assured by faith, not doubting that you have been deemed worthy
of the body and blood of Christ" (Catechetical Discourses: Mystagogic 4:22:9).

In a fifth-century homily, Theodore of Mopsuestia seemed to be speaking to today’s Evangelicals and Fundamentalists: "When [Christ] gave the bread he did not say, ‘This is the symbol of my body,’ but, ‘This is my body.’ In the same way, when he gave the cup of his blood he did not say, ‘This is the symbol of my blood,’ but, ‘This is my blood,’ for he wanted us to look upon the [Eucharistic elements], after their reception of grace and the coming of the Holy Spirit, not according to their nature, but to receive them as they are, the body and blood of our Lord" (Catechetical Homilies 5:1).

Unanimous Testimony

Whatever else might be said, the early Church took John 6 literally. In fact, there is no record from the early centuries that implies Christians doubted the constant Catholic interpretation. There exists no document in which the literal interpretation is opposed and only the metaphorical accepted.

Why do Fundamentalists and Evangelicals reject the plain, literal interpretation of John 6? For them, Catholic sacraments are out because they imply a spiritual reality—grace—being conveyed by means of matter. This seems to them to be a violation of the divine plan. For many Protestants, matter is not to be used, but overcome or avoided.

One suspects, had they been asked by the Creator their opinion of how to bring about mankind’s salvation, Fundamentalists would have advised him to adopt a different approach. How much cleaner things would be if spirit never dirtied itself with matter! But God approves of matter—he approves of it because he created it—and he approves of it so much that he comes to us under the appearances of bread and wine, just as he does in the physical form of the Incarnate Christ.
As Jesus clearly explained, Bread And "Fruit Of The Vine", no blood involved.

Jesus clearly explained that this "Fruit Of The Vive" will be at the marriage supper in the eternal kingdom, no blood involved.

Pretty simple, Jesus Wasn't A Vampire:D

Matthew 26:26-28
26 And as they were eating, Jesus took bread, and blessed it, and brake it, and gave it to the disciples, and said, Take, eat; this is my body.
27 And he took the cup, and gave thanks, and gave it to them, saying, Drink ye all of it;
28 For this is my blood of the new testament, which is shed for many for the remission of sins.
29 But I say unto you, I will not drink henceforth of this fruit of the vine, until that day when I drink it new with you in my Father's kingdom.

Philip James

May 4, 2018
Brandon
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
You offer DEATH to the people - unfortunate, deceived people who you have lead to believe there is virtue in a stupid, crusty, stale piece of dead bread

I suggest you give Hebrews 10 a thorough reading.. And especially vs 29

Do you not think that a much worse punishment is due the one who has contempt for the Son of God, considers unclean the covenant-blood by which he was consecrated, and insults the spirit of grace?

epostle1

Sep 24, 2012
Essex
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
As Jesus clearly explained, Bread And "Fruit Of The Vine", no blood involved.

Jesus clearly explained that this "Fruit Of The Vive" will be at the marriage supper in the eternal kingdom, no blood involved.

Pretty simple, Jesus Wasn't A Vampire:D

26 And as they were eating, Jesus took bread, and blessed it, and brake it, and gave it to the disciples, and said, Take, eat; this is my body.
27 And he took the cup, and gave thanks, and gave it to them, saying, Drink ye all of it;
28 For this is my blood of the new testament, which is shed for many for the remission of sins.
29 But I say unto you, I will not drink henceforth of this fruit of the vine, until that day when I drink it new with you in my Father's kingdom.
I don't know where you get "vampire" from.
John 10:7 – Jesus did speak metaphorically about Himself in other places in Scripture. For example, here Jesus says, “I am the door.” But in this case, no one asked Jesus if He was literally made of wood. They understood him metaphorically.

John 15:1,5 – here is another example, where Jesus says, “I am the vine.” Again, no one asked Jesus if He was literally a vine. In John 6, Jesus’ disciples did ask about His literal speech (that this bread was His flesh which must be eaten). He confirmed that His flesh and blood were food and drink indeed. Many disciples understood Him and left Him.

Matt. 26:29; Mark 14:25; Luke 22:18 – Jesus says He will not drink of the “fruit of the vine” until He drinks it new in the kingdom. You try to use this verse (because Jesus said “fruit of the vine”) to prove the wine cannot be His blood. But the Greek word for fruit is “genneema” which literally means “that which is generated from the vine.” In John 15:1,5 Jesus says “I am the vine.” So “fruit of the vine” can also mean Jesus’ blood. In 1 Cor. 11:26-27, Paul also used “bread” and “the body of the Lord” interchangeably in the same sentence. Also, see Matt. 3:7;12:34;23:33 for examples were “genneema” means “birth” or “generation.”

26 And as they were eating, Jesus took bread, and blessed it, and brake it, and gave it to the disciples, and said, Take, eat; this is a symbol of my body.??? If it doesn't say that, why is that the way you read it???

A pamphlet, compiled a mere 60 years after the Protestant Revolt, shows clearly the disastrous results of private interpretation. The author Christoph Rasperger lists a total of 200 interpretations by Protestants of the words of Our Lord "This is My Body."

epostle1

Sep 24, 2012
Essex
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Matt. 26:29; Mark 14:25 – Jesus is celebrating the Passover seder meal with the apostles which requires them to drink four cups of wine. But Jesus only presents the first three cups. He stops at the Third Cup (called “Cup of Blessing” – that is why Paul in 1 Cor. 10:16 uses the phrase “Cup of Blessing” to refer to the Eucharist – he ties the seder meal to the Eucharistic sacrifice). But Jesus conspicuously tells his apostles that He is omitting the Fourth Cup called the “Cup of Consummation.” The Gospel writers point this critical omission of the seder meal out to us to demonstrate that the Eucharistic sacrifice and the sacrifice on the cross are one and the same sacrifice, and the sacrifice would not be completed until Jesus drank the Fourth Cup on the cross.

Matt. 26:30; Mark 14:26 – they sung the great Hallel, which traditionally followed the Third Cup of the seder meal, but did not drink the Fourth Cup of Consummation. The Passover sacrifice had begun, but was not yet finished. It continued in the Garden of Gethsemane and was consummated on the cross.
https://www.scripturecatholic.com/the-eucharist/

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Okay - ready to be humiliated again??

First of all - you can't be this dense to think that the Pope is saying that having a personal relationship with Jesus is "dangerous" - because he didn't say that.

He is talking about the importance of 1 Cor. 12, where Paul describes the Church as MANY members of ONE Body. ALL the parts need each pother. Pope Francis correctly stated that you cannot reject the the BODY of Christ and at the same time claim to have a "personal" relationship with Christ.

Maybe you should lay off the barbiturates . . .

Reactions: epostle1
Status
Not open for further replies.