A Profit for Christ?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Redeemed86

Oct 14, 2011
I saw something on Facebook the other day that I think can be discussed here..

I have daily posts from a Jesus group page on my news feed and one day they advertised baby clothing with Jesus' name and phrases, etc. I know it was done with good intent but I always come back to having a strong conviction in making Christ profitable. W.W.J.D was obviously the most popular several year ago.

I don't wear any jewelry to be honest, but I feel the same way about wearing a cross. Considering that many celebrities, and normal civilians, who are blasphemous towards God in their outward lives wear them, I just think it's become too much of a worldly trend for devout Christians to participate in.

Jesus at the Temple
Matthew 21

12 Jesus entered the temple area and drove out all who were buying and selling there. He overturned the tables of the money changers and the benches of those selling doves. 13It is written,” he said to them, “‘My house will be called a house of prayer,’ but you are making it a ‘den of robbers.’ "

Exodus 20:4
"You shall not make for yourself an idol in the form of anything in heaven above or on the earth beneath or in the waters below"

Reading this, I can't see how putting Jesus' name on an item of clothing or making a small replica of the cross for yourself is free of this commandment. If Jesus' anger was aroused at the Temple, I can't imagine he would be too pleased with his name being reduced to a catch phrase.

If the power is in the living God and he works on the inside, then what good is wearing something on the outside? Where is that idolatrous line drawn?

Is anyone else convicted by this?
What do you guys think?

Prentis

May 25, 2011
Montreal, Qc
Christian catch phrases often miss the power and what matters...

But I don't see those kind of things as evil either. It simply represents something.

Yes, if someone is not living, what good is it? And yes, many things like this are more of a turn off, and just a cultural thing, than actually christian.

But not necessarily evil for so much. :)

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We are free to express our love and faith in God in any manner we wish to express it I could careless if secular people express their beliefs about materialism and consumerism using the same symbols - it has no barring on my behavior. People are not looking for Christ in the cross I wear, but in my behavior and love towards them.

prism

Blood-Soaked
Jan 24, 2011
So. Cal
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yeah, I chuckle at all the taboo against 'images' of Jesus from some of the more legalistic denominational persuasions and then look at their children's Sunday School curriculum...all in full color.