A Neglected Tool for Praise and Worship: Lifting Up Hands

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Berserk

Apr 13, 2019
Colville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Why do so many Christians ignore an oft repeated biblical command for worship--lifting up our hands? Many Christians get angry when pastors ask then to lift their hands and praise the Lord, arguing that doing so feels showy and unnatural to them and they don't like being manipulated. Paul directly addresses this resistance in 1 Timothy 2:8: "In every place I want men to pray, lifting up holy hands without anger or argument (1 Timothy 2:8)."

Paul finds his authority for this command in Old Testament instructions on how to worship:
"Lift up your hands to the holy place and bless the Lord (Psalm 134:2)."
The act of surrender expressed by raised hands sweetens our prayers like Temple incense:
"Let my prayer be counted as incense before You and the lifting up of my hands as an evening sacrifice (Psalm 131:2)." This verse inspires John's vision in which he sees heavenly elders holding golden bowls full of incense, which are the prayers of the saints (Revelation 5:8).
Lifting up our hands in worship can sweeten our praise by inflaming our passion for God:
"Let us lift up our hearts as well as our hands to God in Heaven (Lam. 3:41)."
"I stretch out my hands to You; my soul; my soul thirsts for You like a parched land. Answer me quickly, Lord; for my spirit fails (Psalm 143:6-7)."

Lifting up hands can also deepen our longing for effective petitionary prayer:
"Pour out your heart like water before the presence of the Lord! Lift your hands to Him for the lives of your children who faint for hunger at the head of every street (Lam. 2:41)."

CharismaticLady

Jun 13, 2019
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Why do so many Christians ignore an oft repeated biblical command for worship--lifting up our hands? Many Christians get angry when pastors ask then to lift their hands and praise the Lord, arguing that doing so feels showy and unnatural to them and they don't like being manipulated. Paul directly addresses this resistance in 1 Timothy 2:8: "In every place I want men to pray, lifting up holy hands without anger or argument (1 Timothy 2:8)."

Paul finds his authority for this command in Old Testament instructions on how to worship:
The act of surrender expressed by raised hands sweetens our prayers like Temple incense:
"Let my prayer be counted as incense before You and the lifting up of my hands as an evening sacrifice (Psalm 131:2)." This verse inspires John's vision in which he sees heavenly elders holding golden bowls full of incense, which are the prayers of the saints (Revelation 5:8).
Lifting up our hands in worship can sweeten our praise by inflaming our passion for God:
"I stretch out my hands to You; my soul; my soul thirsts for You like a parched land. Answer me quickly, Lord; for my spirit fails (Psalm 143:6-7)."

"Pour out your heart like water before the presence of the Lord! Lift your hands to Him for the lives of your children who faint for hunger at the head of every street (Lam. 2:41)."

They all lifted hands where I was filled with the Spirit. But that was in the 70's and 80's. It seems like the Spirit has "left the building" nowadays. And I don't know why that is.

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom

I can't keep my hands by my sides when I'm worshiping. The whole church used to be like that and the sprung floor used to move as people danced in worship. Now, when I go to church it's so different and people say to me after the meeting, "We've missed seeing you worship like that." They should not have been watching me, but doing the same.

Reactions: amadeus and Nancy

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
They all lifted hands where I was filled with the Spirit. But that was in the 70's and 80's. It seems like the Spirit has "left the building" nowadays. And I don't know why that is.
It's the same where I go - there's only me that does it and then when people comment on it I feel uncomfortable.

Reactions: amadeus

Addy

Jun 20, 2020
Ontario
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
@Pearl ....I sooooo miss Corporate Worship... I was so spoiled by the church I went to... 1.5 hours of WORSHIP before church began.
It was so beautiful.... they gave you the necessary time to get into the PRESENCE of GOD... It was such a sweet perfume.

I have not had this experience in over 7 years... since I moved to where I am now... There are NO churches here that seem
to understand the IMPORTANCE of beginning church with GOOD WORSHIP.

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
@Pearl ....I sooooo miss Corporate Worship... I was so spoiled by the church I went to... 1.5 hours of WORSHIP before church began.
It was so beautiful.... they gave you the necessary time to get into the PRESENCE of GOD... It was such a sweet perfume.

I have not had this experience in over 7 years... since I moved to where I am now... There are NO churches here that seem
to understand the IMPORTANCE of beginning church with GOOD WORSHIP.
Sounds like my sort of church @Addy .

Addy

Jun 20, 2020
Ontario
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Sounds like my sort of church @Addy .
Oh my goodness... The two of us together would be floating away... People just don't seem to get it... My favorite place to be is
the THRONE room...
I have been hanging out at the BEACH these last few weeks...and I am learning to come into His Presence by being "still" and just
thanking Him for His Goodness... I begin my day with I love you Father.... I love you Jesus... and I love you Holy Spirit...

I am going to try and buy myself an ipod thingy... that stick thing that you can download music onto... OH my goodness... If I had that
with all my favorite Worship songs..... I might just be able to WALK on water... LOL

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Oh my goodness... The two of us together would be floating away... People just don't seem to get it... My favorite place to be is
the THRONE room...
I have been hanging out at the BEACH these last few weeks...and I am learning to come into His Presence by being "still" and just
thanking Him for His Goodness... I begin my day with I love you Father.... I love you Jesus... and I love you Holy Spirit...

I am going to try and buy myself an ipod thingy... that stick thing that you can download music onto... OH my goodness... If I had that
with all my favorite Worship songs..... I might just be able to WALK on water... LOL
I have a Kindle Fire with a You Tube app and can get praise and worship on that. Also sermons etc from all sorts of people.

Addy

Jun 20, 2020
Ontario
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I don't have a phone... that is the problem.. If I had a phone... I would be good to go... so I need another alternative...
I live on Waterfront property... Not sure if my wifi would extend to the beach... I never tried it... I have a Chrome Book tablet.

I have lived here for 6 years... and I have never enjoyed the lake as much as I am enjoying her this year... I bought a beach chair... a thermos.. and an insulated lunch kit... and I just sit there for hours on end... I usually go at about this time in the morning... ( It's almost 7 am here ).

Reactions: Nancy

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I don't have a phone... that is the problem.. If I had a phone... I would be good to go... so I need another alternative...
I live on Waterfront property... Not sure if my wifi would extend to the beach... I never tried it... I have a Chrome Book tablet.

I have lived here for 6 years... and I have never enjoyed the lake as much as I am enjoying her this year... I bought a beach chair... a thermos.. and an insulated lunch kit... and I just sit there for hours on end... I usually go at about this time in the morning... ( It's almost 7 am here ).
I don't use a mobile phone either @Addy

HeartNSoul19

Jul 6, 2021
Washington DC
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
People commune with their spirit and Creator is different ways and we should all respect one another's means and ways of worship or even those who don't.

For all I know an atheist musician's love for his / her music might be in the eyes of God a lot closer to true worship than any worship I may try to do with my words.

We should always be humble and recognize that every human being has a heart, and that it's this heart that is the gateway to the true temple of worship... that each person communes at some level regardless of whether they might acknowledge their praise and worship in words that you and I might.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think that you do know why! But finger pointing is not a good habit, is it?

Reactions: Pearl

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Oh my goodness... The two of us together would be floating away...
Years ago I had a recurring dream in which I would physically go sailing/floating through the air with minimal effort on my part. That it was "of God" there was never any doubt in my mind. I would go to sleep at night expectant and there it was again. The reality of it began to manifest itself in prayer and worship services.... although no one could "see" me physically fly, I really began to fly in any case...!

It was happening when I was learning to surrender to God more fully as a young new convert to Him, lifting my hands in worship and allowing my legs to dance when the Spirit directed me that way. Yes, to float or fly or sail through the air as the Spirit carried or drew or called me to it. Give God the glory!

Reactions: Heart2Soul

Addy

Jun 20, 2020
Ontario
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Years ago I had a recurring dream in which I would physically go sailing/floating through the air with minimal effort on my part. That it was "of God" there was never any doubt in my mind. I would go to sleep at night expectant and there it was again. The reality of it began to manifest itself in prayer and worship services.... although no one could "see" me physically fly, I really began to fly in any case...!

It was happening when I was learning to surrender to God more fully as a young new convert to Him, lifting my hands in worship and allowing my legs to dance when the Spirit directed me that way. Yes, to float or fly or sail through the air as the Spirit carried or drew or called me to it. Give God the glory!
I can absolutely relate to this... God delights in our Worship... and I think so many things happen in the supernatural when this occurs.

Reactions: amadeus