• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Barny, or Qo, the Preacher (lol) here. @Aunty Jane and I thought we'd try to revisit a project similar to one she was involved in recently.

We gave it a proper title, but I think we're just going to try to keep it as informal and nonrestrictive as possible. We've agreed to do our best to avoid contentious language and one-upmanship. We've met before and butted heads a little so, hopefully, we got that out of our systems.

We'll be talking about the Bible itself, to begin with, and deciding on additional topics and timing as we go.

We've made this public so others can follow along and participate productively, but we're just not going to be entertaining divisive objections and intentional disruptions from others. Everyone's welcome, in or out.

Aunty and I come from differing religious backgrounds, I'd say to a substantial extent, but it seems we do have in common that when the fullness of time had come, so to speak, we both found it necessary to make some fairly radical changes in philosophy and affiliation.

So, I guess what comes to mind first about Scripture to me is that like the Word made flesh, it's similar to Jacobs ladder. It's His voice to me, while at the same time teaching me how to talk to Him. So it's kind of a two-way conduit of communication, and since relationships (which is key to salvation according to John 17) thrive on proper communication, the Word is all-important. Having said that, those who know me might scratch their heads a little at this since I tend to downplay the importance of my own salvation. Nevertheless, it’s important that folks have practical knowledge of these things.

Boy, I get sidetracked so easily. As soon as I get started talking about one thing, I almost instantly relate it to another. It might not be a bad idea for me to say a word or two about just that.

I see the Bible much as the seamless garment Christ wore–every part connected. I learned about the various types of theology from Jon Paulien, now Dean of Religion at Loma Linda University. He used to upload his class lectures to YouTube when he taught at Andrews some years back. He got me very interested in Systematic Theology which he taught under the old definition of applied religion–IOW, where the biblical rubber meets the road, so to speak. When I think about or study Scripture, I always pray that it will teach me something I can use practically, today. I want to fully realize the "By beholding we become changed" (2 Corinthians 3:18) model of sanctification.

I like to try to find every lesson taught in the Bible exhibited in a scene from Christ's ministry, whether it be when He was walking in Palestine or officiating as our High Priest in the Tabernacle made without hands.

That's why I will often generate a lengthy post with no Scripture references at all. Some folks don't like that too much. And the truth is God's words are always better than ours, and the next time I post, I’ll try to use more Scripture.

I’m a non-conformist in many respects, rejecting creeds as a rule and many of the post-antiquity encapsulations of doctrine. For instance, words and terms like inerrancy, infallibility, plenary, dynamic inspiration, verbal dictation, etc., mean but little to me, despite the number of scholars and “leaders” that might have signed affirming documents. The Bible itself says all that need be said on many matters. In fact, it’s much easier for me to list terms of human design with which I disagree than agree. This is ambiguous enough, I suppose.

The Bible is the Word of God. It is our law, our guidebook, (lots of) our history, our spiritual food and drink with, more than many would care to admit, even some psychology and natural science thrown in. It is the anvil that has worn out countless hammers. It is the wonder of some of the most brilliant minds ever to have been engaged in learning. It is the foundation of all true education. It is the hope of countless multitudes. It is the shewbread on the table in the Sanctuary. It is my meditation all the day long. It is a frontlet between mine eyes and a sign upon mine hand. And it transforms peoples lives like nothing else can.

But, most importantly of all, it testifies of Him Who is fairest among ten thousand, One altogether lovely, the Rose of Sharon, the Lamb of God that taketh away the sin of the world, the One in Whom the Father’s soul delights, the One Whose yoke is easy and Whose burden is light, the One Who gives rest to all who come to Him, the High Priest touched with the feeling of our infirmities, the One with Whom we are seated in heavenly places, the One Who overcame the world, laid down His life of Himself that He might take it up again, so that we might live as He lives, die to self, and be raised to newness of life everlasting, but also more abundantly even in the here and now.

Sort of a lazy first outing, I guess, but I want to get things started so AJ will have a chance to join in ASAP (we're dealing with quite a difference in time zones), but hopefully I can come close to catching up with her soon enough. I may wind up having to follow her lead, anyway. She seems to possess the aggressiveness needed to be a leader.

Your serve, Aunty!
wave.001.gif

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
The Bible is the Word of God
in a thread titled “truth” you might be called upon to “prove” your absolute statements, or to rephrase, “i believe the Bible is the Word of God” could not be refuted, whereas that can easily be

She seems to possess the aggressiveness needed to be a leader.
bc we seek aggressiveness in our leaders, huh

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
in a thread titled “truth” you might be called upon to “prove” your absolute statements, or to rephrase, “i believe the Bible is the Word of God” could not be refuted, whereas that can easily be
I kinda figured on a fair amount of that.
bc we seek aggressiveness in our leaders, huh
Indeed, we do. :D

DavidB

Feb 22, 2022
Denver
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Bible is the Word of God. It is our law, our guidebook, (lots of) our history, our spiritual food and drink with, more than many would care to admit, even some psychology and natural science thrown in. It is the anvil that has worn out countless hammers. It is the wonder of some of the most brilliant minds ever to have been engaged in learning. It is the foundation of all true education. It is the hope of countless multitudes. It is the shewbread on the table in the Sanctuary. It is my meditation all the day long. It is a frontlet between mine eyes and a sign upon mine hand. And it transforms peoples lives like nothing else can.

Well said.

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
and yet unQuotable
I kinda figured on a fair amount of that
i think “truth” might be most often where we have lacked the hearing to understand, or “truth is that thing that you dont want to hear.”

iow it is more or less pointless for me to refute your statement of absolute truth, if you cannot hear that; and the point was more about making unverifiable statements, that can only invite sycophants or objection, whereas “i believe…” cannot be refuted, but might be discussed :)

(in any other subject but Word i would have demurred btw, but it is my prayer that you remain open to what Word really is, that you might hear It someday)

Last edited:

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
i think “truth” might be most often where we have lacked the hearing to understand, or “truth is that thing that you dont want to hear.”

iow it is more or less pointless for me to refute your statement of absolute truth, if you cannot hear that; and the point was more about making unverifiable statements, that can only invite sycophants or objection, whereas “i believe…” cannot be refuted, but might be discussed :)

(in any other subject but Word i would have demurred btw, but it is my prayer that you remain open to what Word really is, that you might hear It someday)
Epistemology is a bit above my pay grade. "Absolute truth" is one of those encapsulations...

Your prayer has been answered as far as I'm concerned. What is Word?

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
it’s funny, we were just discussing this in a thread last night, something about “men over women” i think
Headship is definitely not something I lay awake worrying about at night. Although, to be honest, my denominational structure has had quite a stir about it for the last 30 years or so. With some elements of both sides of the argument behaving quite poorly, I might add. What has been accomplished is various-sized pockets of disunity, unfortunately. I found myself literally in tears while watching the 2015 General Conference Session in San Antonio.

Reactions: Brakelite

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Epistemology is a bit above my pay grade
mine too, i guess; i dont know what that word means, and i have to go look it up every time! lol

"Absolute truth" is one of those encapsulations
”this is that, that is this, its like this and like that and like this”

What is Word?
now there’s a thread title, i guess! idk really, but i do know that It is not “read, taught, believed, repeated…” or quite a few other things that we commonly attribute to It

Reactions: BarneyFife

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Headship is definitely not something I lay awake worrying about at night. Although, to be honest, my denominational structure has had quite a stir about it for the last 30 years or so. With some elements of both sides of the argument behaving quite poorly, I might add. What has been accomplished is various-sized pockets of disunity, unfortunately. I found myself literally in tears while watching the 2015 General Conference Session in San Antonio.
imo it is easy to recognize when someone is coming from their “woman” or their “man,” but tbh this might be bc i have some kind of mild aphasia. I have an article around somewhere about extreme aphasia’s, who cannot even understand their native language, who sit around in psych hospitals watching tv, and laughing at talking heads for reasons which were only recently discovered; the talking heads that they invariably laugh at were seen by normies as being disingenuous, even tho it was often quite subtle to the normies. ill see if i can find it, but it is in Genesis too, “and when Eve saw that the fruit was good for…” gotta run sorry

Last edited:
Reactions: BarneyFife

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
”this is that, that is this, its like this and like that and like this”
Sure, I get that, but didn't it start as an atheistic slur?
I am very interested in the way that the constant state of flux in which language resides affects the pursuit of truth.
now there’s a thread title, i guess! idk really, but i do know that It is not “read, taught, believed, repeated…” or quite a few other things that we commonly attribute to It
Well, I don't know about finding out what logos is by process of elimination - lol

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I don't know anything about this. Please elaborate.
World church has a convention every 5 years. People (mostly Americans) were allowing 'self' to creep into a discussion leading up to a vote of delegates on the issue of women's ordination to the ministry of the Gospel. It was heartbreaking. I'd say more but I've probably said too much already. :)