A different concept....

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Willie T

Heaven Sent
Staff member
Sep 14, 2017
St. Petersburg Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I know this bolded part will border upon Satanic heresy for some of you. But, that is a "given", considering the group we have here. So, as I usually do, I will ignore such a faction and address this to those of you I have come to respect as thinkers.

An interesting and often rewarding approach to the study of the Bible is to take a smaller book, like Ephesians or 1 John, and read it through each day for a month. More than any single effort, this will put the structure of the book into your mind. Read it without trying to fit it into established categories. Expect to hear new things in new ways. Keep a journal of your findings. In the course of these studies you will obviously want to make use of the best secondary aids available.

Anyone ever done anything like this?

Willie T

Heaven Sent
Staff member
Sep 14, 2017
St. Petersburg Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I know a lot of people may consider it blasphemous to ask yourself if a portion of Scripture (or even an entire chapter or book) may actually say something other that that which we have been taught, but I kind of think it is a bit foolish NOT to do that.

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I know a lot of people may consider it blasphemous to ask yourself if a portion of Scripture (or even an entire chapter or book) may actually say something other that that which we have been taught, but I kind of think it is a bit foolish NOT to do that.

Including a concordance or interlinear to get at the obscure word structures that aren't always clear.

Willie T

Heaven Sent
Staff member
Sep 14, 2017
St. Petersburg Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Including a concordance or interlinear to get at the obscure word structures that aren't always clear.
True..... but even there, I would advise caution due to the reasoning that "context" seems to have such a powerful influence on the explicit meanings of both Hebrew and Greek words.
To see this in English, just look up the word "run" in a large, unabridged dictionary.

Reactions: Nancy and Helen
B

Butterfly

I haven't done it with Ephesians, but I have done it with psalms, taking one word from a sentence each day and considering what it is saying. Psalm 23 was really inspiring.
Never thought about reading one book over a month, hmmm, may try it with Ephesians X
Rita

Reactions: Willie T and Helen

Willie T

Heaven Sent
Staff member
Sep 14, 2017
St. Petersburg Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I haven't done it with Ephesians, but I have done it with psalms, taking one word from a sentence each day and considering what it is saying. Psalm 23 was really inspiring.
Never thought about reading one book over a month, hmmm, may try it with Ephesians X
Rita
:) I think that was one book, thirty times in a month. But, even one page is good.

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
You mean like abandoning any presuppositions?

That word abandoning we can say so quickly and easily...but my goodness...grooves have been worn in my belief system which cause me to think down 'that path' . Trying to read the scripture 'as if ' I have never read it before is such a discipline ..really..
Trying to come at it as 'fresh' is hard work...but like Willie says...can be very rewarding.

I think I will only be able to read Ephesians one line at a time. :D
It may take me three months lol

Thanks @Willie T Good thread....we need such challenges.

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada

Ive given up on even trying to read anything other than the AKJV because when I do read something else, my mind flips it over into AKJV speak...so I am looking at the page...yet still 'reading' the AKJV!!! o_O

Willie T

Heaven Sent
Staff member
Sep 14, 2017
St. Petersburg Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We often hear the statement, "It's right there in the Bible... READ IT FOR YOURSELF." Yet, if a person does "read it for themselves", and sees something other than what our traditional teaching has taught us, we just might savagely rip their leg off over that.

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Yes @Willie T I do need this...and I will give it my best shot...looking forward to it. It is His Spirit which gives us the insight.

Bless you....H

Reactions: Willie T

lforrest

Staff member
Admin
Aug 10, 2012
Faith
Christian
How about a group bible study with no presuppositions. The rule for any discussion would be no outside references. You can only quote from what was already stated in the Bible study. Even quoting scriptures would be forbidden if it wasn't done yet in the study.

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I know this bolded part will border upon Satanic heresy for some of you. But, that is a "given", considering the group we have here. So, as I usually do, I will ignore such a faction and address this to those of you I have come to respect as thinkers.

An interesting and often rewarding approach to the study of the Bible is to take a smaller book, like Ephesians or 1 John, and read it through each day for a month. More than any single effort, this will put the structure of the book into your mind. Read it without trying to fit it into established categories. Expect to hear new things in new ways. Keep a journal of your findings. In the course of these studies you will obviously want to make use of the best secondary aids available.

Anyone ever done anything like this?

I absolutely like this idea. Even taking individual Chapters of a book at a time this way might be helpful. I was just explaining to my wife yesterday how badly people don't understand Isaiah 58 yet tend to quote one passage of it to one another all the time (Isaiah 58:6-8) as if they know the meaning when they don't know the rest of the verses that surround it. Internal context is the primary means to accurate interpretation. Secondary to this is external context (such as statements made in other books, epistles, etc), but INTERNAL context should always take priority in interpreting anything.

Willie T

Heaven Sent
Staff member
Sep 14, 2017
St. Petersburg Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
How about a group bible study with no presuppositions. The rule for any discussion would be no outside references. You can only quote from what was already stated in the Bible study. Even quoting scriptures would be forbidden if it wasn't done yet in the study.
Well, to be frank, I am not that smart. Almost EVERYTHING I know (or "think" I know) first usually came from someone else seeing something I missed.

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada

Now THAT would indeed be an interesting study indeed. :)
And also require breaking old habits!!

Reactions: Nancy and Willie T

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Well, to be frank, I am not that smart. Almost EVERYTHING I know (or "think" I know) first usually came from someone else seeing something I missed.

But that goes for every single one of us...
...anything any of us Knows..or thinks we know...has come via a friend, or a preacher, or a book...which then causes " the babe to leap within us" as our own inner-witness says " Amen". :)

Willie T

Heaven Sent
Staff member
Sep 14, 2017
St. Petersburg Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Have you noticed that we are at 20 posts in this thread, and everyone is still calmly behaving like a __________ ? …….. (I had a word in mind, but you fill in your own.)