A Question for Jehovah's Witnesses

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I am. You're saying the WatchTower was WRONG!
Do you feel some kind of victory in making such a statement. What is better?
  • OPTION A. A denomination embraces constant learning and changes based on new information.
  • OPTION B. A denomination that rigidly holds fast to ideas proven to be incorrect

Please answer A or B. Thanks.

Reactions: Runningman

Jack

May 3, 2022
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Do you feel some kind of victory in making such a statement. What is better?
  • OPTION A. A denomination embraces constant learning and changes based on new information.
  • OPTION B. A denomination that rigidly holds fast to ideas proven to be incorrect

Please answer A or B. Thanks.
Victory? Only if I can pull some JW fans from Hell fire.

Jack

May 3, 2022
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You fancy yourself the savior?
Why do you want to say such a Satanic thing? Jesus is the Savior, not Michael nor me.
And if did not escape my notice that you didn’t answer the question.
What do you want to know? Michael is not the Savior? Michael is an angel who WORSHIPS Jesus the Creator.

Last edited:

Keiw

Jan 17, 2022
upstate NY
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
John was originally written in all capitals.

"Originally the Bible was written in all capital letters without punctuation, accent marks, or spaces between the words. John 1:1 began, ΕΝΑΡΧΗΗΝΟΛΟΓΟΣ. Capital letters, or “majuscules,” were used until the sixth century A.D. (“Uncials” are a form of capital letters.) “Cursive” script is like our handwriting where the letters are joined together and is also called "minuscule." Cursive script was created before the time of Christ but became popular in the ninth century A.D. In Greek texts today, John 1:1 begins, ̓Εν ἀρχῇ ἦν ὁ λόγος." An Introduction to the Biblical Greek Alphabet
the point is the word is not called God at John 1:1-a god is correct the way its worded.

• Love
Reactions: Wrangler

Jack

May 3, 2022
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
They made errors,
Thank your for stating the WatchTower makes errors in their bibles! Tip of their iceberg!
then corrected them.
You mean like when the WatchTower also EDITED out Peter's comment to Jesus, "Lord you know ALL THINGS"?
Trinity religions live by errors and NEVER correct them.
Oh that's right, you said our Bibles are errors and Satanic!

Jack

May 3, 2022
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
the point is the word is not called God at John 1:1-a god is correct the way its worded.
John 20 Thomas said to Jesus, "My Lord and my GOD"! Your JW bible says so!

RedFan

May 15, 2022
New Hampshire
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The point is that with all capitals, we cannot tell one way or another whether "God" or "god" is intended.

Keiw

Jan 17, 2022
upstate NY
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The point is that with all capitals, we cannot tell one way or another whether "God" or "god" is intended.
Yes all can. The trinity scholars know they teach lies. In the Greek lexicons at both John 1:1 and 2 Cor 4:4, 2 beings are called Theon( God or god) But to show the difference at both spots the true God is called Ton Theon=God, the word and satan are both called Theon= god when in the same paragraph with Ton Theon. There have been many translations in history with a god at John 1:1

Jack

May 3, 2022
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes all can. The trinity scholars know they teach lies. In the Greek lexicons at both John 1:1 and 2 Cor 4:4, 2 beings are called Theon( God or god) But to show the difference at both spots the true God is called Ton Theon=God, the word and satan are both called Theon= god when in the same paragraph with Ton Theon. There have been many translations in history with a god at John 1:1
Nobody seems to know why but I believe Trinity discussion is banned here.

Last edited:

RedFan

May 15, 2022
New Hampshire
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Everybody concedes that "god" is ascribed in Scripture to non-deity beings and even mortal beings dozens of times. I thought we were discussing whether John 1:1 was such a time. And my point was simply that with all capitals in the original, your claim in Post #816 ("Like capitol G God to the word at John 1:1, it is not that way in the Greek lexicons. Its why throughout history Greek scholars translated a god into many translations.") cannot be right.

Now, if you want to advance a different argument for "why throughout history Greek scholars translated a god into many translations" -- and can sneak it past the moderators -- have at it.

Runningman

Dec 3, 2023
Southeast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It can be "a god" I admit, but "theos" can also be used in a qualitative sense (the quality, attributes, or characteristics of someone or something.) The language in John 1 doesn't require the Word be a literal pre-existent being as a result.

For example, 2 Corinthians 1:12 refers to godly sorrow. 2 Corinthians 7:11 refers to a godly sort. 1 Tim 1:4 refers to godly edification. Each of these describe qualities of someone or something, even though they use the same exact word for the Word is theos in John 1:1.

This is the challenge with translating something. So even though I don't disagree with your translation, I say it's at least subjective if there are no examples of the Word pre-existing as a god. Are there any? Perhaps not. I can't find anything clear or explicit though I have a suspicion you could be right.

We can just as easily say that John 1:1 applies personification to the Word and there is ample evidence for that, too, where the Word (logos) and Jesus are in the same context they are not the same person or thing. 1 John 1:1-3 also refers to the "Word of Life" as an it, a thing, that was revealed or manifested in a man.

Just something to think about.