A different concept....

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
YUP, thems the kind wez got round here! LOL, Yet not funny! Kinda goes with them one verser's!

Well, what little I know about venomous snakes...
They LOVE it when you grab them and jump up and down

Reactions: Willie T

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
People like to ‘know’ without thinking. Prooftexting is perfect for them - it is a way to feel ‘right’ about their tribe and rally others. Many Christians are just fans

Nail on the head...
~ .Thumb.gif

Reactions: Willie T and aspen

Truth

May 31, 2017
AZ, Quartzsite
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well, what little I know about venomous snakes...
They LOVE it when you grab them and jump up and down

I don't think they really Love it, My Wife and I lived out on the Desert for 2 1/2 years, year round, started out in a tent! Now I do not go hunting them, But when they would come out of the wash in the morning's and evening's, I would just take care of the business end [head ] and feed the leftovers to the Coyotes! I Surly would not play with them!

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I don't think they really Love it, My Wife and I lived out on the Desert for 2 1/2 years, year round, started out in a tent! Now I do not go hunting them, But when they would come out of the wash in the morning's and evening's, I would just take care of the business end [head ] and feed the leftovers to the Coyotes! I Surly would not play with them!

O ye of little faith....

Haha

Reactions: Nancy and Willie T

Uisdean

Aug 12, 2018
Asheville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Report on how it goes: 'not as expected'...
My intent was to read one translation after another; however, I read successive chapters in random translations. I have noticed different wording and some verses that I did not know were there! That might be what Willie T was suggesting. When the format changes you see things in a new way.
I plan to keep reading Ephesians for the full month. This is proving to be an interesting endeavor.
Rejoice Always!

Uisdean

Aug 12, 2018
Asheville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
In my 53 Christian years, I have never myself read through from Gen- Rev. without some of the NT too. Let alone told a NEW Christian to do that!!o_O
I myself have always done...and I have always taught young Christian to do...is get established in the NT first..then when you have done that..then read a chap of Gen and a chapter of the NT together...daily.
Can we really see a poor new Christian wading through the book of Numbers , Ecclesiastes, Lamentations...etc etc.. with no spiritual building up for all those months!! If my mentor had told me to do that I would have slit my wrists by the book of Ecclesiastes...if I even got that far. :eek:

Willie T

Heaven Sent
Staff member
Sep 14, 2017
St. Petersburg Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Report on how it goes: 'not as expected'...
My intent was to read one translation after another; however, I read successive chapters in random translations. I have noticed different wording and some verses that I did not know were there! That might be what Willie T was suggesting. When the format changes you see things in a new way.
I plan to keep reading Ephesians for the full month. This is proving to be an interesting endeavor.
Rejoice Always!
Not only different translations, but by reading separate books by different men and women we see perspectives and sensitive insights that we may have never seen in any other way. I kind of think we blind ourselves by refusing to look at anything not totally familiar to us.

Last edited:
Reactions: Helen

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
In my 53 Christian years, I have never myself read through from Gen- Rev. without some of the NT too. Let alone told a NEW Christian to do that!!o_O
I myself have always done...and I have always taught young Christian to do...is get established in the NT first..then when you have done that..then read a chap of Gen and a chapter of the NT together...daily.
Can we really see a poor new Christian wading through the book of Numbers , Ecclesiastes, Lamentations...etc etc.. with no spiritual building up for all those months!! If my mentor had told me to do that I would have slit my wrists by the book of Ecclesiastes...if I even got that far. :eek:
ha funny you mention that, i often direct certain others to start there! :)

lforrest

Staff member
Admin
Aug 10, 2012
Faith
Christian
If it is ideal to start from the beginning reading from Genesis makes sense.

However it doesn't make since to ignore the references to Jesus in the OT. So its probably better to start from the gospels and do the NT first.

Uisdean

Aug 12, 2018
Asheville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Not only different translations, but by reading separate books by different men and women we see perspectives and sensitive insights that we may have never have seen in any other way. I kind of think we blind ourselves by refusing to look at anything not totally familiar to us.

...Once I read a book by a former French Lutheran who had converted and become a Roman priest. I found much of the book irritating; however, I did learn some rather surprising things. More important, in reading his description of Calvin's take on St. Augustine I had a beautiful vision that explained Faith & Works perfectly. So you are correct: even reading a theologian with whom you disagree can prove worthwhile. ( I will tell you about the vision in another thread.)

Last edited:

Willie T

Heaven Sent
Staff member
Sep 14, 2017
St. Petersburg Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Having read the book, The Story, I might (if my pupil was a real reader) suggest that they first read that book ABOUT the Bible.

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
So its probably better to start from the gospels and do the NT first.
Agreed. And even there, it would be best to start with Gospel #4 and work back to Gospel #1.

John wrote with one goal in mind: that people would believe that Jesus is who He says He is, and believing that would result in receiving eternal life (and the gift of the Holy Ghost).

But these are written, that ye might believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God; and that believing ye might have life through his name. (John 20:31).

TheHolyBookEnds

Jun 12, 2018
Neighbour
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
if a portion of Scripture (or even an entire chapter or book) may actually say something other that that which we have been taught
Do you have any examples specific to your own experience that you wouldn't mind sharing?

I have had several of those experiences, but I am in love with Truth, and therefore, I continue to accept Him over me, and others.

B

brakelite

Do you have any examples specific to your own experience that you wouldn't mind sharing?
Sorry to butt in here, but I could offer several. And all of them except one when a clear exposition of scripture was offered, when I had never previously studied those particular topics but automatically accepted when I joined the church .
First is Sunday sacredness... No scripture support whatever. Automatically accepted without study.
Second is the state of the dead. As above, on auto pilot.
Third, which I had blindly accepted others teaching taking their word without studying was the issues and prophetic points pertaining to the second coming.
There are others as well. I have changed my thinking on many issues over the 40 years I've been a Christian