A question for mormons.

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So, are we saved by God’s Grace, as believed by Protestants and Catholics and reflected in the BOM or are we saved because of our faith, believed by Luther who was looking for any reasoning to break from the Catholic Church? Also, the fact is, faith is a gift from God and requires us to act upon it; our participation is a work! Faith and works cannot be separated, as James points out, to Luther’s chagrin.
Consider Romans 4:4-8.

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
1 Corinthians 8:1-3 comes to mind. Knowledge is often imperfect. Love is most important.

But if someone knows something about God; and then declares something that is not true of God contrary to their knowledge: I believe that they will be held accountable.

Last edited:

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Consider Romans 4:4-8.

Paul is speaking to Jewish converts, who are used to fulfilling religious commitments to God rather than participating in a loving, intimate relationship based on faith/works. You are failing to recognize the context and Paul’s audience

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I acknowledge your belief that they are 1 person.
They are (He is) both one Person and three Persons.

Rom 11:33, O the depth of the riches both of the wisdom and knowledge of God! how unsearchable are his judgments, and his ways past finding out!
Rom 11:34, For who hath known the mind of the Lord? or who hath been his counsellor?
Rom 11:35, Or who hath first given to him, and it shall be recompensed unto him again?
Rom 11:36, For of him, and through him, and to him, are all things: to whom be glory for ever. Amen.

Isa 55:9, For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts.

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Paul is speaking to Jewish converts, who are used to fulfilling religious commitments to God rather than participating in a loving, intimate relationship based on faith/works. You are failing to recognize the context and Paul’s audience
Scripture stands as truth as we read it at face value; historical context is rarely needed to be able to understand what has been written. Otherwise we would be reliant on history teachers in order to be able to correctly understand the Bible.

It should be clear that according to the passage, "To him that worketh not but believeth on him that justifieth the ungodly, his faith is counted for righteousness;" and also that "God imputeth righteousness without (apart from) works."

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Also, this thread is the ultimate irony....

Christians arguing that faith “alone” saves you and using it to target LDS.

LDS do not have a faith problem - the only issue we all disagree on is doctrine, not faith.

So, based on this, LDS with faith are saved! Unless you all believe right doctrine saves you.....

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Scripture stands as truth as we read it at face value; historical context is rarely needed to be able to understand what has been written.

It should be clear that according to the passage, "To him that worketh not but believeth on him that justifieth the ungodly, his faith is counted for righteousness;" and also that "God imputes righteousness apart from works."

Last edited by a moderator:

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Oh I guess I should have said horse rakka......I apologize

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Also, this thread is the ultimate irony....

Christians arguing that faith “alone” saves you and using it to target LDS.

LDS do not have a faith problem - the only issue we all disagree on is doctrine, not faith.

So, based on this, LDS with faith are saved! Unless you all believe right doctrine saves you.....
However, according to your own religion ye are saved by grace after all that ye can do.

And faith must be according to the truth.

If your religion is correct then you have failed to do all that ye can do and therefore you cannot be a recipient of grace.

If mine is correct then the fact that you are believing in lies means that your faith is not in the right object and therefore misplaced, so that you are even not saved.

i am surprised you bothered to read one of my posts

Have we encountered each other somewhere before?

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Oh I guess I should have said horse rakka......I apologize

Eph 4:29, Let no corrupt communication proceed out of your mouth, but that which is good to the use of edifying, that it may minister grace unto the hearers.

Col 3:8, But now ye also put off all these; anger, wrath, malice, blasphemy, filthy communication out of your mouth.

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@justbyfaith

The real issues are at least twofold.

1) Their "christ" is not the Christ of Scripture, but is a created being, brother (literal) of Satan. Consider John 8:24.

2) Their gospel, by their own admission, is "another testament of Jesus Christ." Consider Galatians 1:8-10, there is no other Gospel.

Also consider Mormons will not own up to their own documented teachings. This is a well known trait of this cult.

Apologia Studios and Cultish are two good sources that witness to Mormons and provide great resources into this false "christian" sect.
Yes and you worship a demon god, so don't give us any lip.

Jane_Doe22

Jul 29, 2018
Mid-west USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
However, according to your own religion ye are saved by grace after all that ye can do.

And faith must be according to the truth.

If your religion is correct then you have failed to do all that ye can do and therefore you cannot be a recipient of grace.

If mine is correct then the fact that you are believing in lies means that your faith is not in the right object and therefore misplaced, so that you are even not saved.

Have we encountered each other somewhere before?
@aspen is... catholic (? I think).

Reactions: aspen

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Just by faith

anyone can be a scripture monkey......isolating words and flinging them at the board with private context and interpretation - I am not impressed

Attachments

• 2EB6B79E-972E-4AB0-B090-AB6AE26F5631.png
    2EB6B79E-972E-4AB0-B090-AB6AE26F5631.png
    40.5 KB · Views: 0

Jane_Doe22

Jul 29, 2018
Mid-west USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
My apologies, @aspen.

It appeared that you were jumping on the bandwagon to defend Mormonism for a brief moment there.

If anything you have salvation by works in common.
Neither LDS Christians, Protestant Christians, or Catholic Christians believe that a person "earns" salvation. All of them believe that Christ saves and that we should have faith in Him. All also believe that real living faith is a transformation of whole self (mind, might, action, heart) and that a disciple of Christ should also be walking the walk.

Trying to proselytize by saying "no works"! is actually counter-productive because it give the impression that the proselytizer does NOT believe in that full transformation and instead that their view of the Gospel is that of cheap grace.

Reactions: amadeus

Prayer Warrior

Sep 20, 2018
U.S.A.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Horse ****
Hi, Aspen, I just wanted you to know that I reported this post as profanity. I was reading through this thread and came upon your post. I don’t like this word. I don’t need it in my mind, and I certainly don’t need it coming out of my mouth. I would appreciate it if you would refrain from using it in this forum.

BTW, as an English teacher, I often told my students that any dunderhead can use profanity to express his thoughts. I encouraged them to be more creative and speak more intelligently.

Last edited:

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Just by faith

anyone can be a scripture monkey......isolating words and flinging them at the board with private context and interpretation - I am not impressed

I happen to be a scripture human...and no, not everyone knows scripture well enough to be able to quote it properly at opportune times.

Case in point:

Pro 25:11, A word fitly spoken is like apples of gold in pictures of silver.

Neither LDS Christians, Protestant Christians, or Catholic Christians believe that a person "earns" salvation. All of them believe that Christ saves and that we should have faith in Him. All also believe that real living faith is a transformation of whole self (mind, might, action, heart) and that a disciple of Christ should also be walking the walk.

Trying to proselytize by saying "no works"! is actually counter-productive because it give the impression that the proselytizer does NOT believe in that full transformation and instead that their view of the Gospel is that of cheap grace.

We are not saved by works; we are saved unto good works: and this is an important distinction to be made; lest anyone think that they can give money to the poor and that this will save them when they are omitting the most important factor...faith in the true Christ.

Last edited: