A Fist Full of Doubt's

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
I would say these are the two witnesses that stand before the Lord.
The Law and the Testimony.. Moses and the Prophets.
Rev 11:4 These are the two olive trees, and the two candlesticks standing before the God of the earth.

That's where I believe they are.
Hugs
@Ziggy Interesting reference also to 'the law and the prophets' in Romans 3, in the context of justification by faith.

Ziggy

Oct 19, 2020
Maine, USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Ziggy These threads provoke a lot of thought, don't they? :)
My mind never sleeps farouk..
I guess I could say pondering or still meditating, it's just thinking is easier.
There is no end to thinking. Well, while you can that is.
I'll be standing at the sink washing dishes and I start thinking about cleaning the inside and the outside of the cup or platter.
Even right now I'm sitting at my desk thinking about thinking...
It never stops lol.
Maybe I should change my avatar lol
iu

Hugs

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
My mind never sleeps farouk..
I guess I could say pondering or still meditating, it's just thinking is easier.
There is no end to thinking. Well, while you can that is.
I'll be standing at the sink washing dishes and I start thinking about cleaning the inside and the outside of the cup or platter.
Even right now I'm sitting at my desk thinking about thinking...
It never stops lol.
Maybe I should change my avatar lol
iu

Hugs
@Ziggy, that's a lovely sculpture.... :)

On the subject of thought, Philippians 4.8 is a favorite: 'think on these things'.... :)

Reactions: Ziggy

Brakelite

Feb 6, 2020
Melbourne
brakelite.wordpress.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Doubt is something that is a natural enemy to the believer, especially within a group of believer's. Because a little doubt can deflate the whole souffle of your faith. There were times in my Christian belief I was unsure about the history of the biblical accounts, and the only answer offered to quell those doubts went like this

"Why would the apostles die for a lie"

That answer really made me think about how seriously these followers of Jesus must of been. That seemed to combat those doubt's on some level, but it also blindsided me probing any further. Now I have distance from ye old faith, I see now that answer to the historical reliability of Jesus was really never enough.

If I died for my faith in Jesus, it doesn't benifit anyone else in the end but me. Sure I could die for someone on the earth for the sake of love, but ultimately it means nothing. My death would mostly advance Christianity in some way, promote Jesus. But how does dying for the sake of my belief help the course of history for creating vaccine's or cleaner fuels?

Yeah, that's where I'm at now.
Sorry, but I'm not sure precisely what it is you are doubting. Can you clarify please?

I.O.U

Aug 8, 2021
Brisbane
Faith
Agnostic
Country
Australia
This is STRIKE two....the guy just doesn't like me for some reason... I'm all for freedom of choice when it comes to who and who not to talk to.
I'm sorry Addy, I really am.

Addy

Jun 20, 2020
Ontario
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I'm sorry Addy, I really am.

It's all cool... I am not offended... I am simply perplexed as to why you are so eager and willing to talk to Ziggy and not me.
This is a free forum... You are not obliged to speak to ANYONE you do not desire to.

I am not into small talk... and maybe you are.. which is absolutely cool. No need to apologize... although I do appreciate it.

Windmillcharge

Dec 21, 2017
London
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Not sure how I missed this.

How to falsify Christianity? I am sure that I have for myself over and over, but I was brave enough let go of my beliefs to do that. If that doesn't come first, then there is no way my beliefs would allow me to accept it could be falsified.

Christianity can very easily be shown to be false.

Simple prove Jesus never rose from the dead. If one cannot then one must look again at Jesus's claim to be the Son of God.

I.O.U

Aug 8, 2021
Brisbane
Faith
Agnostic
Country
Australia
Christianity can very easily be shown to be false.

Simple prove Jesus never rose from the dead. If one cannot then one must lookin again at Jesus's claim to be the Son of God.
I do get disprove the accounts of Jesus resurrection by using the 4 main gospel's? Because they'd be the only thing I could use.

Reactions: Ziggy

I.O.U

Aug 8, 2021
Brisbane
Faith
Agnostic
Country
Australia
It's all cool... I am not offended... I am simply perplexed as to why you are so eager and willing to talk to Ziggy and not me.
This is a free forum... You are not obliged to speak to ANYONE you do not desire to.

I am not into small talk... and maybe you are.. which is absolutely cool. No need to apologize... although I do appreciate it.
I just try to keep up with all the replies and bonus questions (Ziggy asked a lot of bonus question's)

Addy

Jun 20, 2020
Ontario
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Well excuse me!
LOL... There you go again... Why would I try and ask you bonus questions when we can't even establish ground level contact??
I'm done here. Enjoy the forums.

I.O.U

Aug 8, 2021
Brisbane
Faith
Agnostic
Country
Australia
LOL... There you go again... Why would I try and ask you bonus questions when we can't even establish ground level contact??
I'm done here. Enjoy the forums.
But are you not the born again Christian who has the light of God, and I the non-believing sinner who is still in darkness?

(I still can-not understand why Christian's expect non-believers to be like Jesus)

Ziggy

Oct 19, 2020
Maine, USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Can you doubt, doubt itself?
I think they call that, 2nd guessing.

I doubt my car will make it to the store.
well, it might make it to the store.
but last time I went it broke down.
But it might not break down this time.
I doubt it.
I don't.

what is doubt? not knowing the facts.
How does one dispell their doubts?
Search for the truth.

I think doubting is healthy. But once you have certainty, then doubts have nothing solid to stand on.

I doubt it will rain.
And then it rains.

Where did that doubt go? It was overcome by fact.

You have to search out truth and facts for yourself. No one can tell you, however they can show you with evidence.

It's easy to doubt one's faith because faith isn't based on what we see, it's based on what one believes is truth.
We walk by faith, not by sight.

I believe my car will get me to the store. The evidence of that faith is when I drive into the parking lot.
But first I must believe.
Believe and ye shall receive.

I don't think you can doubt boubt itself. Because doubt is self evident.
The question I think is, how does one overcome doubt?
You have to prove whatever it is your doubting as fact or lie.

There will always be doubting. But once something doubted has been proven, you need to move on to the next doubt and prove that.
Steps..
Faith is like steps. You take one doubt at a time and prove it.

1Th 5:21 Prove all things; hold fast that which is good.

Hugs

Ziggy

Oct 19, 2020
Maine, USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I do get disprove the accounts of Jesus resurrection by using the 4 main gospel's? Because they'd be the only thing I could use.
Pretty much everything we believe is based on someones account at some point.
Everyone believed the earth was flat once, then everyone believed it was round.
I'm not convinced one way or the other. I have my doubts.
And because I will never step foot in a spaceship to find out, I am content to live with those doubts. lol

The gospels give an account of eye witnesses that said they saw what they saw.
The old testament ... is based on faith. The prophets foretold of one that would come, the Messiah.
The new testament ... is the evidence of that faith.
Many people questioned and doubted whether they could trust the account of the gospels.
So they searched the scriptures daily, proving it.

Act 17:11 These were more noble than those in Thessalonica, in that they received the word with all readiness of mind, and searched the scriptures daily, whether those things were so.

Those in Thessalonica had a better view of what transpired because they lived in a time closer to the events than we do now.
So we are left with believing the accounts of those who also searched to see if it was true.

It's been over 2000 years of people proving the accounts.
If it was all a lie, do you think it would still have the same grip today that it had back then?

Is the earth flat?
Not too many seem to think so. There may be a few hold outs, but the majority believe the earth is round.
Frankly I don't care one way or the other. I don't need to believe that, in order to be a better christian.

The majority of people who have a range of religions and beliefs, believe that Jesus rose from the dead, was seen by many, and was taken up to heaven, and will return.
They believe the earth is round.

The reason why I have faith, the reason why I believe, is because I am my own evidence that through that faith and belief,
I have become a different person than who I was before I first believed.
It changed me.
And I can't think of any greater evidence of faith than the life I am living now.
So in general I believe the earth is round.
If the gospels are a lie, and the old testament is a lie which the gospels are the evidence of,
then I would have to claim the earth is flat.

I don't think we fully understand the bible. It's multiple layers of understanding.
You have the actual physical account that we can know. And then there is the spiritual account that we have to learn and understand.
Belief and faith reside in the heart and mind. They are hidden, like someone's character.
You can see and touch the physical person, but you don't really know them until they reveal their inner self to you.

This inner self, this ego, the I inside this body, in me, has changed.
I don't have stress or anger or a lot of bad traits, I used to be very short tempered and hot headed.
I found peace and ... hard to explain..
I just know that everything is going to be ok, no matter what situation I'm in.
And I know this because I been through a lot of situations where I thought I wouldn't make it through.
But I prayed and I believed that what the bible says is true.
And here I am talking to you.

Pillow Hug
Much Love
Lynda

Brakelite

Feb 6, 2020
Melbourne
brakelite.wordpress.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Can you doubt, doubt itself?
I'm no philosopher. I'm very practical and very normal and far from being academic. And no, I am very aware of doubt, I have many right now, for example, the real motives and intents of our health and government administrators who are so determined to vaccine everyone against a fake pandemic. And grabbed doubts concerning the relevance of statistics regarding that same issue. But that's a different story.
Doubt of God's existence? No. I've never been in doubt as to His existence. Never. However, I have doubted at times, or perhaps I should say wondered, which entertains a certain level of doubt, how far God would go to care for me. Personally.
Over the last 40+years since I met Him, He has proved time and time again that He cares about the little things. He has provided work, housing, a family, not in a general sense, but in detailed answers to prayer in situations where no human agent could or would do whatever was needed.
But regardless of what God has done for me personally during my life, nothing matches what He did for mankind in giving His Son to the human race 2000 years ago. If you want to know... And remove all doubt as to whether God loves you, study Calvary.

Reactions: amadeus and Ziggy

Mantis

Nov 2, 2020
The wilderness
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I knew God existed from my youth. I wasn't raised in a church but I always believed in God. I didn't worship him. I wanted what the god of this world offered. God didn't reveal himself to me until my late twenties. I believe God that everyone deep down really knows God exists. I think these doubts are your flesh making excuses to not follow God.