A different concept....

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Willie T

Heaven Sent
Staff member
Sep 14, 2017
St. Petersburg Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Do you have any examples specific to your own experience that you wouldn't mind sharing?

I have had several of those experiences, but I am in love with Truth, and therefore, I continue to accept Him over me, and others.
There have been many because, like everyone else, I was only taught the parts of Scripture my teachers were taught. So, of course, if they were not really "thinkers", how could they teach me anything else?

But, I guess the most striking was to be shown that, in writing Revelation, John went out of his way to show his readers/hearers that it was a contemporary letter, not a Crystal Ball of the future, way off 2,000 or more years into a world they would know nothing about. I was especially surprised to see how blissfully we had just glossed right over three separate times that John addressed the point that most of the things he was telling them to watch for were going to happen "very soon", in a time that they, themselves, would experience and live through.

Reactions: bbyrd009

Willie T

Heaven Sent
Staff member
Sep 14, 2017
St. Petersburg Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Then there was Matthew 24. I have to admit that I never felt so foolish as when I actually asked the question, "Why should it matter?" about Jesus telling people to hope and pray that what He was warning them about didn't happen in the Winter... or on the Sabbath.... or when women might be pregnant or nursing. And that they were going to have to move very, very quickly once they saw the Army beginning to surround Jerusalem, to be able to escape the city before the City Gates were closed against that army, and they would be trapped inside the walls.

Last edited:

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Not only different translations, but by reading separate books by different men and women we see perspectives and sensitive insights that we may have never seen in any other way. I kind of think we blind ourselves by refusing to look at anything not totally familiar to us.
Indeed! There are prophets we have met in the flesh and there are or have been prophets to whom God has given something to write in books for someone to read and be edified thereby. God works in more ways than probably any of us are able to imagine.

Last edited:
Reactions: Willie T and Helen

Uisdean

Aug 12, 2018
Asheville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Do you have any examples specific to your own experience that you wouldn't mind sharing?

I have had several of those experiences, but I am in love with Truth, and therefore, I continue to accept Him over me, and others.

First thing that comes to mind is The Rapture . ..When I read those passages I did not know they were about The Rapture. I saw them much differently. Now I can see them both ways at the same time! So, if there is a Rapture, I'm ready & if not, I'm ready for that, too! If you read it carefully, you'll see that the one left behind could be the one that's saved. The Point is that it's not a Critical Point. The Rapture really makes no difference in how you live life as a Christian. (If you are not experiencing tribulation you will. How we handle tribulation is part of our Christian witness.)
I suspect that's how it goes for any ambiguous scripture. --Not that God gave us ambiguous scripture; but that our understanding of Holy Scripture is a Human understanding. We see through a glass darkly...

Last edited:
Reactions: Helen

Willie T

Heaven Sent
Staff member
Sep 14, 2017
St. Petersburg Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
First thing that comes to mind is The Rapture . ..When I read those passages I did not know they were about The Rapture. I saw them much differently. Now I can see them both ways at the same time! So, if there is a Rapture, I'm ready & if not, I'm ready for that, too! If you read it carefully, you'll see that the one left behind could be the one that's saved. The Point is that it's not a Critical Point. The Rapture really makes no difference in how you live life as a Christian. (If you are not experiencing tribulation you will. How we handle tribulation is part of our Christian witness.)
I suspect that's how it goes for any ambiguous scripture. --Not that God gave us ambiguous scripture; but that our understanding of Holy Scripture is a Human understanding. We see through a glass darkly...
That was certainly the case with the people who were taken out of this life in Noah's day.

Uisdean

Aug 12, 2018
Asheville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
i don't see how believing that Jesus is going to literally come riding in on a White Horse tomorrow to save me again would not have a profound effect on my Modus Operandi wadr?
I don't know you well enough to know how to answer this. I was replying to a post asking about specific scripture that might be interpreted in more than one way. In case you are seriously asking, why would Jesus' return (no matter how) cause you to act differently?

Last edited:

Willie T

Heaven Sent
Staff member
Sep 14, 2017
St. Petersburg Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I don't know you well enough to know how to answer this. In case you are seriously asking, I have two questions for you: Does Jesus save you once only or every time you sin & repent? Also, why would Jesus' return (no matter how) cause you to act differently?
One of the most prevalent views on this is that if a person thinks they are getting out of this world soon, and most of it is going to burn any way (including most people), why bother working too hard to expand the kingdom?

Personally, I think it might be as long as 10,000 more years till Jesus returns, and He DID leave us a job He wanted us to do for Him.

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
"Return to Me..."
In case you are seriously asking, why would Jesus' return (no matter how) cause you to act differently?
ah well you might first try and go find this "return" in Scripture; we just kinda did this last week i think it was, be nice to get another perspective there though i guess. No one could Quote it last week though,

but anyway, "i" would quite likely be much less compelled to act in certain venues that require action, and would likely also feel directed to act in certain ways--proselytizing comes to mind--that are also counter-productive?

I will never leave you nor forsake you

Last edited:

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada

Amen...good post. Me too.

Willie T

Heaven Sent
Staff member
Sep 14, 2017
St. Petersburg Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Why would you think that, Willie?
Well, contrary to what most people seem to think, I believe the Bible teaches that God wins in the world with the countless numbers of descendants Abraham was promised. And we are nowhere near that number yet.

Approximately 62-65 billion people have lived since Christianity was begun, and only about 4 -5 billion have professed Christianity. I think we have a ways to go still.

Last edited:
Reactions: Triumph1300

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Just Wondering ...
Is anyone else attempting Willie T's challenge? If so, how are you doing?

:oops: I did start it...but I am not good at toeing the line...even if I make that line myself!
I start, but then I go off in all directions...'following rabbits' down different holes!!

As for your mention of the rapture...that is one reason I do not like the way it is preached ( well I still probably wouldn't like it any way it is preached!! )
But to tell people to live right and live ready , "so that" they will be among the 'zapped out of here' crowd... to me is the same as a mother saying- " Behave yourself or a policemen will come and get you . " If we cannot yet live right because we want to, because LOVE compels us...then I would seriously wonder just how much we really love God 'for Himself'.
Which is a bit like the time Satan said to God:- " Does Job love God for nought?"
God said ...okay, find out...test him.
Do we love because we hope get? Or do we love Him because He first loved us, ... we saw the price that His love cost Him..so we "left our nets" and followed Him?

TheHolyBookEnds

Jun 12, 2018
Neighbour
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Sorry to butt in here, but I could offer several. And all of them except one when a clear exposition of scripture was offered, when I had never previously studied those particular topics but automatically accepted when I joined the church .
First is Sunday sacredness... No scripture support whatever. Automatically accepted without study.
Second is the state of the dead. As above, on auto pilot.
Third, which I had blindly accepted others teaching taking their word without studying was the issues and prophetic points pertaining to the second coming.
There are others as well. I have changed my thinking on many issues over the 40 years I've been a Christian
You are not interrupting. :) I like the input. Thank you for sharing.

How did you initially feel when you were confronted with new ideas, that were 180 to what you presently believed?

I know how I felt. Some call it "Cog-Dis" (Cognitive Dissonance). Cheated, robbed, and really, really angry and upset. I fought it for awhile, but not in any real way, took it out on others at first, and finally came to realization of defeat, and gave in to God, as Jacob did and then came the 'consequences' (blessings now that I look back) of choosing truth over error.

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
One of the most prevalent views on this is that if a person thinks they are getting out of this world soon, and most of it is going to burn any way (including most people), why bother working too hard to expand the kingdom?
On the contrary, those who hold to a pre-tribulation Rapture are also very diligent in spreading the Gospel message, missionary work, church planting, and bringing souls to Christ.

As to "expanding the Kingdom" that sounds more like Dominion Theology, since Christ is building the Church as the moment. The Kingdom will be established AFTER the Second Coming of Christ.

Willie T

Heaven Sent
Staff member
Sep 14, 2017
St. Petersburg Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
On the contrary, those who hold to a pre-tribulation Rapture are also very diligent in spreading the Gospel message, missionary work, church planting, and bringing souls to Christ.

As to "expanding the Kingdom" that sounds more like Dominion Theology, since Christ is building the Church as the moment. The Kingdom will be established AFTER the Second Coming of Christ.
Do you remember who "The Great Commission" was given to? Christ never told us to sit back and relax, because He would go out and usher people into the doors of our church buildings. Even as early as Pentecost, it was the efforts of the Apostles that reached the people listening to the words they spoke in persuading them. They did not go down to the river, and wait for God to send the multitudes down there to them. And later, they didn't sit and wait at Jerusalem. They walked, got on donkeys, and ships, and engaged in journeys of thousands of miles in taking the gospel to people...… because He told them "The kingdom is with you, within you, and among you." Luke 17:21 is just one mention of that.

Last edited:
Reactions: Triumph1300