A puzzling verse about heaven and earth

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jesus said- "Heaven and earth will pass away, but my words will never pass away" (Matthew 24:35)
What exactly does "pass away" mean ?
Seems the earth needs old things to pass away and all things become new just like we do, ha. There will be a new heavens and a new earth according to the bible. Does He destroy this present earth, or just re-form it. No idea.

Dropship

Jun 2, 2022
Plymouth UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Seems the earth needs old things to pass away and all things become new just like we do, ha. There will be a new heavens and a new earth according to the bible. Does He destroy this present earth, or just re-form it. No idea.

Food for thought- As we become purely spiritual non-material beings after we die, the atoms-and-molecule material earth (if it still exists) will have no interest for us whatever, it'll be ancient history..:)
"So will it be with the resurrection of the dead. The body that is sown is perishable, it is raised imperishable...it is sown a natural body, it is raised a spiritual body.. flesh and blood cannot inherit the kingdom of God" (1 Corinthians 15:42-50)

Reactions: Helen and Nancy

Charlie24

Feb 24, 2021
Monroe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jesus said- "Heaven and earth will pass away, but my words will never pass away" (Matthew 24:35)

The Greek word for "passed away" in Rev. 21:1 is "parerchomai."

From what I have read, it never means annihilation, it refers to changing from one condition to another.

It seems "the elements will be burned up" as Peter said, is a refurbishing of the face of the existing earth.

That is what I have read many times. It is the end of all traces of sin on earth from the beginning of time.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Revelation 20:11 KJV
And I saw a great white throne, and him that sat on it, from whose face the earth and the heaven fled away; and there was found no place for them.

Much love!

Reactions: TLHKAJ

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Food for thought- As we become purely spiritual non-material beings after we die, the atoms-and-molecule material earth (if it still exists) will have no interest for us whatever, it'll be ancient history..:)
"So will it be with the resurrection of the dead. The body that is sown is perishable, it is raised imperishable...it is sown a natural body, it is raised a spiritual body.. flesh and blood cannot inherit the kingdom of God" (1 Corinthians 15:42-50)

A conundrum to me as, what of the new heavens and the new earth?
"The meek shall inherit the earth". The meek...humans? We now have a spirit, and hopefully it is His spirit! We will have new bodies just as Jesus did. It will be "on earth as it is in heaven." Heaven is God's throne, and The Kingdom of God is within us.
Will we be new creatures with His Spirit, wholly, while living on the new earth to worship Him? Will the new earth be only for certain Jews? He goes to prepare a place for us and we will one day be with Him...in heaven or on the new earth? Yeah conundrum to me.

Dropship

Jun 2, 2022
Plymouth UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
We can only guess at it because our weak human minds haven't the horsepower to understand everything..:)
Jesus said- "You hardly believe me when I tell you earthly things, so how would you believe me if I told you heavenly things?....
....I know where I came from and where I am going, but you have no idea where I come from or where I am going.....you are of this world, I am not of this world" (John 3:12,John 10:38,8:14,8:23)

A possible clue about the nature of the afterlife is this one-
Jesus said-
"On that day you will realize that I am in my Father, and you are in me, and I am in you" (John 14:20)
So perhaps heaven is like one great "soul pool" where we become ONE with God, Jesus and all christians, no more individuality, no more loneliness etc..:)

Reactions: Nancy

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
A conundrum to me as, what of the new heavens and the new earth?
"The meek shall inherit the earth". The meek...humans? We now have a spirit, and hopefully it is His spirit! We will have new bodies just as Jesus did. It will be "on earth as it is in heaven." Heaven is God's throne, and The Kingdom of God is within us.
Will we be new creatures with His Spirit, wholly, while living on the new earth to worship Him? Will the new earth be only for certain Jews? He goes to prepare a place for us and we will one day be with Him...in heaven or on the new earth? Yeah conundrum to me.
I think you're on the right track. Disregard that "12-in or 12-out?" speculation about the Millenial Kingdom; the New Earth is the final home for God's people when behold, God makes all things new. And God's home will be with us on the New Earth:

3 And I heard a loud voice from the throne, saying, “Behold, the tabernacle of God is among the people, and He will dwell among them, and they shall be His people, and God Himself will be among them." (Revelation 21:3)

If you're interested in a good book about the Christian's ultimate destiny, I recommend N.T. Wright's Surprised by Hope. Our destiny is not "going to Heaven" and existing in some disembodied Gnostic Nirvana, but living with God on the New Earth in Spirit-powered bodies.

We can only guess at it because our weak human minds haven't the horsepower to understand everything.

9 but just as it is written:

“Things which eye has not seen and ear has not heard,
And which have not entered the human heart,
All that God has prepared for those who love Him.”

(1 Corinthians 2:9)

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think you're on the right track. Disregard that "12-in or 12-out?" speculation about the Millenial Kingdom; the New Earth is the final home for God's people when behold, God makes all things new. And God's home will be with us on the New Earth:

3 And I heard a loud voice from the throne, saying, “Behold, the tabernacle of God is among the people, and He will dwell among them, and they shall be His people, and God Himself will be among them." (Revelation 21:3)

If you're interested in a good book about the Christian's ultimate destiny, I recommend N.T. Wright's Surprised by Hope. Our destiny is not "going to Heaven" and existing in some disembodied Gnostic Nirvana, but living with God on the New Earth in Spirit-powered bodies.

9 but just as it is written:

“Things which eye has not seen and ear has not heard,
And which have not entered the human heart,
All that God has prepared for those who love Him.”

(1 Corinthians 2:9)
Well put, and agreed :)

Reactions: Lambano

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
2 Peter 3:10
10 But the day of the Lord will come like a thief. The heavens will disappear with a roar; the elements will be destroyed by fire, and the earth and everything done in it will be laid bare.

Dropship

Jun 2, 2022
Plymouth UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
2 Peter 3:10
10 But the day of the Lord will come like a thief. The heavens will disappear with a roar; the elements will be destroyed by fire, and the earth and everything done in it will be laid bare.

Yes and perhaps "heavens" in that context simply means the material universe itself will vanish, but Christians will be safe in the 'real' heaven..:)

Reactions: Helen

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Yes and perhaps "heavens" in that context simply means the material universe itself will vanish, but Christians will be safe in the 'real' heaven..:)
At Earths creation the 'heavens' as we understand them were also created. What lies beyond this Universe (heavens) is currently outside of man's knowing.
What has been revealed is that these will be rolled up as a garment so to speak, and changed.

It boggles my mind to think of the process. Peter speaks of it vanishing with a great noise. The word 'great' in this context has got to be the greatest understatement of all time.

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
At Earths creation the 'heavens' as we understand them were also created. What lies beyond this Universe (heavens) is currently outside of man's knowing.
What has been revealed is that these will be rolled up as a garment so to speak, and changed.

It boggles my mind to think of the process. Peter speaks of it vanishing with a great noise. The word 'great' in this context has got to be the greatest understatement of all time.

Talk about a Big Bang! Only…in reverse.

Reactions: Helen and Nancy

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Talk about a Big Bang! Only…in reverse.
considering this context I kind of get the descriptions (or shall I say, their attempts) by the OT prophets of 'the day of God'

It seems to me they saw events in vision or dreams which they did their best to describe with the limitations of language and their understanding of the known universe (the world and the various bodies visible to the naked eye)

Reactions: stunnedbygrace

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
considering this context I kind of get the descriptions (or shall I say, their attempts) by the OT prophets of 'the day of God'

It seems to me they saw events in vision or dreams which they did their best to describe with the limitations of language and their understanding of the known universe (the world and the various bodies visible to the naked eye)

Yeah…it’s really odd. Prophecy and dreams are very odd and mysterious. Seven fat cows can be seven years! Jesus is seen by a man as a ladder!

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Yeah…it’s really odd. Prophecy and dreams are very odd and mysterious. Seven fat cows can be seven years! Jesus is seen by a man as a ladder!
This podcast is not exactly along the immediate lines of this short discussion but it speaks to the principle. I've just finished listening to it. You might interested?
Give it a minute to load.
104 Jesus Is The ONE!