A different concept....

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I think the day that stops happening to us, we need to seriously take a good, long look at ourselves.

TRUE!!
When I still belonged for 15 years ( and then left) that Big Movement we were in... I saw at a gathering ( we still went but we were no longer "under their covering") the main leader...I said to him..< "It is a very strange feeling, after all these years of being a major part of something...and then leaving it...I feel a bit like Paul " in the body or out of the Body I know not. :) " >
His answer was , just what you said..
" Helen, can you still hear His Voice?" The answer was yes.
He then said , 'All the time He is speaking to you, no need to worry...if or when you no longer hear His Voice...then hit your knees and find out why. "

So very true...

Stranger

Oct 5, 2016
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Goodness ...Now I understand why you are often so grumpy!! :D
A year of the diet of only reading the law and the failings of trying to keep the law...the punishments of God before Grace had been released from behind the rent vail....that must be why " to me" you are often legalistic in your responses.

Mix and balance your diet a wee bit. :)

ByGrace, there is plenty of grace in the Old Testament. The Law is full of grace. The Law is broken but God allows fellowship with him on the basis of sacrifice. When you read the New Testament, do you not find failings also. Read the books to the Corinthians, to the Galatians, to the Hebrews.
I do not understand your accusation of legalistic. I am adamant, yes. But not legalistic.

In reading the whole Bible from Genesis to Revelation, I get a true understanding of God. And that is what I am after. I study individual books, of course, but in light of the whole Bible. But my daily readings are always in the course of the whole Bible. At present I am in Leviticus in my daily readings. Yet I am studying the book of Zechariah.

Stranger

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
ByGrace, there is plenty of grace in the Old Testament. The Law is full of grace. The Law is broken but God allows fellowship with him on the basis of sacrifice. When you read the New Testament, do you not find failings also. Read the books to the Corinthians, to the Galatians, to the Hebrews.
I do not understand your accusation of legalistic. I am adamant, yes. But not legalistic.

In reading the whole Bible from Genesis to Revelation, I get a true understanding of God. And that is what I am after. I study individual books, of course, but in light of the whole Bible. But my daily readings are always in the course of the whole Bible. At present I am in Leviticus in my daily readings. Yet I am studying the book of Zechariah.

Stranger

Gotcha ...I thought you were meaning that you only read the bible through. So , If in a morning you felt a nudge from the Lord to read something in Romans , you would feel free to do so?

Then I misunderstood your post back there.

Reactions: Willie T and Nancy

Truth

May 31, 2017
AZ, Quartzsite
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Indeed Truth! Agreed, all...I myself am not good with "chapter and verse citing, usually have to look it up...the scripture is in my mind but, not necessarily chap. and verse.
"...the NT Epistles are Letter's, so why would you start in the middle of any letter!" Yes! Context, context and more context ♥

Well I wouldn't start in the middle of any book, or letter! that was the point, there are some feel good books that give you a verse from a book in the Bible, and say it is verse of or for the day, you know Meditate on this verse today and tomorrow, they give you another verse! A verse by itself really has no overall context!

Willie T

Heaven Sent
Staff member
Sep 14, 2017
St. Petersburg Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well I wouldn't start in the middle of any book, or letter! that was the point, there are some feel good books that give you a verse from a book in the Bible, and say it is verse of or for the day, you know Meditate on this verse today and tomorrow, they give you another verse! A verse by itself really has no overall context!
You really said a mouthful there. But we still have millions of "one-verse Christians" who just can't quite seem to be able to grasp that.

Nancy

Staff member
Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Amen. The epistles are my favorite part of the N.C. And, I have been told, or read that to keep context in check we should always read 5 verses before and 5 after a verse in question.

Stranger

Oct 5, 2016
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Gotcha ...I thought you were meaning that you only read the bible through. So , If in a morning you felt a nudge from the Lord to read something in Romans , you would feel free to do so?

Then I misunderstood your post back there.

Of course, I can read at times any portion of the Bible. But I do not divorce it from the rest of the Bible. And it does not affect my daily reading through the entire Bible. My daily reading starts and stops at specific points. The whole point is to read all the way through.

Stranger

Reactions: amadeus

lforrest

Staff member
Admin
Aug 10, 2012
Faith
Christian
Of course, I can read at times any portion of the Bible. But I do not divorce it from the rest of the Bible. And it does not affect my daily reading through the entire Bible. My daily reading starts and stops at specific points. The whole point is to read all the way through.

Stranger
Is that what hes suggesting? I think the idea is to make it so people don't bring their extra biblical baggage with them to the study.

I agree about not starting in the middle, for example:
Hebrews 13:20 without prior knowledge from reading the gospels you might think Jesus a shepherd of literal sheep.

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
You really said a mouthful there. But we still have millions of "one-verse Christians" who just can't quite seem to be able to grasp that.
Sometimes one verse is indeed sufficient, since it has a wealth of meaning which may require a dissertation to be properly understood, e.g. John 3:16 or Acts 16:31.

John W. Burgon (an outstanding textual scholar of the 19th century) actually wrote a dissertation on 1 Timothy 3:16 while focusing on just one word -- "Theos" (God) -- which had been changed to "who" or "which" -- and thus undermined the truth about the deity of Christ. See The Revision Revised.

Reactions: Nancy

Willie T

Heaven Sent
Staff member
Sep 14, 2017
St. Petersburg Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Sometimes one verse is indeed sufficient, since it has a wealth of meaning which may require a dissertation to be properly understood, e.g. John 3:16 or Acts 16:31.

John W. Burgon (an outstanding textual scholar of the 19th century) actually wrote a dissertation on 1 Timothy 3:16 while focusing on just one word -- "Theos" (God) -- which had been changed to "who" or "which" -- and thus undermined the truth about the deity of Christ. See The Revision Revised.
Would that "One Verse Christians" even BEGAN to think that deeply. I'm talking about the "I read them four words, and that there settles it.... it said I would handle serpents, so THAT's God's word to us." "Where's the snakes?" type of belief.
Yes, many think they are far more sophisticated in their interpretations of their chosen "proof texts", but...……

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Would that "One Verse Christians" even BEGAN to think that deeply. I'm talking about the "I read them four words, and that there settles it.... it said I would handle serpents, so THAT's God's word to us." "Where's the snakes?" type of belief.
Yes, many think they are far more sophisticated in their interpretations of their chosen "proof texts", but...……

People like to ‘know’ without thinking. Prooftexting is perfect for them - it is a way to feel ‘right’ about their tribe and rally others. Many Christians are just fans

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The point being, just snatching some random verses from the Bible, and making them a tenet of theology is just as foolish as what these people are doing.

Dispensationalism and Purgatory come to mind

Reactions: Nancy